X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

JP Vs TE

FIRST: I want to make it clear I like TE. I think he can be good. My point is, JP is currently better and TE has done nothing to take his job.

I like to incorporate playing time into some statistical comparisons. For example, you can’t really compare season passing yards for a guy that played one game to a guy that played 16. All you can really do is take the average of the guy with 16 games.

For this reason I will be using the fact JP played approximately 25.58 quarter and TE played approximately 38.42 quarters in many of the stats that follow. It give a more accurate per-game comparison because they split some games.

Many of these aren’t points, just counter points. What I mean is, in some cases the statistical difference isn’t very large. And, probably isn’t worth mentioning. The reason they are mentioned, is because I have heard JP haters use similar concocted “material” against him.

If you want clarification on how something was calculated just ask.

JP didn’t have a good year, but he was clearly the better QB.

JP’s passer rating on year = 76.9
    Trent’s passer rating on the year = 70.4

And, I think the two biggest stats are yards per attempt, and competition %. I feel this way, because this is what helps you move the chains.
    JP’s = 63.4% , and 6.9 yards per attempt.
    TE’ = 56.1%, and 6.1 yards per attempt.
    SO much for the “TE is more accurate argument”.

I’ll add another significant stat that keeps D’s honest and moves the chains….
    JP rushing yards per game (110 total) = 17.2, and 5.5 per attempt.
    TE Rushing yards per game (49 total) = 5.1, and 3.5 per attempt.

JP played better teams

Broken down into quarters, TE’s average opponent had 8.06 wins on the year. JP’s opponents had 8.53 wins on the year. So don’t try this one.

The Bills offense scores more with JP.

Trent (125 pts)= 3.25 per quarter, or 13.0 per game
    JP (90 pts) = 3.52 per quarter, or 14.1

Before you say, “what is one point”, I’ll give my answer. Answer: the margin of victory for the Cowboys on Monday night. Besides, I’m not really trying to make a point here. Really just a counter point on the things I have heard.

Lynch’s rushing production with both Qbs:

With JP at QB Lynch’s YPC = 4.3
    With TE at QB Lynch’s YPC = 3.8

That is .5 yards. In a game of inches, that in 18 inches for every carry. I speculate that JP’s arm strength and his down field passing threat has a lot to do with this.

JP Played himself out of a job vs. Jacksonville?

JP’s passer rating on year = 76.9
    JP’s passer rating in Jags game that got him benched = 67.81
    Trent’s passer rating on the year = 70.4
    Trent’s passer rating on the year minus his best game = 64.83

So, if you take out Trent’s one good game verse the worst team in the league, his passer rating in 2.98 points lower then the game that got JP benched. And, if you count it, his passer rating is only 2.59 points higher then the game that got JP benched but still 6.5 points lower then JP’s on the year not taking out any bad games. Complicated?

I‘ll say it another way. Trent’s combined 34.42 quarters (his year minus the one game) QB rating is worst then the 4 quarters that got JP benched. Plus I will add that A-train got the start in Jacksonville. I think that is worth three points right there.

Win and Losses are all that matters.

Before you say “wins and losses mean everything“, all I can say is let me know when Trent starts returning punts. Or starts on defense. Wins is a team stat. Not a QB stat.

But, while we are on the subject, be objective. Trent played the first game against the Pats. And JP won the game against the Jets. You can’t use the argument “JP got the reps all week for the Pats”, then turn around and say “the Jets game planned for TE all week”. Because the opposite could be said in both cases.

That puts JP at 3-4, and TE at 4-5. What do you think JP’s record projects out to if he were to have started two more games? The same as TE. Again, not that it matters because I don’t think QB was the main problem.

So, how about money time?

Trent 4th quarter QB rating = 34.2
    JP 4th quarter QB rating = 86.1

Shocking?

Arm Strength?

Isn’t this a significant trait to have for quarter backing in Buffalo at the Ralph? With the winds? JP’s football fast ball was clocked higher than TE's at the combine, but did you really need to know that? I think it is obvious JP has more zip.

TE completed a long ball to Lee against the Ravens. The ball started at the Buffalo 29 yard line. It hit Lee at the 34. The ball flew 37 yards in the air from the line of scrimmage. That was his second longest completed throw, and it was a little wobbly and short. His longest was against the ‘Fins. It flew 42 yards from the line of scrimmage. JP has accomplished greater feats several times. Most notably his 45 yards from the line of scrimmage against the Texans in ’06, while being hit by three Texans as he threw. Or the 42 yards from the LOS to Lee against the Jets this year, into 28 MPH winds. These are off the top of my head.

TE is better at moving the chains?

How is that even possible? JP completes a higher % of passes, and he gets more yards per attempt. Also Lynch runs for more yards per carry when JP hands him the ball.

JP’s third down QB rating = 71.8
    TE’s third down QB rating = 56.1

And, we all know who is more likely to run for a first down. JP.

Game Plans and coaching favored TE, but now we are getting a new OC.

The game plans were called to Trent’s strengths when he was starting. And, the game plans were called to Trent’s strengths when JP was starting.

We hired Mike Martz’s assistant. We had speed at wide out. We drafted a receiving RB. We got rid of the smash mouth FB. We added an H-back, which is basically a FB that never carries the ball. We had a strong armed mobile QB.

Then we decided to dink and dunk with the rookie QB? It makes zero sense.

Trent is younger, so he should start?

Why? He is only two years younger. What ever happened to experience being a good thing?

Wouldn’t the argument that TE is younger be in favor of JP? We have had him for a while. We have endured learning curve. And, when he is about to start fulfilling potential you want to get rid of him? Or start him on a BS game by game basis? I’m not saying TE has reached his potential, that would be dumb. But with a QB with as much drive, grit, integrity, desire, fire, passion, respect, work ethic, determination, confidence, and physical tools as Losman has, you can’t dump him now for a complete unproven.

If you think Trent will be better some day, fine. Just wait until he is before you start him. Especially while we are trying to make a playoff run.

But TE is Poised

Poise? That’s your argument? “He looks poised”? Who cares how he looks? Looking poised = nothing.

Closing argument

TE's numbers aren't bad for a young rookie. But, he didn't come close to lighten things up. He didn't do anything to take the job from the team captain we have been putting though countless hardships, twisted a tweaked since he was drafted. Especially not when JP's body of work has consistently improved since breaking his leg as a rookie.

He has had less then two years worth of playing time (under 128 quarters played). Why would any bills fan want to toss him right when we are about to see the fruits of our labor? All that money you spent on tickets? Gone. It is the most important positions of the team. Why would you want to start over. We've been rebuilding for a decade, I thought we were building now.

JP has continuously said, "We can win with the guys we have here right now". Continuity breeds consistency. The only thing consistent about JP’s career so far is there has been no continuity.

I’d like to add that although all these stats are in JP’s favor, Trent has had the privilege/benefit of working with a more gelled line, and players more familiar with what is going on this year. 8.33 quarters for JP followed by 18.42 quarters TE. Then 17.25 quarters JP, followed by 20 quarters TE.

Bottomline: The offense produced no better with TE. I think JP was benched so Fairchild and Co. could have a scapegoat. At the time, it looked like the Bills where in no way a playoff team. So maybe JP's contract escalators played in also.

I had in mind to put up more stats. After all, the off season isn't going away any time soon. It is getting late, but I could have taken months to do this.

Basically I can put up a gazillion stats/number and have put up many. Your a Bills fan (well except for one closet Bills fan who thinks he likes the Dolphins, LOL), I'm a Bills fan. I don’t think I changed anyone’s mind, but I feel better. If you got this far, thanks for listening.

Feel free to respond. I’m not advocating you criticize, but if you do so adult like, I can take it. If you agree, all the better.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: JP Vs TE

Great post that really delves into the depths of the season and the QB situation.

My biggest arguement with JP is that he was in his 4th NFL season, he regressed from the previous year, and really did nothing to seperate himself from a 3rd round drafted rookie. From a coaching perspective: You can either evolve your rookie "prodigy" and allow him to make mistakes now with a little OJT, and hope that he gets better sooner than later, or continue to let your veteran QB make the same mistakes he's made for 3 consecutive years.

With that being said, I agree with what you're saying that clearly the team was equally inept when either QB was under center.

I guess, honestly, it really doesn't matter to me either way. I don't see anything special from TE or JP. Neither one of them does anything for me.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

JP vs. TE?

TE won.
      JP lost.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

great analysis thanks for the effort

i agree that the biggest monkey wrench in this whole thing is jps regression. i was solidly in his corner and strongly believe the coaches did the right thing by giving him another shot even when edwards was ready to play following his hand injury. however jps poor play for 3.5 quarters against miami and his crap performance in jax (played like a rookie when they desperately needed a veteran) pretty much convinced me his regression was chronic and a gamble had to be taken on an impressive so far but inexperienced edwards to try to save the season

of course we now know and see in hindsight that edwards also regressed from his early form to actually underperform from where jp ended up. and its quite obvious now that edwards has to overcome what looks like a serious handicap in bad weather play. but that was impossible to predict and installing him as the starter after jp failed in jax was the right move at the time

now the huge question is how much was jps own regression and how much was a flawed offensive system that was continuing to break down? the fact that both qbs regressed under the system is one clue. as is the fact that edwards did reasonably well at first until opposing dcs got some film on him then he began to regress badly. but the fact that jp had been steadily progressing last year under the same system and yet still was not able to do significantly better than edwards is troubling

one thing i will never understand is why in the hell didnt the coaches just take a shot at letting jp play his game. let him roll out and make plays on the move, leverage his excellent passing on the run and adlib skills, and use his legs to get some yardage. jp improved considerably in his pocket passing but thats never been his forte and they refused to try to take advantage of what he does well. maddening

sadly we probably will never know what would have happened with that here in buffalo. despite obvious flaws in edwards game they are virtually assured to go with him to start next season. even if jp sticks next year it would take both an edwards injury/collapse and an extended jp resurgence to bring him back into the long term picture. it could happen but its a long shot

i like jp, dont understand all the hate for him, and wish him well. but as a football fan i sure hope he doesnt go someplace else where they give him the chance to play his style of football and he succeeds. that would really suck some serious ass
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Trent looks like he has it, JP after 4 years doesn't. Time to move on.

Maybe you can follow JP to his new team.

Comment

• Crisis
            • Aug 2004

You should compare Losman's first 38.42 quarters to Trent's.

You're comparing a rookie to a 4th year vet.
            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
            Vanek is Austrian not European
            Originally posted by Prov401
            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
            Originally posted by better days
            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

FIRST: I want to make it clear, I saw the horse move !
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

TE - 10 games, 8 INT's, (.8 per game) - 4 fumbles, 0 lost, total = 8 and .8 per game. Sacks = 12, 1.2 per game. 269 attempts, 20 negative plays, 1 every 13.45 attempts.

JP - 8 games, 6 ints (.75 per game) - 5 fumbles, 2 lost, total = 8 and 1.0 per game. Sacks = 14, 1.2 per game. 175 attempts, 22 negative plays, 1 every 7.95 attempts.

JP career - 37 games, 29 INT's ( 1.3 per game) - 26 fumbles, 13 lost total = 1.1 per game. Sacks = 88, 2.4 per game. 837 attempts, 130 negative plays, 1 every 6.43 attempts.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• shelby
                  The Vanilla admin
                  • Jul 2002

JP wants out, so the point is moot, but i appreciate the effort you put into this post.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Trent's numbers were hurt by his late-season slump, so statistically, JP had the better overall season.

But it's not about comparing their numbers this season. They both were bad. Saying A's numbers sucked less than B is no way to pick a quarterback. Sucking less is still sucking. When both suck, the question is, which one is more likely to get better? Both played like rookies, but only of them was a rookie. When a rookie is even comparable to a veteran, that doesn't speak well of the veteran.

It's about looking at where they are in their careers and evaluating their upside based on their attributes. Trent is smarter and more versatile, therefore he is more likely to improve. JP showed no improvement from last year, even though he was in the same system with a better line. His weaknesses are the kind you see in career busts, of which there have been many. It's been proven time and time again that a QB's mental skills are more important than physical skills; the mind can learn, but the body is already at its peak. Trent has both.
                    JP had enough of a chance, and he failed. He played himself out of his job with bad passes and bad decisions.

"Continuity breeds consistency." I don't want consistency of JP. He's consistently inconsistent. He consistently mixes in bad passes and bad decisions with a few great plays. JP said we can win with the current guys? No, we can't, because they're good enough, including JP.
                    The multitude of excuses that have been put up for JP shows he's a high-maintenance QB. So much else has to go right. He needs the right coordinator, the right receivers, the right line, etc. etc. etc. The QB's supposed to be a leader, not a follower. A good QB makes others around him better; if it's up to everyone else to make the QB play well, then the QB is worthless.
                    Better conditions and circumstances will improve a QB's numbers, but it won't IMPROVE THE QB. A QB is who he is no matter what else is around him.

And once again, there's the myth that Trent is "dink and dunk." JP dinked and dunked as much as Trent, both about 73 percent of the time. In the middle of the season, JP's D&D ratio was several percentage points higher. If JP's advantage is his long passing, there was no such advantage this year. As was pointed out above, Trent threw the ball as far as JP did, and while both of JP's completed bombs were underthrown, Trent's bomb against Miami was right on the money, in stride. And in medium-range passing, Trent blew away JP. He is more versatile. He had the two best passes of the season, the Miami bomb and the 30-yard clutch strike to set up the Redskins win. During the Miami game someone pointed out the variety of Trent's four TDs: bomb, rollout, over-the-middle dart, and fade. He can make every throw.
                    The edge that JP has physically is more than offset by the edge that Trent has mentally. People say we need JP's arm for the winter, but it's foolish to sacrifice the more important aspects of quarterbacking for most of the season. We had a cannon-armed QB in Bledsoe, and he failed too.
                    The inconsistency Trent showed is normal for a rookie and can improve with experience, which JP already had. Will it? I don't know. But I'll take the unknown over a proven failure. I'll take the total package over a few select attributes.
                    Last edited by Philagape; 01-05-2008, 08:53 AM.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• shelby
                      The Vanilla admin
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                      He's consistently inconsistent.
                      Best summary of JP i've ever read. That is the heart of the matter right there, y'all.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

All the statistics in the world won't change the fact that my eye's saw one QB who was frantic and uncomfortable in the pocket and had a hard time executing a simple screen, where the other was willing to look down the pass rush attempting to make passes.

The funny part is if you ask every O-lineman who they would prefer as QB Trent would win hands down. When JP scored a TD he was looking around for players, when Trent scored a TD the whole o-line was bumping and patting him.

Rewatch the games. Different team with Trent on the field and I don't need stats to recognize that.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Yes he wants out. But I think the point is... The way this situation has been handled has actually devalued the Bills talent assets... Devalued JP's worth... Both on the roster AND in a trade scenario.

Nice job yordad. Of course you've been around long enough to know that "stats don't mean jack" when it comes to an opposing opinion.

I say hold JP to his final season... See what happens during training camp... See if he's needed to fill in... See what his trade value is at the deadline in '08. See If, by some miracle, he gets another chance to shine (with a competent OC), his value might even increase to a tag... or tag and trade.

Here comes the neggy brigade.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                            FIRST: I want to make it clear, I saw the horse move !

Nice!

Comment

• Novacane
                              • Jul 2002

JP may be worth a franchise tag next year??? Give it up. Your dream is dead Draz.

Comment

Working...
                              X