PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft: Round 1

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 09:20 AM
1. Miami: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU -- Parcells will build the Dolphins the way he builds all his teams, from the DL out. That starts with Dorsey who can play anywhere on on the DL in a Parcells 3-4.

2. St-Louis: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC -- As far as I can remember the Rams have NEVER had a dominating DL. Some might see this as a bit of a reach this high but Ellis paired up with Carriker would give the Rams a solid front 4.

3. Oakland: Darren McFadden, RB, USC -- Lamont Jordan is out in Oakland, Fargas is FA and Dominic Rhodes is a better player with a true #1 in front of him. Simply, McFadden and his speed will be too good for Al Davis to pass on.

4. Atlanta: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky -- Woodson is currently rated as the 3rd best QB by most behind Brohm and Ryan, but after the combine he will show scouts that he should be #1. Atlanta simply has no future at that position.

5. Kansas City: Jake Long, OT, Michigan-- KC is thrilled that the player they wanted is still on the board. Their running game has not been the same since Roaf retired, Long provides sound pass blocking and a mean streak as a run blocker.

6. New York Jets: Chris Long, DE, Virginia: The Jets also get the player they wanted who also fills a major need on the DL. Long is perfect for their 3-4 defense since he has been playing in a verson of it in Al Groh's 3-4. The pedigree doesn't hurt either.

7. New England : Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State -- If Ray Maualuga declares for the draft then I have him going here. Maualuga is exactly what the Pats covet in a inside LB. Strong, fast, great pass rusher and can stuff the run. If not they take Jenkins who will replace Samuel. Jenkins is big at 6'1" 208, runs a 4.3 and can cover anyone. Assante who? Jenkins will annoy Bills fans for years.

8. Baltimore: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College -- Although I think the Ravens should be building around Boller I dont think the new coach will feel the same way. The Ravens take the best QB available, and possibly the best in the draft and smile.

9. Cincinnati: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State -- The Bengals desperately need a LB but they can address that later. Pass rushers are hard to come by and they had none to speak of this year. Gholston will help out a young secondary that suffered from a lack of pressure on QBs.

10. New Orleans: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas -- The Saints were hoping for Ellis to drop to them, with him gone there isnt any value at DT this high. Instead they take perhaps the best athlete at CB in the draft, the Jason David experiment failed. Note to all NFL teams, dont sign a cover 2 CB to play man for you.

11. Buffalo: Fred Davis, TE, USC -- The Bills need a WR but #11 is too high for any WR in this draft so they address their second biggest need with the best TE in the draft. Davis will provide the Bills with a player who can stretch the middle of the field, make the tough catches and be a threat in the redzone. Also, Davis is accustomed to lining up anywhere on the field and playing H-back which the Bills covet.

12. Denver: James Laurenitis, MLB, Ohio State-- The run on Ohio state defenders continues... The Broncos need a MLB that will allow DJ Williams to go back to the outside. This will beef up their run D and allow DJ to be a playmaker again.

13. Carolina: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami -- Carolina had a lot of difficulty pressuring QBs this year mostly due to the decline of Mike Rucker. Campbell has been compared to Peppers for his freakish physique and pass rush ability. This gives the Panthers the bookends they once had.

14. Chicago: Kenny Philips, FS, Miami -- I had Brohm going here but I think they hold off one more year at QB. Every good cover 2 has an excellent safety. Philips is a steal at 14 and will give the Bears a playmaker at a position that allowed way too many big plays this year.

15. Detroit: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise-- Clady is a huge athletic T, Detroit gives up the most sacks in the NFL, they have to address the OL at some point no matter who is behind center.

16. Arizona: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida -- Arizona has good players on D but they are missing a speed rusher off the edge and have since Simeon Rice left. Harvey teams up with Bertrand Berry and Darnell Dockett to form a solid DL.

17. Minnesota: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma -- Sidney Rice turned out to be a good pick and is still developing while Troy Williamson is turning out to be a bust. Kelly will give Jackson another target and will help make the Vikings a dual threat on offense.

18. Houston: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona -- The Texans have Dunta Robinson but other than that they are weak in the secondary. Cason will provide them with a cover man and a solid tackler. OL is a consideration but they can address that in Rd.2.

19. Philadelphia Eagles: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State -- The Eagles now know what a big, athletic playmaker at WR can do for their offense. Things havent been the same since TO left so they look to get McNabb someone to take the pressure off. Bowman may not be TO but he is an upgrade over Reggie Brown.

20.Tampa Bay: Desean Jackson, WR, California -- The Bucs need another playmaker at WR that can stretch the field and Joey Galloway is getting up there in age. Jackson has great hands, can play underneath and is a threat to go the distance everytime he touches the ball. He also gives the added bonus of a returner, one of the best.

21.Washington: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas -- There is great value at WR at this point in the draft which is why the skins take Sweed. Sweed is a huge target at 6'5" 220, he may not be the fastest but can still make big plays downfield with his size and ball skills. Sweed can easily emerge as a Plaxico Burress type of player which is why the skins are happy to get him. This will also allow Randle El to move into the slot where he can provide similar production to Wes Welker.

22. Dallas: Sam Baker, OT, USC -- Flozell Adams has been a solid player for Dallas but he's 32, a FA, and his best years are behind him. Sam Baker gives Dallas better pass blocking than Adams and is just as good as a run blocker. Baker will protect Romo's backside for the next ten years.

23. Seattle: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois -- Shaun Alexander will be 31 by next season and Seattle will need his replacement or in case injures catch up with him again. Either way having a second RB that can take some of the load off of Alexander will help. Maurice Morris is decent but nothing special.

24. Pittsburgh: Gosder Cherilus, OG, Boston College -- The strength of the Steelers has always been their OL, but this offseason the Steelers are expected to allow veterans Alan Faneca and Max Starx leave via FA. Cherilus is massive at 6'7" 320 but is also a good athlete that excels in the run and pass game and should start right away for the Steelers.

25. Tennessee: Early Doucet, WR, LSU -- Tennessee desperately needs a playmaker at WR for Vince Young to continue progressing as a QB. Doucet is not a flashy player but can make all the cathes, is a good route runner and can take a hit over the middle.

26. New York Giants: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC -- Rivers is exactly what the Giants need. They are set at MLB with Antonio Pierce but Rivers gives them another smart, physical and fast play maker in the LB corps which they currently don't have. The other option for the Giants here is CB Mike Jenkins, but with their talent at DE their CBs don't have to be the best.

27. San Diego: Frank Okam, DT, Texas -- Jamaal Williams is still one of the best DT in the game but he is getting old and Okam gives them more depth at the NT spot which they need.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars: Reggie Smith, CB/S. Oklahoma -- Since getting rid of their great safety duo Deion Grant and Donovan Darius the Jags have been prone to giving up big plays downfield. Last offseason they replaced Grant with Reggie Nelson but the their current SS Sammy Knight is just too slow. Smith and Nelson will bring youth and talent back to their secondary.

29. Green Bay Packers: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida -- Woodson and Harris are one of the best CB tandems in the NFL but Woodson is 31 and Harris is 33. Jenkins is big, fast and is great in man coverage. He can learn behind the vets for one year and take over in 2009.

30. New England -- Forfeited

31. Dallas: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon -- Stewart is just a great all-around RB that combines speed, power, agility and recieving skills. With Julius Jones on the way out in Dallas the Cowboys will need to add a RB to pair up with Barber. These 2 together can be the best RB tandem in the league.

32. San Francisco: James Hardy, WR, Indiana -- At 6'7" Hardy is not the fastest and doesn't get the best separation but he creates mismatches with any corner in the league. Hardy is amazing in the redzone due to his size of course but it's his body control and ball skills that make him so dangerous. Hardy gives SF a presence at WR that they haven't had since TO left.

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 09:26 AM
No Bennett?, Manningham said he's staying already

clumping platelets
01-08-2008, 09:28 AM
:scratch:

Dr. Lecter
01-08-2008, 09:29 AM

Kevin Smith said he was staying too.

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks... I'll update that....

Of course Bennett can go in the first but I think teams will feel that with the depth at the TE position they can get one in the second.

You could say the same for Buffalo but IMO there is a drop off after Davis.

venis2k1
01-08-2008, 09:31 AM
are you on drugs????

Ferrygoat
01-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Kevin Smith said he was going to stay, but changed his mind and is going to enter the draft

Dr. Lecter
That was my point.

Bone
Im cool with the pick, I bet we do not take a Wr in the draft, either D or TE

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Reggie Smith?

Jaybird
not so good my man......
smith is coming out, mario is not........ we dont even know if mcfadden is entering the draft.....

DraftBoy

So did Jamaal Charles and last year Colt Brennan declared and then took it back. Im not saying his decision is definite but if a guy comes out and says one thing, for the moment should we at least not give him the benefit of the doubt?

DraftBoy
Reggie Smith?

No word on him recently but I think he's leaning towards staying

Mahdi
are you on drugs????
Can you elaborate on that....

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
not so good my man......
smith is coming out, mario is not........ we dont even know if mcfadden is entering the draft.....

McFadden has declared

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I want to reference you all to this thread in the Scouting Zone;
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=141671

This is the most up to date list of declared Juniors

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Is this Tight end good enough to take at 11?

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Is this Tight end good enough to take at 11?

I dont think so, he's very one dimensional

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Well I don't care if he can block in the least. Royal is a good blocker actually.

venis2k1
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
No love for Dan Connor??

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Well I don't care if he can block in the least. Royal is a good blocker actually.

:rofl:

Im glad this is the desperation we've come to now. I dont care if we take a player with severe flaws at #11 overall, one of the current scrubs can probably fill in for him doing that!

Come on, you dont take a guy who cant block as a TE at 11 overall, 2nd Round yes, 11 overall, no way.

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
No love for Dan Connor??
I was trying to fit him in but just couldnt. I almost had him going to Philly at 19.

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 10:00 AM

Im glad this is the desperation we've come to now. I dont care if we take a player with severe flaws at #11 overall, one of the current scrubs can probably fill in for him doing that!

Come on, you dont take a guy who cant block as a TE at 11 overall, 2nd Round yes, 11 overall, no way.
Actually its well known that Davis is a solid blocker. He even plays some H-Back because he's a good blocker. That is why I have him going this high,, he can do everything and IMO has that X-factor that the great TEs in the game have.

jdbillsfan
1. Miami: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU -- Parcells will build the Dolphins the way he builds all his teams, from the DL out. That starts with Dorsey who can play anywhere on on the DL in a Parcells 3-4.

2. St-Louis: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC -- As far as I can remember the Rams have NEVER had a dominating DL. Some might see this as a bit of a reach this high but Ellis paired up with Carriker would give the Rams a solid front 4.

3. Oakland: Darren McFadden, RB, USC -- Lamont Jordan is out in Oakland, Fargas is FA and Dominic Rhodes is a better player with a true #1 in front of him. Simply, McFadden and his speed will be too good for Al Davis to pass on.

4. Atlanta: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky -- Woodson is currently rated as the 3rd best QB by most behind Brohm and Ryan, but after the combine he will show scouts that he should be #1. Atlanta simply has no future at that position.

5. Kansas City: Jake Long, OT, Michigan-- KC is thrilled that the player they wanted is still on the board. Their running game has not been the same since Roaf retired, Long provides sound pass blocking and a mean streak as a run blocker.

6. New York Jets: Chris Long, DE, Virginia: The Jets also get the player they wanted who also fills a major need on the DL. Long is perfect for their 3-4 defense since he has been playing in a verson of it in Al Groh's 3-4. The pedigree doesn't hurt either.

7. New England : Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State -- If Ray Maualuga declares for the draft then I have him going here. Maualuga is exactly what the Pats covet in a inside LB. Strong, fast, great pass rusher and can stuff the run. If not they take Jenkins who will replace Samuel. Jenkins is big at 6'1" 208, runs a 4.3 and can cover anyone. Assante who? Jenkins will annoy Bills fans for years.

8. Baltimore: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College -- Although I think the Ravens should be building around Boller I dont think the new coach will feel the same way. The Ravens take the best QB available, and possibly the best in the draft and smile.

9. Cincinnati: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State -- The Bengals desperately need a LB but they can address that later. Pass rushers are hard to come by and they had none to speak of this year. Gholston will help out a young secondary that suffered from a lack of pressure on QBs.

10. New Orleans: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas -- The Saints were hoping for Ellis to drop to them, with him gone there isnt any value at DT this high. Instead they take perhaps the best athlete at CB in the draft, the Jason David experiment failed. Note to all NFL teams, dont sign a cover 2 CB to play man for you.

11. Buffalo: Fred Davis, TE, USC -- The Bills need a WR but #11 is too high for any WR in this draft so they address their second biggest need with the best TE in the draft. Davis will provide the Bills with a player who can stretch the middle of the field, make the tough catches and be a threat in the redzone. Also, Davis is accustomed to lining up anywhere on the field and playing H-back which the Bills covet.

12. Denver: James Laurenitis, MLB, Ohio State-- The run on Ohio state defenders continues... The Broncos need a MLB that will allow DJ Williams to go back to the outside. This will beef up their run D and allow DJ to be a playmaker again.

13. Carolina: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami -- Carolina had a lot of difficulty pressuring QBs this year mostly due to the decline of Mike Rucker. Campbell has been compared to Peppers for his freakish physique and pass rush ability. This gives the Panthers the bookends they once had.

14. Chicago: Kenny Philips, FS, Miami -- I had Brohm going here but I think they hold off one more year at QB. Every good cover 2 has an excellent safety. Philips is a steal at 14 and will give the Bears a playmaker at a position that allowed way too many big plays this year.

15. Detroit: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise-- Clady is a huge athletic T, Detroit gives up the most sacks in the NFL, they have to address the OL at some point no matter who is behind center.

16. Arizona: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida -- Arizona has good players on D but they are missing a speed rusher off the edge and have since Simeon Rice left. Harvey teams up with Bertrand Berry and Darnell Dockett to form a solid DL.

17. Minnesota: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma -- Sidney Rice turned out to be a good pick and is still developing while Troy Williamson is turning out to be a bust. Kelly will give Jackson another target and will help make the Vikings a dual threat on offense.

18. Houston: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona -- The Texans have Dunta Robinson but other than that they are weak in the secondary. Cason will provide them with a cover man and a solid tackler. OL is a consideration but they can address that in Rd.2.

19. Philadelphia Eagles: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State -- The Eagles now know what a big, athletic playmaker at WR can do for their offense. Things havent been the same since TO left so they look to get McNabb someone to take the pressure off. Bowman may not be TO but he is an upgrade over Reggie Brown.

20.Tampa Bay: Desean Jackson, WR, California -- The Bucs need another playmaker at WR that can stretch the field and Joey Galloway is getting up there in age. Jackson has great hands, can play underneath and is a threat to go the distance everytime he touches the ball. He also gives the added bonus of a returner, one of the best.

21.Washington: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas -- There is great value at WR at this point in the draft which is why the skins take Sweed. Sweed is a huge target at 6'5" 220, he may not be the fastest but can still make big plays downfield with his size and ball skills. Sweed can easily emerge as a Plaxico Burress type of player which is why the skins are happy to get him. This will also allow Randle El to move into the slot where he can provide similar production to Wes Welker.

22. Dallas: Sam Baker, OT, USC -- Flozell Adams has been a solid player for Dallas but he's 32, a FA, and his best years are behind him. Sam Baker gives Dallas better pass blocking than Adams and is just as good as a run blocker. Baker will protect Romo's backside for the next ten years.

23. Seattle: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois -- Shaun Alexander will be 31 by next season and Seattle will need his replacement or in case injures catch up with him again. Either way having a second RB that can take some of the load off of Alexander will help. Maurice Morris is decent but nothing special.

24. Pittsburgh: Gosder Cherilus, OG, Boston College -- The strength of the Steelers has always been their OL, but this offseason the Steelers are expected to allow veterans Alan Faneca and Max Starx leave via FA. Cherilus is massive at 6'7" 320 but is also a good athlete that excels in the run and pass game and should start right away for the Steelers.

25. Tennessee: Early Doucet, WR, LSU -- Tennessee desperately needs a playmaker at WR for Vince Young to continue progressing as a QB. Doucet is not a flashy player but can make all the cathes, is a good route runner and can take a hit over the middle.

26. New York Giants: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC -- Rivers is exactly what the Giants need. They are set at MLB with Antonio Pierce but Rivers gives them another smart, physical and fast play maker in the LB corps which they currently don't have. The other option for the Giants here is CB Mike Jenkins, but with their talent at DE their CBs don't have to be the best.

27. San Diego: Frank Okam, DT, Texas -- Jamaal Williams is still one of the best DT in the game but he is getting old and Okam gives them more depth at the NT spot which they need.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars: Reggie Smith, CB/S. Oklahoma -- Since getting rid of their great safety duo Deion Grant and Donovan Darius the Jags have been prone to giving up big plays downfield. Last offseason they replaced Grant with Reggie Nelson but the their current SS Sammy Knight is just too slow. Smith and Nelson will bring youth and talent back to their secondary.

29. Green Bay Packers: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida -- Woodson and Harris are one of the best CB tandems in the NFL but Woodson is 31 and Harris is 33. Jenkins is big, fast and is great in man coverage. He can learn behind the vets for one year and take over in 2009.

30. New England -- Forfeited

31. Dallas: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon -- Stewart is just a great all-around RB that combines speed, power, agility and recieving skills. With Julius Jones on the way out in Dallas the Cowboys will need to add a RB to pair up with Barber. These 2 together can be the best RB tandem in the league.

32. San Francisco: James Hardy, WR, Indiana -- At 6'7" Hardy is not the fastest and doesn't get the best separation but he creates mismatches with any corner in the league. Hardy is amazing in the redzone due to his size of course but it's his body control and ball skills that make him so dangerous. Hardy gives SF a presence at WR that they haven't had since TO left.

Nice Mock! Very well thought out. It should be a fun few months. If we don't get Briggs in Free Agency, I would be interested in a player like Connor, Rivers or Highsmith.

I like the idea of Bennett also. I think 11 is too high for any of the WR's in this draft. At least at this point.

Campbell could be interesting as well. I don't know enough about him though.

venis2k1
Can you elaborate on that....

I just think 11 is Way to high to take a TE in this draft. I like Davis ALOT, and think he would be a great fit for this team, but unless we trade down, we can get much better value there.

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I just think 11 is Way to high to take a TE in this draft. I like Davis ALOT, and think he would be a great fit for this team, but unless we trade down, we can get much better value there.
But thats exactly it IMO,,, I dont think the value is there for any other position...

We need WR, TE, LB, DT....

11 is too high for WR, its not too high for LB but in a cover 2 LBs are a dime dozen. Briggs was a third round pick. I think you can find the type of LB you need for a cover 2 in the later rounds. And then I have the top 2 DTs going before we pick which is most likely to happen.

That leaves TE as the position for the Bills that has the most value left on the board.

venis2k1
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
James Laurenitis would be a good fit for this team...

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 10:11 AM
James Laurenitis would be a good fit for this team...
Laurenaitis is very similar to POz. If we take a LB with the first pick it should be an OLB to replace Ellison... like Dan Connor or Rivers.

I suppose you could move Poz to the outside and put Laurenaitis in the middle but I think adding Rivers or Connor would give us more athleticism.

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Actually its well known that Davis is a solid blocker. He even plays some H-Back because he's a good blocker. That is why I have him going this high,, he can do everything and IMO has that X-factor that the great TEs in the game have.

I encourage you to watch some of his games and watch him get pushed into the backfield on mulitple occasions. He does occasionally give a good block but I think his technique, footwork, and hand placement all needs tons of work.

mysticsoto
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Two DTs going in picks 1 and 2??? I don't see that. TE at #11? I'd hate that pick completely!!! There is alot I don't agree with in this draft, but some of the picks are ok...

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I encourage you to watch some of his games and watch him get pushed into the backfield on mulitple occasions. He does occasionally give a good block but I think his technique, footwork, and hand placement all needs tons of work.
All the reviews I have read on Davis say that he is en efficient to very good blocker. Really, thats all you need out of a receiving TE.

Thurm has a point, you dont really need a player like Davis to be a devastating blocker, Shockey, Winslow, Gates are probably decent blockers but not as good as Royal I bet.

When we play 2 TE sets having Royal, Davis and our massive OL should be enough blocking. When we play 3 WR, 1 TE sets against a nickel the blocking will still be fine. It all depends on what we do with the #2 WR spot and making teams respect our pass game.

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Two DTs going in picks 1 and 2??? I don't see that. TE at #11? I'd hate that pick completely!!! There is alot I don't agree with in this draft, but some of the picks are ok...
They are both teams that need DTs and both Dorsey and Ellis are excellent players... why not.

I know you and DB dont like the Davis pick but think about it for a minute....

Davis would be a HUGE upgrade over Royal... how much of an upgrade would any other player be at our need positions? Taking Davis would instantly improve our offense and give us a legitimate threat in the middle of the field. He alone gives us another dimension to our offense.

I just cant say the same about any other player that we could take @ 11 for our needs.

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
All the reviews I have read on Davis say that he is en efficient to very good blocker. Really, thats all you need out of a receiving TE.

Thurm has a point, you dont really need a player like Davis to be a devastating blocker, Shockey, Winslow, Gates are probably decent blockers but not as good as Royal I bet.

When we play 2 TE sets having Royal, Davis and our massive OL should be enough blocking. When we play 3 WR, 1 TE sets against a nickel the blocking will still be fine. It all depends on what we do with the #2 WR spot and making teams respect our pass game.

Alot or reviews also said Ted Ginn ran good routes too coming out of school, Cameron did a very good job working with Ginn this season. Dont believe everything you read thats why I encourage you if you have the ability to go back and watch his games.

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
They are both teams that need DTs and both Dorsey and Ellis are excellent players... why not.

Davis would be a HUGE upgrade over Royal... how much of an upgrade would any other player be at our need positions? Taking Davis would instantly improve our offense and give us a legitimate threat in the middle of the field. He alone gives us another dimension to our offense.

I just cant say the same about any other player that we could take @ 11 for our needs.

We could take Carlson in Rd 4 and get a huge upgrade, thats not saying much at all

mysticsoto
01-08-2008, 10:33 AM

I am not unsure that Schouman will recover from his injury next year and elevate the play of our TEs. I would like to draft a good prospect TE and at the very least, replace Neufeld, but definitely not in the 1st rd!!! Davis is not better than the top WRs out there, and in your scenario, I'd prefer a top WR that can come in and instantly jump in as the #2 for us rather than a TE who will have occasional receptions. A #2 WR receives much more playing time and is a larger part of the offense. A good one could force defenses to cover him closer and help free up Lee Evans which is something needed also!

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Davis is not better than Bennett

Bone
01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
No love for Dan Connor??

Love for Malcolm Jenkins??

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Love for Malcolm Jenkins??
I have him going @ 7 already to New England...

eyedog
01-08-2008, 10:45 AM
They're not taking Davis at #11 or any other t-end at 11.

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I am not unsure that Schouman will recover from his injury next year and elevate the play of our TEs. I would like to draft a good prospect TE and at the very least, replace Neufeld, but definitely not in the 1st rd!!! Davis is not better than the top WRs out there, and in your scenario, I'd prefer a top WR that can come in and instantly jump in as the #2 for us rather than a TE who will have occasional receptions. A #2 WR receives much more playing time and is a larger part of the offense. A good one could force defenses to cover him closer and help free up Lee Evans which is something needed also!
That has been the main problem with the Bills,,, we keep drafting prospects for a position that has been horrible for 15 years....

Tim Euhus was supposed to be a prospect also,,,, we need a playmaker... Davis is gives us that....

justasportsfan
01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
They're not taking Davis at #11 or any other t-end at 11.
unless he's as good or better than Davis of the 9'ers?

eyedog
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
They can get a similar t-end in the 3rd of they want.
But then again this is the Bills so nothing would shock me.

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Not what I said in the least. I said I don't care about his blocking if his threat as a receiver is on par with Say a Gates or Winslow. Are either of them good blockers? NO.

Vernon Davis was in the top 10 and he can't block so don't tell me blocking is a huge thing when drafting game breaking tight ends.

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Exactly!

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
They can get a similar t-end in the 3rd of they want.
But then again this is the Bills so nothing would shock me.
Everett was a similar TE in the third. Just saying.

TE has been a huge problem for us for YEARS!

don137
01-08-2008, 11:02 AM
TE is too deep in the draft IMO to take one at #11. Very good mock though.

I also do not see Carolina taking a DE in round #1 unless they cut/trade Peppers (16MM salary next year for a guy produced 3 sacks this year). They drafted Charles Johnson in the third round last year as the heir apparent to Rucker and have Stanley McGlover off the bench. They need safety, LB, WR and OL help (both starting tackles are FAs).

Night Train
01-08-2008, 11:02 AM
No way in hell would I pass over Laurenitis for a TE, which has plenty of depth into Rounds 3-4.

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Is MLB a bigger need that TE? I don't think its even close.

dannyek71
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
i hope we trade down

venis2k1
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Stopping the run is as big a need as any on this team. Laurenitis would help us do that.

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Stopping the run is as big a need as any on this team. Laurenitis would help us do that.
No DTs at 11?

Mahdi
01-08-2008, 11:35 AM
No DTs at 11?
I will be doing a mock for the second round,,,, For the first round im almost certain that Dorsey and Ellis will be gone,, after that there is no one good enough for the 11 pick.

In the second round however Kentwan Balmer is a good prospect, although he seems more suited to play DE in a 3-4. I also like Carleton Powell from VT in rd 2 or 3

patmoran2006
01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I dont see us taking a TE at #11 unless he's the next Antonio Gates or Jeremy Schockey.

Id be shocked if Jauron and his front office puppets would do that.

Devin
01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Frad Davis may barely crack the 1st round if he has a phenomenal combine. No TE in this draft is a 1st round TE, much less at 11.

I dont know where you read that he was either efficient or very good but Davis is a terrible blocker. Hes a 245 pound TE. There are RB's and FB's in this elague heavier then that.

The problem is when you talk about the Winslows, Gates, Shockeys, Davis....etc. They had physical attributes or aspects of thier game that were elite. Not just good, but blue-chip top notch....elite. There isnt a TE in this draft like that.

Fred Davis just started playing TE full time 2 years ago for crying out loud.

Dont get me wrong, TE is a need and I do like Davis. But spending a top half 1st round pick on him is assinine. Especially given our list of needs.

EDS
01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
If Ellis is gone then a trade down is far and away the best option for the Bills as things stand now. If not, as of now, I would take Rivers.

Devin
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
If Ellis is gone then a trade down is far and away the best option for the Bills as things stand now. If not, as of now, I would take Rivers.

Agree completley. Id look at Rivers/Connor but i wouldnt be dissapointed with a trade down or up for that matter.

ParanoidAndroid
01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm starting to think that Kenny Phillips could be the pick if he's still around.

:couch:

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Frad Davis may barely crack the 1st round if he has a phenomenal combine. No TE in this draft is a 1st round TE, much less at 11.

I dont know where you read that he was either efficient or very good but Davis is a terrible blocker. Hes a 245 pound TE. There are RB's and FB's in this elague heavier then that.

The problem is when you talk about the Winslows, Gates, Shockeys, Davis....etc. They had physical attributes or aspects of thier game that were elite. Not just good, but blue-chip top notch....elite. There isnt a TE in this draft like that.

Dont get me wrong, TE is a need and I do like Davis. But spending a top half 1st round pick on him is assinine. Especially given our list of needs.

Your are incorrect my friend Martellus Bennett is the same kind of atheltic freak that Winslow, Gates, and Davis are, hell Rucker is too for that matter.

Bmax
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Way too high for Davis.. Limited Potential when compared to Bennett or Rucker..

Bmax

camelcowboy
01-08-2008, 11:55 PM
No Bennett?, Manningham said he's staying already On Rome today Michigan's new coach Rodiguez said he doesn't know what manningham is going to do yet.

YardRat
01-09-2008, 06:29 AM
They'll 'reach' for Kelly or Sweed at 11 and take a TE later.

Confused
01-09-2008, 07:21 AM
I hope laurenaitis falls that far. not likely tho. This draft is weird. 11 is a weird pick. so many possibilities, nothing blatantly obvious. Unless a top five player falls to us, everything seems like a reach.
I think either Conner or Laurenaitis is the most logical pick if we dont trade up or down. Maybe Sweed......or Kelly............

The speculators are gonna have a field day the next 3 and a half months.

DraftBoy
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
On Rome today Michigan's new coach Rodiguez said he doesn't know what manningham is going to do yet.

Rich Rodriguez needs to learn to read the Detroit Free Press then;

“I’m going back, Manningham told the Associated Press, in an article published after the Capital One Bowl. “I want to get my degree.”

When a reporter told the receiver he seemed to be joking, Manningham didn't back down.

"I'm being for real," Manningham said.

camelcowboy
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Rich Rodriguez needs to learn to read the Detroit Free Press then;
Never doubted you but from the tone of the interview he doesnt seem to have his finger on the pulse of his under classmens intentions. So maybe he is still playing catch up.

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Hey you are probably right on the draft grade but I will not back off the point that blocking is irrelevant in regards to game changing pass catching TEs

Maybe we trade down then.

DraftBoy
01-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Never doubted you but from the tone of the interview he doesnt seem to have his finger on the pulse of his under classmens intentions. So maybe he is still playing catch up.

Ohh I never thought you were, just showing my source (sorry habit)

Im sure Rodriguez is aware he just may not be trying to show all his cards

yordad
01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
So, you leave plenty of good tightend available for the 2nd Rd after have the Bills take one in the 1st. Then You say WR is the Bills biggest need and have most of the top prospects gone by the 2nd.

I hope you are wrong. But, I think it was very informative, and I appreciate the work you have done.

tampabay25690
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM

He is definitely coming OUT!!!!

Mahdi
01-10-2008, 09:04 AM

First of all...

Davis is 255 pounds not 245.... he is the same size as Gates who is 6'4 260.

Second, Gates didnt play TE till he got to the NFL and Gates isn't even that fast to begin with. He is good at positioning himself for the ball and he has soft hands. What I see from Davis is similar,, he uses his size well, has soft hands and is good at finding soft spots in defenses. He has that playmaker aspect of TE that we need.

And the other thing is that where we pick in the draft wont allow us to take a top notch player to fill our needs other than TE.

DEs will be gone, and 11 is too high for any receiver... 11 might seem like a stretch for Davis but his impact on the Bills offense will justify the pick.

Looking back if anyone had any idea that Gates was going to be what he is every team in the NFL would have given up a top 10 pick for him.

Mahdi
01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I hope laurenaitis falls that far. not likely tho. This draft is weird. 11 is a weird pick. so many possibilities, nothing blatantly obvious. Unless a top five player falls to us, everything seems like a reach.
I think either Conner or Laurenaitis is the most logical pick if we dont trade up or down. Maybe Sweed......or Kelly............

The speculators are gonna have a field day the next 3 and a half months.
Thats exactly why in the end all I could logically choose was Davis,,,, Didnt feel like any other player left on the board would have as big an impact as he would.

Good Points!

THATHURMANATOR
01-10-2008, 10:04 AM
If we are focusing on a tight end and this Davis isn't a #11 talent lets trade down.

Devin
01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
First of all...

Davis is 255 pounds not 245.... he is the same size as Gates who is 6'4 260.

Second, Gates didnt play TE till he got to the NFL and Gates isn't even that fast to begin with. He is good at positioning himself for the ball and he has soft hands. What I see from Davis is similar,, he uses his size well, has soft hands and is good at finding soft spots in defenses. He has that playmaker aspect of TE that we need.

And the other thing is that where we pick in the draft wont allow us to take a top notch player to fill our needs other than TE.

DEs will be gone, and 11 is too high for any receiver... 11 might seem like a stretch for Davis but his impact on the Bills offense will justify the pick.

Looking back if anyone had any idea that Gates was going to be what he is every team in the NFL would have given up a top 10 pick for him.

You are incorrect Fred Davis is 244lbs.

Antonio Gates is almost a full 20 pounds heavier then Davis and is probably the best athlete at the position in all of football. His original workout attracted like 20 teams and the very first one was the chargers, they signed him immediatley.

Pointing to previous feel good stories at the position doesnt make every TE in the draft a "well if Gates did it...." type story. As ive stated before premier TE's in the NFL have certain aspects of their game that are elite. Davis doesnt. Now ill grant you hes quite good and could eventually be THAT guy, but as of now hes a ways off.

Again I dont argue his value as a pass catching threat. He no question is a solid receiver. My argument was primarily the position. Fred Davis may BARELY work his way into the 1st round with a phenomenal combine (and it would have to be).

As far as our pick position we have plenty of needs other then TE we could fill there. You are basing your assumption of projections over 4 months out. We have no idea what will happen in April.

Mahdi
01-11-2008, 07:49 AM
You are incorrect Fred Davis is 244lbs.

Antonio Gates is almost a full 20 pounds heavier then Davis and is probably the best athlete at the position in all of football. His original workout attracted like 20 teams and the very first one was the chargers, they signed him immediatley.

Pointing to previous feel good stories at the position doesnt make every TE in the draft a "well if Gates did it...." type story. As ive stated before premier TE's in the NFL have certain aspects of their game that are elite. Davis doesnt. Now ill grant you hes quite good and could eventually be THAT guy, but as of now hes a ways off.

Again I dont argue his value as a pass catching threat. He no question is a solid receiver. My argument was primarily the position. Fred Davis may BARELY work his way into the 1st round with a phenomenal combine (and it would have to be).

As far as our pick position we have plenty of needs other then TE we could fill there. You are basing your assumption of projections over 4 months out. We have no idea what will happen in April.
Actually the best athlete at TE in all of football is Kellen Winslow. He is 6'4 248. We can list weights of players that are good and bad all day,,,, doesnt matter.

Davis is currently the highest rated TE, of course anything can happen between now and draft day especially considering there is still the senior bowl, the combine and pro-days. Obviously my selection of Davis is based on now. And right now IMO, Davis would have the most impact on our team than taking anyone else left on the board. Sure we could take Keith Rivers or Dan Connor but in a scheme where OLBs are interchangeable I dont see them using an 11th overall pick on one. Same goes for CB. Who does that leave?