• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Quick, Cold Realities

I don't have the time or energy for a long post here, so I will make this real short.

It's fun and exciting to envision and talk about qualified GM's and Offensive coordinators coming to Buffalo. But let's get two FACTS on the table now, to save yourself the energy of writing, and the dissapointment of the pending reality.

FANTASY: There are good qualified GMs out there. A proven GM who can put a team together or the next bright young mind could push this team over the top and through the dreadfully long period of mediocrity.

FACT: The next Bills GM already has an office at OBD. It's either going to be Brandon or Overdorf; with Guy having a smaller shot. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we dont have an 'official' GM at all next year, and the "GM" duties are split among these three or more. If by some MIRACLE we go outside the organization, it will be at bargain basement prices and it will be someone who already has a strong tie to Dick Jauron.

FANTASY: THis team needs an innovative offensive coordinator. Guys who have had good success before like Mike Martz and Cam Cameron will be available. Other quality young guys ready to take the next step will be out there.

FACT: Turk is likely our next OC. He's familar with Wilson and Jauron. He'll come a hell of a lot cheaper. Forget Martz or Cameron or guys like that. It will be somebody getting a promotion, almost surely within our own organization.

Does it suck? Yes, I think it does. But I'm used to it, and you should be to by now. IT's the Ralph Wilson way. I say this without malace towards Wilson, but if I'm keeping it real, oh well. "the only way the Bills can ever become a legit Super Bowl contender in this day and age again is if Wilson sells the team, passes on and a new owner keeps the team here." That's it.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Quick, Cold Realities

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news--but I've heard a lot of "we're going in the right direction" threads and comments lately.

I disrespectfully dispute that-- big time. To be in the right direction would mean we're a few guys away from being a contender.

I think it's going to take more than 1-2 quality guys to turn this around. A team that's really going in the right direction has these kind of team numbers?

OFFENSE
    PPG: 15.8 (30th in NFL)
    Offensive TDs" 20 (worst in franchise history over 16 games, ever)
    Yards Per Game: 277.1 (30th in NFL)
    Pass Yds per game; 164.6 (30th)
    1st Downs: 15.5 (Tied for 31st)
    3rd Down %: 33.3% (3oth)
    Time of Possesssion: 27th in NFL

Summary: We're literally in the bottom five or worst in EVERY one of these categories.

DEFENSIVELY
    Yards Per Game: 362.9 (31st- Only Detroit is worse)
    RUsh Yds allowed: 124.6 (25th)
    Pass Yds Allowed: 238.4 (29th)
    Forced Fumbles: 11 (Tied 25th)
    Sacks: 26 (29th in NFL)

Summary: AGain, horrid stats and the one that bothers me the most is the sacks. WE invested HEAVILY in Schobel and Kelsay and we're 4th from the bottom in the league in sacks? That sounds like a terrible investment, especially given neither is a run stuffer

Bottom Line: I'd like to be wrong, but it doesn't sound like any 2-3 players are going to turn around all of these deplorable numbers.

If I'm wrong, is Ralph going to sign them? I hope so.

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

Fact: Your facts sound more like guesses. I agree it is likely, but it is not a fact until it happens. As of now, you can't prove it won't happen.

I agree it could suck. But, anything has a chance of sucking.

I think we are moving in the right direction. But, sticking with the theme of the post, I won't waste your time telling you reasons.

The reasons are numerous, but for some reason I think your mind is made up.
      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

The Buffalo Bills are a bottom feeder in the NFL, and have been this entire decade. I give Jauron (and Marv) some credit for getting the most out of the slim pickings that they have.

If I wanted to win, I'd throw as much money as it takes at a guy like Ron Wolf, and to a lesser extent, a guy like Casserly. I can't say Jauron "deserves" to be fired at this point due to a serious lack of talent, and a bunch of injuries. The offense is in dire need of some serious beefing up.

That's not going to happen though. We'll go bargain basement-style and probably promote from within, or hire some nobody.

It's basically live or die with Dick Jauron right now, because whoever comes aboard (if anyone) looks like they will have to live with an increasing say by Dick Jauron. So we better hope Jauron goes out and gets a great offensive coordinator, and makes the most out of his miniscule allowance that will be allotted to him this offseason by Ralph.

It's literally going to take a super-human effort by Dick Jauron and a lot of luck with getting the right mix of players for this team to smell 10 wins any time in the forseeable future.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by yordad
          Fact: Your facts sound more like guesses. I agree it is likely, but it is not a fact until it happens. As of now, you can't prove it won't happen.

I agree it could suck. But, anything has a chance of sucking.

I think we are moving in the right direction. But, sticking with the theme of the post, I won't waste your time telling you reasons.

The reasons are numerous, but for some reason I think your mind is made up.
          My mind is made up for good reason. I'm going on Wilson's track record. He feels comfortable with the guys currently in his office. Why would he bring someone else is? regardless of how qualified or proven they are?

Believe me, I"d love to have Casserly as my GM. I'd love to have Martz get Edwards to the next level. It's not going to happen.

I'd love to sign Lance Briggs.. or Dallas Clark.. OR Berrian.. or Haynesworth. Any of them. But I also don't see that happening.

I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong about any of this.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Fantasy: DB will be hired as the new GM of the Buffalo Bills

Fact: DB will only be appointed as a college scout of the Buffalo Bills

My mind is made up!!
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              My mind is made up for good reason. I'm going on Wilson's track record. He feels comfortable with the guys currently in his office. Why would he bring someone else is? regardless of how qualified or proven they are?

Believe me, I"d love to have Casserly as my GM. I'd love to have Martz get Edwards to the next level. It's not going to happen.

I'd love to sign Lance Briggs.. or Dallas Clark.. OR Berrian.. or Haynesworth. Any of them. But I also don't see that happening.

I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong about any of this.
              You mean like Tom Donahoe? Bringing in a big name GM form outside the organization?

You act like Ralph has never done that, when he did 2 hires ago.
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

BTW, hiring Matrz would be the dumbest thing this team could do.

A pass happy, no running game coach in this city? Are you serious?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Now this I completely agree with, Martz is the absolute worst fit for our system
                  COMING SOON...
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

A part of me agrees with you. I get what you are saying.

But, a part of me wants to defend my team.

In the end, I'm not mad we implemented a cash to cap philosophy. I am mad we didn't spend up to it.

And, I think if we sprung for some top shelf management, it would help greatly. Even if it just gives us a better reputation.

But, there is no doubt in my mind we are better off today then two years ago. And there is no doubt in my mind that a mediocre GM can get this team in the playoffs with a semi decent OC.

Heck, I think you or I could do it.
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Yeah, Marshall Faulk sucked bad with Martz. O wait, no he didn't.

And, never in the Bills history were they ever successful passing the ball. Just ask Jim Kelly or Bledsoe after his first year.

I agree Martz probably wouldn't be the best fit with Trent Edwards. But, I think Martz with JP would make us forget about Fairchild pretty quickly.

I will give up on JP when he is traded. As long as he is the Bills' most talented QB, I'm all for a coordinator that can utilize him best.

The number one argument if favor of starting Edwards was "he fits the system better". Well the system sucked.

I want the greatest show on snow.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

The Rams played in a dome, not the outside in WNY. The Rams lost the Super Bowl with Martz there because he used Faulk as a "decoy"

And yes, Kelly and Bledsoe did pass the ball. But look at Drew's stats in December. And the Kelly teams actaully ran the ball as much as or more than they threw it.

Unless the Bills get two more top WR's it is also a moot point.

Martz is an egomaniac who has allowed his offensive "genius" label go to his head. He now ignores the running game when it is needed the most.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                          • Sep 2007

Yeah he does give up on the run way too early. There was one game where Detroit was negative 17 yards. There were also games where their running backs on had 5-7 carries in a game. I would pass on Martz. We need the running game.
                          To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                            • Apr 2007

There is yet some hope. The Bills have an offensive nuclear to build around, starting with Lynch and Evans without equivocation (for me) and Edwards with a tiny bit of trepidation... but I still think he's our QB, present and future. And the Bills finally have a competent offensive line (Bills improve from 27th in rushing in '06 to 15th in '07; Bills decrease sacks absorbed from 47 in '06 to 26 in '07). There is a lot of hope there, and it is our hope that Dick Jauron will finally learn from hiring offensive coordinators with no ingenuity or game-day intuition.

Certainly, IMO, Turk won't be a candidate in Buffalo if schematically he won't do anything different for the Bills than Fairchild, or if he won't put more faith in our skill players. Jauron is conservative- and no, that won't change- but he also has the ear of the players as a players' coach and player-minded coach and I think the outspokenness of players such as Josh Reed who feel that the coaching staff didn't trust the Bills to make plays will begin to at least slightly open Jauron's eyes. I think that Jauron delegates more to the OC next year and that if you expect Schonert to playcall like his predecessor, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Lee Evans seemed to suggest last week that in talking to Turk about gameday situations, that their ideas seemed to jive. Obviously, it's doubtful you'd administer sodium pentathol to any of the Bills' starting 11 on offense and have 1 player feel that way about Fairchild. Evans could just be refusing to disparage a current Bills' coach, but he seems to speak what's on his mind.

I'm not saying I favor Schonert; I actually don't believe I do. But I certainly wouldn't oppose until I see what he does for myself. And if you ask me, there are cogent reasons to believe that the Bills just HAVE TO make changes; they simply have no other choice, even if Schonert has to be the coordinator to do it. I like the spotlight shining on our offensive ineptitude, particularly in '07; better it be accentuated to allow even the dullest and dumbest to see it, too, than to have it remain the prevailing pattern.

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

The Rams played in a dome, not the outside in WNY. The Rams lost the Super Bowl with Martz there because he used Faulk as a "decoy"

And yes, Kelly and Bledsoe did pass the ball. But look at Drew's stats in December. And the Kelly teams actaully ran the ball as much as or more than they threw it.

Unless the Bills get two more top WR's it is also a moot point.

Martz is an egomaniac who has allowed his offensive "genius" label go to his head. He now ignores the running game when it is needed the most.
                              Touche.

He would have to adjust some. I think he went pass happy with the Rams because he could. It was there best asset. Look at the Lions. WRs galore, but who is there RB?

I think any OC who has the "Beast" would know he has to be used. I want a guy who can design an offense to suit its best players. Not design an offense then start the players that fit it better, best players or not.

A little twist for you (a bit of a tangent):
                              Say we have keep Wright and add LT. And hire Cowher. Do you think Cowher would start Wright because he likes smash mouth? Or do you think he could adapt and go with speed and hands with LT? Different, I know, but not irrelevant. And, would you advocate we start Wright over LT because our weather is more conducive to smash mouth?

O, and I think one more WR and TE will do fine. As long as they are impact players.

Comment

Working...
                              X