PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sullivan: New GM must insist upon turnover of dull offense

shelby
12-31-2007, 05:59 AM
It could also be fortuitous to have Marv Levy stepping aside after two years as the general manager. Levy helped change the culture of the organization, elevating the overall mood at One Bills Drive and presiding over two solid drafts that brought some bright, talented players into the fold.
But the Bills have some big decisions to make. Ralph C. Wilson Jr. needs to build on the promise of Levy's first two years by bringing in a fresh set of eyes — a forceful, experienced personnel man who can take a more hands-on approach than Levy. Wilson needs a GM who can work closely with Jauron — but also challenge Jauron's football vision if necessary.
That starts with hiring an offensive coordinator to replace Fairchild. I tried to be patient with Fairchild, knowing how deficient the Bills were at the receiver positions. But it was maddening at times to watch him call games. Too often, his coaching betrayed a lack of faith in his own players, and an unwillingness to take chances and attack defenses.
Sunday was Fairchild's final game as the Bills' offensive coordinator. You'd have thought he might open it up, just to have a little fun. But he adhered to his conservative nature. The Bills got into the red zone three times and didn't throw into the end zone.
Maybe Edwards was too quick to check down to the flat. But the calls sure seemed designed to go that way. Twice the Bills got inside the Eagles' 10-yard line in the third quarter. Every play was a run or a quick throw to the flat. Edwards completed 16 passes, 12 of them to tight ends or running backs. We've seen it before, too many times, regardless of the quarterback.
Fairchild's careful approach was to some extent a reflection of Jauron, a defensive coach whose idea of a good offensive day is one when you don't commit a turnover. The Bills have two promising rookies in Edwards and running back Marshawn Lynch. They need a coordinator who will dare to be great, which means daring to fail. It would be refreshing to watch an offensive coordinator who demonstrates a belief in his players, even when it's not warranted.
That's why Levy's decision to retire could be timely. It gives Wilson a chance to hire a GM who can influence the hiring of Jauron's next coordinator and create more healthy separation between Jauron and the play calling.
There's sentiment within the team to elevate Turk Schonert, the quarterbacks coach, to offensive coordinator. Presumably, they would run the same offense and maintain continuity for the players. I can understand the reluctance to change offensive systems again. It would be a jarring adjustment, especially for the rookies.
But is it really in their best interest to keep Fairchild's offense in place? I'd advocate a complete departure. Get a new coordinator in here, someone who can bring out the best in Edwards, Lynch and — hopefully — a bigger, more dynamic receiving corps. Schonert has spent more time with Edwards than anyone. Leave him as quarterbacks coach.
It goes beyond the offense. The defense did some amazing things this year, despite a rash of injuries. They'll be better when they get healthy. But they also need some major upgrades. They need impact players at outside linebacker and defensive tackle, guys who make a difference regardless of scheme.
The Bills are 14-18 in two years under Jauron. They were one of the NFL's feel-good stories this year, and they made Buffalo proud. But it's time to raise the standard for everyone — for Jauron, for his assistants, for Edwards and Lynch on down the line.
That's why it's an ideal time for a new GM, a respected, independent mind who can review the situation and help get it to the next level. Marv did a great job of making people feel better. It's about getting people to play better now.

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/240002.html)

Historian
12-31-2007, 06:06 AM
I couldn't understand that either.

They had nothing to lose, yet played that boring vanilla pre-season offense.

What a bunch of idiots.

And the NFL needs to take the field goal out of football.

Or at least weight the points it scores by it's distance.

YardRat
12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
I don't think the elevation of Schonert necessarily means new guy, same exact system. I'd like to see Turk, if he does get the job, keep the basic package, add a few wrinkles of his own, and develop a more attacking-type attitude.

The car isn't broke just because the previous driver was a chicken-****.

YardRat
12-31-2007, 06:11 AM
I couldn't understand that either.

They had nothing to lose, yet played that boring vanilla pre-season offense.

What a bunch of idiots.

And the NFL needs to take the field goal out of football.

Or at least weight the points it scores by it's distance.

I agree...If I were Fairchild I would have let Schonert handle the game-planning/play-calling the last two weeks of the year and give him some OJT...maybe even just to audition for the OC job at C-State and maybe take him with me. Either that or open it up a little bit and have some fun.

Kerr
12-31-2007, 09:53 AM
I agree...If I were Fairchild I would have let Schonert handle the game-planning/play-calling the last two weeks of the year and give him some OJT...maybe even just to audition for the OC job at C-State and maybe take him with me. Either that or open it up a little bit and have some fun.

I think that decision was up to more jauron. Jauron f'ed up these last two weeks by mainting the same boring useless offensive approach by not released fairchild of his duties.

billsburgh
12-31-2007, 09:55 AM
"Offensively, we did a pretty good job of not turning it over."

if that's the best he can say....................:sadwalk:

HHURRICANE
12-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Sullivan nailed it.

Fairchild called his worst game of the year. The key to being a great OC is the play calling. This is one of the reasons why NE is so awesome. There OC is like 32 and does a phenomenal job.

Turk Schonert would be a gigantic mistake. With that said Ralph is so fing cheap that i would bet money this is what happens.

raphael120
12-31-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm done with Jauron. If he's our coach next year I'm going to just watch college football or something.

I can't take him anymore. What a gutless waste of space.

"Offensively we didn't turn it over"

MULARKEY!