PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Dorsey's #1 pick in question...

mysticsoto
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Despite the news below, I'm no longer sure that Miami is a lock to take Glenn Dorsey anyway as their #1. Parcells has cleaned house over there and depending on how he sees Beck, they might go a different route and take a top QB to be their future franchise QB...

Dorsey’s Knee Could Affect Draft Status

While the senior Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174923&Q_SEASON=2006) is seemingly the front-runner to be the first overall pick in April’s N.F.L. draft, his stock could be impacted by a right knee injury that he sustained earlier this season.

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Dorsey strained the knee during an Oct. 20 game against Auburn after enduring a chop block (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqiLlOybz9s)and was hampered by it the rest of the season. Yet he still won Nagurski Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and Lott Award this season.

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive and an analyst for nfl.com, said he expected Dorsey’s knee to be heavily scrutinized by N.F.L. team doctors at the N.F.L. combine in February.

Dorsey could find himself in a draft situation similar to Minnesota Vikings tailback Adrian Peterson (http://www.nfl.com/players/adrianpeterson/profile?id=PET260705), Brandt said. Many believed Peterson was the best prospect in last year’s N.F.L. draft, but he was selected seventh over all because he was coming off a broken collarbone and had been hampered by injuries his previous two seasons.

“I would imagine that there’s some concern with his knee,” Brandt said of Dorsey in a telephone interview. “The teams’ doctors, 25 of them might say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with this guy. He’s in great shape.’ Seven might say, ‘Well, I think he’s a risk.’”

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/dorseys-knee-could-affect-draft-status/

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 02:49 PM
He falls below 3 Ill be screaming for us to trade up for him

mysticsoto
01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
He falls below 3 Ill be screaming for us to trade up for him

I'd be happy if this somehow affected things enough for us to have Ellis fall to us, but there is no way. The more I think about it anyway, I would not want to risk the Jets or even worse, NE obtaining him! I think it would be great if Ellis is available at #8 to trade up with Baltimore, give them their 3rd back, and beat Cincinnati for him. If not, I am undecided about who I would draft at the #11 spot...

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd be happy if this somehow affected things enough for us to have Ellis fall to us, but there is no way. The more I think about it anyway, I would not want to risk the Jets or even worse, NE obtaining him! I think it would be great if Ellis is available at #8 to trade up with Baltimore, give them their 3rd back, and beat Cincinnati for him. If not, I am undecided about who I would draft at the #11 spot...

Agreed 100%

Devin
01-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah he looked just awful last night.

His knee injury was so significant it forced him out of the entire second half of the seas..........wait......nevermind.

If Dorsey doesnt go #1 it wont be becaue of his knee.

And DB's right if he falls to 3 or lower I will very much be screaming the same thing.

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah he looked just awful last night.

His knee injury was so significant it forced him out of the entire second half of the seas..........wait......nevermind.

If Dorsey doesnt go #1 it wont be becaue of his knee.

And DB's right if he falls to 3 or lower I will very much be screaming the same thing.

If he falls to 3 or lower Im driving up to OBD my damn self to call the ***** pick in

chernobylwraiths
01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I think there will be a lot of screaming if he drops. Hell, I'd look into trading up to get him.

mysticsoto
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
This has to be revisited now that Miami dumped almost their entire Oline...Could Jake Long be their 1st pick? So far, I'd say yes...

Dolphin moves could mean it'll be a Long draft

On Monday, Miami's new regime began what is the first of what is expected to be many waves of turning current Dolphins into former ones. In doing so, the team might have tipped off what it's thinking entering April's NFL (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21266.html#) draft. It appears that former offensive lineman and new head coach Tony Sparano isn't going to waste time molding a line in his image, and Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long might want to start looking for real estate in South Florida.

Four tackles were shown the door Monday by Miami general manager Jeff Ireland, including three who either played significant roles in 2007 or figured into the team's long-term plans during the recent past.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21266.html

DraftBoy
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
St. Louis could nab him but I think they'll go Chris Long which means he may fall to one of three teams vying for the #3 pick.

gr8slayer
02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
If we could land Long or Dorsey I would praise Ralph Wilson for the first time in my life.

jdbillsfan
02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
St. Louis could nab him but I think they'll go Chris Long which means he may fall to one of three teams vying for the #3 pick.

Even though they drafted Carriker last year?

gr8slayer
02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Even though they drafted Carriker last year?
Carriker is hurt and might miss a portion of training camp.

mysticsoto
02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Carriker could play DE or DT so they can really go either way in this case...

gr8slayer
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Carriker could play DE or DT so they can really go either way in this case...
That and honestly, can you ever have enough good DL or OL?

mysticsoto
02-13-2008, 07:55 AM
It makes it interesting though, b'cse if the Rams take Chris Long...who ends up with Dorsey? The Raiders maybe? Unfortunately, this is unlikely to help us in obtaining Sedrick Ellis - unless some teams pulled some surprise picks and let him fall to #8 for us to trade up and grab him before Cincy does...

I'm hating our #11 pick right about now. We are too low to pick the real player(s) that we need (DT/DE) and too high to pick the next plan b choice (WR). And for every idiot out there saying we should trade down - that's easier said than done...there has to be a player of high quality that has fallen and that a team is willing to pay extra for.

DraftBoy
02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
I really hate our posistion, we are too high for guys like DRC, andd Kelly. Too low for Ellis, Dorsey and the lot. Only pick that makes sense value wise is Rivers, I guess.

Mike13
02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
This has to be revisited now that Miami dumped almost their entire Oline...Could Jake Long be their 1st pick? So far, I'd say yes...

Dolphin moves could mean it'll be a Long draft

On Monday, Miami's new regime began what is the first of what is expected to be many waves of turning current Dolphins into former ones. In doing so, the team might have tipped off what it's thinking entering April's NFL (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21266.html#) draft. It appears that former offensive lineman and new head coach Tony Sparano isn't going to waste time molding a line in his image, and Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long might want to start looking for real estate in South Florida.

Four tackles were shown the door Monday by Miami general manager Jeff Ireland, including three who either played significant roles in 2007 or figured into the team's long-term plans during the recent past.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21266.html

Most of whom were backups, the only notable Lineman was LJ Shelton

Parcells has cleaned house over there and depending on how he sees Beck, they might go a different route and take a top QB to be their future franchise QB...

Ireland has said that he likes what he sees in Beck.

mysticsoto
02-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Most of whom were backups, the only notable Lineman was LJ Shelton

Ireland has said that he likes what he sees in Beck.

You lost like 3 of your Olinemen and your Oline wasn't good as it was. You lost a starting DT (yes, I know he was getting on w/age - nevertheless, it's a loss) and you are trying to get Trent Green in on the cheap (which I'm going to assume you will be able to). You have not resigned Cleo Lemon either.

None of that means anything except that you guys will likely be active in FA and that there's a chance that you will go after Jake Long with your 1st pick instead of Glenn Dorsey.

And I'll be happy with that!

kernowboy
02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Carney did go at LT and its possible that Sparano will have a look at Flozell Adams.

The GM Jeff Ireland has a history of using high draft picks on the defensive front 7 and low picks on the OL.

Dorsey is more an UT in a 4-3 so if the Dophins stay where they are I think the 1st pick will either be CHRIS LONG or ELLIS who can play NT in a 3-4

Expecting it to be Long, I think Ellis will go at 2, McFadden at 3 as they can expect to draft a QB like Woodson in R2, leaving Dorsey to go to the Raiders at 4, and Jake Long to replace McIntosh in KC

so

1. Dolphins .. Chris Long or Ellis ... either upgrade NT or DE
2. Rams ... Ellis or Chris Long ... Glover won't last long, nor Hall (3sacks)
3. Falcons ... McFadden RB a upgrade over Norwood
4. Raiders ... Dorsey UT replacing Sapp
5. Chiefs .... Jake Long LT

Rivers would be a huge reach at 11 ... hell Poz was a better option at 12 last year than Rivers at 11 - we are better off trying to do what we did in 2001 - trade down from 14 to the 20s and get an extra R2 pick

DraftBoy
02-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Carney did go at LT and its possible that Sparano will have a look at Flozell Adams.

The GM Jeff Ireland has a history of using high draft picks on the defensive front 7 and low picks on the OL.

Dorsey is more an UT in a 4-3 so if the Dophins stay where they are I think the 1st pick will either be CHRIS LONG or ELLIS who can play NT in a 3-4

Expecting it to be Long, I think Ellis will go at 2, McFadden at 3 as they can expect to draft a QB like Woodson in R2, leaving Dorsey to go to the Raiders at 4, and Jake Long to replace McIntosh in KC

so

1. Dolphins .. Chris Long or Ellis ... either upgrade NT or DE
2. Rams ... Ellis or Chris Long ... Glover won't last long, nor Hall (3sacks)
3. Falcons ... McFadden RB a upgrade over Norwood
4. Raiders ... Dorsey UT replacing Sapp
5. Chiefs .... Jake Long LT

Rivers would be a huge reach at 11 ... hell Poz was a better option at 12 last year than Rivers at 11 - we are better off trying to do what we did in 2001 - trade down from 14 to the 20s and get an extra R2 pick

How do you figure Rivers is a huge reach? Also with Atlanta just ditching one bad boy super athlete in Vick why would they take McFadden given how deep the RB class is. They'll take Jake Long.

kernowboy
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
How do you figure Rivers is a huge reach? Also with Atlanta just ditching one bad boy super athlete in Vick why would they take McFadden given how deep the RB class is. They'll take Jake Long.

Rivers is a huge reach as LB is not a massive need for us compared to other positions DT/WR/TE/CB/DE .... I reckon ironically he won't fall beyond Cincinatti at 9 who will step in for him

Its without doubt McFadden won't fall beyond the Raiders

So Falcons will either go for Dorsey or Jake Long with the Chiefs picking up whoever doesn't go at 3.

Baltimore will go for a QB, NYJ for either Gholston or Harvey with the Pats taken whoever is left, and the Saints taking a CB

That leaves us taking a WR or CB.

Personally I'd trade down and get a DT as there will be decent LBs if really required in R2, (Highsmith and Alibi) and we can also pick up a big WR with the extra pick

or .. trade down, grab Dan Connor, use our 2nd rounder for a DT and have the extra pick for a WR

No11 is an awful spot as nothing stands out unless a QB falls and we don't need one of those .... yet

Devin
02-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey I hope this is true, id love to even have a chance at trading up.

Dorsey looked horrific while stomping the piss out of OSU, guy was completley ineffective his knee looked terrible. :rolleyes:

Bling
02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
You lost like 3 of your Olinemen and your Oline wasn't good as it was.

Last year:
LT - Vernon Carey (under contract)
LG - Chris Liwenski
C - Samson Satele (under contract)
RG - Rex Hadnot (UFA)
RT - LJ Shelton (released)

Show me where we've lost signficant players to . Anthony Alabi? I'm sure there are plenty of 5th round OTs that had more potential than that bum.

You lost a starting DT (yes, I know he was getting on w/age - nevertheless, it's a loss)

You sure you're not desperate when you say Keith Traylor (38, I believe) is a loss?

None of that means anything except that you guys will likely be active in FA and that there's a chance that you will go after Jake Long with your 1st pick instead of Glenn Dorsey.

Does anyone really believe Glenn Dorsey is going to fall from 1 to 11? Don't give me Brady Quinn. Nobody passes him up once he gets past 5 in this draft.

TigerJ
02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
No Glenn Dorsey is not going to drop to #11, but if Miami does not take Dorsey, the permutations (I saw that word in Draft Tek's web site) that follow could mean a player Buffalo is not expecting could be available. A lot of mocks have Cincinnati picking Keith Rivers at #9. They need a DT too. If Dorsey drops, maybe Ellis or Dorsey is available at #9, and that frees up Rivers for Buffalo at #11.

mysticsoto
02-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Last year:
LT - Vernon Carey (under contract)
LG - Chris Liwenski
C - Samson Satele (under contract)
RG - Rex Hadnot (UFA)
RT - LJ Shelton (released)

Show me where we've lost signficant players to . Anthony Alabi? I'm sure there are plenty of 5th round OTs that had more potential than that bum.

You sure you're not desperate when you say Keith Traylor (38, I believe) is a loss?

Does anyone really believe Glenn Dorsey is going to fall from 1 to 11? Don't give me Brady Quinn. Nobody passes him up once he gets past 5 in this draft.

Toledo was supposed to be a main guy for you. Yeah, he wasn't starting b'cse the bum was hurt and has been hurt a great deal which is why he got dumped. I hope you don't believe that you all of a sudden have a great line with what you list up there. Your Center might be the only guy worth anything...Houck seemed to reshuffle the Oline twice a year trying to desperately get something out of them. And even with that, they might have overachieved last year.

Keith Traylor, despite being 38, was one of your best DTs. You'll have to hope that Paul Solilai steps up if you don't take Dorsey. You'll also be needing serious help in your secondary, not to mention a few WRs and a real TE also.

You can become FTP and pretend that next year you will have a winning team (like he hilariously thought last year) - it doesn't mean everybody is going to be foolish enough to agree with you.

TigerJ
02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Solilai is actually very athletic. He was a big time underachiever in college.

DraftBoy
02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Solilai is actually very athletic. He was a big time underachiever in college.

Solilai is a guy I really wanted us to pick up. He's a very underrated DT, Lt and I had a good discussion about him after the draft last year.

mysticsoto
03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Parcells really looking at Ryan? Or blowing smokescreen??? With Parcells, you never know:

SI.com's Peter King reports Dolphins VP of football operations Bill Parcells recently contacted Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski, asking for "video of every one of Matt Ryan's 654 passes last fall."
King cautions to not read too far into this and believes Atlanta at No. 3 makes the most sense for Ryan. Parcells is just doing his due diligence. Still, the Dolphins' signing of several free agent linebackers and rumored shopping of Jason Taylor may indicate they're not necessarily sold on Chris Long.

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Rivers is a huge reach as LB is not a massive need for us compared to other positions DT/WR/TE/CB/DE .... I reckon ironically he won't fall beyond Cincinatti at 9 who will step in for him

Its without doubt McFadden won't fall beyond the Raiders

So Falcons will either go for Dorsey or Jake Long with the Chiefs picking up whoever doesn't go at 3.

Baltimore will go for a QB, NYJ for either Gholston or Harvey with the Pats taken whoever is left, and the Saints taking a CB

That leaves us taking a WR or CB.

Personally I'd trade down and get a DT as there will be decent LBs if really required in R2, (Highsmith and Alibi) and we can also pick up a big WR with the extra pick

or .. trade down, grab Dan Connor, use our 2nd rounder for a DT and have the extra pick for a WR

No11 is an awful spot as nothing stands out unless a QB falls and we don't need one of those .... yet

I enjoy the idea of trading down.. If we could get a pick towards the end of the first round, while picking up another 2nd rounder we would be in good shape.

Rd1.) Early Doucet, WR, LSU ( Big physical WR and has natural hands. )
Rd2a.) Calais Campbell, DE, Miami ( Add a DE who can rush the passer and stop the run. Campbell is a freak and the upside is enormous. )
Rd2b.) Terrell Thomas, CB, USC ( Enough of the scrawny CB's. Thomas has good size, speed and is physical, what more do you need? )
Rd3.) Chad Rinehart, OG, Northern Iowa ( This guy will push Butler for the RG position and most likely win the competition, would also be a good insurance policy incase Dockery gets hurt. )
Rd4.) Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee ( Add a pig athletic TE to the mix. )
Rd5.) Marcus Griffin, S, Texas ( Due to a sub-par 40 time he falls to us here. He would see the field in certain coverage and zone schemes.)