PDA

View Full Version : Why did they hire Levy for 2 years?

THATHURMANATOR
12-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Makes no sense.

They need to bring in a GM that is not a yes man. He can keep Jauron if he wants but the GM must be in control of the OC hire.

Night Train
12-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Because Ralph needed to sleep better at night. He said so right in the papers. Familiar face who wouldn't screw him.

The next GM will probably be someone who already has an office at OBD. I doubt Ralph has anyone that could help him find an actual football mind outside of the office. Plus he could never pay another coach low wages like Jauron.

THATHURMANATOR
12-31-2007, 08:40 AM
You would think that at 90 years old Wilson would just say **** it and spend whatever it takes....

DynaPaul
12-31-2007, 09:30 AM
You'd think he'd want a Lombardi trophy before he croaks.

THATHURMANATOR
12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
I hate this. Seems like yet again we are starting all over again. :shakeno:

Jan Reimers
12-31-2007, 11:15 AM
They didn't think he would live any longer than that.

Nighthawk
12-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Makes no sense.

They need to bring in a GM that is not a yes man. He can keep Jauron if he wants but the GM must be in control of the OC hire.

It's very simple. Marv was brought in to bring fans back and stop the anger they had towards the organization. He wasn't a GM, he was a figure head.

djjimkelly
12-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Makes no sense.

to keep selling tickets after the donablow era and to give bills fans a warm fuzzy feeling.

djjimkelly
12-31-2007, 11:29 AM

maybe this time we will do it right. hopefully

YardRat
12-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Ralph thought Marv was too old to go any longer.

Cleve
12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
It was yet another 'band-aid' measure applied by the front office at OBD. Two more wasted years.

What Wilson should have done, two years ago, is get a young aggressive competent GM to start building a championship team. Unfortunately, that would require Wilson spending money. He needed Polian 2 - was I the only one in Western NY that felt Levy was just plain too old for the job?

It seems increasingly for Wilson the "right" answer is to spend as little money as possible. He got Mularkey cheap, he got Levy cheap, and he got Jauron cheap. I really doubt that Levy's replacement will be a top shelf prospect. Just another bandaid for a couple years, to keep a passable number of fans buying team merchandise and stadium tickets.

DMBcrew36
12-31-2007, 12:00 PM
It's very simple. Marv was brought in to bring fans back and stop the anger they had towards the organization. He wasn't a GM, he was a figure head.

Exactly. People were wearing 'fire Donahoe' t-shirts to games and practically rioting to get rid of him. Hiring Marv calmed the fans down and brought back some mystique and hope.

IAG
12-31-2007, 12:00 PM
It was for PR...nothing else. If John Guy is selected it is to save money.

THATHURMANATOR
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Makes sense.

Nighthawk
12-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Makes sense.

Yeah, it still is very frustrating though if you are a true football fan and want to see your team win a championship. Ralphy just hasn't made many right decisions in the past 10 years or so.

Jeff1220
12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
You guys underestimate what Marv did here in that two years. Obviously, the Bills are not yet a playoff team. But, before Marv, the Bills were a non-playoff team that was also maxed out in talent and age. This is an extremely young team with tons of upside.
More importantly, the players seem to have good chemistry and want to play and win for Buffalo. That counts for a lot. Marv's philosophy in team building has been very good for this club, now we just need to see a few of these young, high-character guys bloom and pick up a few more pieces.
When TD left, it seemed like there wasn't a player out there who'd want to play for this organization. The players didn't seem to trust the FO, the fans hated the FO, and the mostly over-the hill players were making an exodus.
Morale and chemistry counts for a lot and I credit Marv with creating a solid base in two seasons for whatever GM takes over the helm!

patmoran2006
12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
You guys underestimate what Marv did here in that two years. Obviously, the Bills are not yet a playoff team. But, before Marv, the Bills were a non-playoff team that was also maxed out in talent and age. This is an extremely young team with tons of upside.
More importantly, the players seem to have good chemistry and want to play and win for Buffalo. That counts for a lot. Marv's philosophy in team building has been very good for this club, now we just need to see a few of these young, high-character guys bloom and pick up a few more pieces.
When TD left, it seemed like there wasn't a player out there who'd want to play for this organization. The players didn't seem to trust the FO, the fans hated the FO, and the mostly over-the hill players were making an exodus.
Morale and chemistry counts for a lot and I credit Marv with creating a solid base in two seasons for whatever GM takes over the helm!
Unless your playing scrubs like the Jets and Dolphins, guys who like each other and want to win and play hard for the fans of Buffalo doesn't win football games.

Talent does, and to date we don't have nearly enough of it.

yordad
12-31-2007, 04:06 PM
I think Marv was hired as a sort of a team god father. Someone the Wilsons trusted to make team decisions when R. Wilson dies. But, Levy isn't getting any younger. And RW will probably out live us all.

madness
12-31-2007, 04:54 PM

No, that was two years ago. Available GM's are going to look at Buffalo very seriously with the foundation Marv has built. Our new GM has a head start before he even walks through the door at OBD.

RedEyE
12-31-2007, 05:37 PM
My guess is ticket sales.

jamze132
12-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Makes no sense.

Ralph had to do something that would get us fans excited about Bills football after the Donahoe debacle. He succeeded. I think the plan all along was for Marv to come in for a couple years then hand the job to Modrak... if he's interested, which I am hoping he is.