PDA

View Full Version : Vanek

BSU Drew
01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
When the Sabres signed Vanek i was all for it but after watching him play this season im very dissapointed in him. He slacks on almost every single play. For making 10 million dollars this year he is playing horrible. He doesnt even look like he wants to play anymore.. Something has to be done.

Dr. Lecter
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
He is not playing well, but is not slacking. Not at all.

He is pressing more than slacking.

JD
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I always thought Vanek was a half assed player like Satan when he was here.

THATHURMANATOR
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
When the Sabres signed Vanek i was all for it but after watching him play this season im very dissapointed in him. He slacks on almost every single play. For making 10 million dollars this year he is playing horrible. He doesnt even look like he wants to play anymore.. Something has to be done.
See I couldn't disagree with you more. He more than pretty much than any other player IMO is really busting his ass out there. The problem with him is he is not producing. Look at tonight 1 break away 1 near break away and a bunch of other chances.

He also has a very lanky stride that makes him appear to be going slower than he is.

Where do you get the notion that he slacks almost every play?

THATHURMANATOR
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
He is not playing well, but is not slacking. Not at all.

He is pressing more than slacking.
EXACTLY!!!

THATHURMANATOR
01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I always thought Vanek was a half assed player like Satan when he was here.
I can't remember who said it (paul Hamilton or Robataille) but they compared the two and the point was made that Satan will not go to the tough areas to score goals but Vanek will.

Trust me I am frustrated with his production but I can't go for the he is not trying angle.

SabreEleven
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Vanek isn't be lazy, it is in his head right now. Nothing is going right for him.

BSU Drew
01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
A guy that actually cared wouldnt miss open nets.. I cant even begin to count how many he has missed. I'd rather pay someone who wants to play like Pominville the 10 mill. At this point (and my opinion could change) its a shame the Oilers didnt get stuck with that contract.

Dr. Lecter
01-10-2008, 09:49 PM
A guy that actually cared wouldnt miss open nets.. I cant even begin to count how many he has missed. I'd rather pay someone who wants to play like Pominville the 10 mill. At this point (and my opinion could change) its a shame the Oilers didnt get stuck with that contract.

A guy who presses misses open nets. Holds the stick too hard or tries to place it too much or shoots too late.

It is not a lack of effort. A lack of effort would result in not getting chances.

THATHURMANATOR
A guy that actually cared wouldnt miss open nets.. .
Is this a serious comment or a joke?

Dr. Lecter
What he needs is a game where he gets a fluke goal or two that bounce off D-man or the goalie.

RockStar36
01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Or maybe that goal in the shootout will help his confidence

Nighthawk
01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Lecter, I've played hockey and I agree with you about Vanek. However, when I'm watching him, there are times where he does not bear down with the puck when he has the opportunity. He sometimes seems like he floats instead of bearing down in the offensive zone. Now, I don't have any complaints with his defensive play, but in the offensive zone, he seems a little to carefree.

Billscusey
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
How many draft picks? Five? Whether he is "pressing" or "slacking," the deal seems less and less worth it every game he plays.

Dr. Lecter
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
How many draft picks? Five? Whether he is "pressing" or "slacking," the deal seems less and less worth it every game he plays.

He is half a season into a 7 year deal.

Billscusey
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
He is half a season into a 7 year deal.

So you are fine with how things are going then?

Dr. Lecter
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
:rolleyes:

Not what I said.

Billscusey
01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
:rolleyes:

Not what I said.

So what are you saying? He has six and a half years to continue to underwhelm us? Wow, and at the bargain price of only 10 mil per. Sure, I know he can improve, but these are the kinds of results that certainly make us question how good he truly is. Playing against second-liners last season would certainly make Vanek look better, but maybe he isn't good enough to move up into our star position! It's worth thinking about, and the FO should have thought about it!

THATHURMANATOR
01-11-2008, 12:51 AM
I agree he needs to start producing

THATHURMANATOR
01-11-2008, 12:51 AM
So you are fine with how things are going then?
He didn't say that.

THATHURMANATOR
01-11-2008, 12:52 AM
So what are you saying? He has six and a half years to continue to underwhelm us? Wow, and at the bargain price of only 10 mil per. Sure, I know he can improve, but these are the kinds of results that certainly make us question how good he truly is. Playing against second-liners last season would certainly make Vanek look better, but maybe he isn't good enough to move up into our star position! It's worth thinking about, and the FO should have thought about it!
You do realize that he is only making 10 mil the first year and it goes down each year after right? Honestly no one else is doing **** on this team.

Typ0
01-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Vanek plays his ass off. I haven't seen him take one bit of time off the way you are saying. He's struggling to get points but he's all over the ice and his work ethic is very apparent both in the way he plays and the way he prepares.

don137
01-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I agree that Vanek is hustling. Right now it is all in his head. He seems very uncomfortable on offense and does not like he is acting on instinct and play his game. He seems like he is pressing way to hard causing him to rush shots or be out of position for a rebound. He just needs a couple pucks to bounce his way and hopefully he will snap out of it.
This whole team is laying a goose egg on offense.

hydro
01-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Vanek plays his ass off. I haven't seen him take one bit of time off the way you are saying. He's struggling to get points but he's all over the ice and his work ethic is very apparent both in the way he plays and the way he prepares.

You are right on! Vanek is one of the few players i see chasing down a 2 on 1 and making a difference. If people think he isn't trying hard enough they just aren't watching the games or don't understand hockey.

THATHURMANATOR
01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Yes Exactly

hydro
01-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Yes Exactly

:hi5:

Typ0
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys. I think we all should remember that, for example, Ovechkin walked right into a role where he was going to be required to produce as a top player on the team. Ten months ago, Vanek's role was completely different on this team. At that time he had himself mentally prepared to fill that role. Now, his role has completely changed and he should be allowed some time to get his head in the right place for that role. Coupled with what we are seeing from his effort I would say we have a great player in this guy. He's yet to deliver but trying to run him out of town at this point is a big mistake.

RockStar36
01-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Basically it comes down to this. The team is struggling and everyone needs someone to blame.

Typ0
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Basically it comes down to this. The team is struggling and everyone needs someone to blame.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we win the next game. 4 out of 6 points from two of the top five teams in the league is not struggling. We just need to keep working.

That Guy
01-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Vanek has always looked lazy since Rochester. Part of it is his skating style, part of it is that he isn't an aggressive player. But I knew that Sabres fans wouldn't be happy with him after he signed the big deal. Money makes fans think that you're going to become something that you're not.