PDA

View Full Version : Ian Scott Cut By Philly

LifetimeBillsFan
01-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Former Chicago Bear DT Ian Scott was just cut by Philadelphia (see Transactions on NFL.com).

While he was injured and didn't have a very good season for the Eagles, Scott was a guy that many thought that the Bills might be interested in signing to beef up their DT rotation last year.

If healthy, is he someone that you would like to see the Bills sign as a free agent this offseason rather than have the team use one of its top 4 picks in the draft on a DT?

Things to consider: Having signed for a fairly decent amount, including bonus, last offseason, Scott might not be that expensive to sign this offseason. Glenn Dorsey will certainly go in the top 3 and Sedrick Ellis might also be gone by the time the Bills pick at # 11. Scott has experience in the system and knows P.Fewell. Signing a FA DT like Scott would allow the Bills the luxury of going after a big-time pass rusher, top CB or top-flight WR with their first pick and still allow them to address their other positions of need early in the draft. It often takes even the best DTs time to develop, so there's no guarantee that they will get a lot of immediate help if they draft a DT (unless they get Dorsey or Ellis).

What do you think?

YardRat
01-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Go for it.

tampabay25690
01-04-2008, 05:42 AM
WHY NOT. Can't be worse then what we have. I DO like MCCARGO next year, I think this guy will blossom into that player that we want

mysticsoto
01-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't mind grabbing Scott - as long as we don't overpay. At the very least, if he's healthy, we can dump Jason Jefferson and automatically be better at depth. I'd still like to see us go after Sedrick Ellis. I don't think it would be too costly for us to move up in the 1st rd and the pay off would be huge!

venis2k1
01-04-2008, 08:22 AM
I am also turning into a big mcCargo fan, but it took him 2 years in the nfl to get to this point in his development and he aint done yet. DT is one of the positons that its real hard to find a impact player at, it takes a few years to get his mind and body strong enough to play on sundays. LB and WR has much less of a learning curve.

bigbub2352
01-04-2008, 08:40 AM
I would welcome a vet at DT, over guys like Kyle Williams and jason jefferson
we plays hard and would be good fit in the scheme and probably be better than over priced Larry Triplett, we need guyz who are hungary not goin thru the motions

colin
01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
hmm.

i like that idea.

on D we need a new starter at CB, at OLB, and at DT.

now i honestly think we will sign briggs, or perhaps there might be someone else at WLB. what is interesting is CB and DT.

if we can get a FA CB and draft ellis that would be good, but it is more likely that a very good corner falls to us (and we might be able to trade down and still get one) than a DT. after the best 2 or so the quality of DTs fall off, so we could prolly get the 3rd best one in the 2nd round or so.

i think we are gonna sign a WR, either in FA or trade for one. if we get our olb and dt in fa, we can trade down and get a DB, and then do whatever we need to packaging picks to get another 1st rounder or high 2nd and get our DE, an interior lineman, and more LB and WR picks.

we really need to add 1 or 2 vets to each side of the ball.

although we need to get some good linemen of course, DL usually take a few years to be very good, but a high 2nd spend on a guard or C is usually a solid guy right off the bat. a young TE in the 2nd ( i like rucker) could also contribute quickly.

and of course, 1st round corners tend to be solid right out the gate.

i still think we need to spend more picks on DT/WR/LB, but our first 3 or some should get starters IMO.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2008, 08:49 AM
I believe that DE is by far more important than DT. If Scott still has game than I would certainly go for it and have us focus on getting a real DE in here.

Mahdi
01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Former Chicago Bear DT Ian Scott was just cut by Philadelphia (see Transactions on NFL.com).

While he was injured and didn't have a very good season for the Eagles, Scott was a guy that many thought that the Bills might be interested in signing to beef up their DT rotation last year.

If healthy, is he someone that you would like to see the Bills sign as a free agent this offseason rather than have the team use one of its top 4 picks in the draft on a DT?

Things to consider: Having signed for a fairly decent amount, including bonus, last offseason, Scott might not be that expensive to sign this offseason. Glenn Dorsey will certainly go in the top 3 and Sedrick Ellis might also be gone by the time the Bills pick at # 11. Scott has experience in the system and knows P.Fewell. Signing a FA DT like Scott would allow the Bills the luxury of going after a big-time pass rusher, top CB or top-flight WR with their first pick and still allow them to address their other positions of need early in the draft. It often takes even the best DTs time to develop, so there's no guarantee that they will get a lot of immediate help if they draft a DT (unless they get Dorsey or Ellis).

What do you think?
I think that Scott was more of a fill in player in Chicago and got a lot of the credit that Harris, Tank and Boone created... Scott only has 2 sacks his entire career and had none in their superbowl year. We need a DT that can get after the QB.

mysticsoto
01-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I think that Scott was more of a fill in player in Chicago and got a lot of the credit that Harris, Tank and Boone created... Scott only has 2 sacks his entire career and had none in their superbowl year. We need a DT that can get after the QB.

That's 2 more sacks than Jason Jefferson has. :D I'm not looking to replace anyone else on the roster but Jason Jefferson with Scott. He'd be essentially backup, he understands the system which means he can fill in, in a pinch and should be able to be had relatively cheap. I still would prefer Sedrick Ellis as our main acquisition for the Dline!!!

Kerr
01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
For depth purposes, they should consider him.

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Haven't we been talking about signing this guy for a couple years now? I say don't bother with another retread. We might as well just keep what we have rather than do that. If we are going to bring in DT help it must be a major upgrade.

Tatonka
01-04-2008, 09:52 AM
i always thought he sucked.. the guy is a kyle williams with less athletic ability.

i have no interest in him at all.

we know that tripplett, mcargo and williams are not going anywhere.. that being said... i just assume grab a rookie and roll with that.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Who wants depth when our starters aren't adequate?

Two Larry Triplettes do not equal one impact starter.

Scumbag College
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
i always thought he sucked.. the guy is a kyle williams with less athletic ability.

i have no interest in him at all.

we know that tripplett, mcargo and williams are not going anywhere.. that being said... i just assume grab a rookie and roll with that.

I have to agree with you there. I rather have the Bills go out and try to sign one or two big names in the FA market and draft well than go after every castaway in the league. Scott isn't better than McCargo, Tripplett, or Williams. He might beat out Jefferson, however that's not saying much.

If the Bills could fill one or two needs (WR, TE, DL, etc.) with legit starters that are upgrades, than I would consider it a good free agency season. They have four draft picks in the first 75 or so, which I would think they would go after positions not addressed in free agency. Also, the Bills will be getting two starters back on defense, Poz and Simpson, who missed virtually all of 2007 on the IR.

So I say pass and go after one or two players in FA and keep on building this team through the draft.

The Jokeman
01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Who wants depth when our starters aren't adequate?

Two Larry Triplettes do not equal one impact starter.
Scott started 33 of the 49 games he played in Chicago so he isn't purely a depth player. Plus he played NT as opposed DT and thought as more of a run stopper then a sack artist. In signing Scott it might allow us to free up Triplett/McCargo to go after the QB more. I'd gladly sign him for a low contract and see if he can return from the knee injury that cost him his 2007 season. I'd consider him a low risk signing and go for it as don't foresee us going after big name guys like Haynesworth or Williams.

Kerr
01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Scott started 33 of the 49 games he played in Chicago so he isn't purely a depth player. Plus he played NT as opposed DT and thought as more of a run stopper then a sack artist. In signing Scott it might allow us to free up Triplett/McCargo to go after the QB more. I'd gladly sign him for a low contract and see if he can return from the knee injury that cost him his 2007 season. I'd consider him a low risk signing and go for it as don't foresee us going after big name guys like Haynesworth or Williams.

That is true. It's hard to tell if he can be a starter again after his injury, but he did anchor the bears defense well against the run with harris. Also, considering the team's unwillingness to spend a lot, they might also consider randy starks from the titans. I would also go as far as bringing Travis Laboy as a backup and pass rusher to Kelsay. Those would be two solid pickups.

Bmax
01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Sure for a decent salary.....two year low ball deal.. if that .....Good for depth....

Gives us time to develop the Rookie we should draft in rd's 2, 3 or 4 ....

Ahbyta Rubin Iowa st-6-2-330.. Draft board climber...Trevor Laws-ND and Demario Pressley NC ST..

Bmax