PDA

View Full Version : Sneak preview: Trent Edwards

Philagape
01-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Sneak preview
Trent Edwards looks like Bills’ quarterback of future after strong rookie season
By Mark Gaughan
NEWS SPORTS REPORTER

Trent Edwards’ welcome-tothe- NFL moment came 20 minutes into his first regularseason game for the Buffalo Bills, at New England in the third week of the season.

“We were backed up on our own 1-yard line, and we called a QB sneak to the right,” Edwards recalled. “And [Patriots linebacker] Junior Seau is sitting right there in the ‘A’ gap. That’s where I was supposed to be sneaking, right into his gap. I’m looking right into his eyes, and thinking he’s been playing the game for 17 years, and I’ve watched him play while I was growing up. The crowd was going crazy. Your responsibility is to run a sneak right at Junior Seau. There’s no experience at all in college that would compare anything to that.”

Edwards stared into the eyes of NFL competition this season and proved that the pro game is not too big for him. Five of the Bills’ seven wins came in games he started. He was poised and accurate. The Bills’ offense, as limited as it was in the weapons department, showed a semblance of continuity with Edwards at the controls. Edwards’ emergence was the most significant on-field development of the 2007 season for the team. Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. stated repeatedly this year the team needed to come out of the season having identified its quarterback. It wasn’t the one many were expecting, J.P. Losman. But the Bills’ coaching staff and front office believes the team has found its answer at quarterback in Edwards.

“We are really happy with Trent, how far he’s come, and we do believe he’s just going to get better,” Bills coach Dick Jauron said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/244768.html

Romes
01-06-2008, 08:09 AM
good stuff.

amazing how stats can be manipulated, I like this part...

Edwards’ final numbers were not as impressive as they might have been. He completed 56.1 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns, eight interceptions and a passer rating of 70.4. That’s better than the average rookie or first-year starter. Losman hit 49.6 percent with a 64.9 rating his first season on the field. Of course, the Bills aren’t shooting for average with Edwards.

Edwards’ statistics were dragged way down by the two miserable weather games in December — the blizzard game at Cleveland and the near typhoon at home against the New York Giants.

Edwards’ combined numbers those two games were 22 of 59 for 285 yards with two TDs and three INTs. His passer rating was 43.4. That showing would look especially bad if the opposing quarterbacks had fared well. They didn’t.

Cleveland’s Derek Anderson and the Giants’ Eli Manning combined for 16 of 39 for 248 yards with no TDs and two INTs. Their combined passer rating: 41.4.

Take away those two games, and Edwards completed 62.6 percent of his passes in his starts with five TDs, four interceptions and a rating of 79.8. Edwards passed for the most yards ever by a rookie drafted in the third round since the NFL started its common draft in 1967.

funny how people here who are skeptical about anything positive will take out the best game. Here guaghan takes out the the two worst games due to weather and compares his stats vs his two oponents stats. edwards still ends up coming out on top.

i look forward to next year with trent as the qb.

Philagape
01-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Those two games really were extraordinary, and no QB should be expected to play well in them

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Excuses, excuses. If thats what we have to look forward to, we're in deep crap.

shelby
01-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Give me a break, it was his rookie season.
Perhaps we'll pick up a seasoned vet in free agency.

Kerr
01-06-2008, 11:18 AM
For a rookie, T5 did well. His upside is encouraging. It's not like the former and current successful qb's of the nfl fared any better their rookie seasons.

mybills
01-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Perhaps we'll pick up a seasoned vet in free agency.
:pray:
Hamdan can keep the 3rd spot. :up:

raphael120
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM
HE
IS
A
ROOKIE.

JP
IS
A
VET.

JP
SHOULD
BE
PLAYING
WAY
BETTER
THAN
A
ROOKIE.

EDS
01-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Excuses, excuses. If thats what we have to look forward to, we're in deep crap.

Remember the "excuse free" Losman years? Those were the days.

Oaf
01-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Just a thought. Would it hurt to have an open QB comp next year if we don't move Losman? Make him earn the job, have the team rally around him, a la JP in the start of '06?

B-DON
01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Just a thought. Would it hurt to have an open QB comp next year if we don't move Losman? Make him earn the job, have the team rally around him, a la JP in the start of '06?

im sure glad your not coach. Why cause more speculation and doubt with edwards. If anything have him compete with someone we bring in. Ship out Losman asap. PLEASE

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Why is it, that when a rookie QB comes in, shows he's way smarter, has better leadership skills, has better field vision than the guy who has been here 4 years, some fans manage to find any and all negative possible to take away from an unexpected positive?
So negative....so bitter.
Edwards reminds me of Marc Bulger except without Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk.

yordad
01-06-2008, 05:08 PM
im sure glad your not coach. Why cause more speculation and doubt with edwards. If anything have him compete with someone we bring in. Ship out Losman asap. PLEASEYeah, heres a plan: Get rid of the QB that is likely to outperform him in training camp, and bring in some old guy on his last leg. SWEET. Are you free for Offensive coaching next year?

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Remember the "excuse free" Losman years? Those were the days.
same excuses different qb.

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Why is it, that when a rookie QB comes in, shows he's way smarter, has better leadership skills, has better field vision than the guy who has been here 4 years, some fans manage to find any and all negative possible to take away from an unexpected positive?
So negative....so bitter.
Edwards reminds me of Marc Bulger except without Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk.

I want results. Problem is people here make TE out to look like the 2nd coming of Kelly. He's not even as good as Holcomb was but he does have the potential to be better. Thats it, potential.

Those of us who are cautiously optimistic are considered JP lickers even though I never said I was sold on JP , just that he was screwed over by bad coaching.

yordad
01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
HE
IS
A
ROOKIE.

JP
IS
A
VET.

JP
SHOULD
BE
PLAYING
WAY
BETTER
THAN
A
ROOKIE.OK, say my job is to run. And, I run like the wind. Now, but a 50lb sack on my back. Then take some average kid and put a 30 lb sack on his back. Now, Normally, I would beat him by 15 seconds in a 400 meter race. But, with all this weight I only win by 5 seconds. Then you cut the sacks off. You figure the kid should run the next big race because he was only 5 seconds behind me with this dead weight we call offensive coaching, and offensive talent? And, your argument is "he is younger"?

Call me crazy, but I think the guy with less talent doesn't take the incumbents job, unless he shows he is better. Not close. Better. Ever trained someone at your job?

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I want results. Problem is people here make TE out to look like the 2nd coming of Kelly. He's not even as good as Holcomb was but he does have the potential to be better. Thats it, potential.

Those of us who are cautiously optimistic are considered JP lickers even though I never said I was sold on JP , just that he was screwed over by bad coaching.

Problem is, we seem to have TWO QBs with potential. Trouble is, some people can't see that one of them has had potential for four years and had done virtually nothing.

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Problem is, we seem to have TWO QBs with potential. Trouble is, some people can't see that one of them has had potential for four years and had done virtually nothing.
Problem is people are blind that they can't see no one would've thrived under the circumstances. I've shown you stats regarding the 4 qb drafted that year. JP nos are very comparable inspite the circumstances. All the other 3 have had continuity in the system, and OL and coaches. Mularkey and fairchild to go with no OL means disaster. You'd be blasting TE if he was the qb drafted back then if he even survives 3 years with no OL.

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
OK, say my job is to run. And, I run like the wind. Now, but a 50lb sack on my back. Then take some average kid and put a 30 lb sack on his back. Now, Normally, I would beat him by 15 seconds in a 400 meter race. But, with all this weight I only win by 5 seconds. Then you cut the sacks off. You figure the kid should run the next big race because he was only 5 seconds behind me with this dead weight we call offensive coaching, and offensive talent? And, your argument is "he is younger"?

Call me crazy, but I think the guy with less talent doesn't take the incumbents job, unless he shows he is better. Not close. Better. Ever trained someone at your job?

WHAT?!

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Coming straight from his coaches and NFL evaluators - experts on the QB position - the opinion is that Trent is already better than JP and looks like he has what it takes. Instant gratification is fools play. I understand as much as anyone here about how frustrating it has been waiting for a franchise QB to show up. The thing is, there has been no QB on this team that has looked as good in the pocket as Trent does in quite some time. He's shown that he can lay it in over the linebackers and under the safety, that he can put touch on his short passes, can throw the deep ball, but is too hesitant to take those deep chances. When I watch hm, he just seems to have the "it" factor that JP, RJ, and TC never did.
We are fans....all we can do is watch (or not) and hope for the best.

im4bflo
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
All I still see in Edwards is a descent 2nd stringer.
And if we don't solidify our o-line, and surround him with real talented weapons,
he's not the QB you want to count on to come from behind in a bad weather playoff game, is he?

justasportsfan
01-06-2008, 05:30 PM
And if we don't solidify our o-line, and surround him with real talented weapons,

people here will flipflop and blast TE too.

Drew Bledsoe was an experienced vet/ former prowbowl player who couldn't do squat without protection and yet they expect a rookie to develop properly ?

Trent has a better headstart than JP. At least the OL is somewhat decent in pass protection and will hopefully get better. Trent better have a better year next season than JP had in 06.

colin
01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
te has shown promise. the point in the article about him having a higher rating in those two horrible weather games than eli and anderson is encouraging.

jp has very very rarely outplayed an opponents starting quarterback, particularly a good one.

Philagape
01-06-2008, 05:42 PM
OK, say my job is to run. And, I run like the wind. Now, but a 50lb sack on my back. Then take some average kid and put a 30 lb sack on his back. Now, Normally, I would beat him by 15 seconds in a 400 meter race. But, with all this weight I only win by 5 seconds. Then you cut the sacks off. You figure the kid should run the next big race because he was only 5 seconds behind me with this dead weight we call offensive coaching, and offensive talent? And, your argument is "he is younger"?

Correct me if I used the wrong metaphor, but JP doesn't "run like the wind." Never has. Those who believe in Trent believe he has more talent than JP, not less.

im4bflo
01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I think JP was never allowed to use all his potential, because of a crappy OC and us always going 'vanilla' because of injuries, and them pounding into his brain about 'stay in the pocket' and not using his mobility as an extra weapon, and not opening up the O like the players were always asking for. etc...etc.
If he goes somewhere else, and starts kicking butt, this site is going to go crazy!
But if he doesn't, then I'll be the first to say all you haters were right.
TE better get better, or we're skrewed if we don't bring someone who can start in.

EDS
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM

There is a huge difference between "physical talent" (i.e., arm strength and foot speed) and "overall talent" (i.e., physical skills coupled with intelligence, understanding, timing, innate skill, etc.).

There is no question JP is more physically talented then Trent. However, there is no question Ryan Leaf is more physically talented then JP. There is also no question that JP, Trent and Leaf are more physically talented than Joe Montana.

Where does that get us? Hard to say but one may conclude that talent - particularly with respect to quarterbacks - goes way beyond physical skills and involves more unquantifiable aspects of the game, such as mental acumen. Obviously you need some physical skill to succeed as there are many guys who had the mental acumen but not the physical talent to succeed at the NFL level (plenty of coaches like Major Applewhite around to demonstrate that).

You are obviously focusing only on physical skill.

yordad
01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
WHAT?!OK, it was kind of a rant. Basically I think JP is more talented and he performed better. And, I agree this offense (this really bad one) was more suited for TE's strengths (that is why JP was wearing a 50 lb bag to TEs 30 lb bag). And, I am hoping we get a competent offensive coach, while upgrading the offensive talent around the QB position, thus removing all weights.

I think that last part was clear.

:-)

yordad
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
There is a huge difference between "physical talent" (i.e., arm strength and foot speed) and "overall talent" (i.e., physical skills coupled with intelligence, understanding, timing, innate skill, etc.).

There is no question JP is more physically talented then Trent. However, there is no question Ryan Leaf is more physically talented then JP. There is also no question that JP, Trent and Leaf are more physically talented than Joe Montana.

Where does that get us? Hard to say but one may conclude that talent - particularly with respect to quarterbacks - goes way beyond physical skills and involves more unquantifiable aspects of the game, such as mental acumen. Obviously you need some physical skill to succeed as there are many guys who had the mental acumen but not the physical talent to succeed at the NFL level (plenty of coaches like Major Applewhite around to demonstrate that).

You are obviously focusing only on physical skill."intelligence, understanding, timing, innate skill, etc." How do you measure this? By the fruits of labor? JP outperformed TE in an obsolete offense tailored to TE's strengths.

"However, there is no question Ryan Leaf is more physically talented then JP." Really? Leaf had strenght. That is it. JP has more speed and coordination. More quick twitch fibers. Jumping, running, spinning,..... avoiding.

Are they all more physically talented than Joe Montana? Well, I think JP is the only one of the three that was entirely. But yeah, a strong case could be made for all three. Did they have innovative, ahead of their time offenses, tailored to their strengths while surrounded by immense talent and coaching?

And, how did Young do under them circumstances? Young was more talented than Joe. And, he performed better.

How was Leaf's accuracy? Leaf had a 51.1 completion % his fourth year. JP was 63.4%. Jim Kelly only completed a higher % in a year twice. A high of 64.1%

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2008, 06:48 PM
OK, it was kind of a rant. Basically I think JP is more talented and he performed better. And, I agree this offense (this really bad one) was more suited for TE's strengths (that is why JP was wearing a 50 lb bag to TEs 30 lb bag). And, I am hoping we get a competent offensive coach, while upgrading the offensive talent around the QB position, thus removing all weights.

I think that last part was clear.

:-)

OK, well I don't think he performed better. He is more talented physically, but I think Trent has the better upside and his field smarts are much better. Other than that, we will agree to disagree?

yordad
01-06-2008, 06:52 PM
And, about me focusing on the "physical", I like to think I focus on the blend. The actual.

OK, well I don't think he performed better. He is more talented physically, but I think Trent has the better upside and his field smarts are much better. Other than that, we will agree to disagree?Yep. I like that.

I guess we will know more someday. And, if all goes how is seems it's planned, I hope your right.

HHURRICANE
01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Gaughn must be a JP hater and a Trent excuse maker:

Numbers, please
Edwards’ final numbers were not as impressive as they might have been. He completed 56.1 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns, eight interceptions and a passer rating of 70.4. That’s better than the average rookie or first-year starter. Losman hit 49.6 percent with a 64.9 rating his first season on the field. Of course, the Bills aren’t shooting for average with Edwards.
Edwards’ statistics were dragged way down by the two miserable weather games in December — the blizzard game at Cleveland and the near typhoon at home against the New York Giants.
Edwards’ combined numbers those two games were 22 of 59 for 285 yards with two TDs and three INTs. His passer rating was 43.4. That showing would look especially bad if the opposing quarterbacks had fared well. They didn’t.
Cleveland’s Derek Anderson and the Giants’ Eli Manning combined for 16 of 39 for 248 yards with no TDs and two INTs. Their combined passer rating: 41.4.
Take away those two games, and Edwards completed 62.6 percent of his passes in his starts with five TDs, four interceptions and a rating of 79.8. Edwards passed for the most yards ever by a rookie drafted in the third round since the NFL started its common draft in 1967.

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2008, 09:48 PM
he's not the QB you want to count on to come from behind in a bad weather playoff game, is he?

After only nine games in his rookie season, I could not assume to answer yes or no.

Philagape
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
The last QB we could count on wore No. 12

im4bflo
01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
All them stats, don't mean crap to me, I go by what I see, and Edwards isn't impressing me. Yes, he's made a few good plays, but that's far from good enough to win in the playoffs, at home, in our weather, which used to be an advantage!

Novacane
01-07-2008, 09:44 PM
They can't trade JP soon enough. The blind give him one more chance crowd make me want to scream.