PDA

View Full Version : Bills should follow rival Miami's lead

Don't Panic
01-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Here's another perspective... hit the reset button and bring in a proven guy:

What the Bills should do is aggressively pursue a proven judge of talent -- perhaps someone like former Tennessee Titans G.M. Floyd Reese -- and allow that person to find the right head coach and players, even if it means more rebuilding for a team that hasn't made a trip to the playoffs in eight seasons.
In the long run, promoting from within to replace Levy and keeping Jauron would just be another example of the Bills' organization spinning its wheels. If much-maligned team owner Ralph Wilson is smart, he'll follow Miami's lead and bring in a front-office executive who knows how to successfully run a football team. That way, the Bills might actually challenge for the playoffs and the AFC East down the line instead of constantly looking up at the Patriots and -- perhaps soon -- the Dolphins.

I actually don't agree with Byrne on this one, but its definitely worth discussion.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20858.html

HHURRICANE
01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
The plan is in place. I'm sure in Wilson's mind the injuries cost us a playoff run so i doubt he's going to do much.

Overdorf will be the GM.

Voltron
01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I like DJ. I am not sure what everyone's problem is with him. His players love him, He has done more with less than a lot of other coaches this year, his in-game decisions have been improving. What more do people want? Ralph will never pony up money for any proven coach. Like everything else in life you get what you pay for and for as much as DJ gets paid we are getting a heck of a deal.

Don't Panic
01-03-2008, 09:24 AM
V -
I like DJ for the role he currently has. I'd rather see a GM work with him on personnel moves than him take the FO reins, that's all.

justasportsfan
01-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I like DJ. I am not sure what everyone's problem is with him. His players love him, He has done more with less than a lot of other coaches this year, his in-game decisions have been improving. What more do people want? Ralph will never pony up money for any proven coach. Like everything else in life you get what you pay for and for as much as DJ gets paid we are getting a heck of a deal.
Same here. HIs problem is, he's clueless offensively. He's completely dependent on his OC.

Night Train
01-03-2008, 09:56 AM
he's clueless offensively & defensively. He's completely dependent on his OC & DC.

Corrected.

justasportsfan
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Corrected.
Weird, with all the injuries, this D carried the O. If the O had some brain running things, the D would've sufficed. We'd be in the playoffs. It's a little too mmcuh to be asking the D to stop offenses and be the offensive weapon at the same time.

This bend and don't break D limited offenses to FG's. The O didn't do their part whe they had the ball.

Historian
01-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I like him too.

I just wish he would show a bit more emotion on the sidelines.

The team seems to follow his lead in that respect.

justasportsfan
01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I like him too.

I just wish he would show a bit more emotion on the sidelines.

The team seems to follow his lead in that respect.

The D does show enough emotion on the field. Parcells and Greghead produced nothing with such emotions. Neither did Saban.

Our offensive players did show their emotions as well. Usually disgust over their OC.

Voltron
01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Same here. HIs problem is, he's clueless offensively. He's completely dependent on his OC.
Isn't that the point of an OC and DC? :idunno:

justasportsfan
01-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Isn't that the point of an OC and DC? :idunno:
Some HC have the ability to take over the playcalling if they have to.Dick can't to save his life.

Stewie
01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
if everyone followed this guys advice, all the known commodities would eventually die and then what?

At one point, someone took a chance on parcells. Someone took a chance on polian. Someone took a chance on belichick. At the end of the day, you can only pick who you think is the best guy available going forward, and past performance is never a guarantee of future results.

Voltron
01-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Some HC have the ability to take over the playcalling if they have to.Dick can't to save his life.
The HC is the big picture guy. His OC and DC create the Game plans and scripts. If he were to do play calling wouldn't he just follow the script that was made up by the OC?

justasportsfan
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
The HC is the big picture guy. His OC and DC create the Game plans and scripts. If he were to do play calling wouldn't he just follow the script that was made up by the OC?
but when things don't work the HC should have the ability ot take over. Shanahan calls in the plays. same goes with Gruden and some other HC. I'm not saying thats how it should be but it's obvious Dick can't.

Going into this season we supposedly had more talent offensively and yet they were the worst unit on this team. Dick shoulv'e fired Fairchild just like Billick fired Fasssel.

Voltron
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
but when things don't work the HC should have the ability ot take over. Shanahan calls in the plays. same goes with Gruden and some other HC. I'm not saying thats how it should be but it's obvious Dick can't.

Going into this season we supposedly had more talent offensively and yet they were the worst unit on this team. Dick shoulv'e fired Fairchild just like Billick fired Fasssel.
DJ's Background is in D. Do you really want a defensively minded coach calling plays for the offense? It is as true in football as in anything else. The truly smart person knows his or her limitations. Then based on that you work to either acquire the knowledge needed or surround your self with people that have the knowledge you are looking for.

Shanahan and Gruden both were OCs prior to being HCs to it is to be expected they can pick up the slack if needed.

justasportsfan
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
DJ's Background is in D. Do you really want a defensively minded coach calling plays for the offense? It is as true in football as in anything else. The truly smart person knows his or her limitations. Then based on that you work to either acquire the knowledge needed or surround your self with people that have the knowledge you are looking for.

Shanahan and Gruden both were OCs prior to being HCs to it is to be expected they can pick up the slack if needed.
Dick has made 2 bad decisions in picking his OC's. Completely clueless offensively.