PDA

View Full Version : What would you trade Losman for?

Bruce is Loose
01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Everyone has their opinion on JP, but clearly we are going into next season with Trent penciled in as the starter and as the future of this franchise.

We gave JP a lot of chances and he looked brilliant at times and hopeless at other times. Still, with the premium on QBs in the NFL today there are people out there (including posters on this board) who think that JP can still succeed in the right offense.

Additionally, teams really do need two competent QBs, as was evidenced by us this year. Regardless of our individual opinions, I think many teams (including the Bills) would be happy with JP as their 2nd string.

Losman has one year left on his contract and since he didnt hit his escalator this year, he is only due 2 million in 2008. If we do trade JP we will have to sign a vetren backup, so the salary cap impact is probably a wash if we keep or trade him. At this price the Bills cannot outright cut him. So where do we draw the line on whether we do/dont trade?

For simplicity sake I am not including player trades but just draft picks.

YardRat
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Happy with a fifth, lucky if we get more.

Confused
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
salt for my broken heart. hahahahaha that thur is funny

bigbub2352
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
we r not gonna get much

G. Host
01-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I would not trade him without a veteran player or a younger player with a few years left on contract included in trade. Losman is salvageable with time and the right season. Maybe for a 1st round pick but first round picks are risky as Losman showed.

TigerJ
01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I put a fourth round pick. I'm not a JP hater, nor have I ever been, but I think it's time to move on. JP is not an ideal backup, and he would not be happy in Buffalo in that role. For his sake and the sake of the team, trade him and sign a veteran backup. There will be guys available.

G Wolly
01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
We do have a back-up anyway.

But we could probably squeeze a 3rd round pick out of him.

Oaf
01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Hold out for a 2nd or a McGahee-like two 3rds, or give him some shot to fight for he job back in August.

TacklingDummy
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Since you didn't give the option of "1st round pick", I'll have to pick 2nd round. JP has a ton of "potential".

Once JP gets some real coaches, some real linemen, a real TE, and some real WRs, he will be Hall of Fame material.

venis2k1
01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
A solid back up QB is worth more to me than a 4th round pick...especially when our starting qb is as injury prone as Trent is.

HHURRICANE
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm telling you that we will get no worse than a third but maybe a second.

Night Train
01-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking a 6th or 7th round pick is all we'd get for him. I doubt anyone wants him for anything more than a backup.

justasportsfan
01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
If all thats offered is less than a 3rd. Keep him. We don't even have a back up for an unproven starter.

realdealryan
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Todd Collins.

Straight up.

justasportsfan
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Since you didn't give the option of "1st round pick", I'll have to pick 2nd round. JP has a ton of "potential".

Once JP gets some real coaches, some real linemen, a real TE, and some real WRs, he will be Hall of Fame material.
JP had a better start in the NFL than Flutie. He's got more upside than the midget. If the midget can make it back to the NFL, I can't see why JP can't. JP's mistake was he listened to his OC.

justasportsfan
01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Todd Collins.

Straight up.

That would be another QB controversy.

Elminster
01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I'd pull the trigger on as little as a 5th-round pick, though I'd really like a 3rd. I think you move him because him merely being on the team is a problem in the locker room, no matter how much or how little he talks. He has been a (at times) good starter in this league, and I doubt many would hang with Edwards if he fails to improve when they could swing back to Losman, a guy they know and respect as a leader. It could happen with any back-up, but it seems more likely with Losman. Plus, he's not staying here past '08, so I feel it is very much like the McGahee situation where we should look to maximize our returns and get something for him while we still can. Losman isn't part of this team's future, and I feel it is most efficient to trade him for a pick or player that will be a part of this team's future.

madness
01-08-2008, 12:59 PM
That would be another BQ controversy.

BarbeQue controversy?

trapezeus
01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
i'd trade JP and his 4 superfans on this board for a bag of common sense and any draft pick in April 2008. Who's with me?

HHURRICANE
01-08-2008, 02:53 PM
i'd trade JP and his 4 superfans on this board for a bag of common sense and any draft pick in April 2008. Who's with me?

I love this.

Dont drink the water
01-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Who are the superfans?

Jan Reimers
01-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure we'd get enough to warrant trading him. He's at least a good, experienced backup. I'd keep him for another season unless we got a 2nd for him, which I don't think is going to happen.

Bruce is Loose
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I think there is no way we could let him go for less than a third. Take a 2nd in a heartbeat.

Mr. Pink
01-09-2008, 12:23 PM
It's a take whatever you can for him or get nothing situation.

justasportsfan
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
It's a take whatever you can for him or get nothing situation.
Without knowing what system we'll be bringing in and what could be Dicks last year, he's better off keeping Jp if all he can get is a 4th or less since Trent is unproven and has durability questionmarks. Should Trent go down or suck at least JP is familiar with his players and may salvage the season and Dicks job.

If Dick brings in the WCO thenI agree, get rid of him for whatever you can get.

Bruce is Loose
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Definatly - I think many on this board overvalue low round draft picks. On actual winning teams these picks rarely ever make the roster. I think NE has only one rookie on their roster, Brandon Meriweather , but I havnt looked that up so Im not sure...

Bruce is Loose
01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I dont think that just any pick is worth a quality backup for even one year (at only 2 MILLION)

Bill Cody
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Definatly - I think many on this board overvalue low round draft picks. On actual winning teams these picks rarely ever make the roster. I think NE has only one rookie on their roster, Brandon Meriweather , but I havnt looked that up so Im not sure...

And many on this board overvalue JP. These people imagining a first day pick are dreaming. Here are some recent QB transactions:

David Carr- released by Texans
Byron Leftwich- released by Jaguars
Trent Green- traded for 4th rounder (stupid Miami)
Joey Harrington- traded by Lions for 6th rounder

I think if we can get a pick, any pick, we should take it. JP has already said he doesn't want to come back and in any case he blows.

thecoordinator
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
And many on this board overvalue JP. These people imagining a first day pick are dreaming. Here are some recent QB transactions:

David Carr- released by Texans
Byron Leftwich- released by Jaguars
Trent Green- traded for 4th rounder (stupid Miami)
Joey Harrington- traded by Lions for 6th rounder

I think if we can get a pick, any pick, we should take it. JP has already said he doesn't want to come back and in any case he blows.

JP has little value. he's a 1st round pick that has done nothing in 4 years and lost his job to a 3rd round rookie who didn't have to do much to get it. the bills should ask for a 5th round conditional pick.

clumping platelets
01-10-2008, 12:31 AM
JP has little value. he's a 1st round pick that has done nothing in 4 years and lost his job to a 3rd round rookie who didn't have to do much to get it. the bills should ask for a 5th round conditional pick.

Bills can get more than a cond 5th........damn, Eagles got a 2nd rd pick for AJ Feeley :laughing:

thecoordinator
01-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Bills can get more than a cond 5th........damn, Eagles got a 2nd rd pick for AJ Feeley :laughing:

this is true..i think spielman is with the vikings now? you might be able to get a couple 1sts from him

Bill Cody
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
1) That was stupid Miami. They enjoy getting hosed in trades for QB's like nobody else. Maybe they'd take JP. Oh wait BP is there now forget it.

2) Feeley is very mediocre but if you watched the Philly NE game this year you have to admit JP never could have played as well as AJ did (even with the picks) in that game. Translation: I'd take a trade of JP for AJ all day.

Oaf
01-10-2008, 03:26 PM
The question should be, what will teams trade for Losman.