Anyone else concerned with Kelsay & Schobel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferrygoat
    • Feb 2005

Anyone else concerned with Kelsay & Schobel?

Schobel (6.5) and Kelsay (2.5) combined for a total of 9 sacks this season. There were 3 New york Giants DE's with 9 or more sacks, Tuck (10), Strahan (9), and Umenyiora (13). These 3 DE's combined to have 6 more sacks than the entire Bills team. I know we just locked Schobel and Kelsay up with big contracts but i think they have to do something to get pressure on the QB. We need a DE on the opposite side of Schobel to get some pressure while he's getting double teamed.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Anyone else concerned with Kelsay & Schobel?

I agree. I've been advocating taking a pass rushing DE early in the draft.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ferrygoat
      Schobel (6.5) and Kelsay (2.5) combined for a total of 9 sacks this season. There were 3 New york Giants DE's with 9 or more sacks, Tuck (10), Strahan (9), and Umenyiora (13). These 3 DE's combined to have 6 more sacks than the entire Bills team. I know we just locked Schobel and Kelsay up with big contracts but i think they have to do something to get pressure on the QB. We need a DE on the opposite side of Schobel to get some pressure while he's getting double teamed.
      Im concerned about Kelsay and Tripplett.... Tripplett simply doesnt get enough pressure on QBs. They always have the luxury of stepping up in the pocket. Kelsay didnt get enough QB pressures either. He had a couple of big plays all year and was quiet otherwise.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

i think losing poz really hurt the pass rush. one thing very obvious was that he has an excellent nose for the ball on running plays. with him out the linemen had to be more concerned with watching for the run than they would have with poz in there

even with that said i dont know how you cant be concerned with our ends. i mean i think theyre good but not great and probably not worth the money they spend on them. thats a problem that handicaps the entire team because they have less to spend upgrading the rotation that would make the whole unit better
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
          • Sep 2007

You can put another guy opposite of Schobel and it still wont matter. We need some big defensive tackles in the middle to draw double teams.
          To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Meathead
            i think losing poz really hurt the pass rush. one thing very obvious was that he has an excellent nose for the ball on running plays. with him out the linemen had to be more concerned with watching for the run than they would have with poz in there

even with that said i dont know how you cant be concerned with our ends. i mean i think theyre good but not great and probably not worth the money they spend on them. thats a problem that handicaps the entire team because they have less to spend upgrading the rotation that would make the whole unit better
            Interesting. The defense was terrible when Poz was playing early in the season. In the long run I expect him to be a solid player, but I don't think his absence had anything to do with the lack of pass rush from the DEs this year.

I think one of the problems was the weight loss by Schobel and Kelsay in the off-season. Both need to bulk up to 2006 levels to regain their effectiveness.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard
              You can put another guy opposite of Schobel and it still wont matter. We need some big defensive tackles in the middle to draw double teams.
              That's not the style of defense we play. The cover 2 requires DTs that slip by blocks not absorb double teams.

Thats why Minnesota struggles against the pass so much. They run a cover 2 with 2 giant DTs and big slow DEs. Sure they stuff the run but teams throw on them all day. Our problem is we dont have a dominant cover 2 DT like Tommie Harris or Raheem Brock.

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Interestingly, Osi and Strahan had only 9 sacks between them in 2006.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I'm not worried, they'll be fine next year.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• hydro014
                    • May 2004

If you look at the teams in the conf championships NYG have the most sacks for the season, NE has the 2nd most, SD is 5th. The 3rd and 4th teams with the most sacks is Dallas and Seattle, also playoff teams. The bottom line is the only way to slow down the great QBs is the pressure them: Brady - look at the only team to slow him down, eagles pressured him all day. Romo - the NYG were all over him. P. Manning didnt have a lot of time either. Not only that, but the Cover 2 D is designed to have pressure on the QB on every snap. We don't get that at all. IMO if you want to watch Brady pick us apart every game for the next decade keep our DE the way they are. Yeah we are paying them very well but come on the cap goes up every year, everybody is making more money. I want a DE that puts fear in the QB everytime he drops back. We need DT's too, but they take a little while to develop and I dont see use getting anyone worth anything this year for FA. McCargo will be better next year and we need to draft one in 2nd or 3rd round.

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      I agree. I've been advocating taking a pass rushing DE early in the draft.
                      Number one priority IMO. We need a disruptor. That and a bonafide double team DT.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

I've seen Schobel 30 yards down the sidelines, trying to cover a RB.

When you run a bad scheme, the stats are predictable.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Better CBs help too. I think our DEs may heve been the beneficiaries of coverage that lasted longer last year. Coverage sacks.
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

I think it's obvious that you can chalk up that Giants win to their ability to pressure Romo. As the Giants offense kept going 3 and out in the 4th and giving Romo chance after chance, Romo never had time to throw and NY made the plays.

I have long been in the opinon that Schobel is a coverage sack artist. I would love this team to grab a top notch pass rusher in the 1st.

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

IMO, the reason why our secondary looked so bad at times was because there was no pass rush. Losman could probably pick apart any defense in the league if he could sit back in the pocket as long as he wanted, unfortunately that wasnt the case.
                              What came first, the chicken or the egg? You may be right. Could it be that it was bad last year, but our above average secondary made up for it? :shrug:
                              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                              X