PDA

View Full Version : Does the QB position really make the difference?

Mr. Cynical
01-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Teams still standing...

Green Bay....Favre
Pats....Brady
Indy....Manning
Dallas...Romo
Giants...Eli
Chargers....Rivers

So unless Indy and Dallas are upset today, looks like the rule is if you have a very good/great QB, you're going to go pretty far. Just sayin' for those who point to this being a team game. (kidding)

Yes, teams can go all the way with average QBs (dilfer, rypien) but that means you need a ridiculously good team around him. And even then they are the exception.

I sure hope Trent continues to improve or we're in for another decade of mediocrity. :(

Typ0
01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
The one that really stands out is Green Bay. Dallas, Indy, Pats, Chargers all have solid teams. Yes, they need production from the QB to get where they are but not like GB.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-13-2008, 11:19 AM
without Brady, the pats loose 4 games at least this season. at least.

brady is the best QB i've ever seen.

I cant stand it.

Mr. Cynical
01-13-2008, 12:42 PM

I cant stand it.

I have to really disagree with you on this one. He is a very good QB but IMHO, not in the same class as Favre, Elway, Montana or Marino. He can't carry a team or do superhuman things...he is the ultimate, or should I say the best ever....system QB.

Lose Belicheat and he's nowhere near as good.

RedEyE
01-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Rivers stands alone that monsterous list. He's the only QB that has provided little assitance to his team this year IMO.

X-Era
01-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Teams still standing...

Green Bay....Favre
Pats....Brady
Indy....Manning
Dallas...Romo
Giants...Eli
Chargers....Rivers

So unless Indy and Dallas are upset today, looks like the rule is if you have a very good/great QB, you're going to go pretty far. Just sayin' for those who point to this being a team game. (kidding)

Yes, teams can go all the way with average QBs (dilfer, rypien) but that means you need a ridiculously good team around him. And even then they are the exception.

I sure hope Trent continues to improve or we're in for another decade of mediocrity. :(

So half of the teams you list have QB's that arer only a bit better than average Rivers, Romo, Eli. I wouldnt say this is a resounding list to make your point.

I think the supporting cast matters just as much. In SD's case they have the best RB of the decade, and a very good defensive star in Merriman. Add in Antonio Gates and you have a perpetual playoff team. In the case of NYG you have Shockey, Strahan, and Burress For Dallas its Witten, TO, Roy Williams, Demarcus Ware.

To me the choice is to add a few stars. Terrell Suggs or Lance Briggs, maybe Malcolm Kelly from the draft, Haynseworth if we can convince ourselves hes got a good character. Yeah, we can be a playoff team. Trent can win games with more playmakers.

X-Era
01-13-2008, 01:10 PM

I cant stand it.

It may never be proven, and it may not be popular, but I am CONVINCED that Tom Brady would be average at best for any other team. He is the most overrated sports player in ANY sport EVER. Yes thats my honest opinion. Everyone knows how much of a clown I think he is.

jamze132
01-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I have to really disagree with you on this one. He is a very good QB but IMHO, not in the same class as Favre, Elway, Montana or Marino. He can't carry a team or do superhuman things...he is the ultimate, or should I say the best ever....system QB.

Lose Belicheat and he's nowhere near as good.
I think Tom Brady will be the best QB ever when he retires. He is right there now if you ask me.

Tom Brady has done things this year that not manyy QBs could or did do. And I will go so far as to say that about Favre, Montana, and Elway. Granted, Brady plays behind arguably the best O-line in the NFL, the guy makes every throw, every time. You can't disput that. Even last year when he didn't have anyone to throw the ball too, he still lit it up.

YardRat
01-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Brady deserves to mentioned with the best of all time, regardless of his surrounding cast and whether or not anybody likes it.

He, along with Favre and Manning, are HOF shoo-ins. The other three the jury is still out on them.

It certainly is a plus if you have a guy that can actually win games for you, but those are few and far between. The key is having somebody under center who isn't going to contribute too predominately in the losses.

TacklingDummy
01-13-2008, 02:11 PM
All those teams would still be in the Playoffs with JP Losman as their QB.

YardRat
01-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Rivers is out. So is LT...But SD just scored a go-ahead TD on Indy late in the fourth quarter.

acehole
01-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok but all of those teams mentioned have good/great deff, and stud te wr rb.

So well no way to confirm anything bob.

Teams still standing...

Green Bay....Favre
Pats....Brady
Indy....Manning
Dallas...Romo
Giants...Eli
Chargers....Rivers

YardRat
01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Billy Volek 1, Peyton Manning 0.

Case dismissed.

Michael82
01-13-2008, 03:31 PM
As of today, No! QB does not make the difference, but it will next week. Brady and his Patriots will dominate Rivers and the Chargers. :ill:

Night Train
01-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Well ,since they handle the ball on EVERY Offensive snap...

What is YES, Alex..

" Correct for $1200. Select again ! "

HHURRICANE
01-13-2008, 07:41 PM

Hmmm, maybe you should have waited.

With that said there is no doubt that QB is the most important player on any team.