PDA

View Full Version : Realistic off season agenda

jpdex12
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, with the Bill sout of it early again this year there have been plenty of Zoners offering opinions on what this team needs in the off season.

Realistically if we are going to contend for a playoff position next year we need immediate help from FA in some high priority positions. Yes, we should improve automatically with the return of a healthy roster but it is guarenteed that we will see some changes with both our offense and defense.

A new offensive scheme will set us back a bit and it is a good possibility that we may see a new offense but naything will help at this point. I don't expect our defense to change much other than the addition of a few new players especially in the DT place.

As far as free agency is concerned, we MUST get a solid #2 WR that is good at fighting off a CB and going up for the jump ball. Tall, fairly big bodied WR with good hands and reliability. We cannot rely on a rookie in the draft to start on day one. It won't happen. We are lucky that we have had good draft picks that have started for us in recent years. It won't happen every year.

We also need to pick up a hefty DT in FA. Where will our next Ted Washington come from? That is the type of player we need to clog the D line and allow our linebackers to make more plays.

The third need from FA is a back up QB. We need the services of a solid veteran play caller that will be able to help the learning curve of TE and also be able to hold down the fort in the event that Edwards goes down. Not a Vinny Testeverde but a Todd Collins/Kerry Collins type veteran.

If we address any areas in FA these are the three positions we need to strengthen. We should expect to see a fairly high profile player signed in FA even if it comes in the form of a trade and not just a unrestricted FA. I would guess that it would be the DT position because there are not too many solid run stuffing DT's that are UFAs.

As far as the draft, this will depend on what positions we can fill through FA. Assuming that we get who we need from FA for WR, DT and QB we will bolster depth and find soon to be starters in the draft to satisfy expectations in the 2009 season. Our first priority in the draft would have to be best player available for certain positions in the 1st round. Either an OLB or WR. I say this because the top players that we would jump at no matter what positions we needed to fill won't be there. No Chris Long, no Dorsey or Ellis. We won't go after a QB or offensive lineman, running back or a DE.

1st round
DT=Dorsey/Ellis, LB=Connor/Laurinaitis (either can play OLB), WR=Kelly/Sweed
2nd round
TE=Keller/Rucker, LB=Sean Lee/Highsmith, WR=Bowman, CB=McKelvin/Porter/Talib
3rd round
TE/WR/CB

I would hope to see...
1st-Ellis
2nd-Highsmith
Trade both 3rds to get a second rounder to take Keller
Trade the 4th round pick I could see us getting for JP and one of our 5ths to get back into the 3rd and take a CB or a tall WR.

Scrap the Hback crap and get a real tight end and FB formation.

shelby
01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
:goodpost:....thanks.
Great breakdown.

i billieve this team is headed in the right direction, but some changes do need to be made. We still have glaring needs on the roster which must be addressed, and i'd like the offensive gameplan to change drastically. Scrapping the Cover 2 wouldn't hurt my feelings any, but i doubt that would happen.

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
FA: WR Bryant Johnson, DT Randy Starks, CB Charles Tillman

Draft: 1. DE Gholston (if he falls) or Calais Campbell
2. TE Martin Rucker
3. WR Keenan Burton (falls after a dropoff in productivity)
3. OLB ? This is a deep draft at this position; take best available
4. FB Jehuu Caulcrick (went to HS in WNY; Clymer)

This is certainly a feasible offseason given our current cap space and one that I believe would fill nearly every hole and upgrade every weak spot on the roster.

jpdex12
01-06-2008, 03:33 PM
FA: WR Bryant Johnson, DT Randy Starks, CB Charles Tillman

Draft: 1. DE Gholston (if he falls) or Calais Campbell
2. TE Martin Rucker
3. WR Keenan Burton (falls after a dropoff in productivity)
3. OLB ? This is a deep draft at this position; take best available
4. FB Jehuu Caulcrick (went to HS in WNY; Clymer)

This is certainly a feasible offseason given our current cap space and one that I believe would fill nearly every hole and upgrade every weak spot on the roster.

those FAs would be great!

Midwesternbillsfan
01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Charles Tillman signed a contract extension w/Chicago last summer.

Nighthawk
01-06-2008, 04:24 PM
A realistic start would be getting a good GM in here who can ACTUALLY lead this team in the right direction and not this love fest everybody had for Marv. Get that done and maybe, just maybe...we see this team move in the right direction.

DraftBoy
01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
My Offseason:
FA: DT Corey Williams (our one big addition), LB Boss Bailey, OC Jeff Faine, OG Jake Scott

R1: TE Martellus Bennett-Texas A&M
R2: WR Limas Sweed-Texas
R3: CB Dominique Rodgers-Croamartie-Tennessee State
R3: LB Phillip Wheeler-Georgia Tech
R4: QB Joe Flacco-Delaware
R5: DE Tommy Blake-TCU
R6: SS Chris Horton-UCLA
R7: OC Fernando Velasco-Georgia
R7: WR Shareer McBride-Delaware State

Thoughts?

Luisito23
01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Limas Sweed will not last until the 2nd. round....

GO BILLS!!!!!!

DraftBoy
01-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Limas Sweed will not last until the 2nd. round....

GO BILLS!!!!!!

No he will actually, he's currently being projected to go there once Kelly declares he'll drop even more.

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Charles Tillman signed a contract extension w/Chicago last summer.

Thanks....that's what I get for trusting KFFL.

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
My Offseason:
FA: DT Corey Williams (our one big addition), LB Boss Bailey, OC Jeff Faine, OG Jake Scott

R1: TE Martellus Bennett-Texas A&M
R2: WR Limas Sweed-Texas
R3: CB Dominique Rodgers-Croamartie-Tennessee State
R3: LB Phillip Wheeler-Georgia Tech
R4: QB Joe Flacco-Delaware
R5: DE Tommy Blake-TCU
R6: SS Chris Horton-UCLA
R7: OC Fernando Velasco-Georgia
R7: WR Shareer McBride-Delaware State

Thoughts?

The chances of spending more FA money on the O-line is slim, but Williams and Bailey would be nice. Bennett and Sweed would also be great but I'm not sure a TE in round 1 is the way Jauron will go. Either WR or defense makes more sense. I wouldn't complain about Wheeler either. That may be too early for a QB, especially if we pick up a FA which would be wise if Losman moves on.

Bmax
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok here goes FA sign

WR-Ernest Wiliford Haven't always been a big fan of his but his size and play making skills are very good...Bryan Johnson would choice 2..

DT-Would go Corey Williams but price may be a little too steep...Damione Lewis-Cheaper option to fill the void ..

TE-Gaines - Another cheap fill in for depth....good blocker...Back up

Draft
1. WR-Malcom Kelly-WR-6-4-220-Big WR the Bills covet..with Wiliford he can come along slowly and blow up late in the season...DE- Jason Jones-I Know we need a WR and TE....But how many sacks did we have last year ? 26 yikes !!!.... yeah we spent big money on schobel and Kelsy .. But Hargrove is a FA and Denney is banged up we need Quality depth....Harvey will give us that.. For all we know Denney may be gone by 2009 we his contract is up....

2. DT- Frank Okam-Texas-6-5-320 needs a little work.. Big time stuffer who may not fit our Def. Dre Moore may be another option

3a. DE- Jason Jones-Eastern Mich 6-5-262 -I Know we need a TE....But how many sacks did we have last year ? 26 yikes !!!.... yeah we spent big money on Schobel and Kelsy .. But Hargrove is a FA and Denney is banged up we need Quality depth....Jones is a riser who will give the Bills the athlete they need at the position.. For all we know Denney may be gone by 2009 when his contract is up....

3b.Tavres Gooden Miami-OLB can also polay inside LB 6-2-236 4.5 speed ...Need some grooming but he is a great athlete ....

4.Dwight Lowery-San jose St-CB.. Injuries and Youboty have Bills seeking another CB

5a. Kellen Davis-Mich ST- TE-6-6-252... Rugged stud who can get downfield.

5b-.Curtis Gatewood-OLB -Vandy-6-2-242....

6. Curtis Johnson -Clark-Atlanta-DE-OLB-6-3-245...

7A.Marcus Coleman-C-Wisc.6-5-305

7B.Mike Gibson-OT-OG Cal-6-4-308...

Bmax

jpdex12
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
No he will actually, he's currently being projected to go there once Kelly declares he'll drop even more.

Doubt it.