The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

John Guy named Vice President of Pro Personel

No surprises here.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Guy and Modrak promoted to VPs

Orchard Park, NY—John Guy has been promoted to Vice President of Pro Personnel and Tom Modrak has been promoted to Vice President of College Scouting, Bills owner Ralph Wilson, Jr. announced today.

“The promotions of John and Tom are all part of the re-alignment process that we are going through,” said Wilson. “Both men have done an excellent job and are deserving of this.”

Guy had previously served as the team’s Director of Pro Personnel since 2001 and Modrak served in the roles of Director of College Scouting (2007), Assistant General Manager (2002-2006) and Director of Football Operations (2001). Collectively, Guy and Modrak have spent 47 years in the National Football League, 16 and 31, respectively.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Coach Sal
      • Aug 2006

Re: John Guy named Vice President of Pro Personel

Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
      And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• bigbub2352
        • Feb 2005

i would not promote someon who got brought in by TD, these are truly sad moves, and will do nothing but contribute to medicracy, 8 seasons without a playoff birth and those are the guys u promote, truly sad, sorry disagree all u want but remember these are the guys who drafted and signed for 8 losing seasons
        Sad Cheap and mediocre
        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Bmax
          • Aug 2003

Not much of a Promotion Really........ New title more money,, The result the same .. Modrak Runs the draft.......Guy runs the pro department.. Free agents....

Wilson Runs everything.....

Bmax

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I have been excited about a Modrak draft left, maybe Ill express a copy of the BZ Draft Guide when its done to OBD for a few friendly pointers
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Nighthawk
              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
              • Jul 2002

Guy is a joke and has been since he's been here. Ralphy boy shows his cheap colors once again. Nice job...Ralphy!

Comment

• historypete
                • Feb 2005

This really sucks. There is no aggressive spirit in this whole organization from the owner to the coaching staff. It is the same ho-hum crap. Hell, they'll probably promote some intern on the training staff to Assistant Director of College Scouting because he is about to graduate from school.

Comment

• Hard Nose Football
                  Registered Retard
                  • Nov 2007

We've drafted well since TD left. This is ok with me.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Until I feel like elaborating on these "moves" more, I can just say.

LOL

This ****ing organization.. LOL...

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Bmax
                      Not much of a Promotion Really........ New title more money,, The result the same .. Modrak Runs the draft.......Guy runs the pro department.. Free agents....

Wilson Runs everything.....

Bmax
                      I totally agree.

This is the kind of move that has become typical in corporate America lately: give someone that you want to retain a VP title and a bump in salary when you decide that you are not going to give them the position or power that they really want.

With Russ Brandon taking over as COO, what you have is more of a corporate structure than the kind of structure that is typical for NFL franchises. This doesn't preclude the Bills bringing in someone to be GM at a later time in the future, but it probably will be enough to satisfy all of the players--at least long enough to maintain some of the stability that Levy was brought in to create for another season or two. This also makes may make the team more attractive to a potential buyer should R.Wilson die at some point in the near future while this structure is in place.

The Bills could yet bring in someone to work under or with Guy or Modrak, but I doubt that will happen. More likely, Jauron will be given more say and, perhaps, decision-making power over personnel. If Jauron's teams become successful on the field, he will remain and may even move "upstairs" eventually. If they don't, Jauron, Modrak and Guy will probably all be gone.

If the team isn't a serious playoff contender in two years, Ralph will be of an age where he probably feels that, like it or not, if he is still alive and sticks by his determination not to sell the team before he dies, he will have to bring in someone to take over the football operations will full powers in that area anyway--and if he does that, whoever he brings in is going to want to blow things up and start over again--why not see if this group can getthe job done before he has to resort to doing that.
                      Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

I'm not surprised, but what pisses me off the most is this....

#1 Why the **** didn't they just do this last week or right after Marv retired? What was the point in dragging this out?

#2 Why didn't they even bother bringing anyone in for an interview? I would have loved to see some of those guys that have been talked about been brought here to see what they have to say. Maybe that guy from the Bears would have impressed them enough to bring him here.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

I am fine with these moves. Modrak has been money in the draft.

For the people LOLing at how bad these moves where who do you suggest we should have brought in and why.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                            • Aug 2004

The Dolphins get Bill Parcells and the Bills get John Guy, Russ Brandon and Tom Modrak. The three headed monster.

This team cleary is going nowhere anytime soon. So who makes the decision on what players we draft, sign, etc. I know Modrak takes care of scouting the draft and Jon Guy takes care of scouting pro players(which both of these areas have been average at best) but who makes the final decision on who we draft, sign, release, etc. Ralph Wilson? I doubt but would clearly hope not. He only decides on who the QB's will be.

Every team has people who works in these positions but there is somebody up top who makes the final say(Bill Polian, Bill Parcells) Who is that person now? Dick Jauron? A career .500 at best coach?

Ralph chooses the cheap route once again. It's hard to beleive we actually had Bill Polian before and Ralph let him go. Hell even AJ Smith and John Butler who have done(did) a good job in San Diego. Instead our front office keeps getting worse and worse every year.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                              i would not promote someon who got brought in by TD, these are truly sad moves, and will do nothing but contribute to medicracy, 8 seasons without a playoff birth and those are the guys u promote, truly sad, sorry disagree all u want but remember these are the guys who drafted and signed for 8 losing seasons
                              Sad Cheap and mediocre
                              Bingo.

So much for the bright future......again.

Comment

Working...
                              X