PDA

View Full Version : 2008: A campaign in waiting

kernowboy
01-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Now it seems we have our OC, this is a personal opinion on how I'd like to see the offseason develop

QB: Its now Edwards team. Trade JP for a Day1 pick as QB depth isn't that great in the draft, if necessary getting a pick for 2009
WR: Sign BRYANT JOHNSON - 5years/$30m; he plays tough, can be a legit No2, has deep speed and is only 26. Maybe draft a big WR on Day1 as well
TE: Nothing in free agency but I like John Carlson, Notre Dame (6ft5, 255lbs, 4.7secs). Re-sign Gaines
RB/FB: Maybe pick up a true FB like Matt Hahn in R7
OL: Merz or Preston to replace Fowler. I still think Duke can become a serviceable C. We lack depth so one or two Day2 picks here

DE: Tempting though Gholston is, with all the money in Schobel, Kelsay and Denney, I would hope for them to bounce back
DT: A need. Not sure on Sedrick Ellis but I do like the look of Pat Sims and Dre Moore and would love it if we could grab both
LB: Its ok, but if Dan Connor slid to the 2nd, I'd nab him giving us a Connor-Poz-Crowell starting line up with DiGiorgio and Ellison as great depth. We could alternatively pick up Teddy Lehman in FA
DB: At S we're ok, but CB is a worry with Youboty's lack of development, I'd be looking at a R2 pick up in Rodgers-Cromartie, Porter or Flowers fitting the bill

In the draft, I don't think Gholston will fall to us and whether he is a 100% need. I'd trade down, get an extra Day1 pick and do something like this

R1. (trade down) Pat Sims, DT
R2. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
R2 (trade down) John Carlson, TE
R3 Dre Moore, DT
R3 (McGahee-Ravens) Titus Brown DE/OLB

on Day 2, with a R4, two R5, a R6 and a R7, I'd consider a WR, a couple of OL, a QB and a FB

but the big Free Agency signing must be Bryant Johnson

As for 2009 I fear we will be shopping for a QB again as I'm not sold on Edwards so will be keeping an eye on Broekmann's progression with the Buckeyes

I know its early days but if the season started tomorrow this is what I hope we would have done.

Romes
01-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I was with you till you mentioned Preston at C...the guy can't shotgun snap nor block. two big problems if you are a center.

Night Train
01-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Regardless of the specific names, your general plan as far as needs is very good.

Not sure Auburns Pat Sims would pass the character test with the Bills. He quit the team at one point and had some off-field issues. He did return strong but scouts will really study this guys head before drafting him.

I doubt the Bills will get a high pick for JP but hope I'm wrong.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Now it seems we have our OC, this is a personal opinion on how I'd like to see the offseason develop

QB: Its now Edwards team. Trade JP for a Day1 pick as QB depth isn't that great in the draft, if necessary getting a pick for 2009
WR: Sign BRYANT JOHNSON - 5years/$30m; he plays tough, can be a legit No2, has deep speed and is only 26. Maybe draft a big WR on Day1 as well
TE: Nothing in free agency but I like John Carlson, Notre Dame (6ft5, 255lbs, 4.7secs). Re-sign Gaines
RB/FB: Maybe pick up a true FB like Matt Hahn in R7
OL: Merz or Preston to replace Fowler. I still think Duke can become a serviceable C. We lack depth so one or two Day2 picks here

DE: Tempting though Gholston is, with all the money in Schobel, Kelsay and Denney, I would hope for them to bounce back
DT: A need. Not sure on Sedrick Ellis but I do like the look of Pat Sims and Dre Moore and would love it if we could grab both
LB: Its ok, but if Dan Connor slid to the 2nd, I'd nab him giving us a Connor-Poz-Crowell starting line up with DiGiorgio and Ellison as great depth. We could alternatively pick up Teddy Lehman in FA
DB: At S we're ok, but CB is a worry with Youboty's lack of development, I'd be looking at a R2 pick up in Rodgers-Cromartie, Porter or Flowers fitting the bill

In the draft, I don't think Gholston will fall to us and whether he is a 100% need. I'd trade down, get an extra Day1 pick and do something like this

R1. (trade down) Pat Sims, DT
R2. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
R2 (trade down) John Carlson, TE
R3 Dre Moore, DT
R3 (McGahee-Ravens) Titus Brown DE/OLB

on Day 2, with a R4, two R5, a R6 and a R7, I'd consider a WR, a couple of OL, a QB and a FB

but the big Free Agency signing must be Bryant Johnson

As for 2009 I fear we will be shopping for a QB again as I'm not sold on Edwards so will be keeping an eye on Broekmann's progression with the Buckeyes

I know its early days but if the season started tomorrow this is what I hope we would have done.
Why give Bryant Johnson so much money? He has never proven anything. I would sign him for sure but we can get him for cheaper

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Also why about Preston, other than the fact that he has been a complete bust gives you the opinion he can replace Fowler? I am not high on Fowler but he is better than Merz and Preston.

kernowboy
01-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree about Pat Sims but he returned to the team, has since shown good character, has played and worked hard and last season did really well despite playing most of it with a broken hand. I've not heard the specific nature of these 'off-field' issues but sometimes they can be relatively minor. A 6ft4, 315lbs beast who runs a sub-5.0 sec 40 is worth serious consideration considering the current porous nature of our DL.

Concerning Fowler he simply lacks the bulk to take on the likes of Wilfork, Robertson and whoever the Dolphins sign for their 3-4. Merz and Preston are current inhouse options (and Preston only in desperation)

Steve Justice is just too light at 280lbs but maybe Doug Legursky or John Sullivan can be picked up Day2 and step in. Whilst people will mention light centres like Koppen and Nalen, Fowler is not in their class

kernowboy
01-16-2008, 10:32 AM
And when you consider that Johnson has had to play with Boldon and Fitzgerald both of whom have averaged 82rec a season with 1092yds and 1136yds average, his figures of 42rec and 535yds are good for a No3. His yds per catch avg is only slightly less, and basically as one of the few decent big receivers in FA, we will be paying through the nose. He'd be the perfect experienced big No2 compliment to Evans, a seasoned pro who Edwards would not need to break in

jamze132
01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that Round 3 picks are now Day 2 picks.

X-Era
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that Round 3 picks are now Day 2 picks.

Yes they are. I dont really think it matters though they still are 3rd rounders.

jamze132
01-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Yes they are. I dont really think it matters though they still are 3rd rounders.
I know; what I was trying to convey was that "Day 1" picks were what everyone wanted to have. Now that the 3rd round has moved to "Day 2", I don't think "Day 2" is as bad as it once was. The 3rd round going over there gives it a little more credibility.

YardRat
01-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Justin Gage.