X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

08 Bills: What do you think...

This is a realistic example of what the Bills could look like next year considering how much we spend in FA typically and our needs in the draft.

QB: Trent Edwards

RBs: Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson

LT: Jason Peters

LG: Dockery

C: Jeremy Newberry

RG: Brad Butler

RT: L.Walker

TE: Fred Davis (First round pick. 6'4 250-- 62 rec, 881 yards, 8TD this year.)

WR1: Lee Evans

WR2: Earnest Wilford-- 6'4 223 --- big posession type reciever we need.

Defense

RDE: Schoebel

DT: McCargo
    DT: Draft pick (2nd round pick there are lots of cover 2 type guys in this draft.

DE: Chris Kelsay

LOLB: Xavier Adibi: trade back up into second round to take Adibi

MLB: Poz

ROLB: Crowell

CB: McGee

SS: Whitner

FS: Wilson/Ko

CB: Greer

I think that this offense and defense would put us at 10-6. Fred Davis would be the most influencial player in our turn around on offense.
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: 08 Bills: What do you think...

Davis nor is any other TE, as things stand now, worthy of a first round pick let alone a top 15 pick.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
      • Jun 2005

I agree TE isnt our main problem WR is. I like Gaines as out TE

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BillsIN05
        I agree TE isnt our main problem WR is. I like Gaines as out TE
        You like Gaines as our TE? you gotta be kidding... Sure he has made some plays but he doesnt have the speed or the hands to make clutch cathes in traffic, over the middle and in the redzone.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
          This is a realistic example of what the Bills could look like next year considering how much we spend in FA typically and our needs in the draft.

C: Jeremy Newberry

RG: Brad Butler

TE: Fred Davis (First round pick. 6'4 250-- 62 rec, 881 yards, 8TD this year.)

WR2: Earnest Wilford-- 6'4 223 --- big posession type reciever we need.

Defense

DT: Draft pick (2nd round pick there are lots of cover 2 type guys in this draft.

LOLB: Xavier Adibi: trade back up into second round to take Adibi

CB: Greer

I think that this offense and defense would put us at 10-6. Fred Davis would be the most influencial player in our turn around on offense.

FB: Jehuu Caulcrick (Round 7 Pick)

C: Jeff Faine (FA Signing)

RG: Jordan Grimes (Round 2 Pick)

TE: Kellen Davis (Round 4 Pick)

WR2: Malcolm Kelly (Round 1 Pick)

Defense

DT: Corey Williams (FA Signing)

LOLB: Beau Bell (Round 3 pick)

CB: McGee, Dominique Rodgers-Croamartie (Round 3 Pick)

CB: Greer, Brandon Carr (Round 6 Pick)
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

C: Korey Lichtensteiger 4th round pick

RG: Jordan Grimes 2nd round pick

TE: Eric Johnson FA

WR2: Justin Gage

WR3: Marcus Monk 5th round pick

WR4: Josh Reed

Defense

DT: DeMario Pressley 2nd round pick - trade up to get

LOLB: Boss Bailey FA

FS: Ko Simpson

CB: Malcolm Jenkins 1st round pick

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy

FB: Jehuu Caulcrick (Round 7 Pick)

C: Jeff Faine (FA Signing)

RG: Jordan Grimes (Round 2 Pick)

TE: Kellen Davis (Round 4 Pick)

WR2: Malcolm Kelly (Round 1 Pick)

Defense

DT: Corey Williams (FA Signing)

LOLB: Beau Bell (Round 3 pick)

CB: McGee, Dominique Rodgers-Croamartie (Round 3 Pick)

CB: Greer, Brandon Carr (Round 6 Pick)
              I like yer line-up as well.... the only thing is that I think that the difference between Malcolm Kelly and the 10th best WR in the draft is minimal where as the difference between Fred Davis and the 6th or th best TE is big. Also I think its much easier to find a big posession WR than a big, fast, TE with soft hands who is a play maker. Thats why I think TE should be our priority with our first pick.

I really like Corey Williams although I think he will cost a lot.

I like Faine but I chose Newberry because he is more of a road grater than Faine..Look what he did for the Raiders,,, thats what we need.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

C: Korey Lichtensteiger 4th round pick

RG: Jordan Grimes 2nd round pick

TE: Eric Johnson FA

WR2: Justin Gage

WR3: Marcus Monk 5th round pick

WR4: Josh Reed

Defense

DT: DeMario Pressley 2nd round pick - trade up to get

LOLB: Boss Bailey FA

FS: Ko Simpson

CB: Malcolm Jenkins 1st round pick
                Eric Johnson is really slow... Good hands,, but slow,,, we need some speed at TE.

I like the trade up for Pressley.

Justin Gage is a real wild card that worries me with his inconsistency but I doubt he would cost much so I wouldnt mind picking him up.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Eric Johnson is really slow... Good hands,, but slow,,, we need some speed at TE.

I like the trade up for Pressley.

Justin Gage is a real wild card that worries me with his inconsistency but I doubt he would cost much so I wouldnt mind picking him up.
                  See I don't think the speed is our top priority at TE. I don't think EJ is the long term answer at tight end, but will be an excellent short term fix. He can catch which is what we need. He'd be an excellent "security blanket" for Trent in his 1 or 2 years here until there is one of those "wow" tight ends available in the draft. I don't think there is one of those this year, especially none worth spending the 11th pick in the draft for.

I don't need my TE to run 25-30 yard patterns, I just want the guy who knows how to get open underneath and pick up 7-10 yards. I know, people on this site hate dink and dunk, but it does move the chains and keeps the clock running. Both plusses in my opinion.

You're right about Gage, he's gonna either be hit or miss. Hopefully he's a hit, if not, then it's back to the drawing board. I think Johnson will be priced out of our ballpark to be honest. Although he's also an excellent choice.

And Pressley can be a dominant DT when he chooses to be plus he excels in crashing the pocket and shooting the gap. Something this team desperately needs up the middle.

I can't disagree with the Newberry or Faine signing though, and would be happy with either. Because, well I'll be honest, I think Fowler is at best the 3rd worst C in the NFL. Lichtensteiger has upside but can it match the level Newberry or Faine are at? Unknown. I wouldn't mind signing either guy and still drafting Lichtensteiger to be honest.

And I can't see us going into another season with McGee and Greer as our 1 and 2 corners. Plus Youboty for whatever reason is just not good enough.

I'm not all that familiar on Adibi...in your opinion what warrants drafting him over signing Boss Bailey via FA?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

I like yer line-up as well.... the only thing is that I think that the difference between Malcolm Kelly and the 10th best WR in the draft is minimal where as the difference between Fred Davis and the 6th or th best TE is big. Also I think its much easier to find a big posession WR than a big, fast, TE with soft hands who is a play maker. Thats why I think TE should be our priority with our first pick.

I really like Corey Williams although I think he will cost a lot.

I like Faine but I chose Newberry because he is more of a road grater than Faine..Look what he did for the Raiders,,, thats what we need.

What? What?! There is no real comparison between Kelly and say Jason Rivers or a Steve Johnson. Kelly is way better then either of those type of players. As for TE's there are 7-8 solid NFL starters and Im not as in love with Davis as many others are and there is no way he's worth the #11 overall.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

i like most of these scenarios, however, i don't think CB is a need. Someone had a round 1 on CB. i think our coverage has been ok considering we rarely get to the QB with our pass rush.

Get the LB's and get the TE and WR. I really think that's what will help us find our legs. The secondary can cover for 4 seconds, but not the 5 to 7 that we've allowed. The DL is locked with the salary so you can't do much there but to add a tackle and get a LB. Hopefully that helps stuff the run some more.

Then on offense, a good coordinator can help get us more productivity from Lynch, Evans, and Edwards. add in a real TE and another WR, this team finally has the continuity on the OL to start making some plays.

Call me naive, but i really think this offseason is going to determine whether ralph had a plan all along or if he is just interested in lining his pocketbooks.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                        See I don't think the speed is our top priority at TE. I don't think EJ is the long term answer at tight end, but will be an excellent short term fix. He can catch which is what we need. He'd be an excellent "security blanket" for Trent in his 1 or 2 years here until there is one of those "wow" tight ends available in the draft. I don't think there is one of those this year, especially none worth spending the 11th pick in the draft for.

I don't need my TE to run 25-30 yard patterns, I just want the guy who knows how to get open underneath and pick up 7-10 yards. I know, people on this site hate dink and dunk, but it does move the chains and keeps the clock running. Both plusses in my opinion.

You're right about Gage, he's gonna either be hit or miss. Hopefully he's a hit, if not, then it's back to the drawing board. I think Johnson will be priced out of our ballpark to be honest. Although he's also an excellent choice.

And Pressley can be a dominant DT when he chooses to be plus he excels in crashing the pocket and shooting the gap. Something this team desperately needs up the middle.

I can't disagree with the Newberry or Faine signing though, and would be happy with either. Because, well I'll be honest, I think Fowler is at best the 3rd worst C in the NFL. Lichtensteiger has upside but can it match the level Newberry or Faine are at? Unknown. I wouldn't mind signing either guy and still drafting Lichtensteiger to be honest.

And I can't see us going into another season with McGee and Greer as our 1 and 2 corners. Plus Youboty for whatever reason is just not good enough.

I'm not all that familiar on Adibi...in your opinion what warrants drafting him over signing Boss Bailey via FA?
                        Youth I guess,,,, Plus Adibi is a solid all-around LB . VT's defense is built around Adibi and Vince Hall.

Tatonka can give you a better breakdown on Adibi. The resident Va Tech guy.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                          • Apr 2007

The Starters:

QB- Trent Edwards
                          RB- Marshawn Lynch
                          FB- Derek Schouman
                          WR- Lee Evans
                          WR- D.J. Hackett
                          TE- Martin Rucker
                          LT- Jason Peters
                          LG- Derrick Dockery
                          C- Melvin Folwer
                          RG- Brad Butler
                          RT- Langston Walker

LDE- Chris Kelsay
                          LDT- John McCargo
                          RDT- Corey Williams
                          RDE- Aaron Schobel
                          WLB- Paul Posluszny (contingent on getting Laurinaitus; I believe he is athletic enough)
                          MLB- James Laurinaitus (hasn't declared but plausible if Draft unfolded as my mock believes it could)
                          SLB- Angelo Crowell
                          CB- Antoine Cason (backed up by Jabari Greer)
                          CB- Terrence McGee
                          FS- Ko Simpson
                          SS- Donte Whitner

FA: Corey Williams (DT/Green Bay), D.J. Hackett (WR/Seattle)

Draft: James Laurinaitus (1st), Antoine Cason (2nd; trade own 2nd (42) and second 3rd (73) to St. Louis for pick #33), Martin Rucker (3rd- a bit of luck but questions as blocker)

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                            What? What?! There is no real comparison between Kelly and say Jason Rivers or a Steve Johnson. Kelly is way better then either of those type of players. As for TE's there are 7-8 solid NFL starters and Im not as in love with Davis as many others are and there is no way he's worth the #11 overall.
                            Watching Davis against Florida in the Bowl game you can tell that he is a natural playmaker like Shockey and Winlsow and Gates and so on,,,,,

Whereas I feel that there isnt much difference between:

James Hardy, Adarius Bowman, Mario Manningham, Limas Sweed, Andre Caldwell, Early Doucet. I think if we can get one of those in the second round, assuming we dont address it in FA then we should be fine.

The other reason I would rather have Davis over Kelly is that our offense is not in need of a very talented WR. We just need a WR that has different abilities than Evans. Which is why I think this will be addressed in FA with a guy like Wilford. Therefore I think our pick is more wisely spent on a player that is not easy to find, a playmaking TE.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Midwesternbillsfan
                              The Starters:

QB- Trent Edwards
                              RB- Marshawn Lynch
                              FB- Derek Schouman
                              WR- Lee Evans
                              WR- D.J. Hackett
                              TE- Martin Rucker
                              LT- Jason Peters
                              LG- Derrick Dockery
                              C- Melvin Folwer
                              RG- Brad Butler
                              RT- Langston Walker

LDE- Chris Kelsay
                              LDT- John McCargo
                              RDT- Corey Williams
                              RDE- Aaron Schobel
                              WLB- Paul Posluszny (contingent on getting Laurinaitus; I believe he is athletic enough)
                              MLB- James Laurinaitus (hasn't declared but plausible if Draft unfolded as my mock believes it could)
                              SLB- Angelo Crowell
                              CB- Antoine Cason (backed up by Jabari Greer)
                              CB- Terrence McGee
                              FS- Ko Simpson
                              SS- Donte Whitner

FA: Corey Williams (DT/Green Bay), D.J. Hackett (WR/Seattle)

Draft: James Laurinaitus (1st), Antoine Cason (2nd; trade own 2nd (42) and second 3rd (73) to St. Louis for pick #33), Martin Rucker (3rd- a bit of luck but questions as blocker)
                              If we draft LB then I would rather have Dan Connor,,,, might as well re-unite Connor with Poz.

Comment

Working...
                              X