PDA

View Full Version : Ahl Affiliate In Buffalo?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
With the affiliation with the Amerks soon coming to an end, what do you all think of the prospects of an AHL team in Buffalo? With Sabres tickets difficult to get, an AHL team in Buffalo would be another hockey outlet, and with an affiliation with the Sabres in the same town would keep everyone interested. Philadephia and Toronto have thier AHL team in the same cities, and I know at least Philadelphia's draws very well. Not certain about Toronto's.

There is a currenlty an AHL franchise which is dormant, but I hear it may be going to Oklahoma City next year, to house Anaheim's prospects.

There's places that they could play games like at the Amherst Pepsi Center the Pepsi Center has a practice rink 2 NHL sized rinks one with a 4 sided scoreboard and seats 1400 people
http://www.amherstpepsicenter.com/images/diagram.jpg

Can 2 teams draw well and survive in Buffalo? would it work? Your thoughts.....

Ebenezer
01-05-2008, 11:20 PM
it would not work....the Bisons are proof that this city will not support a minor league team long term...

and if the Sabres don't get some more talent in here they will be an AHL franchise.

hydro
01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Comparing Minor League Baseball and AHL Hockey is like comparing apples to oranges. This is far more of a hockey/football city that could really care less about baseball.

Michael82
01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
it would not work....the Bisons are proof that this city will not support a minor league team long term...

and if the Sabres don't get some more talent in here they will be an AHL franchise.
Exactly! There's no way it will work and LOSman WINS, you are crazy if you think that a 1400 seat arena will please the AHL. No chance. I know many people don't believe it, but I still think that Golisano will end up buying the Amerks and will run both teams. I think that the Arena lease will force that idiot, Donner to sell.

CuseJetsFan83
01-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Exactly! There's no way it will work and LOSman WINS, you are crazy if you think that a 1400 seat arena will please the AHL. No chance. I know many people don't believe it, but I still think that Golisano will end up buying the Amerks and will run both teams. I think that the Arena lease will force that idiot, Donner to sell.

florida is ponying up with roch-cha-cha so i dont see that result happening, but 1400 seat arena???

i still think buffalo will shop around for an affiliate first.... and then make decisions from there

CuseJetsFan83
01-06-2008, 08:19 AM
With the affiliation with the Amerks soon coming to an end, what do you all think of the prospects of an AHL team in Buffalo? With Sabres tickets difficult to get, an AHL team in Buffalo would be another hockey outlet, and with an affiliation with the Sabres in the same town would keep everyone interested. Philadephia and Toronto have thier AHL team in the same cities, and I know at least Philadelphia's draws very well. Not certain about Toronto's.

There is a currenlty an AHL franchise which is dormant, but I hear it may be going to Oklahoma City next year, to house Anaheim's prospects.

There's places that they could play games like at the Amherst Pepsi Center the Pepsi Center has a practice rink 2 NHL sized rinks one with a 4 sided scoreboard and seats 1400 people

source on OKC, please?...........
hockey would never work in oklahoma, and not to mention, the ducks are happy in portland, albeit the oddest connection.... they reupped a few years ago long term, plus the dormant AHL franchises are in cincinnatti, edmonton.

YardRat
01-06-2008, 08:19 AM
No way. Putting an AHL team in Buffalo would take hockey dollars out of the Sabres and the NHL's pocket, and that's not good for either.

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2008, 10:23 AM

Doesnt 1400 seats seem a bit small?

Dude
01-06-2008, 01:44 PM
We've been through this before ... http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=141328&highlight=pepsi+center

User Manuel
01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Pepsi center is too small. Most OHL junior teams are between 6,000 and 13,000.

I think it is actaully a very good idea. If they play it right there could be a lot of benefits. First of all the arena could be used 50 more times a year than it is now. There could be a ton of cross advertising and with sabres tix hard to get and too expensive for some it would be a nice alternative. I am not sure how it would go long term, but it seems a sensible short term fix to a current problem.

SpillerThrills
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I follow the DIII Plattsburgh State Mens Hockey team rather religiously, and they draw more than 1,400 just about every night there is a game. and when it's a big game against a rival they've been known to sell out which is only around 3,500.... there is no way a 1,400 seat arena works for an AHL team....

Dude
01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
They could play at the Bass Pro Shop. :up:

RockStar36
01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
1400 would never work. Our Erie OHL team has about 5500-6000.