PDA

View Full Version : Jauron: "Significant Change"

Mahdi
01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Well Im really happy to hear this come from Jauron.... He clearly feels the same why I do as well as most of us that our Offense lacked way too much to be competitive. This is exactly what I needed to hear going into the offseason and to say it so boldly is even better. He is pretty much making a committment after the meating the FO had that there will be many new additions to our O.

This should be an exciting offseason!

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5784

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Well Im really happy to hear this come from Jauron.... He clearly feels the same why I do as well as most of us that our Offense lacked way too much to be competitive. This is exactly what I needed to hear going into the offseason and to say it so boldly is even better. He is pretty much making a committment after the meating the FO had that there will be many new additions to our O.

This should be an exciting offseason!

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5784I think the significant change he's talking about was the scheme.

STRONG_BAD
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
We are changing from a run-run-pass-punt scheme to a pass-run-run-punt scheme

mysticsoto
01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Sounds like Alex Van Pelt is not the likely choice then...Jauron seems to have people in mind already but is probably waiting for a new GM before moving forward...

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Back in March for Trent?

Com'n. He needs to hit weight room and work on his mechanics NOW.

You can talk about him being an impressive rookie and all that. But the most important thing is the improvement he makes next year. Seriously no matter where you are in your rookie year, I'm looking for the ability to improve year after year early in your career.

Romes
01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
good stuff. now lets see it put into action.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Back in March for Trent?

Com'n. He needs to hit weight room and work on his mechanics NOW.

You can talk about him being an impressive rookie and all that. But the most important thing is the improvement he makes next year. Seriously no matter where you are in your rookie year, I'm looking for the ability to improve year after year early in your career.
Trent needs to gain chemistry with Evans in the offseason especially in the deep passing game. Without it, maybe the new OC will go back to JP.

Tatonka
01-04-2008, 10:21 AM
cam cameron.

a TE on day one.

a WR on day one.

Trade for Walker

Get a real FB.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 10:27 AM
cam cameron.

a TE on day one.

a WR on day one.

Trade for Walker

Get a real FB.
Let me just add a stud DT from FA to start ahead of Kyle Williams.

The Jokeman
01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Let's not forget that our first choice for OC a few years ago was not Fairchild but Mike Sherman. That tells me that Jauron wouldn't be opposed to bringing in someone with head coaching experience. Granted think Jauron was referencing scheme as well and think someone versed in the WCO could be the way to go as think it be a good offense for both Edwards and Lynch's talents. Though would probably mean finding a WR with size in the offseason (Jerry Porter anyone?) and a TE that can catch (LJ Smith and/or Eric Johnson) have a history in the offense too so wouldn't be a bad way to go. Of course there is some belief the offense takes a few years to learn which is a negative plus finding a coach experienced in it is another need.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I hope significant is somebody outside the organization.

Kerr
01-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Let's not forget that our first choice for OC a few years ago was not Fairchild but Mike Sherman. That tells me that Jauron wouldn't be opposed to bringing in someone with head coaching experience. Granted think Jauron was referencing scheme as well and think someone versed in the WCO could be the way to go as think it be a good offense for both Edwards and Lynch's talents. Though would probably mean finding a WR with size in the offseason (Jerry Porter anyone?) and a TE that can catch (LJ Smith and/or Eric Johnson) have a history in the offense too so wouldn't be a bad way to go. Of course there is some belief the offense takes a few years to learn which is a negative plus finding a coach experienced in it is another need.

Mooch?? Also, Trent Edwards is no stranger to the wco. He ran a version of it at stanford. If anything, he is a quick learner, which is something is an important attribute as an nfl qb. I'm not really worried about Trent. He should be fine. All he needs to do is work on strength in the offseason and his chemistry with his receivers.

Wys Guy
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM

LOL

The spam, spam, bacon, and spam offense.

:D

madness
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Mooch?? Also, Trent Edwards is no stranger to the wco. He ran a version of it at stanford. If anything, he is a quick learner, which is something is an important attribute as an nfl qb. I'm not really worried about Trent. He should be fine. All he needs to do is work on strength in the offseason and his chemistry with his receivers.

I think the WCO is coming to Buffalo. Jauron falls under the Holmgren coaching tree so I can see him wanting to bring it in. Mooch and Billick are available but w/ Jauron's strong ties to Mooch it definitely could be possible.

Yasgur's Farm
01-04-2008, 11:15 AM
...maybe the new OC will go back to JP. :couch:

helmetguy
01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
LOL

The spam, spam, bacon, and spam offense.

:D
Rather akin to your writing, huh?

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Holy crap! Look who is visiting us!

Kerr
01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I think the WCO is coming to Buffalo. Jauron falls under the Holmgren coaching tree so I can see him wanting to bring it in. Mooch and Billick are available but w/ Jauron's strong ties to Mooch it definitely could be possible.

It wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean I know some fans are discouraged about the offense in particular because this team already tried to run it once when manboobs was head coach, but to bring someone with a lot of experience and success with the system such as Mooch, would it make worth the consideration.

djjimkelly
01-04-2008, 11:25 AM

lol lets hope not.

djjimkelly
01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
cam cameron.

a TE on day one.

a WR on day one.

Trade for Walker

Get a real FB.

i like it but it seems like a dream

Wys Guy
01-04-2008, 11:27 AM

OHHHHH!!!

My sides are hurting due to the laughter!!! Stop it helmetguy!

Please, no mas!!

How original.

Wys Guy
01-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Yeah, sorry to stir you guys out of your pleasant dream laden slumber.

; )

Happy New Year Lechter!!!

The Jokeman
01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd love Mooch but don't see Ralphie paying to bring him in. One name brought up in the past was Trent's former HC at Stanford Walt Harris but not sure we could land him either. In the end it could lead us to getting someone like Bill Musgrave.

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, sorry to stir you guys out of your pleasant dream laden slumber.

; )

Happy New Year Lechter!!!

Hope you and the family had a great Holiday Season!

madness
01-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I'd love Mooch but don't see Ralphie paying to bring him in. One name brought up in the past was Trent's former HC at Stanford Walt Harris but not sure we could land him either. In the end it could lead us to getting someone like Bill Musgrave.

I don't know about that. Mooch already has the money and may have the itch to get back in the game. Plus Jauron and Mooch share a common bond... getting shafted by overbearing GMs. If Jauron can convince Mooch things are different here, I don't see Ralph passing him up.

Wys Guy
01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Hope you and the family had a great Holiday Season!

Thanks! We did. A little hectic, but hey, whose isn't. LOL

You guys?

TigerJ
01-04-2008, 12:10 PM

This is not a prediction that he will do so, but I never had the feeling that Dick Jauron had the same fear Gregg Williams had of hiring assistants with more knowledge and ability than he had.

ddaryl
01-04-2008, 12:17 PM
cam cameron.

a TE on day one.

a WR on day one.

Trade for Walker

Get a real FB.

A TE or WR drafted will probably take 2-3 years to get up to NFL speed. I'd rather address one of these positions with a top FA if possible. the other can be a day 1 pick

We need to fix the DL 1st !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to do this via the draft and FA.

if we can not stop the run there really is no point in fixing the O IMO. If we cannot rush the passer with 4 guys then we're not going to be stopping anyone from passing on us either.

alohabillsfan
01-04-2008, 12:29 PM
A TE or WR drafted will probably take 2-3 years to get up to NFL speed. I'd rather address one of these positions with a top FA if possible. the other can be a day 1 pick

We need to fix the DL 1st !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to do this via the draft and FA.

if we can not stop the run there really is no point in fixing the O IMO. If we cannot rush the passer with 4 guys then we're not going to be stopping anyone from passing on us either.

If we could score a freaking TD or 2 on offense in a game, maybe the other team would have to pass instead of running it down are throats! Works for Indy! It's our offense that is broken...(not saying the defense is perfect, just saying...)

Tatonka
01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Let me just add a stud DT from FA to start ahead of Kyle Williams.

i was referring to the offense.

colin
01-04-2008, 12:46 PM
i think we should hit FA or a trade for WR stud. we need someone to make an impact right away.

we can get a TE (i like this year's crop) and an interior lineman all first 3 rounds in draft who could start day one for us as an upgrade.

i think we get the most bang for our draft buck by taking a corner in round 1 and going FA for DT and OLB. we might be able to do DT and corner in round 1 tho if we take ellis @11 and then package up picks to move up to get a CB round 1 or late round 2

Mahdi
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Thats not necessarily true at all.... there are many examples of WRs/TEs, especially recently who come in and produce right away....

Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, Lee Evans, Greg Olsen, Ben Watson, just to name a few....

Fact is anyone can bust... so whatever position we dont address in FA and address in the draft, that player can also bust.... so what the Bills are going to do is evaluate each FA WR and TE and see how much they are willing to spend on them.... if they price themselves out of our range we will address it in the draft instead.

shelby
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Am i the only one who thinks that JP won't be here next season?

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Thats not necessarily true at all.... there are many examples of WRs/TEs, especially recently who come in and produce right away....

Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, Lee Evans, Greg Olsen, Ben Watson, just to name a few....

Fact is anyone can bust... so whatever position we dont address in FA and address in the draft, that player can also bust.... so what the Bills are going to do is evaluate each FA WR and TE and see how much they are willing to spend on them.... if they price themselves out of our range we will address it in the draft instead.
While I agree with you here I also agree with DDaryl. I don't think we should be developing any wr's for the future in Dicks 3rd year. We need to win NOW! Dick has next year or he goes bye,bye and joins Fairchild in Colorado.

raphael120
01-04-2008, 12:54 PM

I think there are tons of teams out there that would give us some decent value for JP.

We have too many holes to fill in our team to keep two capable starting QBs (Using capable very loosely for JP's sake...). Trade JP, get some value, it will enable us to try and fill most of our holes.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I think there are tons of teams out there that would give us some decent value for JP.

I'd hold off on that until we've hired an OC. He may want to keep JP. It's apparent that he wasn't the problem but Fairchild. Ask The Marv.

Mahdi
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
While I agree with you here I also agree with DDaryl. I don't think we should be developing any wr's for the future in Dicks 3rd year. We need to win NOW! Dick has next year or he goes bye,bye and joins Fairchild in Colorado.
Sure but what im saying is that drafting a guy like Malcolm Kelly could end up being a better move than signing unproven players like Wilford, Johnson and Gage. None of those FAs have really established themselves yet in the NFL. Why not take a young, talented and highly touted WR instead?

Dont drink the water
01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
OHHHHH!!!

My sides are hurting due to the laughter!!! Stop it helmetguy!

Please, no mas!!

How original.

Unfortunately it is NOT a common reply which implies it is not a joke - just the writing and anyone who chooses to "publish" it.

colin
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Sure but what im saying is that drafting a guy like Malcolm Kelly could end up being a better move than signing unproven players like Wilford, Johnson and Gage. None of those FAs have really established themselves yet in the NFL. Why not take a young, talented and highly touted WR instead?

true, but we can trade for walker, chad johnson, or roy williams too.

Mahdi
01-04-2008, 01:06 PM
true, but we can trade for walker, chad johnson, or roy williams too.
That would be ideal.... I would love to have Chad Johnson.... would he love to have us???

colin
01-04-2008, 01:09 PM
dude, we get a pick for jp, flip that to cinci for chad and sign him, he'll be way happy to play for us.

then all we need is a TE in round 2, and we have chad, lee, new TE, and marshawn along with our big line (i expect a C or RG in the draft as well, 2nd or 3rd rounder) and OC. trent will have a camp and offseason to be the man too. our O would be MILES better out the gate. chad and lee will bring an end to 8 men in the box, and could go for 1300+ and 10TDs each.

raphael120
01-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd hold off on that until we've hired an OC. He may want to keep JP. It's apparent that he wasn't the problem but Fairchild. Ask The Marv.

Yeah it would have been interesting to see how much that wouldve helped JP. But at the same time our backup QB will be making more money than our starting QB. I don't see how you'd really want that with all of the other holes in our team.

Mahdi
01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
dude, we get a pick for jp, flip that to cinci for chad and sign him, he'll be way happy to play for us.

then all we need is a TE in round 2, and we have chad, lee, new TE, and marshawn along with our big line (i expect a C or RG in the draft as well, 2nd or 3rd rounder) and OC. trent will have a camp and offseason to be the man too. our O would be MILES better out the gate. chad and lee will bring an end to 8 men in the box, and could go for 1300+ and 10TDs each.
I would love that plan and its exactly what I would do to be honest...

But first... I dont think watever pick we would get if we traded JP would be enough to give Cinci for their best player.

Second... why would Chad want to come to Buffalo? He is approaching 30 and he wants to make sure he wins a SB before retirement....

IMO with Chad, a good TE and a better C our offense would be good enough to compete in the playoffs.... but unfortunately the common attitude towards Buffalo is that we are weak team that doesnt compete with the best.... which is true but I dont think anyone outside Buffalo really sees the potential that is here... and even if they do... they might not want to take the chance...

Then again if we trade for him he wont have much choice....

Night Train
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
"Significant Change " could suggest multiple coaching changes on Offense, not just OC. This team has a good frontline RB in Lynch and needs to run the ball better later in the season when weather factors heavily.. not just call better passing plays.

I'll still wait before getting my hopes up. Talk is cheap.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah it would have been interesting to see how much that wouldve helped JP. But at the same time our backup QB will be making more money than our starting QB. I don't see how you'd really want that with all of the other holes in our team.
I didn't say that the OC might want to keep him as the back up. :couch:

henrybacker
01-04-2008, 03:57 PM
The significant change could be a new head coach..

I would think with excellent pass protection which for the most part was there this year, 2nd tier receivers along with Evans would be just fine. The problem was that Bills had more 3 or 4 receivers than 2nd tier ones. 2nd tier ones could come fairly inexpensive via trade or FA.

Hopefully the bills won't trade their 2nd round pick this year like the previous years to move up a few slots. Those 2nd round picks really could have come in handy in the rebuilding process.

ddaryl
01-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Well I can see your point.

AND maybe if a highly rated stud TE or WR FALLS to us at 11 then we pull the trigger.

But I would rather have an experienced TE or WR. Of course I don't want us signing some teams #2 WR thinking that is what is needed. We need a top FA at the TE or WR position, otherwise don't bother IMO.

I still think the DL is the priority. We addressed the OL with big money last year, this uyear its the DL's turn, and it needs it.

helmetguy
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM

I had a few spare moments at lunch. How goes it, Doc?

The Jokeman
01-04-2008, 04:28 PM
If you heard Jauron on his under the helmet segment on 97 Rock when asked about benching JP it sounds like his plan is to keep Trent starting. So not sure the new OC would have a say and/or Jauron would find an OC that want to start Edwards.

I think JP is as good as gone.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2008, 04:33 PM

No, but I've held that hope for 3 offseasons now.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
If you heard Jauron on his under the helmet segment on 97 Rock when asked about benching JP it sounds like his plan is to keep Trent starting. So not sure the new OC would have a say and/or Jauron would find an OC that want to start Edwards.

I think JP is as good as gone.
I think so too, but Dick has been back and forth about the qb situation based on his actions. First he said he likes JP and the he will be a really good qb. Then The O struggles and JP gets injured . Along comes Trent and his ability to get rid of the ball hid Fairchilds cluelessness. All of a sudden we were running the same offense Holcomb ran

. Then he says a lot of good stuff about Trent and still thinks JP will be a good qb in this league. Trent goes down and JP comes back in. Dick says that he answered before as too who he thought was the future of this team (Trent) . JP plays well against the bengals and then when Trent was already healthy he still started JP against the Pats and Jags. The offense struggles and then he puts Trent back in.

If there was one time Dick wasn't straight forward with his words, it was the qb situation.

IF Dick is high on an OC and the OC says that the problem with JPs struggles was Farichilds inability to device a plan to make him succeed, then who knows what Dicks thought will be.

Remember, Dick is totally dependent on the OC and if he thinks highly of the next OC and trusts him, he will go with what he advices.

If we go with an OC that goes deep I can see a qb competition all over again at camp. JP can throw deep with the best in this league.If we go with the WCO, JP is gone.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
JP might succeed in a system that doesn't make him throw the ball. Or read defenses. Or face pressure.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Some people know better than MArv I guess. "JP was very unjustly criticized"

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5781

Philagape
01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Or Fairchild

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
results are in worse in franchise history. He needs to be blasted more.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
He had lots of help

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
He didn't need help. He sucked all on his own and made everyone around him suck.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
He didn't need help. He sucked all on his own.

Agreed, but he got it anyway. He didn't play the games all on his own.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Agreed, but he got it anyway. He didn't play the games all on his own.
Agreed. Everyone sucked including Trent and Evans. Thats what happens when you put players in a situation to suck. Not a single player on O was spared.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
There are several reasons why a player can suck. One is bad coaching. One is getting little help from teammates. One is actually sucking. Or it can be a combination. And there are more. And the reasons can be different on different plays. It takes more than blanket statements to determine which players fall into which category.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 06:35 PM
There are several reasons why a player can suck. One is bad coaching. One is getting little help from teammates. One is actually sucking. Or it can be a combination. And there are more. It takes more than blanket statements to determine which players fall into which category.
In this case everyone was a victim of his stupidity. Everyone. Even Aiken.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
To an extent.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 06:45 PM
worse in franchise history says it all. Didn't matter who the qb was. We sucked.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 06:56 PM
In a sports that involves 11 players on one side, 11 players on the other, all with different skill sets and levels, with 50 to 70 plays a game for each team, using playbooks with many formations and many more plays, and all of that and more creating exponential variables and outcomes, no one thing ever "says it all."

It didn't matter who the QB was also because they both played like rookies and had the same crap receiving corps. No one thing.

justasportsfan
01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
In a sports that involves 11 players on one side, 11 players on the other, all with different skill sets and levels, with 50 to 70 plays a game for each team, using playbooks with many formations and many more plays, and all of that and more creating exponential variables and outcomes, no one thing ever "says it all."

It didn't matter who the QB was also because they both played like rookies and had the same crap receiving corps. No one thing.

In this case it was one thing. The OC. Ask the recievers.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
In this case it was one thing. The OC. Ask the recievers.

So no one else did anything wrong on the offense? The QBs' passes were perfect? They always made great decisions? They always did the right thing? Passes were never dropped? Never a wrong route or miscommunication? Never a physical disadvantage against a defender? Never a lack of push up front? We would have lit up the league if not for the OC?

Good God, man, learn how to watch this sport!

And what players say to the media is irrelevant. You'll rarely hear the full truth from them. And I'll bet anything they don't believe what you do.