PDA

View Full Version : We could actually be in a perfect spot in the draft

Bone
01-10-2008, 06:15 AM
I might be wrong but don't we have one of the top 5 picks in round to or is that 3? If so we can grab a Defensive player in the 1st and Malcolm Kelly could be sitting there early in round 1.

But I think I'm wrong:oops:

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-10-2008, 06:51 AM
I might be wrong but don't we have one of the top 5 picks in round to or is that 3? If so we can grab a Defensive player in the 1st and Malcolm Kelly could be sitting there early in round 1.

Are you trying to say round two and not something really confusing? Never mind, the whole post is pretty confusing.

Mahdi
01-10-2008, 07:27 AM

We are picking 10th in round 2 and we have the 8th and 9th picks in round 3

Malcolm Kelly is going to have to do something special in the senior bowl and the combine to convince me he is a first rounder. I think what is happening here is that the WR class this year is very mediocre and Kelly is one of the best.

Bowman could be just as good or better and Sweed can be better than both,,, theres no clear cut #1 so far. IMO they should wait till the second round and see who is left. There should be a player that is not far from Kelly.

streetkings01
01-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Depending on FA and I know alot of you guys will disagree with me, but I say we take a CB at #12. I really think we need a big physical CB that we can match up one on one with the opposing teams top WR. I like that kid out of Ohio St., Jenkins - he has the size and speed to match up with any WR in the NFL, plus rookie CB's seem to be able to step in from day #1 and make an impact! We dont need a WR that takes 2-3 years to fully get a grasp of the pro game, we need an impact player @ pick #12 and those are CB and LB IMO.

Mahdi
01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Depending on FA and I know alot of you guys will disagree with me, but I say we take a CB at #12. I really think we need a big physical CB that we can match up one on one with the opposing teams top WR. I like that kid out of Ohio St., Jenkins - he has the size and speed to match up with any WR in the NFL, plus rookie CB's seem to be able to step in from day #1 and make an impact! We dont need a WR that takes 2-3 years to fully get a grasp of the pro game, we need an impact player @ pick #12 and those are CB and LB IMO.
Assuming we take care of things in FA I wouldnt mind taking Jenkins but here is the problem with that.

McGee is our #1 corner and he is usually covering the best receiver on the field. By taking Jenkins we would essentially be saying that we are not happy with McGee. As it is right now Greer is good enough to cover most #2s in the league so I dont see the benefit in taking Jenkins and slotting him into Greer's spot. If Jenkins is taken then that means he is coming to replace McGee and bumping Greer out of the line-up.

The other thing is that in the Cover 2 you really dont need to take a corner high. Our Cbs rarely play man to man so teaching a corner to play in the C2 is wiser than wasting a 1st rounder on one.

Oaf
01-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Ideally, we trade down, grab a downfield TE in the mid-late first, then trade back up to late 1st or early 2nd and grab one of those WRs at a more appropriate position.

TigerJ
01-10-2008, 08:07 AM
While I think one of Buffalo's biggest needs is a big physical receiver, I am concerned that 11 overall makes any one of the big guys (Kelly, Bowman, Hardy, Sweed) a reach, mean you end up overpaying the guy if you draft him there. If I were the Bills GM, I would at least make attempt to trade down, and if unable to do that, I might pick a player at another position who is higher on my draft board, and pick the guy that's left out of that group of 4 big receivers in the second round. I hink there's a good chance one of them will still be there in round two.

don137
01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
There is always some great talent available at #11. If it is not in a position of need then I agree we trade down. #11 is a great trading spot. High enough where there is great talent and low enough to not make ask for the farm so easlier to find a dance partner.

venis2k1
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Trade down and take Keith Rivers...Unless someone like Sedrick Ellis is there at 11, then i think we can all agree its a no brainer.

streetkings01
01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Assuming we take care of things in FA I wouldnt mind taking Jenkins but here is the problem with that.

McGee is our #1 corner and he is usually covering the best receiver on the field. By taking Jenkins we would essentially be saying that we are not happy with McGee. As it is right now Greer is good enough to cover most #2s in the league so I dont see the benefit in taking Jenkins and slotting him into Greer's spot. If Jenkins is taken then that means he is coming to replace McGee and bumping Greer out of the line-up.

The other thing is that in the Cover 2 you really dont need to take a corner high. Our Cbs rarely play man to man so teaching a corner to play in the C2 is wiser than wasting a 1st rounder on one.Thats all bs! If a Tampa2 teams dont need to take a CB high then how do you explain the Colts spending a 1st and 2nd rd pick in 2005 on CB's(Marlin Jackson & Tim Jennings) and spending a 2nd on a CB in 2005? Tony Dungy is the man who invented the Tampa2 so why is it that he took a CB high 2 years in a row? You do know that teams that play the Tampa2 dont play cover2 all the time right? If a good man2man CB isn't needed in a Tampa2 then why did we franchise Clements in 2006? We could've used that 7 million dollars and signed 2-3 CBs in 2006 to play zone!

Lone Stranger
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
The Bills are going defense first, aware they can pick up a decent receiver in round two. I believe a quality linebacker will be available early.

As an indication of how the Bills have fooled us the last couple of years, though, it will probably be an offensive guard of some mysterious, hitherto unknown, outstanding quality.

dannyek71
01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Trade down. Stock pile our picks. See if we can get an extra #1 next year. NE has been doing that same thing for years.

dannyek71
01-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Thats all bs! If a Tampa2 teams dont need to take a CB high then how do you explain the Colts spending a 1st and 2nd rd pick in 2005 on CB's(Marlin Jackson & Tim Jennings) and spending a 2nd on a CB in 2005? Tony Dungy is the man who invented the Tampa2 so why is it that he took a CB high 2 years in a row? You do know that teams that play the Tampa2 dont play cover2 all the time right? If a good man2man CB isn't needed in a Tampa2 then why did we franchise Clements in 2006? We could've used that 7 million dollars and signed 2-3 CBs in 2006 to play zone!

In theory, CBs are not as needed in the Tampa 2. The safetys + OLBs are more important. In theory.

Pinkerton Security
01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
i want a wr with our first pick, whether we trade down or whatever will remain to be seen. what if one of those top 3 WRs comes to the combine and runs a 4.25 or something crazy and shoots up the boards? A lot of stuff is gonna happen before the draft.

Jan Reimers
01-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see a WR and DT with our first 2 picks, and TE and DE in round 3. I just don't see the need for an OLB to be taken early, with Poz coming back to the middle and DiGiorgio being a candidate to compete with Ellison on the outside.

venis2k1
01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
If we were able to land a LB like Rivers, Laurinaitis, or Dan Connor, It would give Buffalo one of the elite trio of linebackers in the NFL.

Jan Reimers
01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
If we were able to land a LB like Rivers, Laurinaitis, or Dan Connor, It would give Buffalo one of the elite trio of linebackers in the NFL.
If we don't land a stud DT and a couple of receivers (WR and TE), it won't matter much how good our linebackers are.

Mahdi
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Thats all bs! If a Tampa2 teams dont need to take a CB high then how do you explain the Colts spending a 1st and 2nd rd pick in 2005 on CB's(Marlin Jackson & Tim Jennings) and spending a 2nd on a CB in 2005? Tony Dungy is the man who invented the Tampa2 so why is it that he took a CB high 2 years in a row? You do know that teams that play the Tampa2 dont play cover2 all the time right? If a good man2man CB isn't needed in a Tampa2 then why did we franchise Clements in 2006? We could've used that 7 million dollars and signed 2-3 CBs in 2006 to play zone!
Actually its not BS... I said you dont take one high... Marlin Jackson was taken at the bottom of the first and Jennings was taken at the bottom of the second...62nd overall to be exact. And the only reason Jackson was taken by the Colts at the bottom of the first was because he was supposed to be a top 15 pick but fell because of his timed speed. The Colts took him because there isnt a premium on elite speed in the C2.

Look at the Bears,,, Vasher was a 3rd rounder and Tillman was a second rounder. Its a known fact that CBs are interchangeable in the C2 and thats why we let Nate go,,, and thats why the Colts let David and Harper go.

bflojohn
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
First off, no one is seeing Malcolm Kelly in the Senior Bowl! Why, you ask? He is a Junior and they are NEVER invited to that game, Senior only! I would agree that #11 is going to be coveted by teams 5, 6, or 7 spots down, when an impact player they want is sitting right there. I do believe that unless Sedrick Ellis is right smack in front of them, then trade down becomes quite possible. Remember, panic from some organizations exists when a run on a certain position starts to formulate. It happens every year! The Bills might be right in the wheelhouse, where the safety from Miami (Kenny Phillips) might be available and he is thought to be the gem in an extremely weak crop of Safeties, just saying.....

casdhf
01-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Wasn't Jackson drafted to be a Safefty?

Confused
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

The other thing is that in the Cover 2 you really dont need to take a corner high. Our Cbs rarely play man to man so teaching a corner to play in the C2 is wiser than wasting a 1st rounder on one.

BS!!!! our corners ahve to play man coverage at least 30% of each game. And they suck at it. Rogers-Cromaterie in the 2nd is a safe bet.

my perfect draft is: RD 1 Dan Connor
RD 2 Rogers-Cromaterie
trade back into 2nd?
either way TE
RD2 or 3 Martelles Bennett

jamze132
01-11-2008, 09:55 AM

Who cares what McGee thinks? If we can draft a CB who is better right out of college, oh well...

Mahdi
01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Who cares what McGee thinks? If we can draft a CB who is better right out of college, oh well...
Im not talking about McGee's feelings here... all im saying is that McGee is a good #1 CB and Greer is a good #2 for our scheme... why do we need ot waste a high pick on a shut down type player? If we address our needs before the draft then I would be all for Jenkins as a luxury pick.

jamze132
01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Im not talking about McGee's feelings here... all im saying is that McGee is a good #1 CB and Greer is a good #2 for our scheme... why do we need ot waste a high pick on a shut down type player? If we address our needs before the draft then I would be all for Jenkins as a luxury pick.
I understand what you are trying to say, but I think McGee is a much better #2 and Greer is a much better nickel back. If we address the other needs in FA, then I would love to get the best CB available through the draft.