PDA

View Full Version : McNally's parting shot

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
From Chris Brown's blog:

TALKED TO MCNALLY: Sitting and talking to McNally for 25 minutes it was evident to me that he still has a passion to coach. It's just that his body is telling him something else. It's not like the guy isn't in shape though. He's on the stairmaster for about an hour at a time about five days a week. But that shot he took in New England was brutal especially on a 64-year old body.

He told me if he ever did coach again it would have to be a job with a true contending team, using the Pats and Colts as an example.

I think he'll stay retired, but because he doesn't know if retired life will satisfy him I think he's a bit unsure.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

So is he retiring partly because he's tired of coaching on a loser team?

Jan Reimers
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Can you blame him?

jamesiscool
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
welp. just another show of what a class act the bills organization is.

mcnally is a very well respected coach league wide, and for him to say something like he wants to coach for a "contender" means that he even knows that the bills arent commited to winning.

justasportsfan
01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Can you blame him?

No, it's safer health wise.

Thing is a contending team won't need him anyways because they are already contenders. I would think they would promote from within for continuity.

blackonyx89
01-09-2008, 02:10 PM
From Chris Brown's blog:

No offense,but we fans thought Mouse was a genius and he can even make crappy O-Line into a golden one. I guess not.

raphael120
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
If football was a dining industry, the Pats would be the nice fancy exclusive restaurant owned by some famous French guy, and the Bills would be McDonalds.

It's the difference between working with respected chefs and burger flippers.

PIZ
01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Funny how the Giants crappy o-line became a top 5 line after he left. Makes you wonder.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
If football was a dining industry, the Pats would be the nice fancy exclusive restaurant owned by some famous French guy, and the Bills would be McDonalds.

It's the difference between working with respected chefs and burger flippers.
F French food. I love McDonald's.

Jeff1220
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I think you guys are looking into the comments to much. The guy has the type of injuries that many get when hit by a car. McNally is retiring. Period.
He said if he comes back it would have to be with a contender. In other words, the only thing that might drag him out of retirement once he's healthy, is a job with a contending team. Even Super Bowl winning players and coaches retire with that stance. It is in no way a reflection of the current club. If McNally didn't like being in Buffalo, he would've jumped ship when he had the chance after Mularkey quit.

mchurchfie
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
It's partially his fault that we aren't a contender.

Mahdi
01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
From Chris Brown's blog:

From his point of view this is what he sees....

For years he was coaching 0 talent and expected to produce a miracle,,,, Finally they bring in some players but theres constant fluctuation at QB and a general lack of talent on offense,,,, so the fruit of his labour goes un-noticed and coaching here becomes generally unfulfilling.

In reality though he probably knows that he has done all he can do for our OL and now its up to management to fill in the gaps on offense.

justasportsfan
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I would not be surprised if both he and Fairchild were given their walking papers by Dick .

Bert102176
01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I am glad he's gone our OL play hasn't been that great and he was suppose to be this wonder coach for the OL

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I would not be surprised if both he and Fairchild were given their walking papers by Dick .
You just love conspiracy theories don't you?

trapezeus
01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
that week 3 pats game really has given us a chance to actually turn our fortunes around. first trent, and now mcnally.

We might have to send flowers to the pats next year.

FlyingDutchman
01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Its the same reason people like Karl Malone and Gary Payton went to the Lakers. They know the end is near, and want one more shot to win it all. They dont have the time to tough it out and wait.

justasportsfan
01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
You just love conspiracy theories don't you?
why not? It's offeason for the bills :ill:

justasportsfan
01-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Linemen Surprised By McNally Retirement
I couldn't believe it," said Bills offensive lineman Jason Whittle. "I thought he was joking. I always figured 'Mouse' would just die on the field one of these days, not in the near future obviously. I figured he had a lot of years left in him. I know he still loves the game and it just came as a huge surprise to me."

Whittle, who has spent half his playing career under McNally, valued the veteran coach's expertise knowing it made him a better player.

"He meant everything to me," said Whittle whose season was cut short by a torn hamstring. "I was fortunate enough to play for him for five or six years. He has just helped my career immensely. He's unbelievable. He's got to be the best offensive line coach to ever coach in the game."

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5795

justasportsfan
01-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Bills cut back on zone blocking
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:20 PM ET | Link

BILLS CUT BACK ON ZONE BLOCKING: For those that continue to harp on the zone blocking that Buffalo's offensive line adopted this season, to set the record straight Buffalo's men up front only made use of it early in the season. McNally and Kugler eventually shifted away from that approach.

Here was McNally's response when I asked him how often they made use of the zone blocking scheme this past season.

“Occasionally," said McNally. "We started early in the year and by the end of the year we went to a little more double teams, pulling guards up into the hole. One of our better plays we’d run just to the split end side with the back either to Jason or Langston's side. We started some stretch like Denver early in the year, but we didn’t finish with that.”

McNally also stated that the run game is a product of everyone on offense with the exception of quarterback when it comes to blocking everything up, but he's confident they'll be more productive running the ball next season.

“The thing about it with the running game, people have to remember that tight ends are involved, fullbacks are involved and wide receivers are involved," he said. "It takes everybody involved in the running game to get the play moving. The running back obviously, the linemen, but again the tight ends, the wide receivers. I think that the Buffalo Bills will get this big offensive line going and get the plays going and I think everything will be fine.”

Jeff1220
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I honestly think some people here take any article and twist it into a reason to complain and trash the team. It's :bs:

Nighthawk
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
From Chris Brown's blog:

Exactly. I posted this in the McNally thread last night. I found it to be very interesting.

DMBcrew36
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
welp. just another show of what a class act the bills organization is.

mcnally is a very well respected coach league wide, and for him to say something like he wants to coach for a "contender" means that he even knows that the bills arent commited to winning.

Buffalo just doesn't have the money to furnish a winning team. It's the same old tired story. We can't spend to the cap on either of our teams. Players know this, coaches know this. It keeps Buffalo on the bottom of their lists of destinations they would like to be.

Typ0
01-10-2008, 05:35 PM

I thought that about Fairchild. I wish I knew because I'd be stronger behind DJ that's for sure. Telling someone they are going to need to find another job and giving them time to do it is the way to be a manager.