PDA

View Full Version : If you want a new GM to fire Jauron, then who?

Midwesternbillsfan
01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I am not necessarily thrilled with the idea of promoting from within- Turk Schonert- to be our next offensive coordinator and there also seem to be few reasons to get truly excited about John Guy or Jim Overdorf as our next GM. But for those that are more adamantly against both of these possible moves and for those that want a 'young, dynamic GM' (I've read this quite a bit... in many ways I concur), do you want him to fire Dick Jauron? And if Bill Cowher and Marty Schottenheimer are either unwilling to coach in Buffalo or Wilson won't pay what it requires for either (admittedly significantly less for Schottenheimer, but he will still cost more than a failed retread or a coordinator receiving a promotion), what moves would have made been to improve our franchise?

I believe that if we hire a GM from outside the organization that he must be reserved the right to fire Jauron if he has another direction for this team; that's generally imbedded in a GM's title, that he ultimately picks the head coach of an organization because their fates are inextricably intertwined. And that's fair. But I also believe that many wouldn't like the result if the head coach he named to replace Jauron isn't Cowher (won't be Cowher) or isn't Schottenheimer (don't know if the proliferating Atlanta rumors have any merit, but probably wouldn't be him, either) because then... who would you like to have? Who are you actually down to? What viable remaining candidates are there? Intriguing coordinators? How many Bills' fans would rather have an 'up and coming' coordinator than Jauron right now?

You could say that at least an young, fresh coordinator would have some mystery; he wouldn't be an 'established, mediocore' coach like Dick, which many contend. I would dispute that- many monitoring Buffalo's situation the last two years would dispute that- and Jauron's had just two seasons; I think he deserves a third. And even if he hasn't overwhelmed Bills' fans the way he has the media, he has not done enough to justify his firing, especially given the fact that he had to attempt to salvage Losman's standing as starter in Buffalo AND then had to break in a rookie at the most important position in the sport when Losman failed (to say nothing about the injuries in '07, which have been overplayed to some extent, or our 'cash to the cap' constraints, which are self-imposed by Wilson but many coaches couldn't even achieve mediocrity under them).

I say... give Jauron one more year and one more offseason in which Buffalo- finally- has to fear losing nobody via a trade for cap purposes or in FA (no major free agent; no starter, either), and when the Bills again have a copious amount of cap room to add at least two starters and 10 draft picks (4 in the top 73) to improve the talent on our roster. Again, be careful what you wish for: if it's neither Cowher or Schottenheimer, will you be happy with a new GM making a coaching change... especially if it's a coordinator w/o any head coaching experience? Provide a list of candidates besides Coach Chin and Schotty if you can think of anyone else w/experience and success that can be had this January...

Kerr
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm on the fence with jauron. I understand what you're saying about giving him one more year since he got an injured riddled team to overachieve, but on the other hand, i'm tired of waiting more than one year for the playoffs. You can't help but think that jauron's gameday screwups will spoil the season again. I mean if he hasn't learned after all these years, will he ever? With Jauron making personnel decisions, i'd rather promote him to GM if I had the choice. It takes him off the field. The most important thing would be for him to choose the right head coach and allow that head coach to pick his own assistants or retain some current ones.
As long as April, schonert and mcnally stay onboard, they should be okay. Fewell is too much of a fool. He should leave. I still can't get over him putting schobel on westbrook? How dumb can you get?

Devin
01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Quite simply id like to bring in the following:

Tom Dimitroff - Patriots director of college scouting
Josh McDaniels - Patriots OC

Why? I simply believe apart from a winning attitude and pedigree those two know and have worked around a franchise that knows how to get it done. They bring something we've not had in awhile. Mcdaniels is exactly the type of youthful, offensive mind we need.

Of course thats a pipe dream and I know that, im simply saying thats what id love to see happen.

BuffaloBlakely14
01-02-2008, 08:17 PM

Why? I simply believe apart from a winning attitude and pedigree those two know and have worked around a franchise that knows how to get it done. They bring something we've not had in awhile. Mcdaniels is exactly the type of youthful, offensive mind we need.

Of course thats a pipe dream and I know that, im simply saying thats what id love to see happen.

I too realize that they are pretty much a pipedream, but I really want McDaniels.

Nighthawk
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Excellent points and well written. This is where I believe this organization doesn't get it. Bring in winners and not losers and maybe, just maybe, we'll see a winning team.

Devin
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Exactly. Part of winning is bringing in guys who know how.

Create a stable environment from the top down and the players will follow.

Nighthawk
01-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Exactly. Part of winning is bringing in guys who know how.

Create a stable environment from the top down and the players will follow.

Agreed. Although not Bills related, I also think this is the Sabres problem. If you want to win, you have to have guys on the team who know how and can show the rest of the players.

Another great point, Devin!

Midwesternbillsfan
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm on the fence with jauron. I understand what you're saying about giving him one more year since he got an injured riddled team to overachieve, but on the other hand, i'm tired of waiting more than one year for the playoffs. You can't help but think that jauron's gameday screwups will spoil the season again. I mean if he hasn't learned after all these years, will he ever? With Jauron making personnel decisions, i'd rather promote him to GM if I had the choice. It takes him off the field. The most important thing would be for him to choose the right head coach and allow that head coach to pick his own assistants or retain some current ones.
As long as April, schonert and mcnally stay onboard, they should be okay. Fewell is too much of a fool. He should leave. I still can't get over him putting schobel on westbrook? How dumb can you get?

Actually, I am not merely advocating keeping Jauron because he did a moderately competent job given what was handed him; I am making the opposite point that you are- just how are we any closer to contention with a new coach and presumably a new defensive scheme, too, which could become doubly problematic if involves a 3-4 scheme? We would need even more pieces for that than we would to augment the Cover 2 we're running. As bad as most of the statistics indicate that we were defensively (31st overall), oddly enough are points allowed per game didn't correspond to our 31 overall ranking in total defense; we were 18th in points allowed (22.1), despite 94 given up to New England (obviously, those points count, too). And last year we were 7th in points allowed, the most consequential defensive statistic.

Anyway, again, how are we closer to the playoffs next year by detonating what we've developed the last two years? You really are on the fence about continuing to develop it versus blowing it up? Cleaning house does exactly that, let no one make any mistake. And how would we be closer to the playoffs- this was the main point I was trying to make- if we couldn't seize Cowher (we can't) or Schottenheimer (again, doubtful)? A coordinator, even a highly touted one, turned coach isn't taking steps forward to the postseason, IMO. And I want people to consider the candidates to replace Jauron once you remove Cowher and Schottenheimer from the pool.