X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

Cover two gets Smoked Again

Indy couldn't stop **** all day yesterday. Teddy Cottrell's defense outplayed them all day long. This is a FLAWED defense that has been caught up to and exploited by offensive minds nowadays. Give me a good old 3-4 any day.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

• Ferrygoat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Cover two gets Smoked Again

Last year both teams in the Super Bowl ran the cover 2....Its proven to work if you have the right players

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Ferrygoat
      Last year both teams in the Super Bowl ran the cover 2....Its proven to work if you have the right players
      Indy had the right players this year and the Bears were without a few and look where it got them.
      To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• mchurchfie
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ferrygoat
        Make no bones about it, Indy won because of their offense. The Bears had the best Cover Two in the league and Indy lit them up pretty good. The only reason they didn't get lit up by the Bears was because of their ineptitude on offense. When the Cover Two has even the most minute breakdown it is prone to getting lit up really bad and things can get ugly in a hurry.
        My Band
        daveviterna.com

Comment

• Ferrygoat
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mchurchfie
          Make no bones about it, Indy won because of their offense. The Bears had the best Cover Two in the league and Indy lit them up pretty good. The only reason they didn't get lit up by the Bears was because of their ineptitude on offense. When the Cover Two has even the most minute breakdown it is prone to getting lit up really bad and things can get ugly in a hurry.
          Were both the teams in the Super Bowl last year Cover 2 schemes? Thanks, you can look at it any way that you want, but they were there....so like i said, if you have the right players, the defense works

Comment

• Bmax
            • Aug 2003

No freeney no win....

Bmax

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by mchurchfie
              Indy couldn't stop **** all day yesterday. Teddy Cottrell's defense outplayed them all day long. This is a FLAWED defense that has been caught up to and exploited by offensive minds nowadays. Give me a good old 3-4 any day.
              You dont think that Mathis and Freeney being injured had anything to do with it? Rob Morris injured also. Indy had the best pass D in the NFL and the surprising thing about that is teams were usually trailing Indi and had to pass a lot to catch up and it made no difference.

Freeney being injured alone was a huge factor, with Mathis barely playing as well it makes perfect sense that they couldn't advance. DEs are the keys to a cover 2.

This defense has so many advantages. It's actually a brilliant concept.

Comment

• bflojohn
                • Aug 2005

Don't forget Anthony McFarland at DT. He was a big loss at DT in their version of the cover-2. Freeney, Mathis and McFarland.... wow, kinda amazing that they got that far really.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

And, guess what defense the NY Giants were playing for most of the second half against Dallas? 3 points, 141 yards, and an INT. (Also shows how important it is to get pressure from the front 4 if you are going to play Cover 2).
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Kerr
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

C'mon now...the cover 2 is not the issue. Any scheme will fail without the right players, execution and play calling.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      This defense has so many advantages. It's actually a brilliant concept.
                      Right, I've seen the brilliance all year with the Bill's defense.
                      My Band
                      daveviterna.com

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

I don't like the cover two it's predicated on speed not size. What ends up happening is as the game goes on your guys are small and fast but they tire in the 4th quarter and they are just a step slower...that spells doom against a good offense. When fatigue sets in if you are huge you are still huge.

Comment

• John Doe
                          Florida Man
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kerr
                          C'mon now...the cover 2 is not the issue. Any scheme will fail without the right players, execution and play calling.
                          And requisite experience.

Comment

• Confused
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Jun 2007

cover 2 sux. i cant see how people still support it. its flawed, overated and outdated.

Comment

• colin
                              Drew's my hero!
                              • Jul 2002

you guys make me laugh.

san diego has a 3-4 full of all stars and they got lit up by the colts.

400 yards passing with marvin harrison off?

and the colts had 4 turnovers right in SD's end, they could have easily had 12 more points kicking FGs or 28 more if they got touches, and all were on balls bouncing out of hands and unforced fumbles and fluke plays like that.

freeney, mathis, mcfarland.

3 pro bowl linemen missing.

how do you think the SD D would do missing merriman all season and then losing J.williams and olshansky? they'd give up even more yards.

if i was as dumb as half the posters here i'd swear that the 3-4 must be a worthless D, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X