PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Payroll - Guewss where the Bills stand...

Ebenezer
01-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Payroll is the actual dollar amount an NFL team paid its players this season. Due to amatorized bonuses and other things the payroll amount can exceed the actual salary cap amount. Guess where the Bills stand with regard to the rest of the league as far as payroll for the 2007 season (as of today).

No helping from Clump.

Night Train
01-14-2008, 02:12 AM
Payroll is the actual dollar amount an NFL team paid its players this season. Due to amatorized bonuses and other things the payroll amount can exceed the actual salary cap amount. Guess where the Bills stand with regard to the rest of the league as far as payroll for the 2007 season (as of today).

No helping from Clump.

I believe this was posted before.

4th

Ebenezer
01-14-2008, 02:13 AM
I believe this was posted before.

:huh:

missed it...oh, well.

LtFinFan66
01-14-2008, 02:53 AM
:lolpoint::eb:

YardRat
01-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Got a link, Eb? I'd like to check the list out.

Meathead
01-14-2008, 05:40 AM
ralph is cheap

RedEyE
01-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Could part of this reason be that the Bills are still paying for FAs that are no longer on the team? Just wondering...

TacklingDummy
01-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Could part of this reason be that the Bills are still paying for FAs that are no longer on the team? Just wondering...

Im not sure this is a reason. If I remember correctly the Bills dead cap is low.

Night Train
01-14-2008, 08:12 AM

I believe it was all the bonuses from recent signings were paid upfront. Not amortizing the bonuses means a ton of cap space this coming year.

Whether we use it or not is another story.

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Lowest in NFL History?

colin
01-14-2008, 08:28 AM
it is top 5.

the bills re-signed guys and paid it all out this year. that means we can spend our 30 bucks next season and whatever we have in 09 to power up our team and re-sign evans, edwards, peters, and anyone else who has it coming.

Jeff1220
01-14-2008, 08:57 AM
It seems that the Bills like to front load contracts with upfront bonuses rather than backload and spread out bonuses. Is that basically what we're seeing here?

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 09:11 AM
It seems that the Bills like to front load contracts with upfront bonuses rather than backload and spread out bonuses. Is that basically what we're seeing here?

Yes. It gives them money to spend every year and avoids using the cap like a "credit card".

RedEyE
01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, if it is true that the Bills salary lists in the top 5 then I for one am incredibly disgusted. It's one thing to call an owner cheap, its another to spend that kind of cash on a team that continually under performs.

No matter how you look at it, this team is in a significant amout of trouble and I think its going to take something as drastic as new ownership to float this sinking ship. Let's just hope its not too late.

yordad
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I think all that means is other teams had more deap cap space. It doesn't mean we spent more, just means they spent sooner.

Although I can't be sure because there is no link.

Meathead
01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
yes this is the cash to cap model they talked about

the advantage is that you have a much more consistent availability of cash every year to spend on free agents and resigning your own players

the disadvantage is that you cant load up on high priced players for a short term run at a champtionship

bottom line: you should be more competitive on a consisten basis year after year. and considering the very infrequent success of 'buying' a championship i highly prefer this approach personally

of course this should permanently end all claims that ralph is cheap but we all know it surely wont

BidsJr
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM

the advantage is that you have a much more consistent availability of cash every year to spend on free agents and resigning your own players

the disadvantage is that you cant load up on high priced players for a short term run at a champtionship

bottom line: you should be more competitive on a consisten basis year after year. and considering the very infrequent success of 'buying' a championship i highly prefer this approach personally

of course this should permanently end all claims that ralph is cheap but we all know it surely wont

Now that Ralph is paying big bucks the team is underperforming!

:rofl:

yordad
01-14-2008, 06:20 PM

of course this should permanently end all claims that ralph is cheap but we all know it surely wontCompetitive, or average? The "Ralph is cheap" stems from the fact he instituted cash to cap, and then didn't spend all the way to the cap. Non-spent cash dollars go into his pocket, they don't roll over until next year. I have seen figures showing 10 million + non-spent cash to cap dollars.

I, for one, like to mortgage the future in cycles. A few good years, followed by a few bad years. I think it is better than all average years. At some point you can get a winning name, and players take pay cuts to play for you. This can help you stay competitive for the years with higher dead cap space. Look at the Pats.

You just have to capitalize during those peak years.

clumping platelets
01-14-2008, 08:16 PM

No helping from Clump.

:mad:

LifetimeBillsFan
01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
One thing that a lot of people are not taking into consideration is the fact that, using cash to the cap, the team has to leave a reserve to pay for players that are brought in to replace those who are injured.

Now, it's true that most of the waiver wire pickups and street free agents are signed for the league minimum, but that's not always the case, especially with players who might have a choice of signing with more than one club (a M.Gaines, B.Scott, J.Butler-type player). But, even if we are just talking about minimum salaries, when a team has a rash of injuries like the Bills did this season, the amount of money that they can end up laying out--not for great players, but just to fill out their roster--can add up.

If you are talking about 10 free agents at an average of $ 400,000 apiece, that's $ 4 million.

I don't know what the numbers were for the Bills this year, but they did put 17 players on IR and must have brought in at least a dozen, either on the active roster or on the practice squad over the course of the season. If you add everything up, that would bring the amount that the team ended up spending on salaries this season up by more than just a little bit.

That could account for the disparity between what some sources said that the Bills had as a reserve when the season started and what the Bills were reported to have spent in relation to other teams by the end of the season.

(I know that I read somewhere near the end of the season that the Bills were nearing their self-imposed (ie cash-to-the-cap) salary cap limitation due to all of the injuries, but I can't remember where I read it or I would cite the source, it may have been the Buffalo News....)

yordad
01-15-2008, 10:13 AM
(I know that I read somewhere near the end of the season that the Bills were nearing their self-imposed (ie cash-to-the-cap) salary cap limitation due to all of the injuries, but I can't remember where I read it or I would cite the source, it may have been the Buffalo News....)Well, I would be really interested in seeing that.