• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Sneak preview: Trent Edwards

Sneak preview
    Trent Edwards looks like Bills’ quarterback of future after strong rookie season
    By Mark Gaughan
    NEWS SPORTS REPORTER

Trent Edwards’ welcome-tothe- NFL moment came 20 minutes into his first regularseason game for the Buffalo Bills, at New England in the third week of the season.

“We were backed up on our own 1-yard line, and we called a QB sneak to the right,” Edwards recalled. “And [Patriots linebacker] Junior Seau is sitting right there in the ‘A’ gap. That’s where I was supposed to be sneaking, right into his gap. I’m looking right into his eyes, and thinking he’s been playing the game for 17 years, and I’ve watched him play while I was growing up. The crowd was going crazy. Your responsibility is to run a sneak right at Junior Seau. There’s no experience at all in college that would compare anything to that.”

Edwards stared into the eyes of NFL competition this season and proved that the pro game is not too big for him. Five of the Bills’ seven wins came in games he started. He was poised and accurate. The Bills’ offense, as limited as it was in the weapons department, showed a semblance of continuity with Edwards at the controls. Edwards’ emergence was the most significant on-field development of the 2007 season for the team. Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. stated repeatedly this year the team needed to come out of the season having identified its quarterback. It wasn’t the one many were expecting, J.P. Losman. But the Bills’ coaching staff and front office believes the team has found its answer at quarterback in Edwards.

“We are really happy with Trent, how far he’s come, and we do believe he’s just going to get better,” Bills coach Dick Jauron said.

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Re: Sneak preview: Trent Edwards

good stuff.

amazing how stats can be manipulated, I like this part...

Edwards’ final numbers were not as impressive as they might have been. He completed 56.1 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns, eight interceptions and a passer rating of 70.4. That’s better than the average rookie or first-year starter. Losman hit 49.6 percent with a 64.9 rating his first season on the field. Of course, the Bills aren’t shooting for average with Edwards.

Edwards’ statistics were dragged way down by the two miserable weather games in December — the blizzard game at Cleveland and the near typhoon at home against the New York Giants.

Edwards’ combined numbers those two games were 22 of 59 for 285 yards with two TDs and three INTs. His passer rating was 43.4. That showing would look especially bad if the opposing quarterbacks had fared well. They didn’t.

Cleveland’s Derek Anderson and the Giants’ Eli Manning combined for 16 of 39 for 248 yards with no TDs and two INTs. Their combined passer rating: 41.4.

Take away those two games, and Edwards completed 62.6 percent of his passes in his starts with five TDs, four interceptions and a rating of 79.8. Edwards passed for the most yards ever by a rookie drafted in the third round since the NFL started its common draft in 1967.
    funny how people here who are skeptical about anything positive will take out the best game. Here guaghan takes out the the two worst games due to weather and compares his stats vs his two oponents stats. edwards still ends up coming out on top.

i look forward to next year with trent as the qb.
    Last edited by Romes; 01-06-2008, 08:22 AM.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

Those two games really were extraordinary, and no QB should be expected to play well in them
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Excuses, excuses. If thats what we have to look forward to, we're in deep crap.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla admin
          • Jul 2002

Give me a break, it was his rookie season.
          Perhaps we'll pick up a seasoned vet in free agency.

Comment

• Kerr
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Feb 2005

For a rookie, T5 did well. His upside is encouraging. It's not like the former and current successful qb's of the nfl fared any better their rookie seasons.

Comment

• mybills
              81 st zoner
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by shelby
              Perhaps we'll pick up a seasoned vet in free agency.

Hamdan can keep the 3rd spot.
              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• raphael120
                Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                • Oct 2005

HE
                IS
                A
                ROOKIE.

JP
                IS
                A
                VET.

JP
                SHOULD
                BE
                PLAYING
                WAY
                BETTER
                THAN
                A
                ROOKIE.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  Excuses, excuses. If thats what we have to look forward to, we're in deep crap.
                  Remember the "excuse free" Losman years? Those were the days.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Just a thought. Would it hurt to have an open QB comp next year if we don't move Losman? Make him earn the job, have the team rally around him, a la JP in the start of '06?

Comment

• B-DON
                      hi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Oaf
                      Just a thought. Would it hurt to have an open QB comp next year if we don't move Losman? Make him earn the job, have the team rally around him, a la JP in the start of '06?
                      im sure glad your not coach. Why cause more speculation and doubt with edwards. If anything have him compete with someone we bring in. Ship out Losman asap. PLEASE

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

Why is it, that when a rookie QB comes in, shows he's way smarter, has better leadership skills, has better field vision than the guy who has been here 4 years, some fans manage to find any and all negative possible to take away from an unexpected positive?
                        So negative....so bitter.
                        Edwards reminds me of Marc Bulger except without Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by B-DON
                          im sure glad your not coach. Why cause more speculation and doubt with edwards. If anything have him compete with someone we bring in. Ship out Losman asap. PLEASE
                          Yeah, heres a plan: Get rid of the QB that is likely to outperform him in training camp, and bring in some old guy on his last leg. SWEET. Are you free for Offensive coaching next year?
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS
                            Remember the "excuse free" Losman years? Those were the days.
                            same excuses different qb.
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
                              Why is it, that when a rookie QB comes in, shows he's way smarter, has better leadership skills, has better field vision than the guy who has been here 4 years, some fans manage to find any and all negative possible to take away from an unexpected positive?
                              So negative....so bitter.
                              Edwards reminds me of Marc Bulger except without Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk.
                              I want results. Problem is people here make TE out to look like the 2nd coming of Kelly. He's not even as good as Holcomb was but he does have the potential to be better. Thats it, potential.

Those of us who are cautiously optimistic are considered JP lickers even though I never said I was sold on JP , just that he was screwed over by bad coaching.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞