PDA

View Full Version : Perfect trade for bills to make

83evans
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
JP and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Asuimha (cant spell) of the raiders.

Reason- we need a solid DB and they need a QB who has trully started in this league and some more draft picks.

Jan Reimers
01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
You mean Nnamdi Asomugha? Too hard to spell.

Goobylal
01-15-2008, 05:05 PM
I believe he hit incentives that allow him to void his final (2008) season. Meaning he'd be an UFA.

patmoran2006
01-15-2008, 05:54 PM
He's a free agent. If we need a DB like him maybe Ralph can pony up.?

And why in God's name would Oakland want Losman when they invested the first overall pick in Russell? They already have a capable backup, in fact two of them.

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Oakland just drafted Russell #1 overall, why the hell would they need JP? Come on people get your heads out of your asses.

kernowboy
01-16-2008, 03:39 AM
A better idea might be to trade Losman to Atlanta

This will allow the Falcons to draft McFadden in R1 and Losman would still be an upgrade over Harrington and the always injured Leftwich in the Georgia Dome. After Ryan, Brohm and Woodson, depth at QB in next years draft is pretty poor and we might be able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Alternatively the Vikings might be interested.

YardRat
01-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Maybe Garrett would take Romo-SuperLite in Baltimore.

LtFinFan66
01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
or Atlanta since he was offered both jobs

feelthepain
01-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Losman has no value, he's done nothing in Buffalo. Why would another team look at him and figure giving up something valuable would be a good idea? 90% of the threads here about Losman are about how he sucks, but he has trade value? I think Bill fans should consider themselves lucky to see a 5th rounder for him.

dannyek71
01-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Losman has no value, he's done nothing in Buffalo. Why would another team look at him and figure giving up something valuable would be a good idea? 90% of the threads here about Losman are about how he sucks, but he has trade value? I think Bill fans should consider themselves lucky to see a 5th rounder for him.

Good point. Id be happy to get a 4th for him

Although, this is coming from a guy whos team gave up 2 first rounders for ricky williams:laughing:

Mahdi
01-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Reason- we need a solid DB and they need a QB who has trully started in this league and some more draft picks.
Nnamdi is a FA and the Raiders already said that no matter what he will be a Raider next year... either through a new contract or they will tag him.

Dr. Lecter
01-16-2008, 07:47 AM

QBs like AJ Feely and a gimpy Culpepper fetched 2nd round picks.

Teams over pay for QBs in trades. He has trade value because he is a QB with physical talent.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2008, 07:56 AM

Teams over pay for QBs in trades. He has trade value because he is a QB with physical talent.
This is true. We will probably get more for him than we think but probably not more than a 2nd AT MOST.

gr8slayer
01-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Get it out of your head, he's going to want a big contract (and rightfully so), Wilson isn't serious about winning, thus, this won't happen.

EDS
01-16-2008, 08:40 AM

Tell that to Joey Harrington, David Carr and Byron Leftwich - three quarterbacks whose track records mirror JPs.

Dr. Lecter
01-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Get it out of your head, he's going to want a big contract (and rightfully so), Wilson isn't serious about winning, thus, this won't happen.

Yeah, because Ralph never gives out big contracts. :rolleyes:

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Tell that to Joey Harrington, David Carr and Byron Leftwich - three quarterbacks whose track records mirror JPs.
Tell them what?

Bill Cody
01-16-2008, 09:15 AM

Teams? You mean team. Both your examples were the stupid fins.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Houston gave up a lot for unproven Schaub. He really didn't blow me away this year. In fact Rosenfels played better.

gr8slayer
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, because Ralph never gives out big contracts. :rolleyes:
You keep being satisfied with mediocrity, I'm waiting for a ring.

EDS
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Tell them what?

The point is that the Bills are not getting a second, third or likely fourth round draft pick in a trade for Losman. The only QBs that garner such high consideration are (a) proven veterans (i.e., Bledsoe, Culpepper) and (b) completely untested young players who showed some promise in very limited action (i.e., Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub, etc.).

First round QBs who lose their starting jobs - particularly on teams who have an in house replacement and thus little leverage - i.e., Jacksonville w/ Gerrard, Texas w/ Schaub, etc.) get very little for their discarded former saviors.

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Losman will fetch us a 5th rounder nothing more, if we include a draft pick it will be one of our extra 3rds, i think the Bills brass is sold on our secondary, i dont think we will draft a CB on day one or get a vet, remember we got Greer, Mcgee, Youboty, Thomas, Fox, Webster, and Butler all here and all are under contract except Butler and Webster who could be easily resigned, we need to concentrate on other needs like stoppin the run, we r seriously young in the secondary and are gettin Simpson back from injury, as well as a seasoned Wilson and Wendling, and Bryan Scott if we resign, trade Losman for a DT, or DE, or LB or C, or Wr, or TE, or Hback, or FB or G and now u r talking

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Losman will fetch us a 5th rounder nothing more
You could be right but we really don't know for sure the demand for him. Maybe there is a team that is still high on him and we could get more. Maybe no teams out there want him at all and we just keep him.

ParanoidAndroid
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
You keep being satisfied with mediocrity, I'm waiting for a ring.

Why do people keep posting announcements about their dissatisfaction with mediocrity? We all want the Bills to win a Lombardi.

Before you actually try to answer that question I'd like to express that it is rhetorical in nature.

We can't change what the Bills do, so all we have is positive thoughts and crossed fingers.

If we were satisfied, we wouldn't be here.

Bert102176
01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
they have Russell and he is now their #1 guy y would they trade that for JP which would be a back up to them

jamze132
01-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Do you think before you start threads? I think you just lost what credibility you MAY have had. (I don't think there was any though...)

The Raiders selected Russell with the #1 overall pick in the draft, which has been stated mulitple times in this thread, but I had to say it again in hoping of education.

:oops:

83evans
01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Do you think before you start threads? I think you just lost what credibility you MAY have had. (I don't think there was any though...)

The Raiders selected Russell with the #1 overall pick in the draft, which has been stated mulitple times in this thread, but I had to say it again in hoping of education.

:oops:

They need a solid back up. Daunte will be released and McCown cant play for ****. You cant put you whole team set on a QB who hasnt played one game. JP will add depth and they would need a 2nd or 3rd round pick. We should offer it and see what we might get.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-17-2008, 03:18 AM
The point is that the Bills are not getting a second, third or likely fourth round draft pick in a trade for Losman. The only QBs that garner such high consideration are (a) proven veterans (i.e., Bledsoe, Culpepper) and (b) completely untested young players who showed some promise in very limited action (i.e., Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub, etc.).

First round QBs who lose their starting jobs - particularly on teams who have an in house replacement and thus little leverage - i.e., Jacksonville w/ Gerrard, Texas w/ Schaub, etc.) get very little for their discarded former saviors.

Very good point!

Cleveland could do well if it decides to trade B.Quinn or D.Anderson (in a sign-and-trade) because Quinn is an unknown quantity and some teams may like his potential and Anderson looks like he has gotten "it" in the way that he put up a big year for them this season. But, the most I could see the Bills getting for Losman is a 3rd round pick, if that, if there is a team out there that really falls in love with him.

Here's why:

1.) While this isn't a particularly distinguished QB class coming out in the draft this year, teams will always take a chance on spending a draft choice on a talented rookie that they can mold to their ways and system in the hopes he will develop into the next T.Brady, B.Roethlisberger, B.Favre, J.Montana, etc. instead of spending that same draft choice on a talented young veteran QB who has a spotty or mediocre record over the course of a couple of years of playing time and whose development appears to have stalled. Ryan, Brohm and Woodson may not be the most accomplished or best looking QB prospects to come out at the top of their draft class in recent years, but each has qualities that are likely to lead a team in need of a competent starting QB to believe that it just might be able to get one of them to develop into the QB that they need in a couple of years. And, those three QBs will go quite early in the draft: in short, 3 teams in need of a QB will spend a 1st Round pick on those 3 draftees rather than trade so much as a 3rd Round pick on a QB like JP Losman. You may disagree with their decision to do that, but that is what is going to happen--take it to the bank--and that is going to take 3 of the teams in need of a starting QB out of the pool of teams that the Bills might talk to about trading for Losman.

2.) Just because JP Losman has a strong arm, is athletic, has shown some potential to win games in his time in the NFL and is a former 1st Round draft choice, that does not put him significantly ahead of some of the other QBs who will be available as FAs or may be available through trades or roster moves or, more importantly, that he might replace.

D.Carr, has all of those same qualities and was taken higher than Losman. Why would Carolina dump him in favor of Losman? While he probably played himself into an equal or lesser position than Losman this season, the same can be said of J.Harrington. Harrington is a back-up with Atlanta, while Losman will want to compete for a starting job if he is traded. J.McCown wasn't a first round draft pick, but he has similar qualities as well. Why trade for Losman, if you can sign McCown as a UFA?

R.Grossman isn't as athletic as Losman, but he has been at least as consistent and has shown the potential to win enough to attract more interest than Losman and, like McCown, he is a UFA. Similarly, D.Culpepper may never come back enough from his injury to regain his previous form, but he was far more accomplished than Losman before his injury and a team is more likely to take a chance on him coming back than on Losman developing.

C.Pennington may be unhappy enough to force his way off the NY Jets' roster, but, while he doesn't have much of an arm left, he is one of the smartest QBs in the league and has led his team to the playoffs twice. As a back-up to a young developing QB, Pennington has more value as a mentor than Losman by far--which is why the Jets want to keep Pennington if they can. Like Pennington, K.Boller is still signed with Baltimore (for another year) and, while Boller hasn't shown that he can be any better than Losman as a signal caller or a mentor, the Ravens probably will have S.McNair coming back for one last shot at a ring to mentor Boller's successor as heir-in-waiting to the starting QB job. Why would they want to give up a high pick for Losman when they have other needs to address and their 2008 season will go down the tubes if McNair gets hurt anyway?

B.Leftwich is likely to stay in Atlanta over Harrington, but he too is more accomplished than Losman and further along in his development. If Atlanta drafts a QB, why spend another draft pick on Losman when Leftwich can hold the fort as well or better until the QB they draft develops? C.Lemon hasn't shown any more consistency than Losman and may not have the same physical attributes, but, like J.McCown and R.Grossman, he'll come cheaper.

There are teams around the NFL that need a starting QB or a solid # 2 QB, but there are also a number of QBs out there who will be or could be available that offer just about as much as JP Losman does and some of them can be acquired for considerably less than a 3rd Round draft choice.

Now, there are some teams that may be looking to bring in a young veteran QB to compete with the QBs that they already have or to fill a spot while a younger QB develops. And, one of them (or a coach) may simply love or fall in love with Losman's physical talents and be willing to give up a mid-round pick (3rd or 4th round) to get him from the Bills. While that's certainly possible, IMHO, the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

If a team does make an offer for Losman, I think that, based on his record and inconsistency, it will be a fairly low offer: 5th round or later. If the QBs at the Combine are not impressive or if the Bills are able to get a couple of teams involved in discussions for Losman, I could see them perhaps, at the most, being able to get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. If they can't get that much for him, they might be better off keeping him around as insurance as their # 2 QB next season and letting him walk as a FA simply because they would have to replace him and Losman knows their offense and would be better able to step in as their # 2 than any QB that they would bring in to do that, even if they could sign a guy like J.McCown cheaply as a FA.

I'm sorry, but, based on his performances with the Bills over the last three seasons, I just do not see any team in the NFL looking at JP Losman as a hot commodity that can come in and turn their team around or give them the kind of consistent QB play that you need to make the playoffs. And, that being the case, I doubt that any team will be willing to part with a draft choice that should net them a starter or quality rotational player.

tonyc37
01-20-2008, 10:11 PM
The only problem is that Nnamdi Asomugha is a free agent so he can't be trade until he is signed or tendered depending on what type of FA he is.

Losman4Life
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM

This actually makes sense because the raiders have a lot more talent than buffalo and JP would instantly make them a superbowl contender.

I think Russell is going to be a bust anyway and not nearly as gifted as JP is.

tampabay25690
01-21-2008, 07:31 AM
or Atlanta since he was offered both jobs

OR~ DALLAS since he is staying