PDA

View Full Version : Schonert to be named offensive coordinator

T-Long
01-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Significant change huh? (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/253078.html)

Yuck.

Bulldog
01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Can't say we didn't see this coming.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/253078.html

I honestly can't understand why Buffalo wouldn't have at least brought someone in from the outside to interview for the position. Jauron's offense in Chicago cost him his job, and this may be a little bit of history repeating.

billsburgh
01-16-2008, 07:47 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/253078.html

The Buffalo Bills are expected to make their latest coaching staff move official within the next day or two: Turk Schonert will be elevated to the offensive coordinator.

Did they even interview anyone outside the organization?

merge with the other threads on the same topic.

T-Long
01-16-2008, 07:47 AM
beat ya by a minute!

Mahdi
01-16-2008, 07:50 AM

I dont care who is OC to be honest,,,,

As long as we get some talent on offense, WR, TE, C then we will be giving whoever is the OC a chance to succeed.

Romes
01-16-2008, 07:53 AM
talk about anti-climactic :shakeno:

I will reserve judgement on him till we see the offense, but as it stands now I do not like the move.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2008, 07:54 AM
He will be charged with bringing some new ideas and tactics to an offense that ranked 30th in the NFL the past two seasons.
So instead of running left into the crowd on 3rd and 8, we'll be running right into the crowd. Great!

Bulldog
01-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm all for giving Schonert a chance, but to not even bring in one candidate to interview for the position from outside the organization is just plain stupid. What happened to the candidates that Jauron stated that he had in mind. I suppose that was said to please the fans and the job was Schonert's all along.

TigerJ
01-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I thought Norm Chow would be a very tempting alternative once he became available, but I don't dismiss the selection of Schonert as potentially a good choice. I do like the fact that the base system and terminology won't be likely to change, and I don't think that in itself need be a hindrance to the offense making significant improvements. The weakness of the offense had more to do with Fairchild's decision to go ultra-predictable working with very young QBs. Edwards will come back with at least modest experience and confidence, and I expect Schonert to come in with some pretty creative game planning.

billsburgh
01-16-2008, 08:01 AM
beginning to lose faith that this team is truly going in the right direction. Shonert may very well be a good O coordinator, but it's a joke to not even bring in anyone else for an interview. It's just plain lazy and the easy way out.

gr8slayer
01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Is this a surprise to anyone? Ralph doesn't have to pay him what he would have to pay a real coordinator. Why do you think Jauron is still around?

It's ok, he's been the "reason" we've kept the team in Buffalo for so long, he's also going to be the reason Buffalo loses the Bills once the stupid old fart croaks.

Philagape
01-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Is Ralph ever going to hire anyone again? In five years will our OC be the current waterboy? What a team of cronies. This, and the FO moves, is like nominating Harriet Myers to the Supreme Court. Turk's one and only qualification is he's here. Needless to say, a LOT of proving to do.

gr8slayer
01-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Is Ralph ever going to hire anyone again? In five years will our OC be the current waterboy? What a team of cronies. This is like nominating Harriet Myers to the Supreme Court. Turk's one and only qualification is he's here. Needless to say, a LOT of proving to do.
No, he isn't ever going to hire anyone. Have you seen our head coaches over the last decade? Wilson hires whoever says they'll take the least amount of money.

Philagape
01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I'd hate to hear the buzz about Buffalo among the agents of FAs. :ill:

Mahdi
01-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Im more concenred about who is going to be running the plays rather than who is coaching them,,,,

Schonert is the logical choice considering we have a young Qb that needs consistency around him. Look at all the young Qbs who have had multiple HC and Coordinator changes around them. Its not a successful method.

If anything this should help the most inconsistent position we have on offense. QB.

gr8slayer
01-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Im more concenred about who is going to be running the plays rather than who is coaching them,,,,

Schonert is the logical choice considering we have a young Qb that needs consistency around him. Look at all the young Qbs who have had multiple HC and Coordinator changes around them. Its not a successful method.

If anything this should help the most inconsistent position we have on offense. QB.
Good, because that poor bastard has a lot of work to do, he was terrible this season.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2008, 08:16 AM
There is nothing wrong with promoting from within. Period.

Schonert has been in the league as a player and coach for 22 years. It only seems fair to me to move him to the next level.

All of the bright and shiny names that so many of you covet were once promoted to OC, too.

Philagape
01-16-2008, 08:20 AM
There is nothing wrong with promoting from within. Period.

Schonert has been in the league as a player and coach for 22 years. It only seems fair to me to move him to the next level.

All of the bright and shiny names that so many of you covet were once promoted to OC, too.

What's fair is earning a promotion; meaning, you have to be good at what you do to be promoted. Just being around isn't enough.

Bmax
01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
i would be question this a lot more ...if the players had npt endorsed it...I think his challange will be to open if the attack with more down field throws and Crossing routes...I know he will be in everyones ear about giving him more tools to win ...A Big WR,TE in the draft or free agency wouldn't hurt.

TURK, TURK TURK ,TURK.....I CAN SEE THE SIGNS NOW TURK 182.....

FOR ALL YOU 80'S MOVIES BUFFS...

BMAX

Jan Reimers
01-16-2008, 08:36 AM
What's fair is earning a promotion; meaning, you have to be good at what you do to be promoted. Just being around isn't enough.
And Schonert hasn't done a good job? I honestly don't know for sure, because I'm not a part of the Bills' inner circle.

But I would suggest that he wouldn't have been promoted if he wasn't knowledgable, a hard worker, and a positive contributor to the program.

Will he be successful? Who knows? I' ve been in business a long time and know there is no guaranty of success with either new hires or promotions from within.

Buffatexas
01-16-2008, 08:40 AM

not that these two jobs are related, but you don't need experience to be President either...you just have to be around the game for a while.

I think Jan's post is right, any OC on our wish list, HAD to come from somewhere. So why not Turk? He could be the next Marchibroda or the next Mike Shula. We wont know until we get there and if we did hire an OC from the outside, there is no guarantee that our team would perform any better given the current makeup of our offense. If the mantra is to build your offense around the talent, then who knows our talent better than Turk?

Philagape
01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
And Schonert hasn't done a good job?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2275786&postcount=22

If Edwards turns out to be good, it would be the first good thing ever connected with Turk in his career.

Philagape
01-16-2008, 08:43 AM
not that these two jobs are related, but you don't need experience to be President either...you just have to be around the game for a while.

And how's that working out?

kernowboy
01-16-2008, 08:43 AM
I have no problem with Turk Schonbert as OC. Simply because he played under Fairchild doesn't mean he'll be as conservative. And Fairchild didn't have a reputation of being conversative when he first came.

I like the idea of coaching dynasties as there is less change for the players but this doesn't stop a new guy wanting to introduce their own ideas once they have their own stage.

After next season, or within two, I would like to see Dick replaced with either Bobby April, Perry Fewell or Schonbert. The only person I might have liked to have seen interviewed from outside the organization would have been James Lofton at the Chargers.

What we really need to look at is personnel. With a current lack of TE in Free Agency, John Carlson of Notre Dame in the 2nd or 3rd looks tempting and I will be very disappointed if we don't make a big push for Bryant Johnson of the Cardinals to be our big No2 especially if they fork out big money to bring Suggs home

Buffatexas
01-16-2008, 08:53 AM
And how's that working out?

Hey, every once in a while we get a good one, don't we?

Philagape
01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey, every once in a while we get a good one, don't we?

Just like the Bills.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2275786&postcount=22

If Edwards turns out to be good, it would be the first good thing ever connected with Turk in his career.
So, since he couldn't turn Aaron Brooks, Kerry Collins, Chris Weinke, Rob Johnson or JP Losman into Joe Montana, he's a failure? I believe each and every one of those guys had one or more other QB coaches in their careers, and they're still searching for success - in some cases, outside the NFL.

Because he can't turn dog turds into diamonds is no reason to disqualify him from promotion.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I say we give Turk a little more talent at WR and TE, and a chance to prove himself.

Philagape
01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
So, since he couldn't turn Aaron Brooks, Kerry Collins, Chris Weinke, Rob Johnson or JP Losman into Joe Montana, he's a failure? I believe each and every one of those guys had one or more other QB coaches in their careers, and they're still searching for success - in some cases, outside the NFL.

Because he can't turn dog turds into diamonds is no reason to disqualify him from promotion.

I didn't say he's a failure. And I'm not looking for a reason to DISqualify him. Promotion needs positive qualifications, not non-disqualifications. "It wasn't my fault" doesn't make for a great resume when that's all there is.
He's unproven at his current level, therefore he's even less proven at the next level.

HHURRICANE
01-16-2008, 09:23 AM
This organization is a frickin joke.

SIGNIFICANTlY BAD!!!

mysticsoto
01-16-2008, 09:24 AM

You and I often think alike apparently.

The same thought crossed my mind when I heard this. Clearly, they have decided that Trent Edwards is our future franchise QB and they wanted someone who would continue with his development and not someone who would require so much change that we end up screwing him up mentally like I feel happened to JP. JP had all the tools and the drive, but he went thru so many QB coaches, OCs, and team coaches that now he just has a potpourri of plans and ideas swirling in his head and it is probably why he seems so nervous when he plays.

I don't know Schonert enough to judge his capability, but he will likely be given some better weapons than what was available this year. We should know fairly quickly if he's capable or not.

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Turk is the move to insure there will be no growing pains with Trent, i no it is not the popular move, and i wish we brough in someone else, but contiuity should help develop this young offense, that being said
No matter who we brought in they would have done nothing without some improvement on this side of the ball
Fairchild was horrible but we need 2 WR, a rookie and a vet, we need a recieveing TE, and FB and an Hback so we can change sets and not always tell the team across from us exactly what we r doin, and we need a Mauler at C that pushs the line of scrimmage, also a vet QB backup, and some depth on the interior line

Jan Reimers
01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I didn't say he's a failure. And I'm not looking for a reason to DISqualify him. Promotion needs positive qualifications, not non-disqualifications. "It wasn't my fault" doesn't make for a great resume when that's all there is.
He's unproven at his current level, therefore he's even less proven at the next level.
We don't know that he's unproven, because we're not close enough to the situation. He may have gotten the very most out of the guys he's coached, despite their lack of physical talent in some cases, and their lack of mental agility in others.

Night Train
01-16-2008, 09:29 AM
We suck ! Let's never post here again !

( Let's see if it works..)

Night Train
01-16-2008, 09:32 AM
He could be anything but I'll refrain from throwing him under the first passing bus until he actually does fail.

TedMock
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
We shall see. I think what most people fear is running the same system that has failed us before. That's not my concern at all. The system is fine. The play book is fine. The play-calling and adjustments were horribly flawed. Same system, smarter approach works just as well. Hopefully Turk's approach is indeed smarter. Give the backs some passes, use the TE, shorten the blocking schemes on short yardage plays, etc. I don't care if we light it up or play ugly ball-control football. I want an identity that the players buy into and make work. There aren't that many plays or formations in this world. It's how they're called that makes the difference.

Romes
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
He could be anything but I'll refrain from throwing him under the first passing bus until he actually does fail.

how about we just throw him under the bus now, then say I told you so when it comes true?

if he doesn't then we will casually take back our statements and say, "glad i was wrong."

/sarcasm

Philagape
01-16-2008, 09:41 AM
The hope is we assemble enough talent to make the OC irrelevant. And Fairchild leaving is addition by subtraction; that alone makes us better off than before. So hopefully Turk can just keep the seat warm. That's better than my-way-or-no-way coaches.

djjimkelly
01-16-2008, 09:42 AM
well at least one thing im happy about this NO GM move and this joke of an OC promotion. continuity of this rubbish we have been dealing with means probabaly more mediocrity and then there DICK and company being fired sooner then later.

ill take this as a plus becuz in 2009 we should have a bunch of new faces running the organization.

i now truly feel we will miss the playoffs for this whole decade. pretty damn sad oh well

Mahdi
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
well at least one thing im happy about this NO GM move and this joke of an OC promotion. continuity of this rubbish we have been dealing with means probabaly more mediocrity and then there DICK and company being fired sooner then later.

ill take this as a plus becuz in 2009 we should have a bunch of new faces running the organization.

i now truly feel we will miss the playoffs for this whole decade. pretty damn sad oh well
All you are doing is making negative predicitions... you have no idea what Schonert is capable of. Yer bashing him because he is an unknown... I assume OC are labeled as such when they are born and are known to the world as OC in infancy. Schonert could be the next Bill Bellichick for all you know. How about giving some real and substantial reasons as to why promoting Schonert is a bad thing....

bigbub2352
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Not the time to bash yet, i am not a huge fan of the move, but Trent seemed to like Turk, had endorsement of players as well, that hopefully tells us something, plus u have to wonder if Turk was not in favor of Fairchilds philosphy, Turk and Fairchild arent the same guy, and i dont think will have the same style, so as usual we have to be patient

Michael82
01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm all for giving Schonert a chance, but to not even bring in one candidate to interview for the position from outside the organization is just plain stupid. What happened to the candidates that Jauron stated that he had in mind. I suppose that was said to please the fans and the job was Schonert's all along.
That's the key. I have no problem with promoting Modrak, Guy, Brandon, and Schonert, but to not even bring ANYONE in for a ****ing interview is pathetic! The least you could do is bring that guy from the Bears to interview to the job that Brandon got. and bring in Chow, and a couple other guys for the OC position. But Ralph apparently is so cheap that the ****ing moron can't even interview other candidates??!? Come on!!! :mad:

Mahdi
01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
That's the key. I have no problem with promoting Modrak, Guy, Brandon, and Schonert, but to not even bring ANYONE in for a ****ing interview is pathetic! The least you could do is bring that guy from the Bears to interview to the job that Brandon got. and bring in Chow, and a couple other guys for the OC position. But Ralph apparently is so cheap that the ****ing moron can't even interview other candidates??!? Come on!!! :mad:
Maybe they were intent on keeping things in house for the sake of consistency and had no intentions of bringing anyone in from the outside. If their goal was to stay in-house why bring in other candidates and waste their time and yours. Candidates will only come interview if they feel they have a real shot at the job. Unless the Bills were serious about opening up the vacancies to everyone then there would be no point in interviewing others.

Romes
01-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Did Denny's raise its prices?

raphael120
01-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Oh yeah, Schonert has shown he deserves this promotion. Here's what he has contributed on the teams in the past:

In 2005, the Saints would eventually finish the season with a 3-13 record; the last few games of the season saw quarterback Aaron Brooks being benched (and later traded to the Oakland Raiders), playing time for backup quarterback Todd Bouman and even third-stringer Adrian McPherson and, eventually, the season ended with head coach Jim Haslett losing his job.

The Giants started out the 2003 season 4–4, but lost their final 8 games to finish 4–12.<sup id="_ref-NYG2003_0" class="reference">[25] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_York_Giants_%281994-present%29#_note-NYG2003)</sup> This included 7 consecutive losses in the second half of the season, in which the Giants failed to score more than 13 points.

Lone Stranger
01-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Anyone who expected otherwise is being very foolish. It was very evident from the start, beginning with the hiring of Marv Levy, that RW was going to keep a tight reign on things and work only with people he trusted, and ,obviously, has know for some time.

I am not necessarily against this move since there is the desire for continuity particularly with all the changes that have transpired over the last several years.

FlyingDutchman
01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Kinda agree with Mahdi. While im pissed we didnt even interview anyone else, we have had ilke 5 Offensive coordinators in 5 years. Maybe they are trying to keep SOME consistency. Unfortunately over those past 5 years, we have just been consistently BAD on offense.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I dont care who is OC to be honest,,,,

As long as we get some talent on offense, WR, TE, C then we will be giving whoever is the OC a chance to succeed.

:clap:

Talent can make any coach look good. See Barry Switzer.

raphael120
01-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I say we give Turk a little more talent at WR and TE, and a chance to prove himself.

Personally, I give the BILLS one more chance before I quit wasting my time. If this is the best move for the organization and the best move to get us into the postseason, then great. But if we end up being amongst the dredges of the NFL in offense for a third straight season, the Bills obviously DONT know whats good for them.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Continuity is a big thing. Maybe we'll move from 30th to 20th ranked O :ill: Dick better have made the right decision or he's gone.

Looks like we'll be depending on the cover 2 to take us to the playoffs.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM

With more talent on offense he could be the next Josh McDaniels.

HAMMER
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Players make the plays, not coaches, not "systems". Jan is right, every coach had to get their shot at some point, Schonert could end up being an excellent OC. Yet some of you think the right thing to do is hire a "proven commodity" like Norm Chow.......that was just fired. Piss and moan, piss and moan. This place is really depressing, REALLY.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Why bring in those guys? So you can ***** and cry that they didn't hire them instead?

And **** Chow. Once he left the talented Patriots offense he didn't do crap. Bring in some talent for Schonert to work with. That is how the Bills are going to improve.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Jan I usually agree with you but at least Mularkey has some kind of success in Pitts.

Schonert has nothing in his resume to show that hecan hang in there with BB . The fins have also hired Tuna who will build a team with a strong D.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Schonert has nothing in his resume to show that hecan hang in there with BB . .

How great of a coach was BB in Cleveland?

Talent is what wins.

Coaches can look good or bad by how that talent performs on the field.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I'd hate to hear the buzz about Buffalo among the agents of FAs. :ill:
Why they could care less. They go to who offers them the most money.

njsue
01-16-2008, 10:49 AM
I thought Norm Chow would be a very tempting alternative once he became available, but I don't dismiss the selection of Schonert as potentially a good choice. I do like the fact that the base system and terminology won't be likely to change, and I don't think that in itself need be a hindrance to the offense making significant improvements. The weakness of the offense had more to do with Fairchild's decision to go ultra-predictable working with very young QBs. Edwards will come back with at least modest experience and confidence, and I expect Schonert to come in with some pretty creative game planning.

Plus the players were pulling for him, especially Lee Evans.

I expect an explosive offense. :bf1:

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
How great of a coach was BB in Cleveland? .SO maybe the bills are Shonerts Cleveland? He'll stink here and get better with his next team?

Talent is what wins.

Coaches can look good or bad by how that talent performs on the field.the PAts didn't have that much talent when they won their 1st sb.

Brady was a 2nd year player who's coaches put him in a situation to win with screen passes and Antoine Smith. As Brady grew so did the talent around him that turned a first time sb winner into a dynasty. Great coaches+ talent =dynasty. Dick isn't even proven.

Teams with proven coordinators can't even outsmart the Pats when they didn't have Welker and Moss. Now NO one can beat them. Not even the colts O.

I'm not saying he'll fail for sure but I can't see a qb coach playing chess with the Pats. I don't even think he has the X's and O's to make this O as good as the Colts.

The goal is not to improve the O, it's to win the sb !!!

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I expect an explosive offense. :bf1:
:rofl:

I wonder if the season tickets sales will go up or down.

If the new GM supposedly is a marketing guy , he should hire big named offensive players. Otherwise, there is nothing to be excited about this team and I've been called a homer here several times. The coaching line-up alone isn't exciting. The jury is out on the HC to begin with.

historypete
01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I hope Schonert stays true to his word that he is going to change the offensive philosiphy. What I got from the Bills article is that they are going to be much more aggressive. I hope so because I'm so tired of watching defenses know what we are going to run before we even get out of the huddle.

I'm not thrilled with this move, but I'll hold judgement until the season. Nobody can be as bad a Fairchild was, I hope.

LABillsFan
01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/multimedia/index.jsp?FILE_300=http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/bills/wmdemand/06billsfocus/011608schonert.wmv&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

Did anyone catch Shonert saying the players would practice plays all week, be excited about them and then not have those plays called during the game? I would say that means there was little imput from below Fairchild so Shonerts approach may be what the Bills actually along with a consistancy in coaching (whether you like them or not).

The Bills for the most part are becoming a unified team for a change, let's just see how this approach works.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Schonert Has Changes For Bills Offense

The Bills former quarterbacks coach is also expected to make greater use of bootlegs and play action, which were not called often by former coordinator Steve Fairchild, especially in the red zone where Buffalo finished 30th in the league in touchdown percentage (38.2%).

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5809

Yeah, while you're at it, call some qb sneaks too. If Volek can rush for a TD in the redzone, no reason why we can't with either qb's.

More proof than Fairchild is an idiot. Now I know it wasn't JPs fault. :snicker:

Slim
01-16-2008, 12:04 PM

The Bills former quarterbacks coach is also expected to make greater use of bootlegs and play action, which were not called often by former coordinator Steve Fairchild, especially in the red zone where Buffalo finished 30th in the league in touchdown percentage (38.2%).

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5809

Yeah, while you're at it, call some qb sneaks too. If Volek can rush for a TD in the redzone, no reason why we can't with either qb's.

More proof than Fairchild is an idiot. Now I know it wasn't JPs fault. :snicker:

Good interview.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Sounds like the perfect offense for someone who has the physical ability of a JP Losman.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Sounds like the perfect offense for someone who has the physical ability of a JP Losman.
I was thinking the same thing but thats gone and sailed.Ralphy will stick with TE.
Besides, TE is not imobile either.

Shows you it wasn't JP. Fairchild didn't know how to use his players strengths.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing but thats gone and sailed.Ralphy will stick with TE.
Besides, TE is not imobile either.

True, but is he the white Michael Vick?

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
True, but is he the white Michael Vick?

bootlegs don't require a Vick type of qb especially when running for 3rd or 4th and short. remember how Cutler ran for 4th and 5 and got it that broke our back?

Philagape
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Why they could care less. They go to who offers them the most money.

:ill:

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Shows you it wasn't JP. Fairchild didn't know how to use his players strengths.

Or Tom Clements or Mike Mularkey or Sam Wyche etc..Coach Killer

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
bootlegs don't require a Vick type of qb especially when running for 3rd or 4th and short. remember how Cutler ran for 4th and 5 and got it that broke our back?

Agreed, but it does help being the white Michael Vick.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Or Tom Clements or Mike Mularkey or Sam Wyche etc..Coach Killer
them too, they blew. Didn't nkow how to develop rookies

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 12:51 PM
them too, they blew. Didn't nkow how to develop rookies

:lmao: :up:

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
:lmao: :up:
you think the best way to develop a rookie is ignore his OL?

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 01:07 PM
you think the best way to develop a rookie is ignore his OL?

I was just laughing at the whole conversation. Nothing in particular.

HAMMER
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM

But you hate Losman. This is why we need to hang on to JP, Edwards is only one twisted knee or broken pinky away from the bench. I don't care if Losman likes it or not, we signed him, we pay him, we decide what happens next year. Getting rid of a capable back up that knows your system for a pick outside the first two rounds is short sighted.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2008, 01:40 PM
But you hate Losman. .

No I don't. I just don't think he has what it takes to be an effective NFL starter. Nothing wrong with him being a backup.

This is why we need to hang on to JP, Edwards is only one twisted knee or broken pinky away from the bench. I don't care if Losman likes it or not, we signed him, we pay him, we decide what happens next year. Getting rid of a capable back up that knows your system for a pick outside the first two rounds is short sighted.

Any Veteran FA QB's out on the market this off-season? If not then I don't see why they should trade JP.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Any Veteran FA QB's out on the market this off-season?.continuity is the theme of the bills this offseason

If not then I don't see why they should trade JP.
he cost more than TE and Ralphy don't play that

ParanoidAndroid
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/multimedia/index.jsp?FILE_300=http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/bills/wmdemand/06billsfocus/011608schonert.wmv&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

Did anyone catch Shonert saying the players would practice plays all week, be excited about them and then not have those plays called during the game?

That is absolutely terrible!

Looking back, it's now obvious how little Faichild put into this offense from development to play calling. No dedication whatsoever. He was in Colorado already.

jamze132
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything but I think the Mods will merge threads that need it without someone telling them they need too...

joekurtz
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I was originally let down by today's announcement when I saw it online as well.
Let's face it, it's ALWAYS more exciting to hear about new blood with bold new ideas coming into an organization & that's what we we allhoping for. Anything else is anti-climactic. Which, promoting Turk, most definitely was/is.

But, once I got an opportunity to digest it a bit, read about the guy's credentials & more importantly, how the Bills players feel about him. I 've begun to think that this just might have been the best move for the team after all.

Although it would have been exciting to see someone new come in with an impressive reputation who would have probably talked boldly about all the bells & whistles he was going to install for next year, sometimes "new" is definitely not better. Nor does someone's past positive results & their body of worktranslate to success elsewhere or everywhere they go.
All we need to do is just look back to this past decade's plethora of OCs as proof positive of that. Remember when Kevin Gilbride & Mularkey & even Fairchild were seen as offensive "gurus" who were BOUND to set things on fire on One Bills Drive?

Yeah, Norm Chow sure seemed like a sexy alternative to consider to me as well, but, again, if he's such a genius & a "sure thing", then why did the Titans just cut him loose? I'm sure there's tens of thousands of Titans fans who're just as happy to see Chow gone as we are to see Fairchild in our history.

So, with Turk having his player's motivated to produce for him & with him ready to infuse the system that's already in place with his own ( hopefully MUCH more productive ) identity, I'm willing to put my faith in him for next year.

justasportsfan
01-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, Norm Chow sure seemed like a sexy alternative to consider to me as well, but, again, if he's such a genius & a "sure thing", then why did the Titans just cut him loose?

Young. He's not a pocket passer. Another Vick.

tampabay25690
01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
This guy will look like a start next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This team is so close to BREAKING OUT....YEA I said it BREAKING OUT!!!!!!!

If they make some moves and draft well with the injuries last year this team will be in the PLAYOFFS!!!!

RedEyE
01-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Not sure about the move just yet but I do like the sound of this:

I'm going to be aggressive," he said. "My philosophy is going to be a little different than my predecessor. I'm going to eliminate some things and add some things that I believe in."

He wants to revert to a two-back offense that uses a fullback. Last year, the Bills lined up their tight ends in the backfield. He also plans an audible package to allow Edwards to change plays at the line.

"I expect to put some things on his shoulders," Schonert said. "If he sees something that is a disadvantage for us, I want him to make it an advantageous situation by checking to the right thing. We didn't have that last year. I think he can handle it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80607587&template=without-video&confirm=true

Philagape
01-16-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm going to be aggressive," he said. "My philosophy is going to be a little different than my predecessor. I'm going to eliminate some things and add some things that I believe in."

He wants to revert to a two-back offense that uses a fullback. Last year, the Bills lined up their tight ends in the backfield. He also plans an audible package to allow Edwards to change plays at the line.

"I expect to put some things on his shoulders," Schonert said. "If he sees something that is a disadvantage for us, I want him to make it an advantageous situation by checking to the right thing. We didn't have that last year. I think he can handle it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80607587&template=without-video&confirm=true

I like him a little more now :up:

Nighthawk
01-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Honestly, if we aren't already, we are slowly becoming the worst franchise in the NFL.

Novacane
01-16-2008, 10:45 PM

I wasn't crazy about the move at first but this makes me feel a lot better. Sounds like he thinks Fairchild was an idiot. Not having an audible package? Thats pathetic. I'm for giving him a chance :up:

historypete
01-16-2008, 10:52 PM
http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=2804

A couple of quotes in this make me happy. I'm still reserving judgement on this, but so far, and I know its only one day, but I really do see a change in philosophy between him and Fairchild. I particulary like the idea of moving Evans around. I was saying that months ago. Fairchild needed to protect Lee by finding favorable matchups against the defense, but he never did. It seems like Schonert realizes that was a huge problem and he is going to fix it by being more aggressive. I hope this guy puts together a creative offense because I can not stand watching the same crap that has been put out there for the past few seasons. Give me some flair, creativity and a willingness to attack.