PDA

View Full Version : Josh Reed

Kerr
01-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I like reed, he's a hard worker and one of the best blocking wr's around, but he's been kind of a tough one to figure out. Sometimes he makes good plays, other times he doesn't Do you feel comfortable with him taking over as #2 if one of the starting receivers went down with an injury? Do you feel if there's an upgrade out there, he should be replaced?

Discuss.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-06-2008, 01:06 AM
IMHO Josh Reed has value as a situational receiver, but does not have the speed to get enough separation for force opposing defenses to respect him, let alone to pull coverage away from Lee Evans at times. I believe that the lack of a legitimate threat at the # 2 WR position has really hurt the Bills offense because opposing DCs can put 8 men in the box to stop the running game and double Evans without being concerned that they will have to pay to do so.

As a result, I think that getting a big, fast WR who opposing defenses have to respect not just in the red zone, but all over the field has to be a top priority for the Bills this offseason.

With P.Crayton being re-signed by Dallas, DJ Hackett is the only potential FA WR that I think might be able to fill this need. I know that some have touted B.Johnson from Arizona as a possible FA pick up, but IMHO he has not shown nearly enough of what I think the Bills need to be looking for in the many opportunities that he has had with the Cardinals when A.Boldin was out with injuries and he had a chance to step up.

IMHO, the Bills would be better off trying to fill this need in this year's draft, even if they had to "reach" at # 11 to get the right player: be it M.Kelly of Oklahoma, L.Sweed of Texas, or even M.Manningham of Michigan (although I think Manningham might be available when they pick in Round 2). With Josh Reed, DJ Hackett, B.Johnson and the other big FA WRs, what you see is pretty much what you are going to get from them. With drafting one of the available WRs, even though you might not get that much out of him as a rookie, if you pick the right one, you could have a real weapon for your offense for years to come. And, I'd rather take a chance on getting a guy who can be a real threat and a playmaker for the team than on someone that I know is going to be OK-to-good, but is unlikely to ever approach being a player that opposing defenses have to fear.

But, of course, that's just my opinion and others may very well differ.

Luisito23
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
^^ Agreed....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

Kerr
01-06-2008, 10:50 AM
IMHO Josh Reed has value as a situational receiver, but does not have the speed to get enough separation for force opposing defenses to respect him, let alone to pull coverage away from Lee Evans at times. I believe that the lack of a legitimate threat at the # 2 WR position has really hurt the Bills offense because opposing DCs can put 8 men in the box to stop the running game and double Evans without being concerned that they will have to pay to do so.

As a result, I think that getting a big, fast WR who opposing defenses have to respect not just in the red zone, but all over the field has to be a top priority for the Bills this offseason.

With P.Crayton being re-signed by Dallas, DJ Hackett is the only potential FA WR that I think might be able to fill this need. I know that some have touted B.Johnson from Arizona as a possible FA pick up, but IMHO he has not shown nearly enough of what I think the Bills need to be looking for in the many opportunities that he has had with the Cardinals when A.Boldin was out with injuries and he had a chance to step up.

IMHO, the Bills would be better off trying to fill this need in this year's draft, even if they had to "reach" at # 11 to get the right player: be it M.Kelly of Oklahoma, L.Sweed of Texas, or even M.Manningham of Michigan (although I think Manningham might be available when they pick in Round 2). With Josh Reed, DJ Hackett, B.Johnson and the other big FA WRs, what you see is pretty much what you are going to get from them. With drafting one of the available WRs, even though you might not get that much out of him as a rookie, if you pick the right one, you could have a real weapon for your offense for years to come. And, I'd rather take a chance on getting a guy who can be a real threat and a playmaker for the team than on someone that I know is going to be OK-to-good, but is unlikely to ever approach being a player that opposing defenses have to fear.

But, of course, that's just my opinion and others may very well differ.

Wouldn't you agree though that if this team were going to go for a possession receiver as a starter, they'd need more speed at the other receiver spots? That'd exclude reed since he's a possession receiver.

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Reed is solid but hardly dominant. Another victim of personnel changes throughout his carreer. NO consistency in the qb position or OL.

bigbub2352
01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Josh Reed is so over valued on this team it is not funny, lets face the facts on the little guy, he is absolutly worthless in the red zone, struggles to get open conistently, drops a ball a game usually, cant stretch the feild, when given the oppurtunity to be number 2 3 times now in his career, he has sucked big time, we gave him starter money 2 yrs ago and his production remained the same
Now for the bright side he is suppossdly a good blocker
ummmm...... really that is it

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Josh Reed is so over valued on this team it is not funny, lets face the facts on the little guy, he is absolutly worthless in the red zone, struggles to get open conistently, drops a ball a game usually, cant stretch the feild, when given the oppurtunity to be number 2 3 times now in his career, he has sucked big time, we gave him starter money 2 yrs ago and his production remained the same
Now for the bright side he is suppossdly a good blocker
ummmm...... really that is it
in other words, a solid no. 3.

NO one was a redzone weapon under Fairchild. Not even Lynch.

mayotm
01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Reed is a below average 2, but an above average 3. Having Reed and Parrish as a 3 and a 4 would be great. Leaving a 2 with size as a huge need.

Philagape
01-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Do you feel comfortable with him taking over as #2 if one of the starting receivers went down with an injury?

No

Do you feel if there's an upgrade out there, he should be replaced?

Yes

shelby
01-06-2008, 12:19 PM
i love Josh Reed, and he can be clutch at times....but he is not a # 2, and if we can upgrade, we should.

YardRat
01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I still feel Buffalo should use both FA and the draft to address the #2 WR position. Grab Gage, Hackett or Johnson and then use the #1 on a Sweed or Kelly.

I'd be comfortable with Evans, Gage, Kelly, Reed and Parrish.

Oaf
01-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I think the general concensus here is that he is a poor option at #2 but is a excellent option when the attention is taken away from him at #3 or #4.

bigbub2352
01-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I still feel Buffalo should use both FA and the draft to address the #2 WR position. Grab Gage, Hackett or Johnson and then use the #1 on a Sweed or Kelly.

I'd be comfortable with Evans, Gage, Kelly, Reed and Parrish.

replace gage with Johnson or Wilford, or Porter and i would be even more pumped, i like Hardy from Indiana or Sweed or kelly just get us some ****in weapons, TE too

colin
01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
reed isn't a very good wr

yordad
01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I believe Kerr is assuming we have upgraded our #2 as a foregone conclusion. He was wondering if Reed could fill in as a #2 in a pinch. I think he is basically asking if we need two upgrades at the WR position.

I think up grading the tight end would be good enough, in a pinch. We have a lot of holes, I want one top WR prospect, and one top TE prospect. And, an actual FB, I think, is a higher priority than a third WR. NTM, the defense.

Now, I think that Reed could be the #3, and if a starter is injured, he could still be a #3, with the 4th jumping him into #2. Reason being Reed is a solid #3 and a bad #2. But a 4th is low on the need list. If we can get this #4 in the lower draft rounds, one better suited for a #2 in a pinch, that is cool with me.

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Considering that Reed has been the most dependable wr this year. Evans sucks too. Might as well get rid of our entire wr corps. It's the OC people.

capitolneal
01-06-2008, 05:54 PM
bring in johnson from arizona and you just fixed all your wide out problems use reed or parrish in the slot wow... Johnson is that good but who would Az. bench??? Over pay him just get him signed then lets draft a cb, a dt, and a lb

Spiderweb
01-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Considering that Reed has been the most dependable wr this year. Evans sucks too. Might as well get rid of our entire wr corps. It's the OC people.

It sure was....

As for Reed, he's a solid slot receiver. If that makes him a number 3, so be it. He's not very effective as a WR as he seems to struggle getting separation.

Let him work the zones over the middle, in those cases he adds value as a receiver.

G. Host
01-07-2008, 04:04 PM
When defenses need to respect QB and give more space between line and LBs and between LBs and safeties Reed will be effective. That is the zone for his type of WR.