PDA

View Full Version : My biggest fear for the offseason

billsburgh
12-31-2007, 12:05 PM
this may not matter as much depending on who is named the new GM, but my biggest fear is that the front office wont be aggresive enough in bringing in new player to improve the team. I'm afraid that they will use all the injuries as an excuse for not upgrading. That they will say we will never know how good this team could have been if not for the injuries.

YardRat
12-31-2007, 12:10 PM
You might be right, but I hope the front office saw enough of some guys to still be encouraged to replace them in the line-up.

Ellison was a starter from day 1, and he needs to be upgraded. TE needs better talent, as does WR, and both of those squads (except for Price) went relatively injury-free. Same for Fowler at C.

Bone
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Seems to me The Bills FO needs to start listening to more of the players and fans, if that sounds dumb...

Nighthawk
12-31-2007, 12:13 PM
this may not matter as much depending on who is named the new GM, but my biggest fear is that the front office wont be aggresive enough in bringing in new player to improve the team. I'm afraid that they will use all the injuries as an excuse for not upgrading. That they will say we will never know how good this team could have been if not for the injuries.

Your question will be answered fairly quickly. If the Bills hire a GM from within, then you know that Ralphy will continue to run this team on the cheap. If they bring in a true "football guy", maybe an up and coming younger executive, then there may be hope. The GM hiring will show us once and for all if Ralphy still wants to win or just wants to watch his pennies.

Dr. Lecter
12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Your question will be answered fairly quickly. If the Bills hire a GM from within, then you know that Ralphy will continue to run this team on the cheap. If they bring in a true "football guy", maybe an up and coming younger executive, then there may be hope. The GM hiring will show us once and for all if Ralphy still wants to win or just wants to watch his pennies.

So if they hire from within, it is a guarenteed bad move?

Like with Polian?

Last time he went out and spent money on a name GM, it did not work, remember?

Ralph is not cheap.

YardRat
12-31-2007, 12:16 PM

The actual hiring won't tell us much until FA is open season, IMO. If Overdorf really was as involved as some speculate and he gets the nod, there's no reason to believe the team won't make a decent splash or two early and then go for fill-ins the rest of the way.

Nighthawk
12-31-2007, 12:17 PM

Like with Polian?

Ralph is not cheap.

Ahh, Dr. Lecter...did you happen to call into WGR today with your wonderful idea of Jauron taking the GM position and April becoming the coach? If not, somebody else did and the guys on WGR pretty much summed it up by saying that it makes no sense if you want to improve this franchise. Anybody who thinks a loser HC becoming the GM would help is completely losing their mind.

Dr. Lecter
12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Ahh, Dr. Lecter...did you happen to call into WGR today with your wonderful idea of Jauron taking the GM position and April becoming the coach? If not, somebody else did and the guys on WGR pretty much summed it up by saying that it makes no sense if you want to improve this franchise. Anybody who thinks a loser HC becoming the GM would help is completely losing their mind.

Nope. I do not listen to the idiots on WGR. Sorry.

And I never endorsed the idea. I made that clear.

patmoran2006
12-31-2007, 02:39 PM

Like with Polian?

Ralph is not cheap.
LOL. we'll see.

Dr. Lecter
12-31-2007, 03:46 PM
LOL. we'll see.

We had this debate last year when you "guarenteed" no significant FA signings after Kelsay was extended. Hell, you even were willing to make a bet that would have resulted in you wearing a dress had one of us been mean enough to take it.

patmoran2006
12-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Im talking front office, not players.

Ralph aint going out and hiring no proven head coach, offensive coordinator or GM.

He'll promote Turk to OC, and he'll promote Guy or Overdorf to GM. And when the numbers come out, they'll both be one of if not the cheapest hires at their positions in the entire NFL.

I mean we've been so successful over recent years, why wouldnt we promote within? Why in God's name would we want to go outside the organization for a fresh set of eyes and minds.?