PDA

View Full Version : No shake-up in the works

shelby
01-01-2008, 07:42 AM
The Buffalo Bills embarked Monday on another offseason of change.
The likeliest scenario is it will be change with a lower case “C.”
The Bills need to reorganize their front office in the wake of Monday’s resignation of Marv Levy as general manager. They have a big change coming on their coaching staff due to the departure of offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild, the new head coach at Colorado State University.
History and the strong position of head coach Dick Jauron suggest the Bills will not strike off in a bold, new direction in filling the shoes of Levy.
The Bills have gone outside the organization in hiring a general manager just once in their 48-year history. That was when Tom Donahoe was hired in 2001. Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. still has a foul taste in his mouth over how that five-year tenure finished. There virtually is no chance the Bills will make an outsider “king” of the organization and give him sweeping powers over all departments.
Furthermore, the Bills are certain to be careful to ensure that the frontoffice remains figuratively joined at the hip with Jauron. The Bills have finished 7-9 in both of Jauron’s seasons. He is held in high regard by Wilson, the members of the Bills’ administration and the players.
If the Bills hired a new general manager from outside the organization with full control of the football department, there is a risk that person would want to bring in his own man as coach. That’s precisely what happened to Jauron during his first head-coaching stint in Chicago, when the general manager who hired Jauron was ousted two years into his coaching tenure.
That doesn’t mean an outsider could not take the reins this time, but he would have to meet Jauron’s full approval. The Bills believe they built good organizational trust between the front office, scouting and coaching departments the past two years, and they will not want to lessen Jauron’s security.

As Levy departs, Jauron seems secure as Bills’ coach (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/241070.html)

Nighthawk
01-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Very bad news for this organization. Status quo and more losing seasons on the way. I just don't understand the acceptance of mediocrity of Bills fans? Oh well...what can you do.

Night Train
01-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Very bad news for this organization. Status quo and more losing seasons on the way. I just don't understand the acceptance of mediocrity of Bills fans? Oh well...what can you do.

Why even bring up the fans ? That's like blaming spoons for being fat.

We all know the score with Ralph. Stick to the subject.

Nighthawk
01-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Why even bring up the fans ? That's like blaming spoons for being fat.

We all know the score with Ralph. Stick to the subject.

I bring up the fans because of the continued support of mediocrity. It is a valid and pertinent fact that is relevant to the subject.

Night Train
01-01-2008, 08:17 AM
I bring up the fans because of the continued support of mediocrity. It is a valid and pertinent fact that is relevant to the subject.

So all ticket paying customers are part of the problem ? You never pay for a ticket or buy any Bills merchandise ? If so, those who do are fools ?

Nighthawk
01-01-2008, 08:38 AM
So all ticket paying customers are part of the problem ? You never pay for a ticket or buy any Bills merchandise ? If so, those who do are fools ?

No, no...but to not voice displeasure is to accept mediocrity. A lot of fans on here just seem to accept that Dickey is doing a great job, when, if you look at the numbers...HE'S NOT! Further evidence can be had if you go back and do research into when he held the HC position at Chicago. Everybody and I mean everybody, seems to think that Fairchild was the problem. Well, guess what??? He's wasn't! Every team Dickey has run has been horrible on the offensive side of the ball and most of this can be attributed to him coaching scared! I don't just say things to hear myself talk...these are facts and I don't feel we have any hope of winning anything with this guy. Also, now that it seems that there is a chance he gets more power because of Marv leaving, I feel even less optimistic that this team will win anything in the near future. Not going outside of the organization for a GM who is in tune with today's NFL and has some connections with what is going on in the league will again set this team back for years. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Night Train
01-01-2008, 08:53 AM
No, no...but to not voice displeasure is to accept mediocrity. A lot of fans on here just seem to accept that Dickey is doing a great job, when, if you look at the numbers...HE'S NOT! Further evidence can be had if you go back and do research into when he held the HC position at Chicago. Everybody and I mean everybody, seems to think that Fairchild was the problem. Well, guess what??? He's wasn't! Every team Dickey has run has been horrible on the offensive side of the ball and most of this can be attributed to him coaching scared! I don't just say things to hear myself talk...these are facts and I don't feel we have any hope of winning anything with this guy. Also, now that it seems that there is a chance he gets more power because of Marv leaving, I feel even less optimistic that this team will win anything in the near future. Not going outside of the organization for a GM who is in tune with today's NFL and has some connections with what is going on in the league will again set this team back for years. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Ok, just checking. I can't disagree with much of that.

I thought Jauron was a bad hire. The schemes we run on both sides of the ball prove that out. He's organized but lacks the footabll instincts once the game starts. 20 TD's total on Offense and a D that gets steamrolled in the running game eqauls a long way to go. I can only hope the OC hire has vision and a realization of a small DL means more size in the middle is a crying need.

The capper was the post game blurb from Jauron this past Sunday. " I thought our Offense did a good job. They didn't turn it over " . Just an incredible statement to be quoted on.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-01-2008, 09:08 AM

Yes.

Let him run a team on the fat welfare-- I mean, revenue sharing-- check he gets from the league every year.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Status Quo for the bills now means boring and dull and loosing alot.

C'mon! Shake it up a bit and lets light a fire under this organization~

YardRat
01-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Not going outside of the organization for a GM who is in tune with today's NFL and has some connections with what is going on in the league will again set this team back for years.

What makes you assume whoever they may promote from within isn't 'in tune with today's NFL' and may not act accordingly?

Nighthawk
01-01-2008, 11:05 AM
What makes you assume whoever they may promote from within isn't 'in tune with today's NFL' and may not act accordingly?

Umm, how has this team done with them in the organization the last 10+ years? Just checking.

YardRat
01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Umm, how has this team done with them in the organization the last 10+ years? Just checking.

Umm, how many of them have been able to exert their influence over the organization under the title of general manager?

YardRat
01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
BTW NightHawk...I didn't neg you, and if I ever did I would most certainly sign for it.

colin
01-01-2008, 11:55 AM
i don't buy it all yet.

we are getting a new OC, our key players are all very young, we have a ton of cap money and 10+ picks, including 4 in the first 75 and 5 in the first 110.

i think we are gonna trade jp, package up picks and get 3 or 4 starters/major players in the draft (cb, dt, OG/C, wr/TE) as well as some new blood for the bench (lb, s, anyone else).

i also think we are gonna get the best wr and olb we can in FA. we might also nab a DT and TE.

having continuity, a solid O line, and getting better at nearly every position is the best position this franchise has been in in well over a decade, why go for huge changes now?

djjimkelly
01-01-2008, 01:04 PM

i agree 10000000000000%

Nighthawk
01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Umm, how many of them have been able to exert their influence over the organization under the title of general manager?

Stop, you're making no sense.

Nighthawk
01-01-2008, 01:12 PM
BTW NightHawk...I didn't neg you, and if I ever did I would most certainly sign for it.

I can respect that.

YardRat
01-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Stop, you're making no sense.

You're passing judgement on someone who has no track record for the job they will be expected to perform.

I'm sure there were those who were disappointed with Polian being appointed GM for the first time though, also.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm sure there were those who were disappointed with Polian being appointed GM for the first time though, also.

Polian? Whats he ever done?

Oh, Wait... he's a raging success... why would we want someone like him again?

Seriously, I just am sickened by all the talk of Dickey taking more power... the man is as dull as a box of rocks and coaches (I use the term loosly) a brand of football that is so painfull to watch as to be nearly unwatchable. I mean if it werent the bills playing can anyone of us say we would watch an entire game of the crap this coach put on the field this year?

If it were any other team playing this bad, I would have switched to reruns of the Andy Griffith Show after watching 15 min.

Please... how can we all be sooooo right and have the dudes at 1BD NOT see this?

raphael120
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
One of the worst D's AND offenses in the whole league. It's hard to find a team that sucks at EVERYTHING!