PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Leaves Impression On NFL Coaches

justasportsfan
01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
"I think he did a heck of a job," said Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid. "He's a smart guy. He's played very well. I don't think it snows like that in Palo Alto, California so it was probably a little bit new to him."

"Very impressed with what we saw," said former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick. "He does seem very poised."

Edwards, however, was less than satisfied with his first NFL season.

"I'm too much of the perfectionist type where I'm looking back on those plays and games I could have changed and helped this team get in a better position to win," said Edwards. "There is a lot to learn from this situation. I did play a lot more than I had expected."

Areas of focus that Edwards wants to address in the offseason include third down conversions and the red zone. Buffalo finished the season 30th in third down conversion percentage (33.3%) and stood 30th in red zone touchdown percentage (38.2%).

But Reid, who has tutored many a quarterback in his coaching career, maintains that it simply takes time and repetition for young signal callers to execute consistently in those areas of the game.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5799

JD
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Why do the Bills practice in a fieldhouse anyway when we have an open air stadium? Practice in the elements you'll be playing in, for Edwards sake at least.

Don't Panic
01-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Great article/post. Reid knows QBs and when we has things like that to say, you have to feel good. I'm very excited tos ee the development of Trent Edwards... much more so than I was about JP at this point. Not that I wasn't a JP fan, but he didn't give me as much confidence in his potential as Trent has thus far.

venis2k1
01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Edwards went 16 of 30 for 133 yards and no TDs in the game against the eagles...i guess its not too hard to impress Andy Reid.

jdbillsfan
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Edwards went 16 of 30 for 133 yards and no TDs in the game against the eagles...i guess its not too hard to impress Andy Reid.

I am sure he watched more than the one game Edwards played them in.

Saratoga Slim
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I am sure he watched more than the one game Edwards played them in.

Yes, he said as much in the interview.

Trent has poise, I don't know what it is but somehow even when he's leading us to 5-field goals a game he still just looks like a guy who's going to get it eventually. I was really rooting for JP, but never had the same sense in him. It was nerve-wracking watching JP play.

raphael120
01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah well JP looks 10 times better than Edwards. JP would've lead us to the Superbowl and wouldve made Tom Brady bag his groceries because JP wouldve made Brady look so bad he'd get fired from the Pats. Edwards has horrible stats, I mean, whatever the rookie excuse gets so old. If he wants JP's job he should do better than JP and Kelly combined. Oh and don't get me started about throwing incompletions. COME ON BUDDY! You're in the NFL! You're throwing passes that go incomplete??? JP shoots footballs out of his arse and Ralph Wilson scores touchdowns with his beautifully thrown bombs.

/sarcasm off

YardRat
01-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd rather Reid was impressed enough with JP to offer us a first day pick for him.

yordad
01-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Opposing coaches say that every time. Sorry to be a downer. When Steve Young gives him a ringing endorcement, I think it will hold much more water. Anyone have a Steve Young quote on TE? Actually, Young seems to focus on the positives. I respect his opinion, but he isn't exactly critical. Sean Salisbury calling TE "the man" would be nice for my confidence. :shrug:

Historian
01-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Why do the Bills practice in a fieldhouse anyway when we have an open air stadium? Practice in the elements you'll be playing in, for Edwards sake at least.

Because we don't want them to get wet, silly....

mayotm
01-12-2008, 06:49 AM
I am sure he watched more than the one game Edwards played them in.Of course he did. Yet some people posting here want to focus on the last three games. Two of which were played in absolutely terrible weather conditions. There is no doubt that Edwards needs to take a big jump next year for the Bills to succeed. Including learning to deal with the elements. However, anybody that wasn't impressed by his performance as a rookie doesn't know much about football. Edwards upside is huge. For the haters out there that want to regurgitate a bunch of stats such as his QB rating, don't bother. I know what his stats were. Analyzing his play goes far beyond stats. For the record, I was a huge JP supporter. So I'm not one the JP haters that would have supported anybody as long as it wasn't JP.

don137
01-12-2008, 07:10 AM
I see a lot of good thing about Edwards that I like. He has great pocket awareness unlike many of the previous Bills QBs. Only time will tell but I think he will become a very good QB and just a little grooming. Most QBs do need a little time to the game at the NFL to take it to the next level. Look at Derek Anderson. Tell me Baltimore is not kicking themselves for letting him go for a 5th or 6th round pick especially when they have Boller and McNair. There best option is Troy Smith.