PDA

View Full Version : Bills Search Delayed by Design?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-11-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.wgrz.com/imagepool/images/0712512220_WGRZAdam-ks.jpg

It's been nearly two weeks since the end of the season and Marv Levy's decision to step down as General Manager. To this point, there's been very little activity in terms of finding a replacement.

Bills managmement held its usual meetings at the end of the season to evaluate 2008 - those happened late last week. But as of Wednesday Owner Ralph Wilson remained in Detroit, Head Coach Dick Jauron was out of the building, and no formal interviews had taken place.

Sources close to the situation tell us no firm decisions have been made yet, but many believe the situation will be handled internally without the Bills having to hire someone to fill the role of a traditional General Manager.

The Bills currently have a workable structure in place:

Russ Brandon - Executive V.P. Business
Tom Modrak - Assistant G.M. / Director of
College Scouting
John Guy - Director of Pro Personnel
Jim Overdorf - V.P. Football Administration
(Contracts and Salary Cap)

We've been told Modrak is not a candiate for the position. John Guy could potentially move up and assume more of a supervisory role, along with Dick Jauron who figures to gain more decision making power and say in terms of personnel. Jim Overdorf is also very capable, and is extremely valuable in terms of negotiating deals and handling the intricacies of the salary cap.

So what do the Bills need?

That's open to debate after back-to-back 7-9 seasons and eight years out of the playoffs - but assuming the current cast members remain in place, a safe bet is that they add another member of the personnel staff. That could be a replacement for Guy if he moves up, or someone from the outside with the likely title of V.P. of Football Operations or something to that end.

Bears Director of College Scouting Greg Gabriel, a Buffalo native and GM candidate two years ago when Marv Levy took over, very much wants to return home to work for the Bills. He has the blessing of Bears Management to make a move. As of Wednesday, the Bills had not requested permisson to speak with him formally.

Saints V.P. of Football Operations Rick Mueller - who has ties to Jauron via Jacksonville - has also been mentioned as a possibility. A member of the Saints staff told us Wednesday the Bills had not requested permission to speak with him.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=54303

Mahdi
01-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Thats totally fine with me,,, Levy was there for guidance and to help steer the organization into the right direction. He has done that and it does look as though we already have enough management ppl to cover all aspects of the team. Giving Jauron more power is also a great move. I always believed that a coach knows best what his team needs, why not let him make the decisions without any interference.

Jeff1220
01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Promoting from within is never usually exciting for the fans, but I'm fine with this for now.

Owen DeBoard
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Thats totally fine with me,,, Levy was there for guidance and to help steer the organization into the right direction. He has done that and it does look as though we already have enough management ppl to cover all aspects of the team. Giving Jauron more power is also a great move. I always believed that a coach knows best what his team needs, why not let him make the decisions without any interference.
The only problem I have with Jauron is that he had Anthony Thomas playing earlier in the year instead of Fred Jackson. Anthony Thomas's better days are long gone and this season proves it. They knew what they had in Fred Jackson in preseason and didnt put him in to a greater role until Thomas got injured. He is to commited to A-Train.

Night Train
01-11-2008, 01:38 PM
The only problem I have with Jauron is that he had Anthony Thomas playing earlier in the year instead of Fred Jackson. Anthony Thomas's better days are long gone and this season proves it. They knew what they had in Fred Jackson in preseason and didnt put him in to a greater role until Thomas got injured. He is to commited to A-Train.

We know Jackson can run and catch. His problem is blocking anything outside of the sun.

camelcowboy
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
I still don't see the "design" in the bills delaying the process?

im4bflo
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Why is delaying a good idea?
Wait until all the best are taken, and pick from the scrap.
TWO 7-9 seasons in a row, and no playoffs for how long!???
And stick with what you've got? :cynic:
:boozer:< go bills

Historian
01-12-2008, 06:13 AM
I agree.

Anyone who has been mentioned sucks anyways....

im4bflo
01-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Looks like the cheap way again, moving the same guys around doesn't change a thing, so I guess there will be no playoffs unless there's a miracle or Ralphie dies and Jimbo's secret crew comes in to take over.
:boozer:< go bills