• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hydro014
    • May 2004

Nor'Easter (day off) Bills off season and draft

My Nor’easter (day off )bills off-season

I had a day off today because of the Nor’easter that is coming through NE today. So I thought I would cover my ideal off season, what the Bills need in my opinion and where they get it. I know a lot of people will not like what I would do this off season, but after watching the playoff games this past weekend this is what I want the bills to do. Look at the teams in the Conf Championships: NYG #1 Sacks for the season, NE #2, SD #5. #3 and #4 Dallas and Seattle, also playoff teams. Bottom line is we really need to put pressure on the opposing QBs.

In my opinion at the 11th pick we still need improvements at a lot of positions. Marv did a great job at stock piling picks for this year, which looks like a very impressive draft class. We all know that he did very well at drafting last year and we had a lot of injuries, which gives us a great core coming back for next year.

These are my team needs for next year. They are all important so I am not putting a level of which one we need more.

WR – (common sense) Price is not a number 2. None of the WR in this draft are worth the 11th pick and rookie wide outs just don’t produce like vets. We must sign a FA WR.
    - Bryant Johnson will not be resigned by AZ b/c they have to rework Fitz’s deal and they have Boldin so they will not pay him. Johnson runs great routes, has good hands, and at 6’3” his size makes him an appealing option.

WLB – Ellison is a back up. We have a few options here.
    - Karlos Dansby has excellent size he’s only 26 years old and has three consecutive seasons of 80 or more tackles.
    - Boss Bailey has strong coverage skills and works hard to make plays. He’ physically gifted, but he has battled injury during his young career and hasn’t had a chance to show consistent play
    - Lance Briggs, Well I can dream right.
    As long as we get one of these three I would be very excited.

C – I am sick of watching Fowler get blown up. If he could stay on his feet and fall in front of his guy on the last play of the Cleveland game Jackson may get into the endzone. I don’t really like anybody in FA. Therefore, I think we are stuck with him for one more year. We draft a center.

TE – Royal is not a threat. Gaines is a beast but drops to many balls in key situations. I don’t think we sign a FA. The only one I somewhat like is Troupe from Tenn. I do think that this TE draft class is really good, we draft a TE day 1.

CB – We need depth and a starter on the other side of McGee.
    - Marcus Trufant’s contract has been voided based on playing time and given the team’s commitment to other players at his position, it appears that the cornerback will be looking for a starting position elsewhere. I don’t think we sign him but I think he would be a good pick up.
    - Asante Samuel, Will not happen
    I think we draft a CB round 3-4 and the Bills go with what we have for next year.

DT – I really don’t think we sign a FA here either. We draft one day 1. Even though DT take a few years to develop.

Off season trades – JP for a 2009 draft pick

Draft:
    My dream draft, with some additions in FA

1. Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State– He may very well be gone but after watching the playoff games and realizing how important pressure on the QB is, We need a freak on the other side of Schobel. Look at the NYG depth on the DL and how important that was to putting pressure on Romo. Remember we play Brady 2x a year. Having Schobel, Gholston, Kelsay, and Hargrove, is a very good rotation, I would trade Denney.

2. Pat Sims DT Auburn – McCargo will get more playing time. Williams is NOT a starter, Tripplet is just ok. Sims will fight for the starting role We need more depth

3. A. JustinKingCBPennState – We need more depth and he can play, always lined up against other teams best WR.
    B. John Carlson TE ND - Physical, good hands, we need a TE bad.

4. A. John Sulivan C ND – Fowlers future replacement
    B. Comp Pick ( I hope, not really sure b/c we signed Dock and Walker) Owen Schmitt FB WV – We need a real blocker for Lynch.

5. A. Barry Richardson OT Clemson – Chambers got destroyed when Peters was out. We need a better back up
    B. Mario Urruttia WR Louisville – I cant believe I waited this long either. But with Bryant Johnson Signed it moved down the need list.

6. Kevin O’Connell QB San DiegoState – A future back up to Edwards. #3 on depth chart behind FA vet #2 QB

7. A. Bo Ruud OLB Nebraska – Can’t pass up the pedigree
    B. Maurice Murray DT New MexicoState – Whatever

Draft positions taken from nfldraftscout.com

Depth Chart

WR – Evans, Parrish, Aiken
    TE – Carlson ( R), Royal, Gaines
    RT – Walker, Richardson (R )
    RG - Butler, Preston
    C – Fowler, Sulivan (R )
    LG – Dockery, Preston
    LT – Peters, Richardson (R )
    WR – Johnson (FA), Reed, Urruttia (R )
    FB – Schmitt (R ), Gaines
    RB – Lynch, Jackson, Wright, Thomas
    QB – Edwards, FA Vet, O’Connell (R)

LCB – Mcgee, Youboty
    LDE – Gholston (R), Kelsay
    DT – McCargo, Tripplet, Sims(R), Williams
    RDE – Schobel, Hargrove
    RCB – Greer, Thomas, King (R)
    SLB – Crowell, Stamer
    MLB- Poz, DiGiorgio
    WLB – Dansby (FA), Ellison, Haggen
    SS – Whitner, FA hopefully maybe Doss
    FS – Simpson , Wilson, Wendling

Well, Let me know what you think. I think this really improves our team for next year and hopefully get us a wild card (Pats may go 16-0 next year too). Remember that this is just my opinion and trying to predict the draft is like trying to win the lotto.
    Last edited by hydro014; 01-14-2008, 11:43 AM.
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Re: Nor'Easter (day off) Bills off season and draft

Hi SAB!

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I'd go in a little different direction though.

Priority #1... Get O... Specifically red zone O
    1) Sign Bryant Johnson
    2) Round 1 WR Malcomb Kelly or TE Fred Davis
    3) Round 2 TE Martin Rucker or WR Adarius Bowman
    4) Round 4 TE Dustin Keller

Priority #2... Stop the run
    1) Sign and start Anthony Hargrove at RDE
    2) Move Aaron Schobel to OLB
    3) Round 3a DT Red Bryant

Priority #3... Solidify secondary with a little size
    1) Round 3b CB Charles Godfrey

Priority #4... Add depth at DE
    1) Round 5a DE Chris Harrington

Priority #5... Add depth/Fowler's eventual replacement at center
    1) Round 5b C Jamey Richard

Priority #6...Depth at LB
    1) Move DiGiorgio to OLB
    2) Round 6 ILB Ben Moffitt

Priority #7...Depth/future O-line
    1) Sign Jason Whittle
    2) Round 7a OG Shannon Tevage
    3) Round 7b OT Breno Giacomini

Comment

• Ferrygoat
      • Feb 2005

The New York Giants have 3 DE's with 9 or more sacks which is the same amount of sacks by Schobel (6.5) and Kelsay (2.5) combined. We definitely need to upgrade our DE's because obviously paying them more money doesnt increase the production on the field.

Comment

• bigbub2352
        • Feb 2005

very good post man, i agree with alot of what your sayin
        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Im not sure Gholston can be a 4-3 down lineman, he is better suited for the 3-4 hybrid role, but it is possible.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by hydro014
            My Nor’easter (day off )bills off-season

I had a day off today because of the Nor’easter that is coming through NE today. So I thought I would cover my ideal off season, what the Bills need in my opinion and where they get it. I know a lot of people will not like what I would do this off season, but after watching the playoff games this past weekend this is what I want the bills to do. Look at the teams in the Conf Championships: NYG #1 Sacks for the season, NE #2, SD #5. #3 and #4 Dallas and Seattle, also playoff teams. Bottom line is we really need to put pressure on the opposing QBs.

In my opinion at the 11th pick we still need improvements at a lot of positions. Marv did a great job at stock piling picks for this year, which looks like a very impressive draft class. We all know that he did very well at drafting last year and we had a lot of injuries, which gives us a great core coming back for next year.

These are my team needs for next year. They are all important so I am not putting a level of which one we need more.

WR – (common sense) Price is not a number 2. None of the WR in this draft are worth the 11th pick and rookie wide outs just don’t produce like vets. We must sign a FA WR.
            - Bryant Johnson will not be resigned by AZ b/c they have to rework Fitz’s deal and they have Boldin so they will not pay him. Johnson runs great routes, has good hands, and at 6’3” his size makes him an appealing option.

WLB – Ellison is a back up. We have a few options here.
            - Karlos Dansby has excellent size he’s only 26 years old and has three consecutive seasons of 80 or more tackles.
            - Boss Bailey has strong coverage skills and works hard to make plays. He’ physically gifted, but he has battled injury during his young career and hasn’t had a chance to show consistent play
            - Lance Briggs, Well I can dream right.
            As long as we get one of these three I would be very excited.

C – I am sick of watching Fowler get blown up. If he could stay on his feet and fall in front of his guy on the last play of the Cleveland game Jackson may get into the endzone. I don’t really like anybody in FA. Therefore, I think we are stuck with him for one more year. We draft a center.

TE – Royal is not a threat. Gaines is a beast but drops to many balls in key situations. I don’t think we sign a FA. The only one I somewhat like is Troupe from Tenn. I do think that this TE draft class is really good, we draft a TE day 1.

CB – We need depth and a starter on the other side of McGee.
            - Marcus Trufant’s contract has been voided based on playing time and given the team’s commitment to other players at his position, it appears that the cornerback will be looking for a starting position elsewhere. I don’t think we sign him but I think he would be a good pick up.
            - Asante Samuel, Will not happen
            I think we draft a CB round 3-4 and the Bills go with what we have for next year.

DT – I really don’t think we sign a FA here either. We draft one day 1. Even though DT take a few years to develop.

Off season trades – JP for a 2009 draft pick

Draft:
            My dream draft, with some additions in FA

1. Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State– He may very well be gone but after watching the playoff games and realizing how important pressure on the QB is, We need a freak on the other side of Schobel. Look at the NYG depth on the DL and how important that was to putting pressure on Romo. Remember we play Brady 2x a year. Having Schobel, Gholston, Kelsay, and Hargrove, is a very good rotation, I would trade Denney.

2. Pat Sims DT Auburn – McCargo will get more playing time. Williams is NOT a starter, Tripplet is just ok. Sims will fight for the starting role We need more depth

3. A. JustinKingCBPennState – We need more depth and he can play, always lined up against other teams best WR.
            B. John Carlson TE ND - Physical, good hands, we need a TE bad.

4. A. John Sulivan C ND – Fowlers future replacement
            B. Comp Pick ( I hope, not really sure b/c we signed Dock and Walker) Owen Schmitt FB WV – We need a real blocker for Lynch.

5. A. Barry Richardson OT Clemson – Chambers got destroyed when Peters was out. We need a better back up
            B. Mario Urruttia WR Louisville – I cant believe I waited this long either. But with Bryant Johnson Signed it moved down the need list.

6. Kevin O’Connell QB San DiegoState – A future back up to Edwards. #3 on depth chart behind FA vet #2 QB

7. A. Bo Ruud OLB Nebraska – Can’t pass up the pedigree
            B. Maurice Murray DT New MexicoState – Whatever

Draft positions taken from nfldraftscout.com

Depth Chart

WR – Evans, Parrish, Aiken
            TE – Carlson ( R), Royal, Gaines
            RT – Walker, Richardson (R )
            RG - Butler, Preston
            C – Fowler, Sulivan (R )
            LG – Dockery, Preston
            LT – Peters, Richardson (R )
            WR – Johnson (FA), Reed, Urruttia (R )
            FB – Schmitt (R ), Gaines
            RB – Lynch, Jackson, Wright, Thomas
            QB – Edwards, FA Vet, O’Connell (R)

LCB – Mcgee, Youboty
            LDE – Gholston (R), Kelsay
            DT – McCargo, Tripplet, Sims(R), Williams
            RDE – Schobel, Hargrove
            RCB – Greer, Thomas, King (R)
            SLB – Crowell, Stamer
            MLB- Poz, DiGiorgio
            WLB – Dansby (FA), Ellison, Haggen
            SS – Whitner, FA hopefully maybe Doss
            FS – Simpson , Wilson, Wendling

Well, Let me know what you think. I think this really improves our team for next year and hopefully get us a wild card (Pats may go 16-0 next year too). Remember that this is just my opinion and trying to predict the draft is like trying to win the lotto.
            If Vernon Gholston is there I really hope they take him... Schobel will be 31 in august I think so having his replacement ready is a good idea. Gholston is a beast and is perfect for our scheme. I just doubt he gets passed the Bengals.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              Im not sure Gholston can be a 4-3 down lineman, he is better suited for the 3-4 hybrid role, but it is possible.
              He's 6'4 264... I would say thats ideal for a cover 2. He's bigger than Freeney and Schobel.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                He's 6'4 264... I would say thats ideal for a cover 2. He's bigger than Freeney and Schobel.

Hmmm, well there has been a lot of talk about him being a better 3-4 OLB then 4-3 DE but I guess that could be all for not. Thanks for pointing that out. I still dont see us going DE in Rd1 though
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• Ferrygoat
                  • Feb 2005

Hmmm, well there has been a lot of talk about him being a better 3-4 OLB then 4-3 DE but I guess that could be all for not. Thanks for pointing that out. I still dont see us going DE in Rd1 though
                  I think that the only way we go DE in the 1st is if we pick up a WR or LB in free agency

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

It wouldnt surprise me, DE is the most crucial position on our D. If Schobel or Kelsay are out we are done. Gholston would be excellent value at #11 if he were to fall to us. He would probably emerge as a starter and push Kelsay and Denney down to #3 and #4 where they should be. There would have to be a very good player still on the board for them to pass up Gholston.

The way I see it the top 11 players as of now are:

Dorsey
                    McFadden
                    Jake Long
                    Chris Long
                    Vernon Gholston
                    Sedrick Ellis
                    Andre Woodson
                    Matt Ryan
                    Kenny Philips
                    Derrick Harvey
                    Malcolm Jenkins

I would be happy with Derrick Harvey also actually,,,, same size as Gholston,,, 6'4 262.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ferrygoat
                      I think that the only way we go DE in the 1st is if we pick up a WR or LB in free agency
                      Do you think we would take a WR @ #11?

Comment

• hydro014
                        • May 2004

It wouldnt surprise me, DE is the most crucial position on our D. If Schobel or Kelsay are out we are done. Gholston would be excellent value at #11 if he were to fall to us. He would probably emerge as a starter and push Kelsay and Denney down to #3 and #4 where they should be. There would have to be a very good player still on the board for them to pass up Gholston.

Dorsey
                        McFadden
                        Jake Long
                        Chris Long
                        Vernon Gholston
                        Sedrick Ellis
                        Andre Woodson
                        Matt Ryan
                        Kenny Philips
                        Derrick Harvey
                        Malcolm Jenkins

I would be happy with Derrick Harvey also actually,,,, same size as Gholston,,, 6'4 262.
                        I could not agree with you more. Melcom Jenkins is going back to school I would maybe put Mike Jenkins/Rivers/Connor in that last spot. Anyway, The only way we do this above situation is if we get a FA WLB and WR. Also, thier is not a TE or WR in this draft worth that 11 pick. So IMO WR and TE is not an option at 11.

Comment

• Ferrygoat
                          • Feb 2005

Do you think we would take a WR @ #11?
                          I dont think we will take a WR at 11 because i dont think there is a WR worth it, but if we do not address WR in free agency then i think they would have to pick one up in the 2nd or 3rd.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Dorsey
                            McFadden
                            Jake Long
                            Chris Long
                            Vernon Gholston
                            Sedrick Ellis
                            Andre Woodson
                            Matt Ryan
                            Kenny Philips
                            Derrick Harvey
                            Malcolm Jenkins

I only see 6 of those guys as definite top 10 picks
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

I only see 6 of those guys as definite top 10 picks
                              Fair enough I can agree with that... I just feel that top QBs, pass rushers and CBs will always be coveted in the top 10 which is why I had Gholston, Woodson, Ryan, Harvey and Jenkins. I also think that all 5 of these guys will have monster workouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X