PDA

View Full Version : Statistics break down how often Bills broke down

YardRat
01-13-2008, 06:17 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/250468.html

The Dallas Morning News compiled the numbers for all 32 teams last week. Ten of the 13 teams that lost the most games to injury failed to make the playoffs. Five of the nine teams that had the fewest games lost to injury made the playoffs.

Here are the top nine healthiest teams, with games lost by starters in parentheses: Tennessee (18), N.Y. Jets (20), Cleveland (21), N.Y. Giants (22), San Diego (24), Kansas City (24), Minnesota (24), Green Bay (32) and New England (32).

Here are the eight most injury- riddled teams: Buffalo (89), Indianapolis (81), Arizona (75), St. Louis (71), Miami (70), Houston (64), Denver (63) and Chicago (60).

Overall, 31 Bills players missed a combined total of 214 games. Injury-riddled St. Louis saw 27 players miss a combined 152 games. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the injuries to Bills players who were starters at the time of their injury and how many games were lost. If a player would have gone to the bench with the return of another injured player, we stopped counting their games missed.

The list: Trent Edwards 2, wrist; Keith Ellison 4, knee; Kevin Everett 15, neck; Chris Kelsay 2, foot; Jim Leonhard 3, calf; J.P. Losman 2, knee; Marshawn Lynch 3, ankle; Terrence Mc- Gee 1, ribs; Jason Peters 1, groin; Paul Posluszny 13, arm; Peerless Price 12, neck; Ko Simpson 15, ankle; Jason Webster 15, arm; Donte Whitner 1, flu; George Wilson 3, ribs; Coy Wire 3, knee.

feelthepain
01-13-2008, 10:02 AM
All but two of those starters missed a game here and a gamer there, but played the majority of the season for Buffalo. Basically, Buffalos injries were limited to back-ups. Most teams face injuries to starters for a few games a year, it's a whole different story when much of the starters miss the majority of the season due to injury and placed on IR, like what happened to Miami this year.

Green
Bell
Brown
Thomas
Goodman

were all placed on IR and played only a small amount of the season for Miami, we also lost Holiday, Hill, Chatman, Worrell, Martin all missed significant time due to injuries. Miami also traded away Chris Chambers who's having himself a real nice season in San Diego.

Add it all up and Miami was by far the most injured team in the NFL when it comes to starting talent.

YardRat
01-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Re-read it, FTP.

Buffalo starters lost 89 games to injury, Miami 70. Add it all up and Buffalo was the most injured team regarding starters.

feelthepain
01-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Re-read it, FTP.

Buffalo starters lost 89 games to injury, Miami 70. Add it all up and Buffalo was the most injured team regarding starters.
OK, now compare the level of talent per starter Miami lost compared to Buffalo, name one probowler or probowl caliber starter the Bills lost compared to Miami, our starters lost, are far and away better then the starters the Bills lost.

The fact is the starters Buffalo fields, wouldn't start on other teams.

Cleve
01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
The high injury rate at Buffalo could be attributed to the poor calibre of athletes on this team compared to other teams.

And as feelthepain mentions, these players benched for injuries aren't exactly NFL superstars - mostly mediocre players who wouldn't start on any of the top ten teams, and their loss doesn't impact the game's outcome very much.

Ickybaluky
01-13-2008, 11:17 PM

He has a point. If you add in games lost to players stupidly traded away or cut that went on to start for other teams, it puts Miami over the top.

Watching these games you see ex-Dolphins (Chris Chambers, Wes Welker, Kevin Carter, Sam Madison) playing key roles on playoff teams. Sure, Buffalo more players to injury, but when you add in the games lost to players going elsewhere due to mismanagement and poor deals, Miami leads the NFL.

yordad
01-13-2008, 11:36 PM
He has a point. If you add in games lost to players stupidly traded away or cut that went on to start for other teams, it puts Miami over the top.

Watching these games you see ex-Dolphins (Chris Chambers, Wes Welker, Kevin Carter, Sam Madison) playing key roles on playoff teams. Sure, Buffalo more players to injury, but when you add in the games lost to players going elsewhere due to mismanagement and poor deals, Miami leads the NFL.Look man, no one is saying the Miami decision makers are smart, but that is a completely different topic.

If you want to start a thread showing stats on how stupid Miami is, go for it. But that doesn't change the fact that the Bills were the "most injured" team in the NFL. They had 62 more games missed than the second place team's players. Facts are facts.

Heck, I'm curious to see the history of this "stat". They may have been one of the most injured ever.

YardRat
01-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Look man, no one is saying the Miami decision makers are smart, but that is a completely different topic.

If you want to start a thread showing stats on how stupid Miami is, go for it.

You have to admit that was a nice shot, though. And true.

Ickybaluky
01-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Look man, no one is saying the Miami decision makers are smart, but that is a completely different topic.

I was just trying to tweak FTP. I thought it was funny.

Heck, I'm curious to see the history of this "stat". They may have been one of the most injured ever.

I know the 2003 Patriots lost 87 games from starters to injury, which was a new record for a Super Bowl winner. 42 different players started games for them that season. The effect was particularly bad on defense, with guys like Rosy Colvin, Ty Law, Richard Seymour, Ted Washington all missed significant time.

Captain gameboy
01-14-2008, 05:45 AM

That's because the Dolphins suffer from the most egregious malady of all.....
Undiagnosed brain damage.

BlackMetalNinja
01-14-2008, 06:10 AM
OK, now compare the level of talent per starter Miami lost compared to Buffalo, name one probowler or probowl caliber starter the Bills lost compared to Miami, our starters lost, are far and away better then the starters the Bills lost.

The fact is the starters Buffalo fields, wouldn't start on other teams.

Yup... with all your starters healthy... you just might have went 3-13 :up:

feelthepain
01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
That's because the Dolphins suffer from the most egregious malady of all.....
Undiagnosed brain damage.

Better then suffereing from eternal loser syndrome like the Bills!!

feelthepain
01-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Yup... with all your starters healthy... you just might have went 3-13 :up:

And the Bills still have more losing seasons then the Dolphins....by far! The Bills still have a longer longer playoff drought then the Dolphins. And Miami will be in the Playoffs before the Bills guaranteed!!

Captain gameboy
01-14-2008, 06:30 AM
See what I mean?

LtFinFan66
01-14-2008, 06:34 AM
See what I mean?Please don't judge the masses by the actions of one.

Luisito23
01-14-2008, 06:35 AM
GB...FTP = :coocoo:....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

mchurchfie
01-14-2008, 06:44 AM
And the Bills still have more losing seasons then the Dolphins....by far! The Bills still have a longer longer playoff drought then the Dolphins. And Miami will be in the Playoffs before the Bills guaranteed!!

Hey FTP, I've noticed an aura of especially agitated misogyny permeating from your postings of late. Is this merely boredom lowering you to the likes of us or has the wifey become disinterested in that dessicated inchworm lurking flaccidly beneath those size 52 trousers? Thanks for playing "I have nothing to look forward to next year.":up:

Jan Reimers
01-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey FTP, I've noticed an aura of especially agitated misogyny permeating from your postings of late. Is this merely boredom lowering you to the likes of us or has the wifey become disinterested in that dessicated inchworm lurking flaccidly beneath those size 52 trousers? Thanks for playing "I have nothing to look forward to next year.":up:
Classic!

Jeff1220
01-14-2008, 07:06 AM
I know the 2003 Patriots lost 87 games from starters to injury, which was a new record for a Super Bowl winner. 42 different players started games for them that season. The effect was particularly bad on defense, with guys like Rosy Colvin, Ty Law, Richard Seymour, Ted Washington all missed significant time.

Well, when you know what plays the other team is going to run...

dannyek71
01-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Better then suffereing from eternal loser syndrome like the Bills!!

Because the fish have won so many games lately. If consistiently winning 5-6 games a year is a dynasty, then the fish have been a dynasty for the last 20 years.

LtFinFan66
01-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Because the fish have won so many games lately. If consistiently winning 5-6 games a year is a dynasty, then the fish have been a dynasty for the last 20 years.5-6 games a year for the last 20 years:rolleyes: Let's not get carried away now Danny

FatalShot
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
And the Bills still have more losing seasons then the Dolphins....by far! The Bills still have a longer longer playoff drought then the Dolphins. And Miami will be in the Playoffs before the Bills guaranteed!!You must think Parcells is God or something if you think that the Dolphins will make the Playoffs anytime soon. No one can fix something THAT badly damaged...

yordad
01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
And the Bills still have more losing seasons then the Dolphins....by far! The Bills still have a longer longer playoff drought then the Dolphins. And Miami will be in the Playoffs before the Bills guaranteed!!Dude, your favorite team just had the worst win % in NFL single season history. Nothing you say is going to make people stop laughing at you. Your team is a joke. At least take it like a man. Trying to put down the fans of a better team isn't going to make your team any better. Suck it up.

feelthepain
01-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Dude, your favorite team just had the worst win % in NFL single season history. Nothing you say is going to make people stop laughing at you. Your team is a joke. At least take it like a man. Trying to put down the fans of a better team isn't going to make your team any better. Suck it up.

Why don't you wake up, funny how Bill fans refuse to accept Miami's injuries were legit. Miami loses their best players and the Bills don't, but Bill fans act like their injuries were huge......who did the Bills lose? WHO?????

Do you think if the Pats lost Brady, Moss, Maroney and Bruschi for the season they'd be undefeated? Miami lost Green, Brown, Chambers and Thomas please god tell me you understand that that's far more talent then the Bills lost this year? Every year Bill fans think winning 7 games is some huge accomplishemnt. Get over your overrated opinion of the Bills.

Ingtar33
01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
median games lost to injury 53.5 (mid point between the high and low)

what this means is all of these teams over achieved (their record was better then their talent and ability likely would have granted normally)

Tennessee (18), N.Y. Jets (20), Cleveland (21), N.Y. Giants (22), San Diego (24), Kansas City (24), Minnesota (24)

and these teams records were worse then they should have been.

Buffalo (89), Indianapolis (81), Arizona (75), St. Louis (71), Miami (70)

the funny thing is, KC and the Jets stunk this year... considering the relative injury free nature of the season, they probably can expect poor years next year regardless of off-season moves...

Wys Guy
01-15-2008, 07:58 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/250468.html

The Dallas Morning News compiled the numbers for all 32 teams last week. Ten of the 13 teams that lost the most games to injury failed to make the playoffs. Five of the nine teams that had the fewest games lost to injury made the playoffs.

Here are the top nine healthiest teams, with games lost by starters in parentheses: Tennessee (18), N.Y. Jets (20), Cleveland (21), N.Y. Giants (22), San Diego (24), Kansas City (24), Minnesota (24), Green Bay (32) and New England (32).

Here are the eight most injury- riddled teams: Buffalo (89), Indianapolis (81), Arizona (75), St. Louis (71), Miami (70), Houston (64), Denver (63) and Chicago (60).

Overall, 31 Bills players missed a combined total of 214 games. Injury-riddled St. Louis saw 27 players miss a combined 152 games. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the injuries to Bills players who were starters at the time of their injury and how many games were lost. If a player would have gone to the bench with the return of another injured player, we stopped counting their games missed.

The list: Trent Edwards 2, wrist; Keith Ellison 4, knee; Kevin Everett 15, neck; Chris Kelsay 2, foot; Jim Leonhard 3, calf; J.P. Losman 2, knee; Marshawn Lynch 3, ankle; Terrence Mc- Gee 1, ribs; Jason Peters 1, groin; Paul Posluszny 13, arm; Peerless Price 12, neck; Ko Simpson 15, ankle; Jason Webster 15, arm; Donte Whitner 1, flu; George Wilson 3, ribs; Coy Wire 3, knee.

But our training staff won an award!

It's nice that they can respond to an Everett-like neck/back injury, truly, but apparently they can't do much otherwise in conjunction with the conditioning guys.

Has anyone bothered to ask specifically why we get all these injuries, and in the case to the slew of backups and practice squad types on IR, why to players that rarely ever even see playing time?

Dr. Lecter
01-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Broken bones are rarely conditioning types of injuries. Neither are knee injuries. Or ankel sprains on a RB.

mchurchfie
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Broken bones are rarely conditioning types of injuries. Neither are knee injuries. Or ankel sprains on a RB.
Maybe with broken bones but I disagree with the rest. This team hasn't been the same since those boneheads released Rusty Jones.

Dr. Lecter
01-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Maybe with broken bones but I disagree with the rest. This team hasn't been the same since those boneheads released Rusty Jones.

TD screwed him over big time. I heard that story from a former player.

yordad
01-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Why don't you wake up, funny how Bill fans refuse to accept Miami's injuries were legit. Miami loses their best players and the Bills don't, but Bill fans act like their injuries were huge......who did the Bills lose? WHO?????

Do you think if the Pats lost Brady, Moss, Maroney and Bruschi for the season they'd be undefeated? Miami lost Green, Brown, Chambers and Thomas please god tell me you understand that that's far more talent then the Bills lost this year? Every year Bill fans think winning 7 games is some huge accomplishemnt. Get over your overrated opinion of the Bills.First, I think you are missing the key word, "injury". Not "stupidity".

Second, your team stunk this year from game one. And, when they are healthy, they will continue to stink for quite some time.

Third, I have no overrated opinion. Where did I state my opinion of the Bills? You don't even know my opinion, yet you are calling it "overrated". :dance:

feelthepain
01-17-2008, 05:31 AM
First, I think you are missing the key word, "injury". Not "stupidity".

Second, your team stunk this year from game one. And, when they are healthy, they will continue to stink for quite some time.

Third, I have no overrated opinion. Where did I state my opinion of the Bills? You don't even know my opinion, yet you are calling it "overrated". :dance:

First of all, Miami has more talent position for position then the Bills.
Secondly, Trent Green, Ronnie Brown and our Oline were as high as 15th in the league before Green went down. Maimi may not have won any games before Green was injured, but the Dolphins had improved dramtically from 2006 to 2007 on offense when both Green and Brown were in the lineup. Also, losing Chambers ensured the Dolphins injured offense suffer even more.

BTW, the Bills never even sniffed 15th in the league on offense this year. So spear me the "Dolphins stunk this year" cause your team was hardly better and you're starters were on the field all year. Basically, Bill fans claim their injuries held them back, when their injuries were all backups and scrubs. Posluzny was your only starter to miss significant time and he's not exactly a probowler.

Dr. Lecter
01-17-2008, 06:24 AM
BTW, the Bills never even sniffed 15th in the league on offense this year. So spear me the "Dolphins stunk this year" cause your team was hardly better and you're starters were on the field all year. Basically, Bill fans claim their injuries held them back, when their injuries were all backups and scrubs. Posluzny was your only starter to miss significant time and he's not exactly a probowler.

Poz was the only starter?

Ko Simpson. Peerless Price. Jason Webster. Lynch missed 3 games. Ellsion missed a number at the start of the season.

yordad
01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
First of all, Miami has more talent position for position then the Bills.
Secondly, Trent Green, Ronnie Brown and our Oline were as high as 15th in the league before Green went down. Maimi may not have won any games before Green was injured, but the Dolphins had improved dramtically from 2006 to 2007 on offense when both Green and Brown were in the lineup. Also, losing Chambers ensured the Dolphins injured offense suffer even more.

BTW, the Bills never even sniffed 15th in the league on offense this year. So spear me the "Dolphins stunk this year" cause your team was hardly better and you're starters were on the field all year. Basically, Bill fans claim their injuries held them back, when their injuries were all backups and scrubs. Posluzny was your only starter to miss significant time and he's not exactly a probowler.You appearently forgot the only stat that matter. Wins. Bills 7. Miami 1. But, I was rootin' for you, big time. :dance: