PDA

View Full Version : March 1

patmoran2006
01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I think that is the date that everybody can start to get a fair assessment of the Bills plans for next season.

I HATE the promotions taking place from within, but will admit to act on first emotion more than anything. Maybe, just maybe (though I doubt it) staying the course with what they're trying to build with the guys already in place will work out and end this embarassingly brutal run of mediocrity.

Regardless, From now until March 1st I'm not going to comment anymore on the front office moves.

What matters MOST is what we do starting March 1st. That's when free agency begins and THAT is absolutely when we will start to see if Wilson made these promotions because he's confident in them to get us to the next level, or if he's reallly did it to squeeze even more dollars into his account.

For the first time in several years, we head to free agency in outstanding shape, but in regards to cap room and the roster.

Cap wise we are in great shape. In fact, as of now only 2 teams will head into with FA with more cap room to spend.

Roster wise we're in great shape. There is no London Fletcher or Nate Clements to lose this year on our roster. There are no aging vets past their primes (Spikes) to have to trade as dump offs. There (as of now) are no important big mouths wishing their way from this organization (McGahee) other than Losman, who doesn't fit into the future here anyway (see ya).

Anthony Hargrove is our best free agent, and though he's a nice player he's far from irreplacable.

So, we go into free agency in better shape than recent years. In other words, there are truly NO EXCUSES to not be extremely aggressive and active.

This team has the cap room and some major holes to fill. Some of course will come via the draft, as it should. But if this team really wants to be a playoff team, they need a couple of vets who can come in and make an impact from day one.

The most major needs:
A better DT at stopping the run, a more reliable WR, a better OLB and a more consistent tight end. We also will need a vet QB to backup Edwards.

Now how many of these obvious needs will be filled with free agents, and will they be good players; or will we get more Matt Bowen's, Robert Royal's and Peerless Price's?

To summarize. OVer-reacting (and I'm the king of it) is senseless right now. But come March 1st when we start to see what this team does, it will not be.

mayotm
01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Big of you to admit that you tend to over-react. You're certainly not the only one that posts here with that issue. I think you nailed the Bills needs. It doesn't seem like to much to expect that those needs are met between FA and the draft.

Michael82
01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Regardless, From now until March 1st I'm not going to comment anymore on the front office moves.

:laughing:

Good post, overall pat! But I will believe this part when I see it. I have a feeling that you will have quite a bit to say about the new OC and new OL coach. :gag:

patmoran2006
01-13-2008, 01:24 PM
You bet I will. Coaching is more reflective on game day than the Front Office management.

X-Era
01-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I think that is the date that everybody can start to get a fair assessment of the Bills plans for next season.

I HATE the promotions taking place from within, but will admit to act on first emotion more than anything. Maybe, just maybe (though I doubt it) staying the course with what they're trying to build with the guys already in place will work out and end this embarassingly brutal run of mediocrity.

What matters MOST is what we do starting March 1st. That's when free agency begins and THAT is absolutely when we will start to see if Wilson made these promotions because he's confident in them to get us to the next level, or if he's reallly did it to squeeze even more dollars into his account.

For the first time in several years, we head to free agency in outstanding shape, but in regards to cap room and the roster.

Cap wise we are in great shape. In fact, as of now only 2 teams will head into with FA with more cap room to spend.

Roster wise we're in great shape. There is no London Fletcher or Nate Clements to lose this year on our roster. There are no aging vets past their primes (Spikes) to have to trade as dump offs. There (as of now) are no important big mouths wishing their way from this organization (McGahee) other than Losman, who doesn't fit into the future here anyway (see ya).

Anthony Hargrove is our best free agent, and though he's a nice player he's far from irreplacable.

So, we go into free agency in better shape than recent years. In other words, there are truly NO EXCUSES to not be extremely aggressive and active.

This team has the cap room and some major holes to fill. Some of course will come via the draft, as it should. But if this team really wants to be a playoff team, they need a couple of vets who can come in and make an impact from day one.

The most major needs:
A better DT at stopping the run, a more reliable WR, a better OLB and a more consistent tight end. We also will need a vet QB to backup Edwards.

Now how many of these obvious needs will be filled with free agents, and will they be good players; or will we get more Matt Bowen's, Robert Royal's and Peerless Price's?

To summarize. OVer-reacting (and I'm the king of it) is senseless right now. But come March 1st when we start to see what this team does, it will not be.

I like the thrust of this post.

Id like:

WR: Ernest Wilford or Malcolm Kelly, maybe also add Eddie Royal
TE: Martellus Bennett, Im not a huge fan of adding Dallas Clark (im worried about his blocking ability). My sleeper is Brad Cottam in the draft
OLB: Terrell Suggs would be HUGE both in the pass rush and against the run and pass. I like Vince Hall but hes undersized. Adibi and Highsmith are so so to me at this point. Rivers I honestly havent see enough of. I also wouldnt mind Dansby or Briggs with a shift of Pos to OLB. But my big pick is Terrell Suggs.
DT: Yes Id like Haynesworth but I think the draft is more likely, Ellis would be my pick.
Backup QB: Im a fan of another rookie to be honest. It would be a possible future QB if Edwards fails, and could come in in a pinch. Brennan is my favorite for that role (theres much better but only if you plan to make them your future), maybe Ainge.

YardRat
01-13-2008, 02:15 PM
If the team is going to make any kind of splash in FA, it will be early. Once the weekend is over, any signings will just be fill-ins, depth, etc.

Saratoga Slim
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Pat, I think you're right on at least one thing: we really don't have the glaring holes to fill that we did last year. We're in the market for upgrades. That's a better position to be in.

Oaf
01-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I like this post. Wilson has no excuse not to go out and fix our team this time.

alohabillsfan
01-14-2008, 08:41 AM
With all that said... I think we all agrre that we need the following;

WR--Big Physical
DT--Big Physical
WLB--Replace Ellison
TE- Vertical Threat

Depth/Upgrade
CB
FS
C--Upgrade
Vetern QB- If JP is traded

Now looking at the price tag, and availability per position and the draft here is what I would do...

Free Agency

WLB - Lance Briggs $$$ We have the cash, but Someone (Washington) will really over pay for him.
DT- Cory Williams

Draft
1) FS Kenny Phillips, Miami Defense needs more playmakers (is Ko the Answer?)
2) WR James Hardy, Indiana Height: 6-7. Weight: 220.
3) TE Jacob Tamme, Kentucky Height: 6-5. Weight: 240. The next Dallas Clark!
3) C Steve Justice, Wake Forest Height: 6-4. Weight: 280.
4) FB Owen Schmitt, West Virginia Height: 6-3. Weight: 250. 40 Time: 4.81.
5) CB Darnell Terrell, Missouri Height: 6-3. Weight: 205. 40 Time: 4.39.
5) DT Andre Fluellen, Florida State Height: 6-4. Weight: 285. 40 Time: 4.90.
6) DE Bryan Mattison, Iowa Height: 6-3. Weight: 272. 40 Time: 4.83.
7) LB Andy Studebaker, Wheaton Height: 6-3. Weight: 245. 40 Time: 4.49.
7) BPA

I know people will bash the 1st pick (Safety) but the Tampa 2 needs a top FS (IMO), Is Phillips the answer? I don't know. I would like to pick M. Kelly there but I think we could trade down a few and still get him. It's a little early to predict out of the top 7 or 8 picks.

Mahdi
01-14-2008, 10:04 AM
With all that said... I think we all agrre that we need the following;

WR--Big Physical
DT--Big Physical
WLB--Replace Ellison
TE- Vertical Threat

Depth/Upgrade
CB
FS
C--Upgrade
Vetern QB- If JP is traded

Now looking at the price tag, and availability per position and the draft here is what I would do...

Free Agency

WLB - Lance Briggs $$$ We have the cash, but Someone (Washington) will really over pay for him.
DT- Cory Williams

Draft
1) FS Kenny Phillips, Miami Defense needs more playmakers (is Ko the Answer?)
2) WR James Hardy, Indiana Height: 6-7. Weight: 220.
3) TE Jacob Tamme, Kentucky Height: 6-5. Weight: 240. The next Dallas Clark!
3) C Steve Justice, Wake Forest Height: 6-4. Weight: 280.
4) FB Owen Schmitt, West Virginia Height: 6-3. Weight: 250. 40 Time: 4.81.
5) CB Darnell Terrell, Missouri Height: 6-3. Weight: 205. 40 Time: 4.39.
5) DT Andre Fluellen, Florida State Height: 6-4. Weight: 285. 40 Time: 4.90.
6) DE Bryan Mattison, Iowa Height: 6-3. Weight: 272. 40 Time: 4.83.
7) LB Andy Studebaker, Wheaton Height: 6-3. Weight: 245. 40 Time: 4.49.
7) BPA

I know people will bash the 1st pick (Safety) but the Tampa 2 needs a top FS (IMO), Is Phillips the answer? I don't know. I would like to pick M. Kelly there but I think we could trade down a few and still get him. It's a little early to predict out of the top 7 or 8 picks.
I actually like the Kenny Philips pick and would have no problem with it. Philips is a playmaker that we could really use at FS and the value is great @ #11 where most of the top guys in our need positions will be gone. IMO the #1 safety in the draft is more crucial to our cover 2 than the #1 LB.