PDA

View Full Version : Quick, Cold Realities

patmoran2006
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't have the time or energy for a long post here, so I will make this real short.

It's fun and exciting to envision and talk about qualified GM's and Offensive coordinators coming to Buffalo. But let's get two FACTS on the table now, to save yourself the energy of writing, and the dissapointment of the pending reality.

FANTASY: There are good qualified GMs out there. A proven GM who can put a team together or the next bright young mind could push this team over the top and through the dreadfully long period of mediocrity.

FACT: The next Bills GM already has an office at OBD. It's either going to be Brandon or Overdorf; with Guy having a smaller shot. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we dont have an 'official' GM at all next year, and the "GM" duties are split among these three or more. If by some MIRACLE we go outside the organization, it will be at bargain basement prices and it will be someone who already has a strong tie to Dick Jauron.

FANTASY: THis team needs an innovative offensive coordinator. Guys who have had good success before like Mike Martz and Cam Cameron will be available. Other quality young guys ready to take the next step will be out there.

FACT: Turk is likely our next OC. He's familar with Wilson and Jauron. He'll come a hell of a lot cheaper. Forget Martz or Cameron or guys like that. It will be somebody getting a promotion, almost surely within our own organization.

Does it suck? Yes, I think it does. But I'm used to it, and you should be to by now. IT's the Ralph Wilson way. I say this without malace towards Wilson, but if I'm keeping it real, oh well. "the only way the Bills can ever become a legit Super Bowl contender in this day and age again is if Wilson sells the team, passes on and a new owner keeps the team here." That's it.

patmoran2006
01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news--but I've heard a lot of "we're going in the right direction" threads and comments lately.

I disrespectfully dispute that-- big time. To be in the right direction would mean we're a few guys away from being a contender.

I think it's going to take more than 1-2 quality guys to turn this around. A team that's really going in the right direction has these kind of team numbers?

OFFENSE
PPG: 15.8 (30th in NFL)
Offensive TDs" 20 (worst in franchise history over 16 games, ever)
Yards Per Game: 277.1 (30th in NFL)
Pass Yds per game; 164.6 (30th)
1st Downs: 15.5 (Tied for 31st)
3rd Down %: 33.3% (3oth)
Time of Possesssion: 27th in NFL

Summary: We're literally in the bottom five or worst in EVERY one of these categories.

DEFENSIVELY
Yards Per Game: 362.9 (31st- Only Detroit is worse)
RUsh Yds allowed: 124.6 (25th)
Pass Yds Allowed: 238.4 (29th)
Forced Fumbles: 11 (Tied 25th)
Sacks: 26 (29th in NFL)

Summary: AGain, horrid stats and the one that bothers me the most is the sacks. WE invested HEAVILY in Schobel and Kelsay and we're 4th from the bottom in the league in sacks? That sounds like a terrible investment, especially given neither is a run stuffer

Bottom Line: I'd like to be wrong, but it doesn't sound like any 2-3 players are going to turn around all of these deplorable numbers.

If I'm wrong, is Ralph going to sign them? I hope so.

yordad
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Fact: Your facts sound more like guesses. I agree it is likely, but it is not a fact until it happens. As of now, you can't prove it won't happen.

I agree it could suck. But, anything has a chance of sucking.

I think we are moving in the right direction. But, sticking with the theme of the post, I won't waste your time telling you reasons.

The reasons are numerous, but for some reason I think your mind is made up.

Mudflap1
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
The Buffalo Bills are a bottom feeder in the NFL, and have been this entire decade. I give Jauron (and Marv) some credit for getting the most out of the slim pickings that they have.

If I wanted to win, I'd throw as much money as it takes at a guy like Ron Wolf, and to a lesser extent, a guy like Casserly. I can't say Jauron "deserves" to be fired at this point due to a serious lack of talent, and a bunch of injuries. The offense is in dire need of some serious beefing up.

That's not going to happen though. We'll go bargain basement-style and probably promote from within, or hire some nobody.

It's basically live or die with Dick Jauron right now, because whoever comes aboard (if anyone) looks like they will have to live with an increasing say by Dick Jauron. So we better hope Jauron goes out and gets a great offensive coordinator, and makes the most out of his miniscule allowance that will be allotted to him this offseason by Ralph.

It's literally going to take a super-human effort by Dick Jauron and a lot of luck with getting the right mix of players for this team to smell 10 wins any time in the forseeable future.

patmoran2006
01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Fact: Your facts sound more like guesses. I agree it is likely, but it is not a fact until it happens. As of now, you can't prove it won't happen.

I agree it could suck. But, anything has a chance of sucking.

I think we are moving in the right direction. But, sticking with the theme of the post, I won't waste your time telling you reasons.

The reasons are numerous, but for some reason I think your mind is made up.
My mind is made up for good reason. I'm going on Wilson's track record. He feels comfortable with the guys currently in his office. Why would he bring someone else is? regardless of how qualified or proven they are?

Believe me, I"d love to have Casserly as my GM. I'd love to have Martz get Edwards to the next level. It's not going to happen.

I'd love to sign Lance Briggs.. or Dallas Clark.. OR Berrian.. or Haynesworth. Any of them. But I also don't see that happening.

I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong about any of this.

DraftBoy
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Fantasy: DB will be hired as the new GM of the Buffalo Bills

Fact: DB will only be appointed as a college scout of the Buffalo Bills

My mind is made up!!

Dr. Lecter
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
My mind is made up for good reason. I'm going on Wilson's track record. He feels comfortable with the guys currently in his office. Why would he bring someone else is? regardless of how qualified or proven they are?

Believe me, I"d love to have Casserly as my GM. I'd love to have Martz get Edwards to the next level. It's not going to happen.

I'd love to sign Lance Briggs.. or Dallas Clark.. OR Berrian.. or Haynesworth. Any of them. But I also don't see that happening.

I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong about any of this.

You mean like Tom Donahoe? Bringing in a big name GM form outside the organization?

You act like Ralph has never done that, when he did 2 hires ago.

Dr. Lecter
01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
BTW, hiring Matrz would be the dumbest thing this team could do.

A pass happy, no running game coach in this city? Are you serious?

DraftBoy
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Now this I completely agree with, Martz is the absolute worst fit for our system

yordad
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
A part of me agrees with you. I get what you are saying.

But, a part of me wants to defend my team.

In the end, I'm not mad we implemented a cash to cap philosophy. I am mad we didn't spend up to it.

And, I think if we sprung for some top shelf management, it would help greatly. Even if it just gives us a better reputation.

But, there is no doubt in my mind we are better off today then two years ago. And there is no doubt in my mind that a mediocre GM can get this team in the playoffs with a semi decent OC.

Heck, I think you or I could do it.

yordad
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM

A pass happy, no running game coach in this city? Are you serious?Yeah, Marshall Faulk sucked bad with Martz. O wait, no he didn't.

And, never in the Bills history were they ever successful passing the ball. Just ask Jim Kelly or Bledsoe after his first year.

I agree Martz probably wouldn't be the best fit with Trent Edwards. But, I think Martz with JP would make us forget about Fairchild pretty quickly.

I will give up on JP when he is traded. As long as he is the Bills' most talented QB, I'm all for a coordinator that can utilize him best.

The number one argument if favor of starting Edwards was "he fits the system better". Well the system sucked.

I want the greatest show on snow.

Dr. Lecter
01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
The Rams played in a dome, not the outside in WNY. The Rams lost the Super Bowl with Martz there because he used Faulk as a "decoy"

And yes, Kelly and Bledsoe did pass the ball. But look at Drew's stats in December. And the Kelly teams actaully ran the ball as much as or more than they threw it.

Unless the Bills get two more top WR's it is also a moot point.

Martz is an egomaniac who has allowed his offensive "genius" label go to his head. He now ignores the running game when it is needed the most.

Owen DeBoard
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah he does give up on the run way too early. There was one game where Detroit was negative 17 yards. There were also games where their running backs on had 5-7 carries in a game. I would pass on Martz. We need the running game.

Midwesternbillsfan
01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
There is yet some hope. The Bills have an offensive nuclear to build around, starting with Lynch and Evans without equivocation (for me) and Edwards with a tiny bit of trepidation... but I still think he's our QB, present and future. And the Bills finally have a competent offensive line (Bills improve from 27th in rushing in '06 to 15th in '07; Bills decrease sacks absorbed from 47 in '06 to 26 in '07). There is a lot of hope there, and it is our hope that Dick Jauron will finally learn from hiring offensive coordinators with no ingenuity or game-day intuition.

Certainly, IMO, Turk won't be a candidate in Buffalo if schematically he won't do anything different for the Bills than Fairchild, or if he won't put more faith in our skill players. Jauron is conservative- and no, that won't change- but he also has the ear of the players as a players' coach and player-minded coach and I think the outspokenness of players such as Josh Reed who feel that the coaching staff didn't trust the Bills to make plays will begin to at least slightly open Jauron's eyes. I think that Jauron delegates more to the OC next year and that if you expect Schonert to playcall like his predecessor, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Lee Evans seemed to suggest last week that in talking to Turk about gameday situations, that their ideas seemed to jive. Obviously, it's doubtful you'd administer sodium pentathol to any of the Bills' starting 11 on offense and have 1 player feel that way about Fairchild. Evans could just be refusing to disparage a current Bills' coach, but he seems to speak what's on his mind.

I'm not saying I favor Schonert; I actually don't believe I do. But I certainly wouldn't oppose until I see what he does for myself. And if you ask me, there are cogent reasons to believe that the Bills just HAVE TO make changes; they simply have no other choice, even if Schonert has to be the coordinator to do it. I like the spotlight shining on our offensive ineptitude, particularly in '07; better it be accentuated to allow even the dullest and dumbest to see it, too, than to have it remain the prevailing pattern.

yordad
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
The Rams played in a dome, not the outside in WNY. The Rams lost the Super Bowl with Martz there because he used Faulk as a "decoy"

And yes, Kelly and Bledsoe did pass the ball. But look at Drew's stats in December. And the Kelly teams actaully ran the ball as much as or more than they threw it.

Unless the Bills get two more top WR's it is also a moot point.

Martz is an egomaniac who has allowed his offensive "genius" label go to his head. He now ignores the running game when it is needed the most.
Touche.

He would have to adjust some. I think he went pass happy with the Rams because he could. It was there best asset. Look at the Lions. WRs galore, but who is there RB?

I think any OC who has the "Beast" would know he has to be used. I want a guy who can design an offense to suit its best players. Not design an offense then start the players that fit it better, best players or not.

A little twist for you (a bit of a tangent):
Say we have keep Wright and add LT. And hire Cowher. Do you think Cowher would start Wright because he likes smash mouth? Or do you think he could adapt and go with speed and hands with LT? Different, I know, but not irrelevant. And, would you advocate we start Wright over LT because our weather is more conducive to smash mouth?

O, and I think one more WR and TE will do fine. As long as they are impact players.

patmoran2006
01-02-2008, 06:23 PM

We dont have any running game with consistency, because there isn't even a THREAT of a passing game.

Jim Kelly's Pass Happy offense worked mighty fine. It worked large in part becuase he had Thurman THomas, teams could NOT gear up to stop only the run or only the pass.

With this team its as simple as pie as stopping them.
1- Dont let Evans beat you deep.
2- Put 8 in the box and stop Lynch at the line.

Nighthawk
01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news--but I've heard a lot of "we're going in the right direction" threads and comments lately.

I disrespectfully dispute that-- big time. To be in the right direction would mean we're a few guys away from being a contender.

I think it's going to take more than 1-2 quality guys to turn this around. A team that's really going in the right direction has these kind of team numbers?

OFFENSE

Summary: We're literally in the bottom five or worst in EVERY one of these categories.

DEFENSIVELY

Summary: AGain, horrid stats and the one that bothers me the most is the sacks. WE invested HEAVILY in Schobel and Kelsay and we're 4th from the bottom in the league in sacks? That sounds like a terrible investment, especially given neither is a run stuffer

Bottom Line: I'd like to be wrong, but it doesn't sound like any 2-3 players are going to turn around all of these deplorable numbers.

Question...why are we moving in the right direction because Jauron won games against crappy teams? The reason everybody seems to give is because of all the injuries. Well, that just doesn't hold any water! The guys we lost (besides POZ and maybe Simpson) were all average to below average players who possibly wouldn't even be on another teams roster. The injury thing was a great excuse for Dickey and a way to hide his ineptness as a HC.

For all of you who like to use that excuse, please take a look at Brian Billick who was fired in Baltimore. NOW HIS TEAM WAS CRUSHED BY INJURIES...and were talking about Pro Bowlers. However, he wasn't allowed that excuse because the standards are set much higher than they are in Buffalo.

patmoran2006
01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
WE're moving in a .500 area direction..

We're good enough to beat the chumps, and we're bad enough to get smacked by the good teams. The numbers are absolutely brutal.

Seriously, maybe that is good enough for Ralph. A team that won't stink up the league like Miami did last year by only winning a few games. If Buffalo can consistently be at or around .500 going into weeks 10-12 every season, the fans will continue to eat up the tickets, and that's what Ralph really cares about most.

I look at this team, and I see a lot of potential. I love SOME of our offense, and I love SOME of our defense. But the weaker parts of both units are both woefully flawed. It's going to take more than some rookie projects to better these spots.

We'll see if Ralph is serious about winning. We need a good 3-4 quality free agents to go with another strong draft; then I'll start thinking "contention"

Nighthawk
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
WE're moving in a .500 area direction..

We're good enough to beat the chumps, and we're bad enough to get smacked by the good teams. The numbers are absolutely brutal.

Seriously, maybe that is good enough for Ralph. A team that won't stink up the league like Miami did last year by only winning a few games. If Buffalo can consistently be at or around .500 going into weeks 10-12 every season, the fans will continue to eat up the tickets, and that's what Ralph really cares about most.

I look at this team, and I see a lot of potential. I love SOME of our offense, and I love SOME of our defense. But the weaker parts of both units are both woefully flawed. It's going to take more than some rookie projects to better these spots.

We'll see if Ralph is serious about winning. We need a good 3-4 quality free agents to go with another strong draft; then I'll start thinking "contention"

We don't have to wait that long to see if he is serious about winning...we'll know once the choose their GM. Will it be dynamic, young, football smart GM or another "yes" man. My vote is on the latter.

Mudflap1
01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Repeat after me: "The Buffalo Bills are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL".

Nighthawk
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Repeat after me: "The Buffalo Bills are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL".

Yep, and they don't have to be. Revenue sharing allows this not to happen, but you have to have good management and we don't.

Mudflap1
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I posted some links awhile back to Forbes Magazine, who does an annual story on earnings for NFL teams. The Bills are consistently in the top 1/2 to top 1/3 in the NFL in net earnings. If that's the case (which it is), then it's Ralph Wilson being stingy more than a worried caretaker of a struggling franchise in small market.

For some reason, that thread went basically ignored.

Nighthawk
01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I posted some links awhile back to Forbes Magazine, who does an annual story on earnings for NFL teams. The Bills are consistently in the top 1/2 to top 1/3 in the NFL in net earnings. If that's the case (which it is), then it's Ralph Wilson being stingy more than a worried caretaker of a struggling franchise in small market.

For some reason, that thread went basically ignored.

Of course it did...it was proof that Ralph is more concerned about earnings then he is with winning.

Jeff1220
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Everybody wants the big splash and I agree that's not going to happen. RW tried it at the beginning of the decade with TD and that just sent the organization spiraling down even quicker.
I'm sorry, but I too have to "disrespectfully dispute" something and that is your "facts." None of this has happened yet and RW very well could bring a guy in for the GM job. Is it likely to be Ron Wolfe or Jimmy Johnson or even Charlie Casserly - not likely. But a young mind might be even better than some of the relics that have been floating around jobless for the past few years.
As far as the OC position goes, don't be surprised if the team goes outside for that either, as Buffalo sucked so bad on O that they just might go out and get someone who could shake things up. Or they might go with Turk, who seems to have the backing of most of the guys that play - that's something Fairchild obviously didn't have.
Could the things happen that you mentioned Pat, sure, I might even go as far as to call them "likely" but they are far far far from facts at this point in time.

yordad
01-02-2008, 09:50 PM

For some reason, that thread went basically ignored.Well, I would be interested in seeing that. I browsed your "started thread history" to no avail.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/06nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_Rank_2.html

Dr. Lecter
01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Of course it did...it was proof that Ralph is more concerned about earnings then he is with winning.

Than why didn't he move the team to LA or Seattle or any one of the other locations he could have moved the team to inthe pursuit or more money?

The theory does not hold up.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I agree that Ralph Wilson is not going to go outside of the organization for a big name GM. The last time he did that an hired a "sure thing", he ended up with Tom Donahoe. RW was burned so badly by that move that he had to bring back Marv Levy to pretty much save his franchise and restore some semblance of order and harmony in the organization. He's not going to want to risk making that same mistake again.

And, everyone seems to think that the big name guys are all chomping at the bit to come to the Bills. I hate to say it, but most of the big name guys have other options that may be better for them, if they are even interested in taking a GM job: E.Accorsi could have stayed with the NY Giants if he wanted a GM job, the fact that he is serving as a consultant for A.Blank in Atlanta doesn't mean that he wants a GM job or would be willing to move back to a cold weather city like Buffalo--being a consultant is a whole lot easier than the grind of being a GM; Ron Wolf has consulted with a couple of owners, but has been adamant about not wanting to take a GM job with ANY team. Casserly and Reese may be interested in getting back into a front office position, but, then again, they may not--there's a lot of money in working in TV and a lot fewer headaches--and, if either were interested, they would likely have several suitors, including in some better situations.

After bringing in Marv Levy to restore some semblance of cooperation and harmony at OBD, RW is not likely to want to shake up the new, but still fragile positive atmosphere that Levy created by bringing in someone who is not familiar with the people that Wilson wants to retain. In all likelihood, if Wison is going to bring in anyone from outside of the organization, it will be someone like Gregg Gabriel from the Bears who is originally from the Buffalo area and is familiar with Jauron and Fewell. One can question just how good his drafts with the Bears have been and his level of experience, but he would be a guy who would be familiar with the Buffalo area and the needs of the organization and could potentially work with Jauron and his staff.

And, make no mistake about it, Jauron will still be the HC for at least another season, if not longer. Say what you want about the Bills only beating bad teams this season, but managing to even beat bad teams (the Bills went 6-1 against sub .500 teams) with the lack of talent that the Bills had on their roster and all of the injuries that further depleted that talent counts as a good coaching job, even if the Bills didn't play very entertaining football to achieve that. There are a lot of people in the game who will tell you that the object is to win games, no matter how you do it, and to start by beating the teams that you are supposed to beat. And, despite the lack of talent, inexperience and injuries, Jauron was able to do that without consistent play at the most important position on the field, QB. A lot of coaches would not have been able to do that and that will count for a lot in R.Wilson's eyes.

So, like it or not, Jauron's going to be the Bills' HC. And, he is likely to continue to try to play it close to the vest as he brings his still very young and inexperienced team along--he does not have the luxury of having a Brett Favre giving him Hall of Fame quality quarterbacking like the Packers do, his staff is still going to be wet-nursing a second year QB with all of a half a season of starting experience going into next season. And, if he wants his team to have a shot at making the playoffs--which I believe will be his goal--he's going to want to limit his team's turnovers, which means that, no matter who the OC is, he's still not going to want his QB chucking the ball all over the lot.

With 4 picks in the first 75 picks in the up-coming draft, I expect that the Bills will try to add a couple of play-makers on both sides of the ball. On offense, I would expect them to try to shore up the passing game with at least one top-flight receiver, perhaps two (a WR and a TE). This would take some of the pressure off of Lee Evans in the passing game and, if the passing game is more effective, make the running game better. The Bills new offensive line did a decent job of pass blocking this season and should be better in this area after a year of working together. But, with their rookie QB tipping off their running plays and their passing game not effective enough to keep the opposition from stacking 8-9 men in the box, it's not at all surprising that the offensive line wasn't as effective at run blocking. It's an area that they will have to improve in, but one that a more experienced QB and more dangerous targets in the passing game can help them improve in as well. With Fred Jackson showing that he can be a capable back-up to Marshawn Lynch, the Bills don't need to look for help at RB in the draft, but they will probably look for a QB to groom as a back-up in the later rounds, whether or not they keep JP Losman next season.

If Anthony Hargrove stays, the Bills may not look to make a big move at DE in the offseason with all of the money that they have tied up in Kelsay and Schobel. But, if Hargrove leaves, it would not be a shock to see them use one of their top 4 picks on a DE. With McCargo starting to come on, what happens with Hargrove could also impact what the team does at DT. With G.Dorsey likely to go to Miami with the 1st pick in the draft, a lot will depend on who is still on the board when the Bills are picking--they could feel that they need to take a DE or that they will get better value at another position of need and should wait until the middle of the draft (or sign a FA) to bring in help at DT.

With Posluzny coming back and the experience that DiGiorgio got at MLB this season, I'm not sure that the Bills will make a big move at LB, unless they able to make a big splash by signing Briggs away from Chicago (which I doubt will happen). I think that they are going to expect improve from within.

With all of the injuries that the team had on defense, Donte Whitner was asked to do a lot of things that prevented him from even trying to be the play-maker that he might have been. If he isn't asked to cover for injuried LBs, FSs and play against slot receivers as a nickle-back and can just concentrate on playing his own position, Whitner--whose numbers were comparable to many of the top SSs (BTW: compare Whitner's numbers to those that Bob Sanders put up in his first two seasons if you want an eye-opener)--will have an opportunity to make some plays that he couldn't this season. And, with Ko Simpson and George Wilson returning at free safety, I doubt that the Bills will see a need to make an upgrade in this area.

Where I do see the Bills trying to make a major upgrade, most likely in the draft, is at cornerback. As well as Jabari Greer and Terrance McGee played and with Jason Webster coming back, the Bills still need more and better playmakers at the CB position to match up with the teams that they will be facing. As maddening as it was to see them sit back in their zone coverages, without a true cover corner like Nate Clements, there were times when they were simply overmatched if they tried to play much man-to-man.

Additions at 5-6 positions would make the Bills a lot better and more competitive than they were this season. Improvements can be added at 4 of those positions in the first three rounds of the draft. Adding one or two key free agents would take care of the rest. But, even if the Bills didn't add any big-time free agents and their rookies took some time to develop, the influx of talent, along with the experience that their young players gained this season and the return of some of their injured players is going to make the team better next season.

Good enough to compete with the top teams for a Super Bowl title? Probably not. But, probably good enough to have a very good chance to get into the playoffs given the schedule that they will be playing--barring another unusual rash of injuries. Good enough to have them one more solid offseason away from being able to really compete with "the big boys".

If that's the way that Jauron and Wilson are seeing things at this stage--and I would not be surprised if it is--then I wouldn't be expecting the Bills to bring in a big name offensive coordinator this offseason, either. With several of the players saying that they would like to see Turk Schonert promoted, I would have to make him the favorite for the job. If Jauron looks outside of the organization, I would expect him to look for yet another lower profile OC whose philosophy matches Jauron's "keep the game close, don't turn the ball over, and try to get your playmakers to win the game for you by making a couple of big plays" philosophy. It should be obvious by now that Jauron doesn't care where his team is ranked in terms of yards gained or given up, all he cares about is points scored vs points allowed and wins--because that is what his job depends on, not anything else.

And, as long as Jauron is the Bills HC and has a say in how things are done, I wouldn't--and I don't--expect that to change.

Mudflap1
01-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Well, I would be interested in seeing that. I browsed your "started thread history" to no avail.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/06nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_Rank_2.html

It was over 6 months ago when I posted it, but you found the link to one of the years. The Bills are 13th in the NFL in operating income in that link. So there you go, 13th out of 32 teams. Not too bad Ralph, is it? So much for "cash to cap" and crying the poor act.

Jon

Jaybird
01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
If we hire martz i will no longer watch the bills play

madness
01-03-2008, 10:40 AM
If we hired Martz, Lynch would want out as soon as his rookie contract was up.

Go ask Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones what they think of the pass happy freak.

ParanoidAndroid
01-03-2008, 02:30 PM

OFFENSE

DEFENSIVELY

We also slipped in scoring defense from 10th in 2006 to 18th in 2007

Nighthawk
01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Than why didn't he move the team to LA or Seattle or any one of the other locations he could have moved the team to inthe pursuit or more money?

The theory does not hold up.

Nor does your theory that he does care about winning. Show me? All these losing seasons don't support your claims. Staying inside to hire guys who are mediocre....doesn't support your claims. Giving Jauron, a lifelong loser as a HC, more power...doesn't support your claim.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
FACT: Players make GM's and coaches look good or bad.

FACT: If players produce any GM/Coach can look good.

How much better would Tom Donahoe would have looked if Losman, Williams, Spikes, and McGahee didn't turn out to be busts?

Was Marv Levy a great coach or did he just benefit from having Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Bennett, Smith, Paup, Conlan, etc... on the roster?

yordad
01-03-2008, 09:30 PM
If we hired Martz, Lynch would want out as soon as his rookie contract was up.

Go ask Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones what they think of the pass happy freak.What about Marshal Faulk? Jackson had 90 receptions last year. I don't think he was complaining about the passing attack.

I realize Martz wasn't there last year, but he left an impression. And either way, this is in reference to a pass happy offense.

Was Kevin Jones good or something?

yordad
01-03-2008, 09:45 PM
FACT: Players make GM's and coaches look good or bad.

FACT: If players produce any GM/Coach can look good.

How much better would Tom Donahoe would have looked if Losman, Williams, Spikes, and McGahee didn't turn out to be busts?

Was Marv Levy a great coach or did he just benefit from having Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Bennett, Smith, Paup, Conlan, etc... on the roster?Do you not have to coach players? They have all kinds of fundamentals, but can certain coaches teach more than others? Are some coaches better at getting the best out of their talent? Motivating? Conditioning? Training? Keeping them focused? Teaching proper footwork?

Can some be better at devising a game plan?

Creating plays? Creating mismatches? Using talent properly? Adjustments? Calling plays? Calling plays can be a bit of a chess match; are some not better at chess then others?

Do they not have to decide who starts or evaluate talent?

Why do some coaches get paid more? Can my old high school football coach jump right into the NFL?

Can a new RB coach call plays as good as a old OC? I guess it is possible. Is it likely? No. I'm sure some have a knack. I'm sure experience means a lot.

If it doesn't, and some coaches cannot get more out of talent then others, then it wouldn't matter who coached. If talent was everything, and coaching nothing, anyone could do it. Just show up. RW should hire me. I would be a bargain basement deal.

Fairchild sucked.

yordad
01-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Nor does your theory that he does care about winning. Show me? All these losing seasons don't support your claims. Staying inside to hire guys who are mediocre....doesn't support your claims. Giving Jauron, a lifelong loser as a HC, more power...doesn't support your claim.Aren't you the one making a claim? The easy assumption would be he cares. Wouldn't that be a logical? He owns a football team. Do you think he would rather lose?

There is a cap in place. You cannot spend over it. If you spend future cap dollars, you cannot spend them again.

Name a HC that was promoted from within? And, please show me a RW quote saying "Jauron will have more power next year".

He hasn't even hired an offensive coach or GM yet, and you are making guesses. You are the one claiming, and your claims are based on guesses.

Donahoe was a big hire from outside the organization. I think he could have hired someone cheaper. Don't you?

Actually, I see your point. I'm kinda just playing devils advocate. I'm kinda of with you, just not for the same reasons.

madness
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
What about Marshal Faulk? Jackson had 90 receptions last year. I don't think he was complaining about the passing attack.

I realize Martz wasn't there last year, but he left an impression. And either way, this is in reference to a pass happy offense.

Was Kevin Jones good or something?

...and had almost 100 more rushing attempts then the year before.

Linehan and Olson's offense shouldn't be compared to Martz's offense. St. Louis now runs a hybrid of a spread and west coast offense so obviously their going to get the ball into Jackson's hands more because it relies more on timing routes and shorter passes. Martz's is all vertical passing game.

Martz ran an aggressive offense which didn't let the defense dictate what they were going to do. Now the Ram's offense is all about ball control and limiting mistakes to prevent turnovers.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Do you not have to coach players? They have all kinds of fundamentals, but can certain coaches teach more than others? Are some coaches better at getting the best out of their talent? Motivating? Conditioning? Training? Keeping them focused? Teaching proper footwork?

Coaching is important but it's not half as important as the talent that is on the field.

What was Bellicheck coaching record before coming to NE?

Levy before coming to Buffalo?

Marucci after he left the 49ers?

How come Barry Switzer is no longer a head coach?

The list is endless.

Players make coaches.

Patti120
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Good Post LTBF!

yordad
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Coaching is important but it's not half as important as the talent that is on the field.

What was Bellicheck coaching record before coming to NE?

Levy before coming to Buffalo?

Marucci after he left the 49ers?

How come Barry Switzer is no longer a head coach?

The list is endless.

Players make coaches.Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bill Walsh could turn me into a probowl QB.

I am simply saying coaching is very important. You can have little talent succeed. And, you can have great talent fail. Is it always the case? Of course not.

Am I saying talent doesn't mean anything? Clearly not. Am I saying talent isn't everything? I sure am.

Coaching is very important. And, I think you are underestimating it, considering you seemingly are giving it no credit, blame, or value.

Do I think a different OC could have won us the super bowl? No. Got us into the playoffs? Yes, that is a possibility.

Fairchild sucked.