PDA

View Full Version : Brown: Contuinity is Best

patmoran2006
01-13-2008, 08:37 AM
I will be fair and post a blog that I like from the Bills side of the story (I disagree with it, but it is a good peice)

From Chris Brown:
Continuity is best

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>January 12, 2008
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 5:52 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=2785)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>CONTINUITY IS BEST: Promoting from within is kind of what we all expected after there were no interviews with outside candidates at all. Truthfully it's the best way to go. The team is not that far off from returning to the playoffs and the men currently in the front office have really handled most of what has gone on the past two years. Marv Levy was GM, but was operating as more of a facilitator where he spent his time building consensus within the hierarchy of the organization rather than dealing with the nuts and bolts of a traditional GM.
Guy and Modrak have handled all the personnel evaluations in addition to the coaching staff the past two seasons. That's not to say that Levy didn't do his own evaluations and provide his own input. He absolutely did. But Guy and Modrak didn't just watch film, they also did a lot of the grunt work with their respective staffs to build this roster into what it is today.
Guy and his assistants pulled people like Michael Gaines and Bryan Scott off the street in the middle of the season when the talent cupboard is usually bare. Modrak has put together a pair of solid draft classes that hasn't even come close to maximizing their respective potential yet, and they've still been impressive in their contributions to date.
Jim Overdorf manages the cap and gets players signed and on the field. The only change is that Russ Brandon will factor in more on the football side of the ledger now.
Yes, the offense needs to be tweaked, and more skill position talent is needed on offense to make it all work effectively, but a new GM with new ideas and new plans likely would have blown up all the work that Marv and this current front office has put together the past two years. It would have only set the team back. Staying the course with a few tweaks to the offensive scheme another infusion of free agent and draft talent and this team should end its playoff drought next fall.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

X-Era
01-13-2008, 08:43 AM
I will be fair and post a blog that I like from the Bills side of the story (I disagree with it, but it is a good peice)

From Chris Brown:
Continuity is best

<table align="center" border="0" bordercolor="#09347b" cellpadding="10" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td class="mediumrow" style="border: 1px solid rgb(84, 139, 181);" colspan="2"><table style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(0, 45, 120);" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left">January 12, 2008
</td><td align="right">Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 5:52 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=2785)

</td></tr></tbody></table>CONTINUITY IS BEST: Promoting from within is kind of what we all expected after there were no interviews with outside candidates at all. Truthfully it's the best way to go. The team is not that far off from returning to the playoffs and the men currently in the front office have really handled most of what has gone on the past two years. Marv Levy was GM, but was operating as more of a facilitator where he spent his time building consensus within the hierarchy of the organization rather than dealing with the nuts and bolts of a traditional GM.
Guy and Modrak have handled all the personnel evaluations in addition to the coaching staff the past two seasons. That's not to say that Levy didn't do his own evaluations and provide his own input. He absolutely did. But Guy and Modrak didn't just watch film, they also did a lot of the grunt work with their respective staffs to build this roster into what it is today.
Guy and his assistants pulled people like Michael Gaines and Bryan Scott off the street in the middle of the season when the talent cupboard is usually bare. Modrak has put together a pair of solid draft classes that hasn't even come close to maximizing their respective potential yet, and they've still been impressive in their contributions to date.
Jim Overdorf manages the cap and gets players signed and on the field. The only change is that Russ Brandon will factor in more on the football side of the ledger now.
Yes, the offense needs to be tweaked, and more skill position talent is needed on offense to make it all work effectively, but a new GM with new ideas and new plans likely would have blown up all the work that Marv and this current front office has put together the past two years. It would have only set the team back. Staying the course with a few tweaks to the offensive scheme another infusion of free agent and draft talent and this team should end its playoff drought next fall.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

This blog is on the money!

Moving forward without major changes is moving forward, not backward. The philosophy is in place: Character, hard nosed players. The head coach is here, a guy who managed to field a solid team even though it was mostly filled with backups due to injury. Marv paved the way, the team will be just fine.

If anything, a marketing, business type will realize talent = dollars and get players who put fannys in the seats.

I for one am VERY glad that we wont be changing everything all over again.

Mitchy moo
01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
This blog is on the money!

Moving forward without major changes is moving forward, not backward. The philosophy is in place: Character, hard nosed players. The head coach is here, a guy who managed to field a solid team even though it was mostly filled with backups due to injury. Marv paved the way, the team will be just fine.

If anything, a marketing, business type will realize talent = dollars and get players who put fannys in the seats.

+1.

patmoran2006
01-13-2008, 09:10 AM
+1.
WTF... when DONT you change your mind?

You've sat here and blasted Wilson for days lately, and now you're on board with your "+1" symbol??

billsburgh
01-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I agree that continuity would be best for the team, but only if the team had been coming off of successful seasons. The fact is though, we havent made the playoffs in over 8 years and and the team is stuck in losing and mediocrity. is that what you really want to stay the course with?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-13-2008, 11:38 AM
i just dont care who is in the front office anymore. the only front office in the league that seems to be a major factor is NE.

its the players and the coach that make the diff and when you get to taht level its a crap shoot as to who makes it and who dont.

X-Era
01-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I agree that continuity would be best for the team, but only if the team had been coming off of successful seasons. The fact is though, we havent made the playoffs in over 8 years and and the team is stuck in losing and mediocrity. is that what you really want to stay the course with?

Another draft and another set of free agent signings without the loss of any of our key players will make the team better. The personnel moves this offseason will make us better just that simple.

Historian
01-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Yea...let's continue on at 7-9...

Mitchy moo
01-13-2008, 01:28 PM
WTF... when DONT you change your mind?

You've sat here and blasted Wilson for days lately, and now you're on board with your "+1" symbol??

I'm +1 with that, not the whole statement, Just to clarify it.

Historian
01-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I disagree with it, but it is a good peice

What else do you expect from the ministry of propaganda, Pat...honestly?

X-Era
01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Yea...let's continue on at 7-9...

would you rather go 3 and 13 with a 1 year vet QB, RB, and all new O and D schemes under an all new front office? Your assumption is we dont get better in the draft or FA, that remains to be seen.

patmoran2006
01-13-2008, 01:47 PM
would you rather go 3 and 13 with a 1 year vet QB, RB, and all new O and D schemes under an all new front office? Your assumption is we dont get better in the draft or FA, that remains to be seen.
it's beyond the players.

It's Wilson's unwillingness to spend on the quality coaches. Put it this way, over the past two years, how many games have the Bills played where you said to yourself after the game: What kind of playcall or gamecall was that?

Terrible coaching and cheap, inexperienced "over their heads" coaches and coordinators trump talent any day of the week.

Do you think this EXACT Bills team goes only 7-9 with a guy like Cowher as the head coach? IF you dont want to go that far, how about even just a competetent offensive coordinator?

Nighthawk
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Chris Brown is crazy and oh yeah, he also works for the Bills. There is nobody who deserves to be promoted from a team that hasn't gone to the playoffs in over 10 years. This is why this team continues to be mediocre.

HHURRICANE
01-13-2008, 07:43 PM
"But Guy and Modrak didn't just watch film, they also did a lot of the grunt work with their respective staffs to build this roster into what it is today." :puke:

yordad
01-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Whatever the Bills decided to do, Chris Brown would have said it was for the best.

mchurchfie
01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
This team is on the edge of making the PO?:roflmao: Now we have their number one beancounte overseeing the football end of things more than ever. We'll NEVER ante up and spend any money on anyone now to put this team over the top.

Carlton Bailey
01-14-2008, 09:19 AM
The Bills were outscored by about 150 points by playoff teams they faced this season, yet continuity is best? I think they were worst in '07 than '06.

Chris Brown sucks.