Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • circlethewagons
    • Dec 2005

Sources: Bills' top candidate to replace Levy has business, marketing strengths

Just saw this on ESPN and didnt see anyone post it yet-

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson will stay in-house to fill its top front-office vacancy, ESPN.com has learned through multiple league and team sources, and Bills executive vice president of business operations Russ Brandon has emerged as the frontrunner.

The opening was created when Marv Levy stepped down as general manager two weeks ago. A Hall of Fame coach who led the Bills to four straight Super Bowl appearances, Levy had come out of retirement two years ago to serve as the Bills' general manager.
    The team likely will announce Levy's successor next week.
    Brandon has worked for the Bills for 11 years, and in 2006 was appointed to his current position, in which he joined Levy in overseeing the club's front-office operations.
    If Brandon does land the job, as anticipated, it will probably result in a reconfiguration of the Bills' front-office structure. Because his background is more in the business and marketing side of the organization, and he does not have direct experience in personnel matters, it is unlikely Brandon will receive the title of general manager.
    He would report directly to Wilson, however, and would be ranked below only the Buffalo owner in the front-office structure.

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson will stay in-house to fill its top front-office vacancy, ESPN.com has learned, and Bills executive vice president of business operations Russ Brandon has emerged as the frontrunner.

I really didnt think Russ Brandon would become a canidate - he has almost no experience in the personnel department
    Last edited by shelby; 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM.

• shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: Sources: Bills' top candidate to replace Levy has business, marketing strengths

Thanks for the find.
    i edited your post as we can't post articles in their entirety, it's a copyright infringement issue.

Comment

• historypete
      • Feb 2005

Re: Sources: Bills' top candidate to replace Levy has business, marketing strengths

Great, our new GM has absolutely no football experience. I know Brandon has done a great job marketing, but how is that going to translate to improving the product on the field by finding players?

I think that by not upgrading the GM position with a football guy we are taking a major step backwards. I know people will point to Donahoe, but I'd still take my chances over a guy with marketing experience. Then again, Brandon's experience may prove important because they are going to have to do a wonderful marketing job to sell this move.

Comment

• That Guy
        • Apr 2004

As it basically states in the article, it looks like somebody else will be handling personnel matters.

Basically so he can save money I assume..

I probably shouldn't have said that.. :

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me that this promotion will have no negative or positive effect on the "product on the field." The people that have been buiding this team through the draft are still here except for Marv. I guess we will see how much Marv had to do with the last couple of rather successful drafts.
          One way to look at it would be from a continuity perspective. If this franchise believes that they are doing a good job of building a team, why bring in someone from the outside, give them GM powers and responsibilities, and possibly throw a monkey wrench in the works?

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by andyxc71
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me that this promotion will have no negative or positive effect on the "product on the field." The people that have been buiding this team through the draft are still here except for Marv. I guess we will see how much Marv had to do with the last couple of rather successful drafts.
            One way to look at it would be from a continuity perspective. If this franchise believes that they are doing a good job of building a team, why bring in someone from the outside, give them GM powers and responsibilities, and possibly throw a monkey wrench in the works?
            So... We lose Marv..... and we add no one? No effect? So, you feel Marv did nothing? Can't argue much because I don't exactly know what Marv did, but either way, I was hoping for a positive effect. You know, some kind of positive addition.

I'm not in favor of promoting a guy who specializes in profit, not wins.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Looks like a few titles are going to be switched, some responsibility shifted around a little and that's about it.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• circlethewagons
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by shelby
                Thanks for the find.
                i edited your post as we can't post articles in their entirety, it's a copyright infringement issue.
                Thanks- i didnt realize that- ill keep that in mind in the future

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

yeah that sounds like it to me. sort of a general management by committee

well it could work. if marv architected a good structure and culture perhaps they can just keep it going as it was. all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and see what happens
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• streetkings01
                    • Jul 2006

I'm starting to think the only way we make the playoffs is by accident!
                    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

This may mean Dick will have the power to make all the football decisions which is why its been implied he will have more power.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by yordad
                        So... We lose Marv..... and we add no one? No effect? So, you feel Marv did nothing? Can't argue much because I don't exactly know what Marv did, but either way, I was hoping for a positive effect. You know, some kind of positive addition.

I'm not in favor of promoting a guy who specializes in profit, not wins.
                        I know what you mean......I really do.

The promotion itself has no effect on how the team makes decisions about players in terms of scouting....the product on the field. Losing Marv will have some effect and I did ask that same question; how much will losing Marv effect our player decisions?

Why wouldn't you want someone who knows how to market, be in charge of marketing? If anything, Brandon is taking more responsibility away from Ralph Wilson, which would be seen by many as a good thing. It appears as though he will have no real say in personnel matters.

Hiring someone from the outside is never a guaranteed positive. If you like the way this group has been building the team since Donahoe left (I know I do, anyway) then why mess with a good thing? If this team is serious about continuing and finishing what they started, it will show over the course of the offseason.

Comment

• mybills
                          81 st zoner
                          • Jul 2002

The guy has two first names.
                          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

another move to MEDIOCRACY, way to be CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, anyone who thinks this is a good move, look at how long this guy has been employed by the Bills and look at how long we have not made the playoffs, but that is what u do promote from within, this is truly a sad day for the Bills MEdiocracy
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by andyxc71
                              I know what you mean......I really do.

The promotion itself has no effect on how the team makes decisions about players in terms of scouting....the product on the field. Losing Marv will have some effect and I did ask that same question; how much will losing Marv effect our player decisions?

Why wouldn't you want someone who knows how to market, be in charge of marketing? If anything, Brandon is taking more responsibility away from Ralph Wilson, which would be seen by many as a good thing. It appears as though he will have no real say in personnel matters.

Hiring someone from the outside is never a guaranteed positive. If you like the way this group has been building the team since Donahoe left (I know I do, anyway) then why mess with a good thing? If this team is serious about continuing and finishing what they started, it will show over the course of the offseason.
                              Maybe I am jumping to conclusions. I don't really have a firm grasp on what these guys do specifically.

It isn't as clear as it is after a game, but it feels like a loss.
                              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                              X