• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

NFL.com's Mike Mayock's Top TEs

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

Not many good blocking TEs according to Mayock. I like where he has Keller. Funny how Kiper has Keller now at #2 of TEs.

Imagine getting Connor in the #11 spot with Maclom Kelly falling to our 2nd round pick and then we trade a third this year and another third next year to move back into the second round to grab Keller then we take a Leodis McKelvin or Tracy Porter at CB in the third?

Of course we get Bryant at WR, Corey Williams at DT and Marcus Trufant at CB in FA.

I would crap 'em if we could see things play out like this.

1. John Carlson -- 6-foot-5, 255 pounds (Notre Dame)
    Production was down in an offense that was painful to watch. Carlson had 40 receptions for 372 yards and three touchdowns, but is the best combination of blocking and pass catching in this year's class. As an in-line blocker, he will bend his knees, sink his hips and use leverage to win. He's not a killer, but understands positioning and is a tough player.
    Carlson is athletic in the passing game with an understanding of how to find the open zone or manipulate a man-to-man defender. He has good speed and excellent hands. Carslon should be drafted in the late first to early second round.
    Ben Liebenberg / NFL.com
    The Trojans' Fred Davis could work his way into the first round with a strong showing at the combine.

2. Fred Davis -- 6-3, 244 pounds (USC)
    Rocked-up ex-receiver has a frame similar to former first round pick Vernon Davis. He enjoyred a breakout senior season. Prior to the Rose Bowl, Davis had 55 catches for 794 yards and seven touchdowns. He averaged 14.0 yards per reception and had a personal highlight reel game vs. Washington State with nine catches for 124 yards and two touchdowns.
    Davis is a positional blocker who would improve his in-line blocking with better technique and effort. His strength lies in the pass game. He is explosive off the line of scrimmage and very effective in motion or split out. He catches the ball naturally with his hands and rarely lets it into his body. I like his value in the second round but a big combine could boost his stock.
    3. Dustin Keller -- 6-2, 242 pounds (Purdue)
    Another former wide receiver who bulked up in the weight room without losing speed and athletic ability. keller caught 61 passes for 731 yards and six touchdowns. Keller explodes and separates off the line of scrimmage and is very dangerous after the catch. He is not a conventional in-line tight end and must be used on the move or in the slot. Keller will be drafted by a team looking for a TE/H-Back that can get vertical and win matchups against safeties and linebackers. I don't think Keller will get out of the second round.
    Best of the rest (Projected for Rounds 3-5)

Martin Rucker -- 6-4, 247 pounds (Missouri)
    With 81 receptions with eight touchdowns in a creative scheme, Rucker is athletic with a big frame and minimal blocking abilities.
    Jacob Tamme -- 6-3, 230 pounds (Kentucky)
    Highly athletic former wide receiver had 53 receptions for 584 yards and five touchdowns. Tamme has excellent speed and hands, but won't block anybody. Purely a move guy in the pro game.
    Gary Barnidge -- 6-5, 235 pounds (Louisville)
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • theanswer74
    • Apr 2004

Re: NFL.com's Mike Mayock's Top TEs

Im a big Dustin Keller fan. Reminds me of K2.

Comment

• B-DON
      hi
      • Mar 2004

Im all about rucker. Straight beast.

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

A lack of blocking development doesn't scare me at all. That's why we signed Royal and Gaines. Those two would be great second and third TE's.

Rucker in the 3rd or Davis in the 2nd plus Sweed in the 1st could be the medicine we need desperately on offense.

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

i agree.. i could give a **** if the te we get can block.. i want a monster wr at TE.. which is great for us, because their are several options this year.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Hard Nose Football
            Registered ******
            • Nov 2007

Keller is the best receiver. He's fast and tough. The first guy never brings him down.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Mayock is my favorite scout. I'll take any of his top rated TE's.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

I'm high on Fred Davis. If he's even comparable to V. Davis, we need to get him in this offense. I'm getting FF goosebumps thinking about V. Davis in a Martz system.

Comment

• Bills Juggernaut
                  • Aug 2006

I'm a big ND fan and let me tell you how bad of a blocker John Carlson is.

Horrible!!!!! Couldn't block a DE all year. Constantly got blown up all year on running plays. I couldn't tell you the number of times I was screaming at the TV at him.

Please do not draft!!!!!!!!!
                  The One and Only

Comment

• colin
                    Drew's my hero!
                    • Jul 2002

i think davis is gonna go pretty high, and ruck will too if he has a great combine.

combine numbers took VD from the 2nds into the top 6!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Im usually with Maycock on all the stuff he does but I greatly disagree here, how he Carlson #1 is beyond me. He's not a good blocker like he says, and he's nowhere near the athlete of Rucker, F. Davis, Keller, K. Davis. Also how he does not even mention Martellus Bennett is beyond me, maybe he missed the news? I dont know but his rankings are off on this one imo.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

I really wouldnt mind taking Dustin Keller in the 2nd round. Never seen a TE move that fast or catch that smoothly.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                          I really wouldnt mind taking Dustin Keller in the 2nd round. Never seen a TE move that fast or catch that smoothly.
                          Tony G
                          Todd Heap
                          Zach Miller
                          Vernon Davis
                          Kellen Winslow
                          Greg Olsen
                          Jeremy Shockley
                          Heath Miller

to name a few who are either faster and smoother than Keller or are on his level. Some of you guys talk about this kid like he's one of a kind, I dont see it.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                            Im usually with Maycock on all the stuff he does but I greatly disagree here, how he Carlson #1 is beyond me. He's not a good blocker like he says, and he's nowhere near the athlete of Rucker, F. Davis, Keller, K. Davis. Also how he does not even mention Martellus Bennett is beyond me, maybe he missed the news? I dont know but his rankings are off on this one imo.
                            Mayock and others (like Scott Miller) are judging Carlson based on his junior year. They don't feel Carlson had much to work with this year and they are not holding that against him.

I know you like him, but I've also heard from multiple sources that feel Martellus Bennett is overrated.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                              Mayock and others (like Scott Miller) are judging Carlson based on his junior year. They don't feel Carlson had much to work with this year and they are not holding that against him.

I know you like him, but I've also heard from multiple sources that feel Martellus Bennett is overrated.

Yea I know they are judging Carlson off his junior year but Im pretty sure that about atleast this one kid Ive seen more tape of him then they likely have. I havent missed an Irish game in 4 years.

Ive heard the same and I dont agree, I think the kid is the top TE, he is raw but he is a Vernon Davis type of TE, he needs some more muscle but he could be dangerous at the next level.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X