PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's BCS Game (sorta Bills related)

patmoran2006
01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I haven't watched nearly the college ball I have in recent years. I did watch the Championship game last night with my eyes on a few specific players.

I can't even remember how to spell his name, but the all-american LB from Ohio State (#33) didn't impress me much at all. He got schooled in coverage. Isn't he projected to be a high pick? Based on last night, I don't like him.

That DIckson kid from LSU (Tight end) sure looks like the kind of tight end we can use. Any of you college guys know more about him and where he's projected?

And the Malcomb Kelly CB from Ohio State is the real deal. I dont need to be an expert to conclude he's a top 10 pick. He's probably gone before Buffalo drafts, not that I'd advocate a CB that early for Buffalo in the draft, just like I was against last year with Reevis.

Devin
01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I haven't watched nearly the college ball I have in recent years. I did watch the Championship game last night with my eyes on a few specific players.

I can't even remember how to spell his name, but the all-american LB from Ohio State (#33) didn't impress me much at all. He got schooled in coverage. Isn't he projected to be a high pick? Based on last night, I don't like him.

That DIckson kid from LSU (Tight end) sure looks like the kind of tight end we can use. Any of you college guys know more about him and where he's projected?

And the Malcomb Kelly CB from Ohio State is the real deal. I dont need to be an expert to conclude he's a top 10 pick. He's probably gone before Buffalo drafts, not that I'd advocate a CB that early for Buffalo in the draft, just like I was against last year with Reevis.

Dickinson is a sophmore. Hes not coming out.

Malcolm Jenkin's INT came on a busted route from a freshman WR, he didnt do anything special and was burned by LSU WR's all night. The kid ran in when he should have ran out and the ball was already out Flynn's hand. All he had to do was catch it, and even that he about screwed up almost fumbling away the catch.

In fact it was Jenkins more then once that got bowled over by LSU RB's for 3rd down conversions. No thanks, why that guy was ever thought to be a 1st round pick is beyond me.

If anything id say every player on the defensive side of the ball for osu just dropped significantly. Hester made everyone of those guys his ***** all night.

eyedog
01-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Malcom Kelly playing d-back ???

patmoran2006
01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
meant Jenkins.

Well, OSU is one of the few teams I watch a lot (considering I dont like them I dont know why) but that CB is going to be a high draft pick, bad game last night or not.

As for the LB #33, he seemed lost as hell. Now isn't he considered a high draft pick prospect? I havent even LOOKED at a single mock draft yet.

hydro
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
33 Laurinaitis, James LB

Devin
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes as far as a grade goes ive heard he grades out just below where Hawk did a few years ago.

acattack15
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Howd Highsmith do th LB on LSU????

Devin
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Highsmith was pretty solid, I believe it was his big knock on Boeckmen that caused the fumble LSU used to take the lead. All those LSU defenders were wreaking havoc all night.

Scumbag College
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
33 Laurinaitis, James LB

I have three words for Laurinitis:

Andy Katzenmoyer

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I have three words for Laurinitis:

Andy Katzenmoyer
Where is the third word?

jpdex12
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Highsmith was pretty solid, I believe it was his big knock on Boeckmen that caused the fumble LSU used to take the lead. All those LSU defenders were wreaking havoc all night.

I thought that Highsmith's only big play was the hit on Boekman. He was average most of the night. It appeared that Laurinaitis looked average because the OSU DT's were getting blown up. At least he was in on a lot of tackes and attacked the gaps rather then pulling a Fletcher and tackling down field. He didn't drop more than a few picks in my book. He will build the hype back up at the combine.

As far as Malcom Kelly (hehe)...Malcomb jenkins sucked and hurt his draft status bad in that game. He had an easy INT and got toasted on that endzone corner route that the sophmore from LSU scored on in the first half. He didn't show me anything impressive in that game at all. He's no Winfield in run support!

Highsmith was OK. Don't see him moving himself out of the mid to upper second round. Dorsey is a FORCE!

The TE Dickson from LSU had a nice game but he's no standout. He was in the right place in the right time on some well called plays. Tell him he had a nice game and wish him luck with his future career in Interdisciplinary Studies.

Devin
01-08-2008, 11:54 PM
I thought that Highsmith's only big play was the hit on Boekman. He was average most of the night. It appeared that Laurinaitis looked average because the OSU DT's were getting blown up. At least he was in on a lot of tackes and attacked the gaps rather then pulling a Fletcher and tackling down field. He didn't drop more than a few picks in my book. He will build the hype back up at the combine.

Disagree. Mainly because I think thats exactly what he did. Hester ran right at him all night and won every time. He was in on a lot of tackles, however pulling a fletcher is exactly what he did. He was able to stop Hester every time after the first down.

As far as Malcom Kelly (hehe)...Malcomb jenkins sucked and hurt his draft status bad in that game. He had an easy INT and got toasted on that endzone corner route that the sophmore from LSU scored on in the first half. He didn't show me anything impressive in that game at all. He's no Winfield in run support!

Agreed 100%. Course I never much thought he was 1st round talent to begin with. Jenkins stock is going to drop heavily.

Highsmith was OK. Don't see him moving himself out of the mid to upper second round. Dorsey is a FORCE!

The TE Dickson from LSU had a nice game but he's no standout. He was in the right place in the right time on some well called plays. Tell him he had a nice game and wish him luck with his future career in Interdisciplinary Studies.

Dickinson is only a sophmore. And call me silly but id think being in the right place at the right time would be part of his job. Hes no all american but give him two more years.

Dorsey just proved what everyone knew all along. Absolute STUD DT.

Id agree Highsmith is a 2nd rounder. But he was a big reason such pressure was kept on Boeckmen all night. Course hes done that all year long.

LtFinFan66
01-09-2008, 12:00 AM
So Devin, you seem to be knocking all the defensive Buckeyes(with good reason) but what do you think of Beanie Wells??

Devin
01-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Wells had a rough game. Apart his big run, after the first quarter didnt he average something like 2 ypc? At any rate that said Wells was the best player on the field for OSU and Miles said all week thats who they had to gameplan for.

Wells has everything you look for in a RB. Great intangibles for the next level.

Hopefully ill get to see him play more next season but certainly hes a very talented young RB. He and moreno for Georgia are gonna be fun to watch next season.

LtFinFan66
01-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Wells had a rough game. Apart his big run, after the first quarter didnt he average something like 2 ypc? At any rate that said Wells was the best player on the field for OSU and Miles said all week thats who they had to gameplan for.

Wells has everything you look for in a RB. Great intangibles for the next level.

Hopefully ill get to see him play more next season but certainly hes a very talented young RB. He and moreno for Georgia are gonna be fun to watch next season.Actually he averaged 4.2 per carry taking out his 65 yard run. He definitely has the skill set to be a good NFL back.

Devin
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Actually he averaged 4.2 per carry taking out his 65 yard run. He definitely has the skill set to be a good NFL back.

Well I meant after the first quarter or so but either way I agree.

He has a great frame and really can be tough to bring down.

LtFinFan66
01-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Do you think Hester plays on Sundays?? He holds onto the football which is always a good thing

Devin
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Do you think Hester plays on Sundays?? He holds onto the football which is always a good thing

Hester will certainly go to the NFL.

Hes reliable, never fumbles and is tough as nails. Great at picking up short yardage.

That said he isnt a starting NFL RB anywhere. He maybe a borderline change of pace type #2 back.

Hester by some scouting reports translates to a FB.

At any rate to answer your question, yes. But very likely as a role player. Bu having seen him play I can see him contributing nicely to the right team. Nothing but character.

LtFinFan66
01-09-2008, 12:53 AM
I think most any team would find him a role to play:up:

LifetimeBillsFan
01-09-2008, 02:57 AM
I agree that James Laurinaitis did not have his best game by any means against LSU, but he has had some very good ones since becoming a starter as a freshman. Scouts won't judge his overall talent/value based on one game and I don't either. A lot of draft sites that I have looked at recently have him going at # 7 to the Pats with the pick that they got from San Francisco. Yes, he may turn out to be an Andy Katzenmoyer, but he may alsoturn out to be an AJ Hawk (who also had a bad performance in a big game the year he came out).

I was also very disappointed by Malcolm Jenkins' performance as well. Because of his size and speed (something that a lot of teams are looking for with all of the big WRs in the NFL), a lot of draft sites/scouts have had him very highly rated, with some tabbing him as possibly going to the Bills (particularly before their late losses moved them up to the # 11 pick). Personally, I have some concerns about this Jenkins because he has played primarily in a Cover 2 at Ohio State and has been uneven in the games that I have seen him in over the last two seasons. With the Bills' penchant for taking OSU DBs over the years, I could see the Bills possibly taking Malcolm Jenkins if they choose to go CB simply because he would already know the system. But, that worries me because I'm not sure if he would match up as well against big-time receivers in man-to-man coverage--which is what I think the Bills need from a CB if they are going to draft one early on--and I have seen better man-cover corners this year in college ball (I love Mike Jenkins from S.Florida--LSU's Chevous Jackson might be an interesting pick if the Bills wait to until Round 3 to tab a CB).

Did anyone see Vernon Gholston on the field against LSU? Except for the one play where he came off coverageon the FB to pressure Flynn in the first half, he played like his picture was on the side of a milk carton. I have seen him going in the Top 10 on more than a few draft sites and some have mentioned him as a possibility for the Bills, but I'm not sure that he is even the next coming of Will Smith. I've seen him have some good games, but I wonder if he will end up being that much better as a pro than Derrick Harvey (yes, Gholston is 6'3 1/2, 260, but Harvey at 6'4", 247 is not too small to play DE in the type of scheme that the Bills play, especially if he added 10 lbs.) or Calais Campbell (who hasn't been as productive in college, but is a physical specimen at 6'7", 256).

I don't think Ali Highsmith had a bad game against OSU, but I don't think he had a great game, either. Part of that could have been the fact that LSU's DT played so well. With Posluzny coming back next season and their more obvious needs at WR and on the D-line, I just don't see the Bills taking a LB early on in this year's draft, so I haven't followed Highsmith that closely this season. From what I have seen of him, I think he is good, but I also think that he can get caught out of position at times: I know that is what happened on Chris Wells big run in the 1st quarter the other night (it was Highsmith's play from the backside and he took the wrong angle through the hole vacated by the pulling guard and missed getting Wells in the backfield), although he did a better job on that play a couple of times later in the game.

I think that Chris (Beanie) Wells could be an excellent pro RB. Maybe not a guy who scares you to death anticipating what he might do when he gets the ball like A.Peterson (I see D.McFadden being that kind of RB, too), but rather a B.Jacobs kind of guy who will beat your defense to death and can break the long one. At lot of RBs, especially the bigger ones, who look great in college, don't have the speed to be a real home-run threat in the NFL. But, after watching Wells break big runs against Michigan and LSU--two teams that have speed on defense and players who will be playing in the NFL--I think that he has enough speed to pose the same kind of threat as Jacobs does.

Finally: at this time last year I was writing about how much I was hoping that the Bills could get Glenn Dorsey in last year's draft (and was very disappointed when he did not come out after his junior year). This year I am hoping against hope that somehow Miami will pass on him and some team in the NFC other than Dallas will trade up to get him. If that doesn't happen, he could be a real thorn in the Bills' side for years to come. I have seen him play on the nose, at the 3-tech DT spot and also at DE for LSU, so he can play either DT spot in a 4 man line or play the NT spot in a 3 man line (especially if he bulks up a little), or play DE in a 3-4. If Parcells decides to have the Dolphins go exclusively with the 3-4, Dorsey could be their Richard Seymour. Not a pleasant prospect for Bills fans. So, hope and pray that Miami decides to trade down out of the # 1 spot for more picks or that Parcells suddenly goes insane and decides to pick someone--anyone--else.

tampabay25690
01-09-2008, 08:32 AM
33 Laurinaitis, James LB

I can't believe this guy won the BUTKUS....He will be a SAFTEY at best in the NFL he made alot of Tackles but were 5 yards down field already....He got pushed around 2 straight NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS and the BUCKEYES......

tampabay25690
01-09-2008, 08:35 AM

I agree with some of what you said...OHIO ST big 3 hurt themsleves again going into the draft......Just remember last year what it did to Pittman, and Troy SMith.....

Highsmith didnt do much in that game as well....Devin I know you will get mad when i say this but Ellis from USC is a better DT then DORSEY.......

TE from LSU will be a good pickup in the NFL he definitely helped himself in that game.......

tampabay25690
01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
So Devin, you seem to be knocking all the defensive Buckeyes(with good reason) but what do you think of Beanie Wells??

I think he will be up for the HEISMAN next year especially in there conference.....

If I was the coaches at OHIO ST give the ball to WELLS.........By far there best player. But for them to start beating the top teasm in COLLEGE you need speed on the outside, and OHIO ST does not have it at all!!!!!!!

colin
01-09-2008, 08:39 AM
guys,

you can't look at one game, even a championship game, and say how a guy will play in the NFL.

the db from OSU really does look like a first rounder, but so much comes down to the combine.

i know you get the odd guy who falls through the cracks, who was money in the ncaa but stumbled in the combine. the truth is tho that the majority of nfl studs tear up the combine.

also, players that dominate against top competition (like dorsey, or gains adams from last year) end up going top 5 or so.

imo if we can get our OLB and possibly DT in FA, we will take the best corner w our draft pick.

who we draft will depend in large part on who we sign.

DraftBoy
01-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Lt-Wells reminds me an absolute ton of Jamal Leiws (or as LTBF pointed out Brandon Jacobs), he has deceptive speed and great size. He'll be a 1st Rounder in a year or two without a doubt

Jenkins-Really looked poor in the title game, he's had better games for sure, he's a low 1st Rounder who needs a good combine to cement his 1st Round status, he is in no way a top 15 pick imo.

Lauranitis-A lot of hype around this kid, I honestly think he needs another year of schooling and needs to get stronger, he looked a little weak at the POA v. Hester, like Devin mentioned. I dont think Im ready to call him a Katzenmoyer, yet.

Gholston-Like Harvey of Florida some games he's a beast some he's not, he also could use to stay another year. He's a scary physical specimen but he needs time to get his game in stride with how big he is.

Highsmith-A solid combine will cement him as a 2nd Round pick

Dorsey-All Questions Answered

Hester-Next Mike Alstott maybe?

colin
01-09-2008, 09:20 AM
i don't know if gholston is long enough to be a top DE in the nfl.

even our much maligned guys are an inch or two taller and have longer arms.

tough to get past a guy you can't put your hands on.

Oaf
01-09-2008, 03:17 PM

Agreed, Jenkins played very poorly that game. I'll pass unless he drops significantly.

Ickybaluky
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Though LSU has a talent advantage on OSU, what struck me most about that game was LSU being much better prepared. LSU was much more creative on offense, using motion and opening things up more. The OSU defense looked confused a lot, and I think that is a direct result of preparation. I think that was a much bigger difference than the talent level, which was closer than it appeared.

Personally, I'd be careful to judge a player just on this one game. To me, this game spoke to the differences between the conferences as much as the talent. The SEC is more competitive right now. The Big Ten plays a softer schedule and doesn't have a conference title game. They looked surprised by LSU.

Thus, I'd think twice before downgrading a guy like Laurinaitis or Jenkins based on that game. Both look like they will be solid pros to me, and will be first round picks. Laurinaitis is a productive LB, is a good athlete, has a great frame and should get stronger with pro conditioning. Jenkins has the size speed to cover the bigger NFL WR, and he will be drafted in the top half of the first round, IMO.

Devin
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Though LSU has a talent advantage on OSU, what struck me most about that game was LSU being much better prepared. LSU was much more creative on offense, using motion and opening things up more. The OSU defense looked confused a lot, and I think that is a direct result of preparation. I think that was a much bigger difference than the talent level, which was closer than it appeared.

Personally, I'd be careful to judge a player just on this one game. To me, this game spoke to the differences between the conferences as much as the talent. The SEC is more competitive right now. The Big Ten plays a softer schedule and doesn't have a conference title game. They looked surprised by LSU.

Thus, I'd think twice before downgrading a guy like Laurinaitis or Jenkins based on that game. Both look like they will be solid pros to me, and will be first round picks. Laurinaitis is a productive LB, is a good athlete, has a great frame and should get stronger with pro conditioning. Jenkins has the size speed to cover the bigger NFL WR, and he will be drafted in the top half of the first round, IMO.

Isnt that exactly what your saying though? A guy plays like an all-world LB in his own weak conference but gets a dose of a superior team and is lost? Laurinaitis is of course a first rounder and no I wouldnt label him a bust based on this game. However I absolutley believe when you are essentially considered a blue-chip prospect win-or-lose you simply dont dissappear like he did.

Jenkins I never considered 1st round talent so thats probably a moot point. I suspect a great combine would keep him in the 1st, but as of now I just cant see the top half.

Id agree about the preperation but as far as talent levels go I respectfully disagree. Not in anyway saying OSU doesnt have talent or that they are a bad team. Im simply saying the talent gap between the two isnt a close one.

tampabay25690
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
guys,

you can't look at one game, even a championship game, and say how a guy will play in the NFL.

the db from OSU really does look like a first rounder, but so much comes down to the combine.

i know you get the odd guy who falls through the cracks, who was money in the ncaa but stumbled in the combine. the truth is tho that the majority of nfl studs tear up the combine.

also, players that dominate against top competition (like dorsey, or gains adams from last year) end up going top 5 or so.

imo if we can get our OLB and possibly DT in FA, we will take the best corner w our draft pick.

who we draft will depend in large part on who we sign.

Yea but happens all the time in the BIG 10 WHO DID OHIO ST actually play????

It sad but the talent in the Big TEN is a little different now.