PDA

View Full Version : 'Poz' eager for 2008

shelby
01-05-2008, 07:44 AM
One of the most disappointing things in the Bills' eighth straight non-playoff season was the lost opportunity for rookie Paul Posluszny to learn in the heat of the battle.
Buffalo's second-round draft choice, No. 34 overall out of Penn State, won the middle linebacker job in training camp, started the first three games and seemed to be adapting quite nicely to the pro game.
And then in the second quarter of that third game in New England, he suffered a broken left forearm. Because the Bills were so injury-depleted and needed some able bodies, coach Dick Jauron decided he couldn't afford to keep Posluszny on the active roster, so he was forced to place him on the season-ending injured reserve list.
Just like that, Posluszny — who could have played at least the last month of the year — was done after less than 2½ games, during which he was in on 25 tackles.
"It was miserable," Posluszny said of his three months of inactivity. "It was one of the worst years of my life by far. I had gotten hurt in college, but I never missed time. Maybe I couldn't finish a game, but I never missed a season like this.
"To start a couple of games and get a taste of it, and then not to be able to play anymore. ... You have a job that you love and someone tells you that you can't do it until next year, that's tough.''
He didn't get a chance to prove it, but Posluszny is considered a player with a bright future. The 6-foot-1, 238-pounder is the kind of middle linebacker the Bills can build their defense around, similar to the way Zach Thomas — who, like Poz, isn't the biggest or the fastest guy — once anchored Miami's defense.
John DiGiorgio did an admirable job filling in, but he's just not the same player Posluszny is, and the rookie could have helped the Bills be a little more stout against the run. While it would have been beneficial for Posluszny to have gotten the requisite rookie mistakes out of the way this year, it was not a wasted fall.

full story (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080105/SPORTS03/801050308/1007/SPORTS)

Night Train
01-05-2008, 07:50 AM
I was upset the Bills placed him on IR but it's all water under the bridge now. Looking forward to him returning in 2008.

venis2k1
01-05-2008, 08:16 AM
He will be a big piece in turning this team into a winner.

shelby
01-05-2008, 08:18 AM
i liked reading this:

For each game, Posluszny was in the middle of everything except the on-field action. Assistant coach DeMontie Cross gets the call from coordinator Perry Fewell in the press box, then relays the signals out to the defensive quarterback, who was DiGiorgio after Posluszny was injured. During that process, Posluszny stood right next to Cross, soaking it all in. And when the defense came off the field, he was in every sideline huddle when reviews and alterations were being made.

madness
01-05-2008, 10:19 AM
i liked reading this:

Me too. His desire to excel is sickening. I think he'll come out playing like a 3rd-4th year player next year.

Historian
01-05-2008, 10:22 AM
He should be well rested...

Goobylal
01-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Chris Brown refuted the notion that Poz could have played at all this year because his arm was severely injured. Knowing that, I'm fine now with them IR'ing him.

blackonyx89
01-05-2008, 11:30 AM
(In a frightened Japanese accent). "Look over the horizon,it's Pozilla!!!! RUNNNNNNN!!!

DMBcrew36
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Everything you read about Poz makes you love the guy even more. So much is said of Marv wanting to draft character and how important character is. This kid is exactly the type of player Marv is talking about.

Night Train
01-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Everything you read about Poz makes you love the guy even more. So much is said of Marv wanting to draft character and how important character is. This kid is exactly the type of player Marv is talking about.

Great avatar.

YardRat
01-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Can't wait to see him suit up again myself...I really hope he makes great strides with the mental part of the game this off-season.

im4bflo
01-05-2008, 05:43 PM
He'll be physically and mentally ready, without real game experience.
But that will come quick enough, he's got a taste, and he'll really excell next year!
We had to wait an extra year, but the POZ is back :xtreme: can't wait any longer!
I'm still representing home and away jerseys, GO #51 !!!