PDA

View Full Version : On the GM search

X-Era
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
My money is on a promotion from within. The backup plan that makes sense to me is a guy like Gabriel who has links to the area, but mostly Jauron. That said I think its 70% likely its from the inside 30% from the outside.

Is this a problem???? Im not so sure.

Marv himself admitted that he had little to do with the process of scouting talent and even less to do with what was ahppening on the field. His comments basically showed us that the current job description for the Bills GM is more of an administrator and less of a true personnel manager. I think he gave us direct insight into the major shift in responsibilities after the departure of his tyrannical predecessor, Tom Donahoe. I think all parties involved agreed on a major change in philosophy to that of trusting your administrators and coaches and the recommendations that they are making to you. That said, I would imagine that if John Guy recommended a trade for Ricky Williams, Marv would strongly disagree and that player would likely not come here. But there is the rub, the entire staff now is philosophically against drafting or signing or trading for poor character players. They are now firmly for character, hard nosed players.

If thats true, what does it mean?

Well, more of the same. If Marv had little to do with who we drafted and/or signed but rather took the advice of the director/coach in charge of providing recommendations, then those lower level administrators/coaches are driving the shaping of this team. Those people are all still here. It follows that changes to drafting philosophy and free agency could only happen through massive staff changes at this point as long as the new GM keeps the same role that Marv held. I see that likely.

Put it plain and simple, same scouts, same coaches, same directors = same philosophy on drafting and free agency.

Why then, if the GM on the Bills is NOT largely responsible for shaping the Bills, would it matter if we promoted a senior administrator?

I would offer that adding someone with keen business sense may help to form strong business decisions on players. Many here argue that we waste money. Who would you rather have running the pocket book then? a ex-head coach or a business man?

I look at our past two years and would offer that the moves that they made did not hurt the team. Since the past seasons netted us the same result in wins and losses, how can anyone say that losing TKO, Fletcher, McGahee, and Clements made us worse?

Furthermore, when we put so many on IR and lost several starters for the season, how can we argue that we dont have a coach who can get the most out of their players?

Moreover, we managed to get a starting 1000 yard+ RB as a rookie, and have a starting rookie QB from the same draft. Add in a starting ILB in Pos, starting FS, SS, OLB, 2 rotation DT's from the previous draft and we should be impressed. We also spent HEAVILY on the OL and finally kept an immobile QB from being sacked while plowing the way for the aforementioned 1000+ rookie RB. Many here have clamored for OL changes for years. Well, you got em and even a rookie QB could manage to stay upright behind that OL.

My point is this. If it aint broke, dont fix it. And promoting from within keeps continuity, and maintains responsibility, and philosophy.