PDA

View Full Version : DJ Hackett

Kerr
01-05-2008, 11:43 PM
He's got me sold. Came up pretty big vs the redskins. When the guy is healthy he's a playmaker. The fact that he's played in seattle, which isn't known for convinient weather either, makes him a decent fit for buffalo. He's over six feet and uses his body to shield corners from the ball. He might just be the guy Evans needs by his side.

Discuss.

The Jokeman
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
He's got me sold. Came up pretty big vs the redskins. When the guy is healthy he's a playmaker. The fact that he's played in seattle, which isn't known for convinient weather either, makes him a decent fit for buffalo. He's over six feet and uses his body to shield corners from the ball. He might just be the guy Evans needs by his side.

Discuss.
When being the important word. He's yet to play an entire NFL season. He's on my short list but rather pursue guys like Porter, Johnson and Gage who've been a little bit healthier in their careers. Though he definitely looks the part when he's playing.

Kerr
01-06-2008, 12:35 AM
When being the important word. He's yet to play an entire NFL season. He's on my short list but rather pursue guys like Porter, Johnson and Gage who've been a little bit healthier in their careers. Though he definitely looks the part when he's playing.

True. Injuries seem to persue him. Gage would probably be the most affordable.
All I know is that they need someone 6'2" and over.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-06-2008, 01:19 AM
I like Hackett, although his injury history is a big worrisome. Still, I'd take a chance on him, if I could convince him to come to Buffalo.

I am not at all sold on B.Johnson or Gage (or any of the other big FA WRs). Yes, they have size, but what have they done with the opportunities that they have had to show that they can perform any better than the WRs that the Bills already have? B.Johnson has had plenty of opportunities to show that he deserved to be a 1st Round draft pick when A.Boldin has been hurt and with, arguably better QBs running a more open Arizona offense, he really hasn't done that much--although he has gotten into the end zone more often than J.Reed. But, is he really a legitimate threat that opposing defenses will have to account for? Is he someone that will make opposing DCs pay if they put 8 men in the box and double Lee Evans? I'm really not sure that B.Johnson is. And, I know that Gage isn't! Even with K.Orton, B.Griese and R.Grossman throwing to him, he had his opportunity to show that he could be a factor in the offense in Chicago and didn't really do any better than J.Reed, despite his size. Sorry, no thanks.

While I would take a chance on Hackett, if the Bills can't sign him (and I think there will be plenty of competition for his services), I would rather take my chances in the draft. There are some big WRs with speed in this draft who could turn out to be real weapons--or at least bigger versions of J.Reed--and I would rather see if one of them could turn out to be a guy who can be good enough to open things up for Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch.

Night Train
01-06-2008, 05:36 AM
The injury loving Hackett had the big game yesterday but I like the Jags Ernest Wilford. (caught 2 for 39 yards yesterday).

6-4 223 and has usually been the Jags #2 or #3 option. Yet I've never fogotten him outjumping Nate Clements in the opener a couple years back to win the game with zero on the clock. Big and very physical. 41-36-45 catches over the last 3 years and could catch 4-5 a game for the Bills, opening thing up more for Evans deep and Reed and a good TE up the middle.

It takes 2-3 years to develop a WR and drafting one in Round 1 wouldn't be $$ well spent, with so many other holes (as in Run Defense) on this team. On the flip side, the Draft is where you DO find a talented TE and this drafted is loaded with them. They can make an immediate impact.

Get Wilford or a tall WR like him. Don't waste the #11 pick on a #2 WR.

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Between Hackett and Wilford I'd take Wilford. He's taller, not injury prone, and probably cheaper. Last thing I want is pay some big FA to come here to sit on the injury list all year long.

The Jokeman
01-06-2008, 09:16 AM
All the names you all mentioned are behind my personal favorite. That being Jerry Porter of the Raiders. While he's older then all those mentioned he has proven he can be a #1 and/or #2 whereas most of the other guys have been #3s up to this point in their careers. Of course his contract has to be avoided to make him available so there's no guaranteeing he would be. At the same time I would also draft a WR with size on day 1 of the draft that might be able to compete with Justin Jenkins for the role of STer and possibly replace Evans and/or UFA signee in a few years. As think you build your depth in the draft and fill holes in free agency.

BuffaloBlakely14
01-06-2008, 09:25 AM
The injury loving Hackett had the big game yesterday but I like the Jags Ernest Wilford. (caught 2 for 39 yards yesterday).

6-4 223 and has usually been the Jags #2 or #3 option. Yet I've never fogotten him outjumping Nate Clements in the opener a couple years back to win the game with zero on the clock. Big and very physical. 41-36-45 catches over the last 3 years and could catch 4-5 a game for the Bills, opening thing up more for Evans deep and Reed and a good TE up the middle.

It takes 2-3 years to develop a WR and drafting one in Round 1 wouldn't be $$ well spent, with so many other holes (as in Run Defense) on this team. On the flip side, the Draft is where you DO find a talented TE and this drafted is loaded with them. They can make an immediate impact.

Get Wilford or a tall WR like him. Don't waste the #11 pick on a #2 WR.

I really think that we need to make Ernest and offseason priorirty. Signing him would give us a proven NFL #2 who borders on a #1 in some games. He is developed experienced and most importantly HUGE. He could flourish opposite Lee Evans and would provide a great RED Zone target for Trent or whoever the QB is. It would also free up the front office to go for a defensive playmaker in round 1. I dont even care at what position, line, linebacker, secondary, just someone who is going to be a defensive gamechanger. I think we are in perfect position to get someone like that.

Kerr
01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Agreed. Good points....I'd be happy with either hackett or wilford.

patmoran2006
01-06-2008, 11:29 AM
i prefer Hackett. He is a monster in the making.

We NEED a WR like him.

raphael120
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Never going to happen.

bigbub2352
01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I like Johnson or Porter or Wilford as my choices, then draft a Wr in round 1 or 2 and TE the opposite of that pick either 1 or 2 i like Martelluc Bennett in the 2nd rd and Sweed or Hardy in the first

Goobylal
01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Hackett's injury history is enough to say "stay away!"

Bert102176
01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I would see what the Jags would want for Matt Jones

madness
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
True. Injuries seem to persue him. Gage would probably be the most affordable.
All I know is that they need someone 6'2" and over.

Are the Titans really going to let Gage walk?

madness
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Hackett's injury history is enough to say "stay away!"

Are you implying DJ can't Hackett?

The Jokeman
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I would see what the Jags would want for Matt Jones
Matt Jones hasn't shown to be anything more then a 3rd WR thus car in his career. Not to mention he's not been able to play 1 full season since his rookie season. If there was one Jags WR I wouldn't want it be Jones.