• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Bears draft guru could get a shot in Buffalo

I just put this up on the main page. Interesting Chicago perspective:

Despite a shaky 2007 rookie class, Gabriel maintains a solid reputation around the league for the way he helped Jerry Angelo build a Super Bowl team in 2006 largely through the draft. It was the fourth Super Bowl participant Gabriel had been involved in building.

The key to the process will be Bills coach Dick Jauron, a league source said.

Many expect Jauron's power to increase with Levy's departure. The next executive hired -- not necessarily to carry the title of general manager -- will have to work in concert with him. If the next candidate would be willing to be called vice president of player personnel, it might help his cause.
    My guess is that if Gabriel is given a chance (and I don't completely buy the increased power for Jauron argument), it would mean the end for Mordak, as it seems this is Gabriel's area of expertise. Guy and Overdorf would still definitely have a place, but Mordak would be a redundant hang-on.

Last edited by Don't Panic; 01-03-2008, 08:52 AM.
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Bears draft guru could get a shot in Buffalo

The question remains if he'll get a chance as up to now it's been only speculated that he'll get one as have nothing from Buffalo Bills.com or 1 Bills Drive starting that we're giving him a interview. Instead I've seen a writer, in Mark Gaughan, mention how great a fit he would be here. I think he'd be a good pick too based on his track record and being a Buffalonian but do we know if the Bills are really interested in him or if he's even interested in the Bills?

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

I think the Buffalo roots and lack of need to have total control make him a logical assumption...as do his past with Jauron, Fewell and the Bills organization.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

The mentioned in that article that he was one of the candidates in 06 when Marv was hired. I'd be alright with Ralph bringing him in, he's from Buffalo, so he knows that the fans are tired of seeing losing teams.

As for Modrak, he's had opportunity after opportunity to be the GM, but doesn't want to move to Buffalo, so I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

he really nailed those cederick benson and grossman picks.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

I wonder if he and Modrak can co exist especially when it comes to drafting. If they don't bump heads , I think we could have one hell of a scouting dept.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
              Why did you leave out... Tackle Tommie Harris, cornerback Charles Tillman, safety Danieal Manning, linebacker Lance Briggs, cornerback Nathan Vasher and ends Alex Brown and Mark Anderson represent high picks, middle-round hopes and late-round finds. Devin Hester was a grand slam in the second round.

The story on Benson was that Angelo did everything he could to get him to start over Jones in fear of losing his job. So that pretty much sounds like Angelo was the one had the hard on for him. I wouldn't doubt the same with Grossman.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by madness
                The story on Benson was that Angelo did everything he could to get him to start over Jones in fear of losing his job. So that pretty much sounds like Angelo was the one had the hard on for him. I wouldn't doubt the same with Grossman.
                Even if it wasn't Angelo who had influence on the Grossman pick... most people thought Grossman would be a pretty decent pro QB. It's easy to look back and judge that one, but there were a lot of people who thought he had a pretty good pro career ahead of him on draft day.

Comment

• User Manuel
                  The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                  • Nov 2003

That being said they have both played in one more Super Bowl than the Bills in the last two years.

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Lawesome97
                    That being said they have both played in one more Super Bowl than the Bills in the last two years.
                    He also helped the Giants get to three Super Bowls.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

tommy harris was not a hard pick to make.. everyone and their brother knew the guy was going to be a stud..

im just saying i dont like when a team drops 2 of 3 1st round picks on total crap.. which is what they did with benson and grossman.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• venis2k1
                        Youboty can hope
                        • Jul 2002

im just saying i dont like when a team drops 2 of 3 1st round picks on total crap.. which is what they did with benson and grossman.

Erik Flowers
                        Mike Williams
                        Drew Bledsoe
                        Willis Mcgahee
                        JP Losman
                        Dante Whitner

I know what you mean.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

tommy harris was not a hard pick to make.. everyone and their brother knew the guy was going to be a stud..

and yet we passed on him to select Lee Evans and then took Tim Anderson in the 3rd Round by contrast the Bears took Harris and Bernard Berrian in Round 3. I've posted it many times but the draft is all about getting the best collection of players.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

If Gabriel is hired, Modrak will probably end up in St Louis with TD again.

Although I still feel someone already in the organization is going to get the job, I'd be OK with this hire. I wonder if he'll bring someone from Chicago's staff with him to be OC with Dick's blessing?
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

we need to raid the pats front office.

Comment

Working...
                              X