PDA

View Full Version : Attention Bills Fans In Englang!

colin
04-03-2003, 05:13 PM
I will be moving there, I want to know about taping (is there a digital cable/stellite and TIVO style service in the UK?), and about using electronics in the UK.

Will I be able to use a North American PC with a voltage converter? Will i be able to use a PC TV tuner?

Is there a spot to check the Bills games in London?

thanx.

ublinkwescore
04-03-2003, 05:26 PM
My cousin lives there - I could email him, and get back with you with the answers, but I don't know how long it will take him to reply.

Want me to?

ublinkwescore
04-03-2003, 05:29 PM
There, I sent him an email with your questions, and told him to answer ASAP - hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

ublinkwescore
04-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Colin, this is the response I got from my cousin who lives in Thetford, England - which is about an hour and a half drive from London.

im not sure about the cable but he should be able to use his pc he'll just
have to get a few adapters. im not sure about the bills coverage in london
though.sorry that it took so long and sorry if i wasnt any help

Ð
04-06-2003, 11:30 AM
I think if you get sky sports premium (sattelite) , then they have like an NFL game of the week, but they don't have anything like NFL Sunday Ticket over there yet. Probably you best bet if you follow a particular team is to get someone put the game on an avi file or something & download it to you via winmx after the fact.

One thing you also have to consider is that local telephones are metered over there too (pay by the minute) , so if you are using dialup, it can be an expensive proposition.

McD
04-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Colin,
If you will be living near an American military base, you can pick up AFN (with a good antenna), which will guarantee you the two Bills prime time games and the Saturday game against the Jets. There may be a few more Bills games that might be on, but it depends on how competetive there are. Also, they broadcast in PAL format in the UK, but AFN uses NTSC like in North America. If possible, try to get a multisystem TV and VCR before you get there. This way you can tape and watch in either format. Remember "multisystem", not just dual voltage. If you will get the chance to get onto one of the bases on a Sunday, go to the enlisted clubs. They usually have a few games on big screen TV's with beer and food specials to go along with other "give aways". Pretty good time actually. Hope this helps.

McD

Ð
04-06-2003, 11:18 PM
I remember travelling across England in the run-up to the FA Cup in spring of 1996. I was in a pub in Liverpool when Liverpool played Newcastle to win the league (regular season) title, and let me tell you if you think NFL fans are nuts, nothing compares to rabid English Football supporters.

We were in Crawley (just outside of Gatwick Airport) for the actual FA Cup final and it was funny I snuck out of the pub to a shopping mall at the half and was amazed..I was the only guy in the whole mall...everone else was at their local (pub). What a game! I still remember Eric Cantona from Man United blasting the game winner past Liverpool's David James and the pub went absolutely mad.

Colin if you're moving soon, the FA cup madness is just getting into the thick of things, so enjoy it, they are absolutely football-mad there.
When in rome....

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Doug are you talking about soccer??

Ð
04-06-2003, 11:32 PM
It's called football in the rest of the world outside of North America.

mikemac2001
04-06-2003, 11:43 PM
SUcks for you NO bills!!!

colin
04-07-2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks alot for the help fellas.

I may just need to get my peeps in Canada to tape and airmail games.

Mr. Miyagi
04-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Ð
It's called football in the rest of the world outside of North America.
GO Manchester United!!!