PDA

View Full Version : My very, very early 2008 roster

Scumbag College
12-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Using the Bills roster at http://buffalobills.com/team/roster.html and draz54's list at http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=142993 just a quick look at what I would like to see done with the roster.

QB- TE. Bubble-JP. Gone- Hamdan.

As much as I like JP, I really can't see the Bills keeping him as a backup. I'm only making him a bubble player because he's on the last year of a contract and to get a quality backup, the Bills would have to spend. If he does go, he'll get traded around draft time for whatever the Bills can get or cut outright. I have no clue what Hamdan is capable of, however he was brought in because he knows Fairchild's offense.

RB- Marshawn, Jackson, Wright. On the bubble- A-Train. Gone- Shaud.

The Bills are pretty set here. The only way A-Train stays is because he's a DJ guy and is the best pass blocker of the bunch. However, if any of the RBs can improve their blocking and blitz pickups, he has to go. I don't know how Shaud is still around.

FB- Schouman

I liked him, and I was disappointed when he was put onto IR this year.

WR- Evans, Reed, Parrish. On the bubble- Mayle, Jenkins. Gone- Price, Aiken (UFA).

Evans is by far one of the most valuable players on this team, the offense nearly shut down in the second half of the Philly game when he was out injured. Reed had his best year since his rookie season and Parrish needs to get more involved with the offense. Price is done, and Aiken needs to go. This team isn't good enough to keep around 5 or 6 players for the sole purpose of special teams. Maybe Mayle or Jenkins can catch on as a 5th or possibly 6th receiver if the Bills keep 6, however I haven't seen enough of them to make any judgment. This is a position that needs to be addressed in FA and/or a first day draft pick.

TE- Royal. On the bubble-Neufeld (UFA), Gaines(UFA). Gone- the rest (too many to list.)

Royal is OK at best, wouldn't mind having him around as a second TE. Gaines looks great sometimes, but also has dropped some pretty big passes this year. Both Gaines and Neufeld have been used in the FB position, and maybe one of them is kept around as a third or fourth TE/backup FB. The rest of the guys are just bodies and are below average. Another position the Bills should use a first day pick on or address in FA.

OL- Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Butler, Walker, Chambers. Bubble- Whittle(UFA), Preston, Merz, Gaddis. Gone- the rest.

I like the starting O-Line. There's been some call around here to get rid of Fowler, however he has started every game at center since coming here. He hasn't been a world beater, however hasn't been a liability either. Butler is an average starter, hopefully he will get better. Chambers is a decent backup and can block on special teams. Merz will have to earn a baackup spot in TC or be gone. Gaddis has been groomed to be the backup C, don't know about his progress. Preston is still there, another guy that will have to earn a spot in TC. Wouldn't mind a mid to late draft pick to be used on a lineman that can play multiple positions for depth purposes and push the backups for a spot.

Lindell is fine at K and Moorman is good at P.

DE- Kelsay, Schobel. Bubble- Hargrove (UFA), Denney, Neill. Gone-the rest.

With the investments made on Schobel and Kelsay, they are staying as starters. I like both of them, however they won't remind you of Strahan/Umieyora. Denney needs to show something, he's been here forever it seems and hasn't done much of anything. I would like Hargrove back, however wouldn't break the bank to keep him. Neill can stay if the Bills don't get another long snapper. The rest are just guys off the street from injuries. Depending on Denney and what happens to Hargrove, would like to get some young blood in there with a mid round pick.

DT- Williams, McCargo, Tripplett. Bubble- Jefferson.

Like them or not, the Bills are set pretty much at DT. Tripplett and Williams show flashes, but are decent at best. McCargo keeps improving, I really like him. Jefferson might stick because he plays both DE and DT, however any player picked up in FA might be an upgrade. If the Bills used a third or fourth round pick on a DT, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

LB- Crowell, Poz, Digiorgio, Ellison. Bubble- Haggan(UFA),Wire. Gone-Stamer(UFA) and the rest.

Crowell and Poz are bonified starters. DiGiorgio is a good backup. The rest of the Lb situation is pretty jumbled. Ellison has disappointed me in 2007. I really thought he was going to be a surprise and flourish in this defense, but is often times beaten up and out of position. He's also dropped a few INTs. He might be suited as a backup and/or situational player. Wire showed flashes at LB this preseason, don't know if it would transfer over full time and long term. Stamer can go. He can't be kept around just for ST too much longer. Haggan can stay, he's pretty solid on goal line situations. If he goes, eh. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills don't go after a high profile LB in FA. Or, even surprise everyone and go LB with the first or second round pick and put him in as starter in place of Ellison.

CB- McGee, Greer. On the bubble- K. Thomas, Scott(UFA), Youboty. Gone- everyone else.

Really tough to see where the Bills are going at this position. Greer stepped in and played well for Webster (remember him?) however is he good enough to start? With all the injuries, it really is a mess at CB. Bryan Scott looked good, but I think is more of a safety. K Thomas played ok as a nickel, and the third down D really went downhill once he was on IR. It needs to be addressed, either through FA or the draft. I'd really like to see a cover corner or two come in for nickel and dime situations. Youboty needs to improve or he'll be cut.

S- Whitner, Simpson, Wendling. Bubble- Leonhard and Wilson.

I really hope Simpson can get back to 100% in 2008. He had the tools to be a solid starter in the NFL, really needed more experience. Wendling is the only player that I want to keep solely for special teams, he'll only get better there. I want to root for Leonhard, but I don't know if he can make it in the NFL. Wilson is a servicable backup, might improve with another full year at safety. Maybe this is where the Bills want to keep Bryan Scott around too for depth.

By my own count, I have 31 definate players returning for the 2008 season on the Bills with 20 "Bubble" players. This should be the most interesting offseason in a while, with all the young players emerging and all the players who were injured, I really think 2008 should be a year the Bills improve. With 10 total picks, four in the first three rounds, and being under the salary cap, the Bills really need to work hard this offseason and continue to bring in better players.

Now I'll let everyone rip apart my 2008 roster. :crush:

TedMock
12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I agree with most of this. I'd like to see what Shouman has at TE and bring in a real FB though. Also, I think Wire and Leonhard are both gone. Youboty will be here in my opinion and I think Wilson finds himself a spot on the roster. A-train is probably gone along with Shaud Williams.

My primary wish list is simple - A big #2 WR and a threat at TE. I don't know what 6'4" Keyshawn-esque WR's are out there, but man would it help. I like Reed and Parrish quite a bit, but not at #2. I'd also like to see Shouman showcase a little. However, I realize he's probably not the big threat we need at TE. At this point, I'd rather keep Gaines than Royal. Gaines drops fewer (he still drops).

Secondary wishes include a real FB and possibly a RG. I like Butler, but I think every bit of pressure came from his gap yesterday. Oh, of course, one more DT.

All of this is of course written without having looked at the contract situations, so my mind may change!

acattack15
12-31-2007, 11:16 AM
We neeed bigtime DT, idk if there any out there in Free Agents ro if we gotta draft Ellis round 1 or someone else on Day 1 of draft. Our other Huge Holes are a BIG, Physical WR that can take some pressure off Lee Evans and open thingsup a bit, Very mportant we upgrade WR. And TE we need a fast TE, someone who can stretch field. Look at the goodteams in NFL, all have good fas TE:

Colts-Dallas Clark
Pats-Ben Watson
Cowboys-Witten
Steelers-Heath Miller
Chargers-Antonio Gates

All good teams in NFL have receiving Tight Ends.

YardRat
12-31-2007, 11:41 AM
If they keep three QB's, Hamden will carry the clipboard.

I have a feeling A.Thomas will stick one more year.

Aiken will probably stay for ST's...I don't see the team looking for more than two receivers this off-season and they'll probably keep six.

Denney will be here, and I'd like to see Hargrove retained but he may get too much on the open market.

K.Thomas will stick, and Wilson is a keeper.

Haggan will stay.

eyedog
12-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Josh Reed is slow and can't get separation, thus he is never open. And that's our #2 ? He should be a #4 or #5.
Parrish has some skills but his size hurts him. He is a #3 or #4, thats if we get a coordinator that knows how to use him.
Evans is really a good #2 guy in my book, but of course on this team is the clearcut #1. If we ever get a bigtime receiver, Evans could cause some real matchup problems as a #2.

The rest of the receivers suck and should consider themselves lucky that they are even getting paid.