PDA

View Full Version : Campbell won't negotiate with Sabres until after season

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
The chance to re-sign Sabres defenseman Brian Campbell has passed for now. Campbell said today he is done negotiating with the team until the end of the season. Campbell, the Sabres' lone All-Star, becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/251445.html

It sounds as if they tried (and we know they did earlier this year) and we also heard Campbell's agent *****ing a few weeks ago about the lack/slowness of negotiations.

Personally, I will not miss him if he leaves as much as Drury or Briere.

He willbe even more overpaid than some of the other FA's.

I would like to know how much was worked on this earlier this year.

bigbub2352
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
****ing Larry Quinn, we are gonna be known as the team that devlops talent for other teams

Michael82
01-14-2008, 12:48 PM
PATHETIC! Nice job, Darcy! :puke:

RockStar36
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm at a loss of words. No matter what lets always back the players. Lets overpay no matter who it is. The players are always right, the FO is always wrong.

mchurchfie
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
We will miss his puck handling but his defense in his own end left something to be desired. We should have negotiated with him before his season gathered steam . I doubt if Quinn was actually serious about dealing with him anyways. Him and Golisano are two cheap bastards.:cynic: We should trade him before the deadline and at least get something for him.

mchurchfie
01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm at a loss of words. No matter what lets always back the players. Lets overpay no matter who it is. The players are always right, the FO is always wrong.
Our FO and their history speaks for itself, why wouldn't we be skeptical about them? Everyone else is getting their good players under contract, look at Ottawa.

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 01:03 PM
PATHETIC! Nice job, Darcy! :puke:

lol!

It always Darcy isn't it?

Nothing to do with Quinn or your boy in Rochester, huh?

Dude
01-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I blame The Slug.<sup>TM</sup>

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm going to blame this on your brother too.

camelcowboy
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
trade him, might as well get someone to overpay for him. once they say they won't negotiate till the end of the season that means they won't negotiate at all. He's a good defensemen but he's overated. I'll stand behind the sabres on this one. The kind of money he can get on the market he's not worth. Might as well blow it up now and get some value instead of losing these players for nothing. The damage has already been done with the lose of drury and briere. I saw blow it up vanek, stafford, mcarthur, roy, miller are the core. time to rebuild around them. Hell trade miller as well enroth looks like a stud, im just done with this team good job darcy way to miss the window.

Dude
01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm going to blame this on your brother too.While you're at it, blame him for not resigning Drury, Briere, et al, and for the Sabres not winning the Cup. :up:

BlackMetalNinja
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
This is a perfect reminder of why I've stopped posting in here... There is a thread about Campbell being an All Star where everybody is *****ing and saying he's not deserving and he hasn't played well and blah blah blah...

Now you're all going to ***** about how we're not throwing a bunch of cash at him to keep him here??

What the hell do you guys want... besides something you can ***** about?

mchurchfie
01-14-2008, 01:35 PM
This is a perfect reminder of why I've stopped posting in here... There is a thread about Campbell being an All Star where everybody is *****ing and saying he's not deserving and he hasn't played well and blah blah blah...

Now you're all going to ***** about how we're not throwing a bunch of cash at him to keep him here??

What the hell do you guys want... besides something you can ***** about?
My ***** is that if they would have got this done earlier we wouldn't have to pay him all-start money. This FO has no foresight when it comes to paying players. They say they have changed their negotiating policies but we are going down the same road again. It is too late now, I wouldn't want Soupy back because we probably will have to overpay him. I think we have plenty to not be happy about once again. I still have a bad taste when I think of last years negotiating or lack there of debacle. It is pretty clear that they have no intent on bargaining in good faith to keep their good players. They are too ****ing cheap.

Philagape
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
This FO has no foresight when it comes to paying players.

Ding ding ding.

They're like students who don't start their term paper until the night before it's due. Their tactics are slow-footed, alienating and just plain dumb, and they act like victims of skyrocketing salaries when in fact they're part of the problem. Pussyfooting contributes to overpaying; it's the open market that drives up salaries, and the only way to keep them in check is for teams to lock up their players way in advance, and foster loyalty and good faith. That doesn't exist here.

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
They couldn't negotiate with him until this season, as per the CBA.

And he was an All-Star last year, so that cat was out of the bag.

BlackMetalNinja
01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
So we're supposed to re-negotiate contracts mid way through them... when we have no clue what's going to be going on 2 years down the road??? And this still doesn't account for those saying he's not deserving of All Star status and that's he's playing like crap all the sudden *****ing because we didn't resign him ahead of time...

If we had, you'd just be complaining that we're paying him too much money for his horrible play, just like Vanek...

I stick to my original theory... you guys just need something to ***** about at all times.

mchurchfie
01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I stick to my original theory... you guys just need something to ***** about at all times.
We're just calling a spade a spade. Whether anyone wants to look beyond their rosecolored glasses or not, the fact remains that the FO is ****ing up what use to be a top contender in the NHL. How can you let players go like you did last year, go from a President's Cup winner to a bottomfeeder team that will probably not make the POs this year and be content with that. I'd say we have plenty of reason to *****. It makes me sick to my stomach when I think of what has and is happening to this team.:puke: This Fo just sits back and takes it up the ass every chance it gets so it doesn't have to open up the wallet.

Philagape
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
So we're supposed to re-negotiate contracts mid way through them... when we have no clue what's going to be going on 2 years down the road??? And this still doesn't account for those saying he's not deserving of All Star status and that's he's playing like crap all the sudden *****ing because we didn't resign him ahead of time...

If we had, you'd just be complaining that we're paying him too much money for his horrible play, just like Vanek...

That theory would be valid only if there was nothing to ***** about. There is.

The team has gone from an elite contender to a mediocre also-ran in one season, and a big reason is losing its top two players and leaders when that could have been prevented. That's not enough to ***** about???

And how much a player makes and how he plays are two different issues. If a player is overpaid AND he's not playing up to expectations, then that's two things to ***** about. One's on the team, and one's on the player.

And signing players a year before their contract is up is not uncommon. One of the top priorities every offseason should be deciding the future of players whose contracts are up the following offseason. You do it then because there's no competition driving up salaries. Coming to a reasonable deal shouldn't be hard for a team where loyalty is bred. Foot-dragging and half-assed fear of commitment will only make the player understandably want to look elsewhere, so if nothing's done by January, that's usually too late.

JD
01-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Hahaha wow. Might as well let stafford and roy walk too since were cleaning house of its stars. Campbell is having a rough year, but it cant just fall on him. This team is full of pansies who lack heart.

Nighthawk
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
The chance to re-sign Sabres defenseman Brian Campbell has passed for now. Campbell said today he is done negotiating with the team until the end of the season. Campbell, the Sabres' lone All-Star, becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/251445.html

It sounds as if they tried (and we know they did earlier this year) and we also heard Campbell's agent *****ing a few weeks ago about the lack/slowness of negotiations.

Personally, I will not miss him if he leaves as much as Drury or Briere.

He willbe even more overpaid than some of the other FA's.

I would like to know how much was worked on this earlier this year.

Another top talent being lost is not good...no matter how much spin you put on it. This organization does not care about winning and if they indeed let Campbell get away, it is very evident that it is very unlikely we see a Championship under this regime. What a shame, just when you thought this organization was moving in the right direction, it goes and becomes one of the worst in the NHL. Welcome to Buffalo where mediocrity is everywhere!

SabreEleven
01-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Campbell on the market at the end of the season? He'll have a awesome 2nd half fer sure...

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Another top talent being lost is not good...no matter how much spin you put on it. This organization does not care about winning and if they indeed let Campbell get away, it is very evident that it is very unlikely we see a Championship under this regime. What a shame, just when you thought this organization was moving in the right direction, it goes and becomes one of the worst in the NHL. Welcome to Buffalo where mediocrity is everywhere!

How are they letting Campbell get away when he is the one cutting off negogations?

Are they supposed to kidnap him and force him to sign?

They have tried with this guy and were trying earlier in the season too. This is not a repeat of last season, when they did no try to re-sign the players when they could. They tried with Campbell.

Meathead
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
true but this is still fall out from last seasons botched management

word is that the sides are miles apart. find fault with soupys game if you want but he remains overall an elite defenseman who will be somewhere between the first and third most coveted defenseman available

i think there was the ability to get some kind of hometown discount but if they are 'miles' apart they either wont or cant pony up even that level of money. my guess is that vanek is holding some of soupys money. and thats only because they so thoroughly bushed the situation last year. if you sign either of the the two captains you let vanek walk, save that dough, and now could give soupy the five per that would keep him instead of the six plus he will get in the summer

its like living through the dummy kind escapades except in sports. the failures just keep cascading

worst. management. blunder. in. buffalo. sports. history.

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Except 5 million per is probably too much.

Next year they have to try and extend Miller. What will that cost? If you have One of last year's captains at 6 per, Soupy at 5 per and Miller at 6 per, that is 17 million out of ~50 in 3 guys.

Does that really work?

Nighthawk
01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
How are they letting Campbell get away when he is the one cutting off negogations?

Are they supposed to kidnap him and force him to sign?

They have tried with this guy and were trying earlier in the season too. This is not a repeat of last season, when they did no try to re-sign the players when they could. They tried with Campbell.

Sorry, but you're wrong. They could have signed him for 5 million per year in the summer...they didn't. You need to face facts that this FO is a bunch of f**k ups when it comes to operating a hockey team. They have let a passion that I've never seen for one team get away and now many fans will turn against this organization. I'm sorry, but if you don't agree, let's talk in a couple of years when this team is yet again a bottom dweller.

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Sorry, but you're wrong. They could have signed him for 5 million per year in the summer...they didn't. You need to face facts that this FO is a bunch of f**k ups when it comes to operating a hockey team. They have let a passion that I've never seen for one team get away and now many fans will turn against this organization. I'm sorry, but if you don't agree, let's talk in a couple of years when this team is yet again a bottom dweller.

We will disagree then.

5 million per is too high for Campbell, especially with Miller coming up next year.

YardRat
01-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the world of professional sports economics, WNY style.

Face it. As long as there are two professional franchises in this region, neither will be able to afford to spend what it takes to build a championship team.

Either accept mediocrity, almost, so-close, and wait-until-next-year or let one of them go.

clumping platelets
01-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Trade him and get something for him

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-14-2008, 10:36 PM
this changes the story a little bit

WGRZ's Ed Kilgore just reported in sports,

There are reports Campbell would be worth in the vicinity of $6 million per season on the open market, and that the Sabres have offered him far less. I'm told the Sabres offer is shy of that, but not so short the offer could be called "far" less.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/columnist/AsISeeIt_Article.aspx?storyid=54446

SabreEleven
01-14-2008, 11:54 PM
2nd All-Star nomination put him way out of the Sabres price range. Let some one else over pay for him.

JD
01-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Campbell seen the offer Paneuf was getting. Money hungry, thats all it boils down to.

We'll see a lockout soon, or a GM strike. Either or.

Ebenezer
01-15-2008, 12:12 AM
with the deterioration of the team why would Campbell want to stay here...

where is all this proof of players "Wanting to stay here"? That's PR folks. Put yourself in their skates...most people would go for the green.

Michael82
01-15-2008, 12:47 AM
We will disagree then.

5 million per is too high for Campbell, especially with Miller coming up next year.
If you think $5 million is too high, then apparently you haven't seen what kind of money these guys have been getting. You must believe that $10 million is insane for Vanek and you are right, but thats the way the league is going. Baseball style! :ill:

Dr. Lecter
01-15-2008, 05:59 AM
If you think $5 million is too high, then apparently you haven't seen what kind of money these guys have been getting. You must believe that $10 million is insane for Vanek and you are right, but thats the way the league is going. Baseball style! :ill:

Vanek is not getting 10 million per year.

BTW, did anybody see the interview with Campbell last night?

He basically said it was not fair to his teammates to negogiate now.

Dr. Lecter
01-15-2008, 06:01 AM
with the deterioration of the team why would Campbell want to stay here...

where is all this proof of players "Wanting to stay here"? That's PR folks. Put yourself in their skates...most people would go for the green.

If you look at the two guys that left, they really are not in much better situations.

Problemis, even after losing these guys the Sabres are damn near the cap and still have Miller, Stafford and others coming due soon.

It will be interesting ina year or two to see inf ANY teams have money left to spend.

Meathead
01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Except 5 million per is probably too much.

If you have One of last year's captains at 6 per, Soupy at 5 per and Miller at 6 per, that is 17 million out of ~50 in 3 guys.

Does that really work?
i hate to say it

i mean a reeally hate to say it

but you may be right

but you also may be wrong

soup is right on the boarder for me whether hes worth that. given that hes very good right now and it appears hes continuing to get better i would say he probably is. hes a crucial part of the team, he does everything and things nobody else on the d can do, and i personally rate him their best defenseman. losing him is going to be a major blow imo

and i have to come back to the vanek thing. if they dont botch that situation they let him walk and have money to spend on brian. and right now that looks like a super easy trade of salary, id take campbell a thousand times at five over what we are getting for vanek. hopefully that will change soon but thats a no brainer at this point

but sadly it looks like a fait accompli. brians gone. ***K!!