PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips

T-Long
01-13-2008, 08:16 PM
What the hell does Wade do when he make the playoffs? First, it was Flutie and Johnson, and now its Jones and Barber III. Granted, Barber is a stud, but why the hell does he think he always has to change starters once the playoffs start? It's tough to give a guy his first start when its a divisional playoff game. I guess some things never change...

THATHURMANATOR
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Barber is the better back by far and generally gets more carries each game anyways. I don't see the problem here.

chernobylwraiths
01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Another bad decision by Phillips.

:D

Buffatexas
01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Cant be true... I am sure I saw a post somewhere where more than one person said that Ralph made the Johnson over Flutie call, not Wade.

Bone
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't think the change over the outcome of the game, Barber dicked on the Giants the first half, so I don't see how its a big deal, Barber should and will be the starter next year.

BSXIII
01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I thought that was a dumb move by Wade as well, although I'm glad he made it and I don't have to hear about Dallas anymore.

Barber is certainly the better back, but he's much more effective gettting limited carries. He just takes too many hits too be an every down back. As usual he looked great for his first 15 carries or so, but he wore down quick and was a non-factor in the 2nd half.

Most coaches understand the playoffs are not the time to experiment with new starters, but Wade out thought himself again.

feldspar
01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought that was a dumb move by Wade as well, although I'm glad he made it and I don't have to hear about Dallas anymore.

Barber is certainly the better back, but he's much more effective gettting limited carries. He just takes too many hits too be an every down back. As usual he looked great for his first 15 carries or so, but he wore down quick and was a non-factor in the 2nd half.

Most coaches understand the playoffs are not the time to experiment with new starters, but Wade out thought himself again.

Good post. I also think that, with the way he was running balls out, it was only a matter of time before Barber wore down. Starting him wasn't a bad move, but I think it was a mistake to not run Jones more later in the game, especially the fourth quarter. In the beginning and throughout the first half, Barber was a HUGE assett to the team.

At least, if (and when), the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, I can root for whoever they play. I would have a hard time rooting for the Cowboys, although I would have by default. God, I hate the Patriots. I hate them enough to root for the Cowboys, which is saying a lot.

Wilson made the decision to start Johnson over Flutie in the playoffs, not Phillips. I still think that might have cost us the Super Bowl.

I was just lurking on a few Cowboys message boards, and there are threads on every one of them calling to fire Wade Phillips right now. I know he has never won a playoff game, but firing him now would be a big mistake, and it won't happen. Look at Norv Turner this season...I'd love to see the Chargers beat the Patriots. It could happen...I hope Tomlinson and Rivers can play and Gates feels better...their 3 most crucial offensive skill players are hurting...If you remember, the Chargers should have beat the Patriots last year. They won the game everywhere except the scoreboard.

feldspar
01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Son of a Bum.

T-Long
01-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Cant be true... I am sure I saw a post somewhere where more than one person said that Ralph made the Johnson over Flutie call, not Wade.

It's still not known who made the decision, b/c I don't think either party said one way or another. Granted, it could be understood why Ralph would say Rob, considering he was dishing out 5 million a year for him. Phillips should have challenged him on it.

YardRat
01-14-2008, 12:22 AM
It's still not known who made the decision, b/c I don't think either party said one way or another. Granted, it could be understood why Ralph would say Rob, considering he was dishing out 5 million a year for him. Phillips should have challenged him on it.

Phillips lost his job, supposedly, for challenging Ralph on retaining a piss-poor ST coach so wouldn't it be somewhat out of character for him to not do the same with his starting QB? I still don't buy it.

Maybe Ralph actually wanted Flutie to start and the Jones incident just added fuel to the Johnson fire.

Let's be a little consistent here, folks. Everybody thinks Ralph is a cheap, meddling owner, but then change his motivations when it suits their arguments.

Ralph wanted Johnson to start over Flutie because he was paying him more money, but Ralph wants Edwards to start because he's cheaper? Which is it?
Flutie is the one that sold tickets, so if anything the 'bottom line is money' argument would lead one to believe Doug would have been Ralph's call if all he cared about was lining his pockets.

Captain gameboy
01-14-2008, 05:33 AM
I know the thread is about Wade, but wow, how many mistakes does an offense have to make?
Romo has Owens wide open on a cross at the three and throws some kind of end over end knuckler three yards behind him.
Romo takes two absolutely unnecessary sacks.
Romo has a rules interpretation blackout on a completely foolish intentional grounding.

Of the coachng staffs, its the Giants OC who had the worst fourth quarter.
How about a harmless play action that if it doesn't look good you throw it away?

Twice they are in a situation to put it away with very manageable second and third downs, knowing they have nothing left on defense, and twice they don't even try.

Jan Reimers
01-14-2008, 07:19 AM
I know the thread is about Wade, but wow, how many mistakes does an offense have to make?
Romo has Owens wide open on a cross at the three and throws some kind of end over end knuckler three yards behind him.
Romo takes two absolutely unnecessary sacks.
Romo has a rules interpretation blackout on a completely foolish intentional grounding.
I agree. The one change Wade should have made was starting his backup QB.

Romo really needs to accomplish something in this league before turning into the Playboy of the Western World. I think the guy has a bigger ego than Tom Brady, but he's done nothing yet to deserve it.

don137
01-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Romo looked a lot like Losman yesterday. He panicked back there and the game was going way too fast for him. Maybe he will mature but he is definitely looking like a choker and someone that can not handle the pressure.

colin
01-14-2008, 08:23 AM
that was a great game, hard for me to say who was the goat.

one thing about barber, he runs full force every down. he's not that big, and it wears him out. that's why i really like marshawn. lynch runs like a mofo possesed, but has the power to keep it up longer than barber. the way he ran after coming back from being hurt should tell you what a stud he is.

once we get a real big WR to go along w evans we will be running on 7 man fronts and lynch will just murder people.

Ickybaluky
01-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Perhaps it is the Curse of Doug Flutie (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=2061).

Typ0
01-14-2008, 10:00 AM

it's come out from too many people on the team that Wilson made that call.

bigbub2352
01-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Cause Phillips has had the fortune of being handed 2 very good rosters in his 2 stints as HC, Dallas was ready and so were the Bills, face facts Wade gets out coached, and that is why after we fired him, it took what 6-7yrs for him to land another HC job

G. Host
01-14-2008, 11:06 AM
it's come out from too many people on the team that Wilson made that call.

Wade was coach and could have used that set of bones between his hip and head called a backbone if he choose no matter how much pressure Wilson made on him. Unless Wilson was going to fire him and get on the field and coach their is not much more he can do other than threaten to not renew his contract.

kgun12
01-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Barber
CAR YDS AVG TD
M. Barber 27 129 4.8 1

Yes he had a bad 2nd half, but so did the whole Dallas team. I think the Giants just play better the 2nd half on both sides of the ball!

Oh and BTW Wade is an idiot!