PDA

View Full Version : I'll tell you straight up.. (Part 2)

patmoran2006
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Discussing who the Bills may draft this year (with another solid draft positional pick) or who we may target via FA is fun, and it's also open for a lot of different opinion and debate.

However, can everyone PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE knock off the delusion that JP Losman is going to fetch a good return draft pick via trade.

Here is a newsflash.
1- He played his way OUT of starting job. He was no victim. It is HIS fault.

2. If you disagree with #1, that's fine. HOWEVER. Here is the number that matters. That number is ZERO. That is exactly how much leverage the Bills have. We've given EVERY indication that Edwards is our future, and Losman is now publicly saying (or his agent, whatever) that he WANTS out of Buffalo. Basically, EVERY team in the NFL already knows that Losman is a goner.

Translation: We'll probably get a 6th rounder for him, and we'd be fortunate to fetch anything better than a 5th.

He's no "hot commodity" He played TERRIBLE, he doesnt want to be here, and everybody knows that we're going with Edwards.

Take what you can get; sign a vet backup who may be able to "mentor" Edwards a bit during practice, and be done with him.

Nighthawk
01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Discussing who the Bills may draft this year (with another solid draft positional pick) or who we may target via FA is fun, and it's also open for a lot of different opnion and interpetration.

However, can everyone PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE knock off the delusion that JP Losman is going to fetch a good return draft pick via trade.

Here is a newsflash.

2. If you disagree with #1, that's fine. HOWEVER. Here is the number that matters. That number is ZERO. That is exactly how much leverage the Bills have. We've given EVERY indication that Edwards is our future, and Losman is now publicly saying (or his agent, whatever) that he WANTS out of Buffalo. Basically, EVERY team in the NFL already knows that Losman is a goner.

Translation: We'll probably get a 6th rounder for him, and we'd be fortunate to fetch anything better than a 5th.

He's no "hot commodity" He played TERRIBLE, he doesnt want to be here, and everybody knows that we're going with Edwards.

Take what you can get; sign a vet backup who may be able to "mentor" Edwards a bit during practice, and be done with him.

:bf1:

Oaf
01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Can't wait for you to tell us straight up again. (part 3) :::

Bling
01-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Agreed. No leverage. He had no value to begin with, plus everyone knows Edwards is the future.

HAMMER
01-10-2008, 10:20 PM
If it's a matter of a fifth or sixth, which I agree is the most likely outcome, then I keep him on the roster to play out his contract. He's a decent backup that knows the system already, why ditch him for a low round pick? We're only one hand banged on a helmet away from the backup playing. Who cares if he wants out, he signed the deal and he can honor his contract. I don't understand why people are so quick to want to move him.

feldspar
01-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for telling me how it is straight up.

However, I beg to differ.

There are at least 3 or 4 teams that will look at Losman to compete for the starting spot next year. There WILL be competition to nab him. The fact that we want to release him won't matter so much when there is competition to aquire him. This will raise his price.

It's not like nobody cares at all and whoever will just pick him up whenever we drop him. Teams like Baltimore, Kansas City, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Detriot, and Atlanta could all use a guy like Losman. Whatever you think about Losman, he is better than some of the other starting QBs in this league, which might not be saying much...but it still holds true.

There are many ways to view Losman, as we've all seen, being Bills fans. He's still young, and he's shown potential.

I think it's all-together possible to get a 3rd for him. If we can't get at least a third for him, I think we should seriously think about keeping him for the last year of his contract. I don't think he will jeopardize his future by making any waves whatsoever, especially considering the fact that nobody would give up even a third for him...if that happened to be the case.

Big name players cry "trade me or else" every year, and every year these same players are kept on the roster for that year. They shut the **** up because they know what's good for them.

Hard Nose Football
01-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Losman had a first round grade. Just like Yobouty.

THATHURMANATOR
01-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Discussing who the Bills may draft this year (with another solid draft positional pick) or who we may target via FA is fun, and it's also open for a lot of different opinion and debate.

Here is a newsflash.

I agree.

jimbohastle51
01-11-2008, 01:33 AM
i think we are better off trying to get a player for him instead of a draft pick. now a days players do not warrant high draft picks in trade unless its a pro bowler in his prime. i think an ideal value trade for JP could be like a Losman to minnesota for Ben Leber OLB. something like that. or Losman and our 6th round pick to atlanta for jonathan babeniaux DT

John Doe
01-11-2008, 05:29 AM
There are at least 3 or 4 teams that will look at Losman to compete for the starting spot next year. There WILL be competition to nab him. The fact that we want to release him won't matter so much when there is competition to aquire him. This will raise his price.

It's not like nobody cares at all and whoever will just pick him up whenever we drop him. Teams like Baltimore, Kansas City, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Detriot, and Atlanta could all use a guy like Losman. Whatever you think about Losman, he is better than some of the other starting QBs in this league, which might not be saying much...but it still holds true.

I think that this post is more reflective of the market.

YardRat
01-11-2008, 05:32 AM
I like the player for player deal, although it's avery slim chance it will happen.

colin
01-11-2008, 07:21 AM
i'm of two minds on this.

on one hand, jp has been bad. on the other hand, young qb's are at a massive premium.

shuab going for a 2nd is now considered a steal, so the market for decent looking qb's with no track record is rich. now jp isn't decent looking, but does have somewhat of a track record. if any OC thinks he can use the long arm and athleticism then jp might get some interest.

i think a 2nd is a dream, a 3rd is very unlikely but not impossible, and a 4th down starts to make a bit of sense. a package of jp and picks for players is very possible in my mind.

Buffatexas
01-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I think another factor that could possibly net us a higher pick for Losman, is if a team loses their starter in the preseason and they dont have a decent backup. Those could include Atlanta, Carolina, San Fran (although some could argue Dilfer as a decent backup) NYG (I have not seen enough of Lorenzen to develop an opinion) etc. I would not include Miami, Philly, Detroit and Green Bay as they all invested high draft picks in their backups and would more than likely not entertain a high pick for JP.

Saratoga Slim
01-11-2008, 08:12 AM
I think another factor that could possibly net us a higher pick for Losman, is if a team loses their starter in the preseason and they dont have a decent backup. Those could include Atlanta, Carolina, San Fran (although some could argue Dilfer as a decent backup) NYG (I have not seen enough of Lorenzen to develop an opinion) etc. I would not include Miami, Philly, Detroit and Green Bay as they all invested high draft picks in their backups and would more than likely not entertain a high pick for JP.

Agreed. This is the only way I see us getting more than a 5 or 6 for JP. We'd have to hold onto him into the preseason and hope for someone to get in a bind. However, I'd be hesitent to take this approach unless we brought in another serviceable vet much earlier--we need a backup who's had some time to work in the system.

jamze132
01-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I think JP and our 4th could net us a 2nd rounder. I would exchange the 4th for a 3rd if I had to.

jimbohastle51
01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
i think everyone who posted here has a concensus opinion that we are not going to get a 2nd rounder for losman straight up and i know that in todays NFL draft second day picks sometimes not only make a team but start day one. i just feel that if we got a player for player trade we could net something decent for him. shaun hill has been offered a contract by the 49ers and the redskins are going to find a way to keep todd collins and derrick anderson is going to cost major money and probably a couple high picks to get. i just think that we could get a "deal" for JP in a straight up player for player trade.

Bill Cody
01-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Here is a newsflash.

This is the reality. Why would JP command anything more than a 6th when guys like Carr and Leftwich yielded nothing?

Bone
01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I think JP has value, I don't think hes the right quarterback for the Bills, but for a team like the Lions, cardinals or vikings he could surprise us.

Straight up yoo

don137
01-11-2008, 02:35 PM
He is one step above Joey Harrington when Detroit unloaded him. Its not like JP has potential. IMO he's had his chance and failed. He will be nothing more than a marginal QB with a few flashes of brilliance. I think a conditional 4th, 5th or 6th is reasonable unless there is a bidding war but that is very unlikely.