PDA

View Full Version : TE and WR projections

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Without being specific about names.

Are there any TE's or WR's that you draft guys project as Top 11-15 draft picks?

And how about DT's?

Devin
12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Top 10-15?

DT's = 2

Glenn Dorsey who will be gone in the top 5 and Sedrick Ellis who is the penetrating type DT we need. He is probably a 7-12 type projection least for now and someone we have a shot at.

There are no projected 1st round TE's but about 3-5 guys between the 2nd and 4th rounds.

As for WRs you have a pretty deep class however as far as top 10-15 tough to say. You maybe have a few fringe guys but no real elite prospects.

Malcolm Kelly, Desean Jackson, Sweed, Manningham, Doucet, Bowman....etc.

As I said a deep year but in regards to your question I suppose you could make an argument for Malcolm Kelly in the mid 1st range.

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
What type of WR is Kelly? Give me a WR in the NFL you could see him becoming.

(I'm about to start hitting the net, magazines and college writers HARD to study up on guys. This is the least I've followed college ball in over a decade)

Devin
12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Ill preface this by saying I do not want us draftring a WR in 1 or 2, that I hope we sign a WR in FA and that it is my biggest hope we draft Sedrick Ellis, DT.

Kelly is 6-4 220lbs and is your prototypical possession guy. He has never put up mind blowing numbers but has been very steady posting 1700 yards the past two seasons combined.

He has 4.5 speed and phenomenal hands, has made quite a few acrobatic catches the past few years. He is not a very good blocker considering his size and is still somewhat raw. Hes a great athlete but is not terribly strong and most scouting reports say he will have trouble seperating at the next level.

His most often NFL comparison ive heard is Braylon Edwards, but thats moreso physical attributes rather then talent.

With so many options at WR this draft I simply cannot justify spending our #1 there.

ParanoidAndroid
12-31-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree, Devin. I'm of the opinion that we need a big, nasty DT to occupy blockers, rather than another smaller, penetrating DT. I think if McCargo is doubled less, he will be a force. His progression has been steady. I was also thinking Gholston in the first. A true weapon at DE is what this cover-2 needs. Right now, we have 2 coverage sack artists.
With the number of talented receivers coming out this year, we should be able to do well in the 2nd or 3rd. At TE, Rucker is plain nasty and I hope he is a Bill next year.
I wouldn't be opposed to signing a FA WR, drafting Rucker and a couple of WR's on day 2. That way, we could go after Gholston, Rucker, maybe Red Bryant at DT, and Phillip Wheeler at OLB with our first 4 picks.

jpdex12
12-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Ill preface this by saying I do not want us draftring a WR in 1 or 2, that I hope we sign a WR in FA and that it is my biggest hope we draft Sedrick Ellis, DT.

Kelly is 6-4 220lbs and is your prototypical possession guy. He has never put up mind blowing numbers but has been very steady posting 1700 yards the past two seasons combined.

He has 4.5 speed and phenomenal hands, has made quite a few acrobatic catches the past few years. He is not a very good blocker considering his size and is still somewhat raw. Hes a great athlete but is not terribly strong and most scouting reports say he will have trouble seperating at the next level.

His most often NFL comparison ive heard is Braylon Edwards, but thats moreso physical attributes rather then talent.

With so many options at WR this draft I simply cannot justify spending our #1 there.

Dead nuts on with your assessment! There will be a good prospect in round three we can go after as there should be no question about us going after a good #2 WR in FA. Jerry Porter or Bryant Johnson are the two biggest FA WR's with potential. You have Wilford as well but he's average at best like Porter and Johnson. Johnson intrigues me the most as he has been hidden behind Fitz and Boldin.

Ellis would be a great 1st round pick but I don't see him lasting until #11. I am too nervous about big WR's in the 1st round as quite a few top WR picks have been busts...Mike Johnson...Jerrett...